Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > One of Many

Chapter Fourteen

by skitter160 0 reviews

Category: Naruto - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Romance - Characters: Gaara,Rock Lee,Shikamaru,Temari - Published: 2011-07-13 - Updated: 2011-07-13 - 2047 words - Complete

0Unrated
One of Many

Authoress: Skitter160

Disclaimer: I don't need to tell you it's not mine. Because if it were I would be making you pay not handing it out for free.

Looking through the paperwork on his desk Shikamaru frowned. ‘I know I told Lee there would be missions but this is a little soon.’ He looked over the file and noticed it was Gaara who had signed it and was to accompany Lee. ‘Maybe he’s starting to realize how deep his feelings run?’ He thought about the last three weeks and how much closer the two had gotten and he was quite sure that they would figure it out soon. He stamped his approval and forwarded it along with his other completed paperwork. He would have to wait to reply to the letter that Sakura had sent with the quickest carrier.

+++

Kankuro was sparring with Lee for one of his training sessions when Captain Saitou came up to them. The misty look in his eyes while watching them was not missed by the older sand sibling and he stopped the sparring. “Is there something you need Captain Saitou?” Kankuro demanded kind of annoyed that he had interrupted the time Lee had set aside for him.

“No I was just watching.” Captain Saitou smiled and Kankuro found himself wanting to punch the man as his eyes traveled up and down his companion.

“…” Lee didn’t say anything finally taking note of how odd Captain Saitou actually was behaving.

“Well it’s disrupting the time Lee set aside to for me. If you don’t need anything get lost.” Kankuro growled and the captain sputtered away. “Sorry about that Lee.” He looked over at the green clad shinobi and saw the confusion in his eyes. “Is something wrong?”

“Not really.” Lee lied. He couldn’t stop thinking about the up coming mission with Gaara and the letter he had just received from Sakura. It had informed him of Sasuke’s recovery and on a side note how the first thing he asked about was Lee. He felt terrible knowing how Sakura felt for the other male, and the fact that he didn’t have a clue as to why Sasuke would ask about him left him feeling even worse. “Maybe we should wrap up for the day?” He suggested sensing Gaara nearby awaiting his turn. “Gaara is waiting for me.”

Kankuro nodded and signaled his brother over to him. “Cheer him up will you?” He told him as he walked by not paying any mind to the odd look his brother gave him.

“I have something I want to show you before we train today.” Gaara said taking one look at the other shinobi before walking past him and towards the city expecting him to follow. ‘I wonder why he looks so worried and upset.’ It never occurred to Gaara that he normally just didn’t notice these things on anyone.

“What is it you want to show me?” Lee asked jogging up to him before walking in pace.

“You’ll see when we get there.” Gaara smirked over at his green clad companion before turning back to look at the street he was following leading them towards the gate.

“I can’t wait!” Lee smiled brightly and hoped no one would notice it was dimmer than usual. Of course in Konoha the whole village would have noticed and attacked him with either gift offers to cheer him up, questions to why his smile was down, advice, or various other things. He was actually almost floored when one of Suna’s residents came up him, even though they looked a little hesitant with Gaara standing there.

“Is something wrong Lee-san?” The old woman asked and both Lee and Gaara stared at her a moment as she bowed to her Kazekage before looking at Lee.

“No I’m just excited to see what Gaara is going to show me!” Lee smiled brighter truly happy, albeit confused by a conservative Sunan approaching him about his mood. He did however notice her freeze when he called her Kazekage by his name.

The old woman gave him a skeptical look before nodding and smiling slightly. “I’m sure our Kazekage will show you some of the wonders of Suna, Lee-san.” She nodded once more to her Kazekage before heading back to her business and it was then they noticed how many people were actually watching.

Lee smiled at them once more before turning to Gaara. “I don’t think that happens much.”

“It doesn’t.” Gaara said smiling slightly himself causing the still looking Sunan’s to frown then smile widely as their young Kazekage placed a gentle hand on Lee’s shoulder. “Let’s go.”

Lee nodded smiling brighter and not mentioning that Gaara’s hand was still on his shoulder as they left the city.

+++

“Sasuke!” Naruto yelled entering the hospital room where he was currently under going tests from Sakura and the Hokage alike. “You’re finally awake!” He ran over to his bed looking at the other boy happily.

“Naruto…” Sasuke looked away from the cheerful blonde in shame.

“Sasuke I don’t hate you, I won’t say I’m not one pissed off friend but I’m still your friend!” Naruto growled causing the other male to look at him.

“Naurto…” Sasuke looked away from those blue eyes trying not to think about everything he had done to hurt the man before him. “I’m sorry.” He said softly but the whole room heard it.

“You better be.” The blonde said before wrapping his arms around his lost comrade just as the testing ended. “Don’t think we won’t make you make up for what you did.” He said letting go and both wiped the tears from their eyes.

“Am I interrupting?” Sakura asked standing in the doorway and both smiled at her. “I’m glad to see you’re here Naruto. Last I heard you were on a mission.”

