Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > One of Many

Chapter Eight

by skitter160 0 reviews

Category: Naruto - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Romance - Characters: Gaara,Rock Lee,Shikamaru,Temari - Published: 2011-07-13 - Updated: 2011-07-13 - 1909 words - Complete

0Unrated
One of Many

Authoress: Skitter160

Disclaimer: I don't need to tell you it's not mine. Because if it were I would be making you pay not handing it out for free.


“Lee…” Gaara looked over at his friend as they ate breakfast together. Lee had shown up at his door rather early that morning. “Is something wrong?” Having slept a bit longer the night before Gaara was in a relatively great mood since compared to his usual one hour he had been able to get five hours of sleep.

“I just didn’t think about how much I would miss everyone.” Lee admitted sadly. He knew he would miss his friends any idiot would know that. But having gone around the day before seeing their saddened expressions just before they congratulated him was not helping in the realization that he loved it here and it was the only home he had ever known.

“…” Gaara looked at Shikamaru, who had also joined them for breakfast, for help. Gaara didn’t really know what to say on that matter. After all the few people he cared about were in Konoha and Suna.

“I’m going to miss them too.” Shikamaru said looking over at Lee. “But that’s not to say I don’t want to leave. I love Temari and want to be with her. As long as that out weighs my pain at leaving I can do it. So all you need to do Lee is think about why your leaving and it will become easier and less painful.”

“Yosh!” Lee made a sudden nice guy pose. “Your right! Your youthful thinking has saved me!” Lee smiled brightly before sitting down to eat again.

Gaara and Shikamaru exchanged a look. They had both seen right through that and neither really liked Lee faking being ok in their presence but they let it slide as Temari entered the room. “Do you always take this long to get ready?” Shikamaur eyed his fiancé playfully.

“No.” Temari smirked and winked before taking her seat. “I take longer.”

“Lee let’s go visit Naruto.” Gaara said as Lee finished his food.

“That’s a good idea.” Lee’s smile felt a touch more genuine as they got up. “At this time he’s most likely bothering the ramen shop owner for handouts.”

Gaara smirked at how Naruto that was. “Well then let’s go buy him a bowl.

Temari looked over at her brother and Lee and smiled softly to herself before looking over at her fiancé. “So wanna go shopping?”

Shikamaru gave her a look like a deer caught in the headlights. “That’s the first time you’ve asked me instead of just dragging me into it.”

“Is it bad that I asked?” She gave him a sweet smile that told of terrible things if he answered wrong.

“It’s not bad just nice.” Shikamaru took her hand kissing it. “I love you.”

Temari smiled pulling him closer with her hand. “I love you. Now let’s go shopping.”

+++

“Naruto!” Lee called out to him as the owner and him were arguing about the merits of handouts.

“Lee!” Naruto turned away from the owner who huffed off annoyed.

“Would you like some ramen?” Gaara asked coming up behind Lee placing a hand on his shoulder almost leaning over in a possessive way.

“Sure!” Naruto turned around to see Neji in the stand eating already TenTen sitting next to him her arm in a sling. ‘Wait…Didn’t Lee say that he told Gaara about the lunch dates?’ He glanced back at Lee and Gaara who was possessively looking over Lee’s shoulder. ‘….Does Gaara lo-like Lee?’

“Something wrong Naruto?” Lee looked over at Gaara who quickly removed his hand then back at Naruto. “Let’s eat.” Lee entered the shop followed by the other two. ‘I wonder why Gaara looked so…’ He couldn’t quite place the look Gaara had given him but it was something he had never seen Gaara have before. It made him shiver slightly but not in a bad way it made him want to give into the thoughts he sometimes had about his red headed friend. Though he didn’t really know if it would be a good idea to try to hug Gaara much less hold him close.

TenTen felt Naruto and Gaara enter and she knew it would be with Lee. Looking worriedly over at Neji she saw that his eyes were already glued on him as he called out to them.

“Neji, TenTen!” Lee waved joining them at the bar he took a seat next to Neji and Gaara sat down next to him he didn’t need to look at him to know that Gaara was upset. ‘Why would Gaara be upset about me sitting with my team?’ “What happened to your arm TenTen?”

Neji cringed when attention was brought to the injury he had given her. It was in their training and the only reason it hadn’t gotten worse was that Naruto and Hinata had come in just in time. Naruto had stepped in and knocked him out or TenTen would have been hurt much worse.

“It was a training accident.” She smiled softly. “Don’t worry about it. It doesn’t hurt much.” She looked at Neji as she said this more as if she was telling him than Lee.

