Categories > Movies > Labyrinth > One Last Wish

I Wish

by WhispersOfStarlight 1 review

Anna makes her choice.

Category: Labyrinth - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Horror,Romance - Warnings: [!!] [V] - Published: 2011-12-06 - Updated: 2011-12-07 - 734 words

1Moving
The song in this chapter is Sleep Song by Secret Garden. (I know that the singer is a woman, but it is supposed to be his mother's lullaby.)

Jareth had only seen such resolve in one other and he could not even go near her, no matter how much he wanted to. He knew Anna did not have long, but he did not want to see such a spirit fade into nothingness. He had to move fast, if there was any chance at all.

"You do not have to let this be the end, little one. Take my offer, and you will want for nothing, you will be whole once again. Say yes, I implore you, say yes." He pleaded with her as his magic gathered in his hands, forming a crystal, that he held up for her to see.

Anna looked into the crystal, at the dreams within, the dreams that she wanted so badly to come true. She shook her head back and forth, tears streaming down her pale face.

"Not even a wish can bring back my mommy and daddy, Goblin King, they are in heaven waiting for me. They have been waiting too long already."

She looked up at him, the tears long since stopped, and asked, "How many wishes do I get to make?"

"Two, Anna. Only two." His voice wavered.

Her head tilted to the side and she let a brilliant smile grace her features. That only made his vision swim and his chest tighten. He stood and turned, setting her back on the bed. He made to move away, but a hand on his arm stopped him. He looked down at the fragile little girl, and as she placed a cold little hand against his cheek, a silent understanding passed between them. He nodded and moved away as another coughing fit hit her, again bringing blood to her lips. The tears were still fresh on her cheeks as she spoke her last wish.

"I wish the Goblin King to have a chance to make things right with Sarah Williams!"

The magic surged within the room and as she laid back upon her pillow, a long forgotten lullaby came to his mind. My mother's lullaby, the one she used to sing all the time. Well, the little girl deserves all the support she needs at this moment.

The words of the lullaby passed from his lips into the air,

Lay down your head and I'll sing you a lullaby
*]
[*Back to the years of loo-li-lae-lay.

*]
[*And I'll sing you to sleep, and I'll sing you tomorrow.

*]
[*Bless you with love for the road you may go.

*]
[*May you sail fair to the far fields of fortune,

*]
[*With diamonds and pearls

*]
[*At your head and your feet.

*]
[*May you find kindness in all that you meet.


Her eyes slid closed as she slipped into a deep sleep. Her breathing was slow and deep.

He continued, even though the tears which distorted his vision slid down his cheeks, and his voice was hoarse.

Now fall off to sleep,
*]
[*I'm not meaning to keep you.

*]
[*I'll just sit for a while

*]
[*And sing loo-li-lae-lay.


The steady beeping that was her heart beating slowed, and her breathing got more shallow with each ragged breath she took.

May there always be angels
*]
[*To watch over you

*]
[*To guide you each step of the way.

*]
[*To guard you and keep you safe from all harm.

*]
[*Loo-li-lae-lay

*]
[*Loo-li-la-


The slowing beep faded into a continuous tone. His voice broke as a cry was caught in his throat. He sat down hard into the seat behind him. The crystal held within his hand slipped free, falling only to shatter upon the hard floor below.

She was gone. Such a precious soul lost to the clutches of death. Jareth smiled through his tears, she was defiant to the end, just like his Sarah.

He jerked forward in his seat. Sarah! Will she even listen to me? Does she even remember me? What if the wish Anna made was not granted? What will I do? Where is-

A shrill alarm and the sound of running footsteps down the hallway stilled his thoughts.

"Thank you Anna. I will never forget you or your strength. I will not let your wish be in vain. Goodbye, little one." With a flourish of glitter and light he was an owl once more.
Sign up to rate and review this story