Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Learn to Fly

Learn to Fly - 4

by Poppana 4 reviews

Sequel to Fly Away, Dance on the Milky Way. Over a year has passed, and Gerard is reunited with his daughter Gia. She has a lot to hide, and Gerard finds that she has grown up and changed.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2011-12-04 - Updated: 2011-12-04 - 1216 words - Complete

5Original
Chapter 4: These are all of my cravings

Gia sat on her bed, cross-legged, with a gigantic pink unicorn on her lap.

“This is ridiculous,” she laughed, looking at the unicorn.

“Hey don’t blame me,” Gerard grinned. “It was Mikey’s idea.”

They were up in her room, catching up, and Gerard had given her a pile of presents people had told him to bring her. Gerard was walking around the room. Gia figured that he was looking for drugs or signs of any sinful things that she may have done in his absence.

“And what is this?” Gerard asked, picking up a photo album from the bookshelf.

“Those are the photos I took last Christmas,” Gia said. Due to Gerard’s demand that he gets to spend time with his daughter even on Christmas, Gia had gone to New Jersey for a week, and during that week she had taken a ton of pictures (most of which were of Bandit because the girl loved being in front of a camera).

Gia picked up another item from the large bag of presents. This one was just an envelope, and when she opened it, she found a drawing.

“Oh this is so cute!” she gasped. “Did Bandit draw this?”

Gerard looked embarrassed. “Actually… That is from Frank.”

The smile faded from Gia’s face. “What is it?”

“I think it’s a monkey?” Gerard guessed, looking at the picture. “Anyway, your mom mentioned something very disturbing.”

Gia panicked, going through all the worst-case scenarios in her head. She hadn’t been exactly quite as good as she had let her father believe.

“This Sean guy…” Gerard started, and she sighed in relief.

“Dad, I know what you’re going to say. And you have nothing to worry about. He is a nice boy. We have never gone any further than held hands and kissed on the cheek. He is slightly older, but he is still in high school and he has good grades. He doesn’t ride a motorcycle, and he plans to become a lawyer like his dad.”

Gerard scrunched up his nose in disgust. “A lawyer? No way is my daughter dating a lawyer wanna-be.”

Gia rolled her eyes. “Oh come on.”

“I’m going to want to meet this guy,” Gerard said sternly.

The girl sighed. Sensing that his daughter wasn’t quite as cheerful anymore as she’d been before, Gerard suggested that they go out and she can show him around.

_______________

Gerard told her about life on tour, the new album they had been promoting, and most importantly life at home with Lindsey and Bandit.

If there was something Gia missed the most about New Jersey besides her dad, then it would be her little sister. Bandit was always happy to see her, always forcing her to play, and always drawing Gia pictures to put on the wall of her room in her “other home”, as Bandit called it.

And as they were catching up, Gia told him about school, friends, what she had done in general. Gia was very careful to avoid the topic of boys. She did not want to talk to him about Sean.

Hours later Gerard and Gia found themselves at a Starbucks. Gia had already been there once that day, but she could chuck down as much coffee as humanly possible and she still wouldn’t get tired of it.

As they were ordering their coffees, Gerard found out something shocking.

“Can I have a Vanilla Frappuccino, please?” Gia said to the guy behind the counter, and Gerard stared at her in awe.

“Wow, you drink coffee?” he asked. He would’ve thought that she’d order a tea or a smoothie or something, but never coffee. That was one gene that she did not inherit from him. Gerard was a coffee-addict, whereas Gia had never cared for it. “Since when?”

Gia shrugged. “It’s been a while. I don’t know why I started drinking coffee, but now I could waste all my money on it and I would not regret it.”

Gerard looked pretty pleased. “I guess you are a Way after all,” he said as he was paying for their coffees. “Just wait until Mikey hears about this.”

“Oh, shut it. Just because I wasn’t born a coffee addict doesn’t mean I’m not a Way.”

“Fine. Okay, where do you want to go next?”

“There’s a cute toy store that I’d like to go to. I want to buy something for Bandit. What does she like these days?”

Gerard laughed. “She’s gotten really fascinated with the piano. She loves playing it. Unlike you, you freak.”

“Oh come on! I played it for years and I sucked at it!” Gia complained. “I prefer the guitar. Maybe I’ll buy Bandit a guitar, then?”

“Please don’t,” Gerard frowned. “She has enough instruments to make noise with. And knowing her, she’ll just end up jumping on the guitar or hitting it on the ground. That girl is so rock ’n roll!”

“I can’t believe she’s already so grown up,” Gia sighed. She had missed a lot. “I mean, what is she, 14 months?”

“Yeah. And she misses you a lot, too. You should’ve heard the tantrum she threw when she heard I was coming here and she had to stay home. You should come see her.”

Gia smiled, but didn’t reply. She did want to go see her little sister. And her step-mom, uncles, and her friends, and her dog. She missed everyone she loved. But she knew that if she went over there, it would be so difficult to leave, it always got harder.

“Why won’t you come back?” Gerard asked, the tone of his voice changing drastically. Talking about Bandit always made him happy, but whenever the conversation turned to Gia’s living arrangements, all of a sudden he sounded… Well, unhappy. Like his family really wasn’t complete with her being away. It made Gia sad to know that she was the reason he was so upset.

“Dad, you know why,” she sighed. Regardless of missing her life in New Jersey, she just couldn’t go back. “My life is here now. I have friends, a boyfriend, family, my mom would snap if I told her I was leaving, and… I don’t think I can go through that change again.”

Gia wasn’t the same girl that left her life in Belleville to start a new one with her newfound mom. No, she was more mature.

And Gia had to admit, she was a bit worried that her family may not accept her the way she is now. All her life she had been good, done what she was told, and acted like she was little miss perfect. Now… Things were different. The homework, house chores and innocence had been turned into parties, alcohol, cigarettes and sneaking out at night.

Gerard knew that the topic made her feel worse, and he quickly changed it by starting to tell her about the stupid things they did on tour.

_______________________

A/N: Slightly boring chapter, I know and I'm sorry. Still, some reviews would be nice, if you're in the mood to leave one.
Sign up to rate and review this story