Categories > Games > Final Fantasy 7

What Little We Knew

by secondhandangel 0 reviews

Rude and Aeris attempt to find comfort from an unwanted surprise in the woods.

Category: Final Fantasy 7 - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Romance - Characters: Aeris Gainsborough, Rude - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-06-17 - Updated: 2006-06-18 - 537 words - Complete

1Original
It was funny how the darkness seemed to fill the space between them. Her eyes met his in the moonlight that filtered in through the dusty window. This wasn't the time or the place for some secret rendezvous and it really wasn't the intention at the time. It wasn't supposed to happen like this, with tear stained cheeks and messy hair. She wasn't supposed to give up this way.

Rude crossed through the darkness and reached out, brushing at the fresh tears that were starting to run down over her cheeks. A heavy sigh escaping him, he was never good with comforting words, especially when the situation was hurting him more than he would have liked to admit himself. He could feel her shoulders heaving from the run she had taken out of the woods and back to the inn. He knew she felt embarrassed, ashamed, and hurt by what she had seen. He opened his mouth to speak, but she raised her and in protest.

She didn't want to hear any words, no "I'm sorry you had to see him kiss her" from the Turk's lips. She didn't want his sympathy. She was breaking her own rule to be strong and not cry, especially in front of someone who was her supposed enemy. She wondered why he even seemed to stand there now, hovering over her, touching her face so carefully. He was the one who had caught her spying on Cloud and Tifa; shouldn't this be his time to chuckle at her for being so foolish?

Rude reached up and lightly smoothed back the stray hairs that poked from her braid. As beautiful as he thought Tifa was, Aeris had her own unique beauty that seemed to capture those that came near her, drawing them to her. She had pulled him in now, he hadn't struggled either. He didn't know why he had chased after her into the night. It may have been to hide from the heavy stone of pain growing in his chest when he had witnessed the two embracing under the tree, or was it the look of anguish that had washed over her face when she had noticed he was watching her watching them?

Aeris reached up and rubbed her face stubbornly. A part of her wanted to pull away from him, but so much of her was aching to move closer just for the moment. She made a small step forward and buried her face against his chest. She took a deep breath and felt his arms move around her. He smelled earthy and she closed her eyes, letting his hands weave into her hair.

He felt the pain in his chest subsiding at last, feeling her breathe against him. Did she understand how he was feeling too? The dust in the vacant room was getting to his sinuses and he buried his face into her hair, that green materia winking in the corner of his eye in the moonlight. He shut his eyes tightly and held her close.

This wasn't like broken bones or dishes that could be placed neatly together, but for once each of the broken peices hoped that just being two halves could make a whole.
Sign up to rate and review this story