Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > 179 Ways To Annoy Someone

#78- pay for your dinner in pennies

by StormVandal 2 reviews

Gee works the late shift at McDonalds.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor,Romance - Characters: Frank Iero,Gerard Way - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2011-09-03 - Updated: 2011-09-04 - 866 words

5Funny
Yeah, yeah, I know. Frank's a vegetarian. However, he is not a vegetarian in this story. Also, I didn't know the price of a Big Mac combo, so I made one up.

#78- PAY FOR YOUR DINNER IN PENNIES.

Standing behind the counter at McDonalds, 17-year-old Gerard Way sighed. He was working the late shift again and it was boring as hell. At this hour, there were practically no customers. He supposed he preferred this to working the lunch shift, when it was crazy, but still. He was bored.

Suddenly, the bell above the door jingled. Gerard's head snapped up and he grinned. "Hey, Frank," he said, greeting his regular customer.

Frank was the good part about working the late shift. He came in almost every day during his break. He worked at a nearby supermarket. He was really sweet, really funny and really attractive, although Gerard tended to disregard that.

On days like this, when there were literally no other costumers, Frank would pull up on of the stools from the bar to the counter and eat his food there, and tell Gerard funny stories from work and school, because he went to a different high school than Gerard. Aside from the difference in schools, the two had a lot in commin- they both loved The Misfits and Green Day and comics and Batman. Gerard also knew that Frank played guitar and lived with his mom, and for some reason Gerard had told Frank that he likes to sing, although he's still not sure why he revealed that.

Basically, Frank was pretty awesome. And he was Gerard's- dare he say it?- friend. Which was pretty huge, considering that before he met Frank, his only friends had been his brother, Mikey, and Mikeys friend Ray.

No matter what shit had happened in his day, Gerard's heart would always lift when Frank walked into the McDonalds, and today was no different.

"Hi, Gee!" Frank exclaimed, bounding across the room. As he bounded, something made jingling sounds in his pocket. "Big Mac combo, please!"

"Sure," said Gerard, ringing it up. He went into the kitchen to give the order to the cook on duty. When he returned to the counter, Frank grinned devilishly at him.

"What?" Gerard asked warily.

Still grinning, Frank reached into his pocket and pulled out a huge bag of pennies. On a piece of masking tape on the bag, it said "$11.43".

Gerard stared at him incredulously. "You've gotta be kidding me."

Frank just looked at him expectantly.

Sighing heavily, Gerard tipped the bag out onto the counter and started counting. He got to 23 before stopping and glancing at Frank with an are-you-fucking-kidding-me sort of look on his face.

Frank, to his surprse, looked vaguely disappointed.

"What?" Gerard asked again.

"Nothing. I- I was just hoping you'd ask me to pay in cash," said Frank, shuffling his feet and looking down.

"Um... why?"

"Uh... uh... well... uh..." Frank stammered. He seemed to be losing his nerve over something. Finally, he took a deep breath, seeming to steel himself, looked Gerard in the face and said, "If you'd asked me to pay in cash I would've agreed..."

Gerard frowned at him. "If you were going to agree to pay in cash, why the fuck would you try to make me count 1,143 pennies?!"

"You didn't let me finish."

"Sorry. Go on."

"I was going to agree to pay in cash IF... you'd, uh... agree to... uh... maybe go out with me sometime... if you're not too busy...?"

Gerard stared at him, mind racing. And then he laughed. "Dude, did you just ask me out?"

"Um... yeah...?" Frank squeaked, turning red. "But... you can just forget about it, I mean, if you don't want to..."

Gerard looked down at his hands, thinking. Frank was really attractive and awesome and fun to be with... and he was apparently interested in Gerard, and if Gerard was going to be totally honest with himself, he was interested in Frank. Ah, what the hell, he thought. Might as well give it a shot.

He looked back up at Frank, who was looking very apprehensive (and rather embarrassed) and grinned.

"How about next Saturday afternoon? We culd go to a movie or something. Are you free?"

Frank's eyes widened slightly and he slowly smiled. "Yeah," he said. "Yeah, I'm free."

"Great! So it's a date," Gerard said, chuckling as Frank pumped his fist and exclaimed "Yes!"

Just then, the cook called from the kitchen that the order was ready. Gerard went and grabbed it, getting some questioning looks from the cook because of the huge grin on his face. When he handed Frank his food, Frank reached into his pocket and pulled out a twenty.

"I gotta get back to work," he said, handing it to Gerard and winking. "Keep the change."

He turned and practically skipped out the door. Gerard watched him go, grinning more than he would have thought possible in normal circumstances, but these were not normal circumstances at all- he'd just been asked out by the very attractive Frank Iero via pennies.

He had a very good feeling about this.

Thank god he worked the late shift.

~Fin~
Sign up to rate and review this story