“Well let’s eat!” Naruto exclaimed not wanting to go over the events of the training anymore. He ordered his food as well as his companions and they sat talking and eating for quite awhile. He noted Gaara’s odd behavior towards Neji and he knew he was right. ‘But he doesn’t know it.’ He sighed mentally and looked at Lee. ‘He looks totally oblivious to the fact that they are vying for his attention.’ They weren’t being extremely obvious or anything just the air around them was of dominant males over a woman they both wanted.

Lee was also picking up some sort of vibe but was thinking it was his fault. ‘Did I make them mad? Is it awkward? I thought they got along well…’ Lee looked over at Naruto and saw that he was glaring at Neji and shaking his head. Looking back at Neji he saw him frown and sigh before turning to TenTen and saying something quietly while she nodded.

“Well we need to be going.” TenTen stood slowly. “Be sure to let us know when your leaving Lee.” She gave Naruto a look relaying that Neji wasn’t in a train til he drops mood before leaving.

Naruto smiled to Lee and Gaara. “Lately Neji has been in a bad mood.” He nodded as if to assert that he was right. “Don’t let it get to you.”

“That’s true.” Lee nodded as well looking over at Gaara and striking up at conversation about the ramen he was eating and the air around them became more relaxed.

Naruto looked at them talking and knew he was right about Gaara and he suspected Lee didn’t feel much differently but was more aware of his own feelings. ‘I’m sure Neji picked up on that to… This is not going to be pleasant.’

+++

“Neji…” TenTen said as she followed him to their most commonly used private training spot.

“TenTen he likes him.” Neji said slowly before punching a tree. “Lee likes Gaara.” He punched the tree again. TenTen remained silent as he went on continuing to punch the tree. “I don’t have a chance…Lee already likes someone.” The tree groaned from his punch. “I love him.” He punched the tree once more leaving a dent before turning back to TenTen. “What should I do?”

TenTen thought a moment, this wasn’t the first time he had asked her this but he rarely talked about it. “I don’t know Neji, this is a mission just as much as Lee wants to go. The fact that Lee likes Gaara…Well I don’t know that for a fact but it seems like it yes.” She couldn’t bring herself to tell him that he most likely stood no chance but she knew her facial expression was all too telling.

Neji looked at her and understood. “I need to be alone.” He said quietly and turned away from her. He knew she would watch over him to make sure he didn’t hurt himself as he began training but he didn’t care.

+++

“Gaara…” Naruto looked over at his friend as Lee left them to go meet up with Guy Sensei.

“Yes Naruto?” Gaara drew his eyes away from Lee’s retreating figure.

“Why…Why does it have to be Lee? Do you know?” Naruto knew Gaara probably wouldn’t be able to answer but he could tell he had been thinking about it. And he knew this would be a good time to talk about it.

“I…I don’t know Naruto.” Gaara looked past him over his shoulder before standing and waiting for him to follow as they took off on a walk. “I know he’s special and it has to be Lee for this but I don’t know why.”

Naruto frowned he could tell Gaara was asking for his opinion but he wasn’t sure how he could tell him what he thought without it freaking him out. “Well if you want my opinion you will have to be extremely open minded.” He gave him a very serious look.

“…” Gaara frowned slightly quickly thinking about the possible ideas that Naruto could have ranging from the impossible to the unthinkable which was Naruto’s way of everything. “Tell me.”

“…” Naruto evaluated the serious look that was returned and sighed. ‘How do I say this?’ A few moments passed and Gaara didn’t look away his eyes demanding an answer. “It’s not something I can tell you all of.” Naruto finally said slowly and he nodded. “I know you know that you like Lee…” He nodded again slowly not quite understanding what that had to do with anything. “It has to do with that.” Naruto concluded telling Gaara anymore than that was a very bad idea.

“…” Gaara gave him a confused look.

“I know that it doesn’t make sense yet Gaara. But I can’t tell you why either until you understand it better yourself. Knowing you like Lee is a start though so go from there.” Naruto smiled.

“…” Gaara nodded slowly and they continuing walking and ended up near the ninja academy. Looking around he began thinking about what Naruto said. ‘I like Lee…’ He let the thought sink in but found no new thoughts emerged.

“So when will you be leaving?” Naruto looked over at Gaara trying to bring back conversation.

“The end of the week.” Gaara looked unseeingly at the streets they passed. “I wonder if Lee will be ready by then…”

“…” Naruto looked over at him frowning. “I’m sure Lee will be ready. He’s really looking forward to it.” Naruto knew Lee also liked Gaara and he had a feeling that before the week was up he would be approached by Lee as well. He was each of their’s best friend after all. From then Lee wasn’t discussed as they spent time catching up. And Naruto made sure to make him promise to write him back every week.
Sign up to rate and review this story