Categories > Celebrities > 30 Seconds to Mars > The Volcanologist

A New Problem

by Mazwe 0 reviews

The team are sent to watch another volcano - one most dangerous and well-known - much to Jared's horror. They move to their new location and begin their studies.

Category: 30 Seconds to Mars - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Published: 2011-10-09 - Updated: 2011-11-04 - 910 words - Complete

0Unrated
We got the results from the lab from the previous eruption and made notes of it too. It all helps.

It is the end of November now, and we have just received that phonecall we have been waiting for. Another disturbing mountain, and a very famous (or infamous?) one at that.

"Mt Vesuvius is active."

We look at each other wide-eyed and open-mouthed, before looking back at our superior. We knew it was possible but...

I'm the first of us to speak. "We know its active. Its always an active volcano - flickering between active and dormant."

"Well this time, it is active, I mean really active. Threateningly active. Everyone is on ORANGE ALERT - WATCH. But we fear the worst, and we want you to investigate."

"Us?"

"Yes. I know you're 'your own boss' and I obviously won't interfere. You 3 have a sixth sense about this - one of the best teams I've got. All I ask is that you be careful and check back regularly. Inform me of any changes as soon as you can! This could be the big one."

We know what that means.

We know the dangers. Our superior knows we won't do anything stupid, so he's giving us an opportunity. Its our chance to see a Plinian eruption.

I'm sure you've heard of Pompeii? It was an ancient Roman civilisation, sitting near Mt Vesuvius. The eruption in A.D.79 completely buried the town, and it was forgotten. When they found it, everything was carefully preserved in the pyroclastic flow - like the cloud had encased it. The type of eruption was named after the man who documented it - Pliny. The only other Plinian eruption I could think of was that Mt St Helens eruption of 1980. But now I'd get to see one with my own eyes.

We'll be leaving in 2 days time. Needless to say, Jared is not impressed. He doesn't seem bothered that I won't be with the family for Christmas, but more that I won't return.

"Where are you going for this one?"

"Italy. They're worried about Vesuvius."

I can tell the name rings an alarm bell in his head. Deep in thought, he tries to think where he's heard that name before. "Vesuvius... Pompeii?! The one that buried Pompeii?! You're going to that volcano?! Are you serious?!"

This is my brother worried. He doesn't know about Plinian eruptions or anything, he doesn't know about what really happened in A.D.79, all he knows is that the volcano claimed so many lives and he doesn't want me to be its next victim.

"Yes Jared, I am going to Italy to study Vesuvius. I will be with 2 other people you know and you can trust. And I will be fine." He knows that tone in my voice. He knows its like he's nagging me. But he just says its because he worries and hopes I'll come back unharmed and alive.

"Tell me a bit about what you're studying before you go?"

"Even I don't know yet, so I'll tell you when I get back. If anything does happen, we'll try and get videos if you want to watch." He knows I'm not telling him anything yet because I don't want him to worry. He knows I wouldn't be going there unless there was a big threat.

He has no choice but to take my word for it. He worries every time I'm away. "Promise me you'll call. Or even a text will do. Just let me know you're alright.

And we're off! Taking only our necessary items and our equipment, we board the plane to Italy, and our new guide and translator meets us on the other side.

The first thing we have to do is check ash emissions from the mountain. The main team on the other side of the world - the ones that have been monitoring this volcano - check it for us. They confirm that it is safe to go in the helicopter. Moving quickly, we are taken to the crater to get the first aerial view. Luke makes a video. It looks calm so far. But when our feet touch the ground, we know things are far from calm. Standing just outside Pompeii, we feel tremors.

"B-waves?" Dannielle suggested. I agreed.

B-waves - long-period waves - I can only describe as the second stage of earthquake activity before eruption. Magma was definitely rising, there was no indication of the actual volcano swelling with it... yet at least... The next stage would be harmonic tremors, ash and smoke, and imminent eruption. Luckily no-one lives nearby, but this place is marvelled at by tourists, so we have to close the dangerous area. Especially if this is 'the big one' we think it could be. A full Plinian eruption, complete with an ash cloud reaching high into the stratosphere, explosive enough to damage the mountain, pyroclastic flows, deadly gases. If its a short eruption, it could end in less than a day. If its a long eruption, it could last months.

Dannielle puts a device in the ground so we can measure seismic activity. All we can do is keep viewing the mountain for any changes in shape, and monitor the tremors. We can study this one from a safe distance.

A/N Hopefully I have finally fixed all the problems and errors while posting this fic. Comments are welcome - please let me know what you think so far :)
Sign up to rate and review this story