“I was.” The blonde scratched the back of his head feeling slightly bad for greeting Sasuke before telling Hinata he was back.

“She’s in the hall.” Sakura smiled at the blonde already knowing his thoughts. “Actually most of the rookie nine are in the hall but they thought they should give the former team seven some time.” She smiled sadly as she stepped into the room. “I’ve missed you Sasuke.” She said stepping up to the bed giving him a hug like Naruto but refusing to let her tears out for if they started they would not stop. This was her first real visit to see him outside of work.

“I missed both of you.” Sasuke looked down at his hands trying to ignore the feeling they were covered in blood. “But there is nothing great enough to atone for what I did.” His former teammates smiled sadly at him before hugging him again though this time together.

“You won’t know unless you try.” Sakura said into his ear.

“She’s right.” Naruto agreed pulling back looking at his friend closer. “I hear you were asking about Lee though… Why?”

“He said I was needed.” Sasuke looked over at the blonde. “Do you know why he would say that?”

“I have an idea.” Naruto discreetly looked over their pink haired comrade. “I’ll have to tell you later though.”

Sasuke nodded and they sat and talked for a few more minutes before the rest of the rookie nine came in to visit.

+++

“What do you think of this request Tsunade?” Shizune asked looking over the piece of paper that she had been handed.

“I don’t know what to think.” Tsunade clasped her fingers under her chin leaning towards her desk. “I mean anyone can tell that Konoha misses the presence of the Beautiful Green Beast. But is that really enough of a reason to fetch him back?” She glanced out her window going over the recent events. ‘Even the Uchiha has recovered because of his absence and asked about his whereabouts. But is that really enough to force Lee to return?’

+++

“So what do you think?” Gaara asked looking over at Lee instead of the closest oasis he had just shown him.

“It’s beautiful!” Lee exclaimed happy to see trees and a small pocket of water in the middle of them, the trees were date trees and there was even a flower or two.

“This is what our mission will be protecting.” Gaara sat down under a tree and looked over at his green clad companion taking note of how well his new dessert clothes looked on him. Nodding his satisfaction with both his clothes and reaction he closed his eyes a moment feeling his companion take a seat next to him.

“Did you bring Shikamaru out here?” Lee asked looking up at the tree they were under.

“No. I haven’t brought anyone else out here. Only you.” Gaara answered placing his hand over Lee’s finding it not to be too warm despite the heat. ‘I like Lee.’ He found himself thinking about his feelings while he felt their hands shift so they were more comfortable for both. ‘I think he’s the only one I like, like this at least.’ And before he could think anymore he found himself leaning over and placing his head on the taller man’s shoulder his mind getting fuzzy.

“Gaara?” Lee asked quietly but found that he had somehow fallen asleep. Of course Lee knew that he was able to sleep now but he was very surprised that he was able to sleep near him, well on his shoulder even. He allowed him to sleep for at least an hour before waking him. “We should head back.” He told a sleepy eyed Gaara.

“Did I fall asleep?” Gaara asked lifting his head the surprise evident in his features. ‘I’ve always had trouble sleeping…’

“Yes but only for an hour.” Lee smiled at him as they stood. “Don’t worry I watched over you.” He didn’t really want to tell him that he had been happy about Gaara being able to sleep near him, to him it should have been obvious.

“Thank you.” Gaara smiled back. “Let’s go home.” Lee nodded in agreement and they headed back to the city. Neither of them really voiced much on the holding hands as they walked back.

+++

Temari was worried. Lee and Gaara had not returned home and the last time she had seen them an old woman had approached them about Lee’s dimmer smile, something she knew Gaara was going to fix. She had been happy about the outcome but she was worried they weren’t back yet and night was falling Shikamaru was sitting beside her telling her she was over reacting and Kankuro was making dinner. Something he did when he really didn’t want to think too much.

“We’re home!” Lee cried opening the door and taking off his shoes as Gaara did the same. Entering the living room he smiled sheepishly at Temari, who was no longer mad about the cupcakes but looked rather angry about something.

“Welcome home.” Shikamaru smiled at them and Temari did the same letting go of her worry.

“You’ll never guess who’s cooking.” She smiled at her brother. “He said something about Captain Saitou being a pervert then went into the kitchen and began cooking. We may need to buy some more food sooner than expected you know him.”

Shikamaru and Lee gave them a questioning look before they heard Kankuro hollering from the kitchen. “Food’s ready!” Their eyes almost popped out of their skulls at all the food he had prepared. “I was thinking.” Was all that he said on the subject of why.

+++

“Neji…” TenTen looked over at her teammate and sighed he was doing more exercise again. “You need to eat.” She said shoving a plate of rice balls in his face before he could attack the post again.

Neji paused from his training to look at the food and the green color of the seaweed made him think once more of Lee. ‘I’ll get him back.’ He told himself before eating.
Sign up to rate and review this story