Categories > Anime/Manga > Ranma 1/2 > Perfect Chaos

Perfect Darkness

by Montymouse 0 reviews

Sorry, that's a secret!

Category: Ranma 1/2 - Rating: G - Genres: Crossover - Characters: Ranma - Published: 2005-05-28 - Updated: 2005-05-28 - 8082 words

1Original
Disclaimer: I do not own Ranma ½, Sailor Moon or Slayers Anime/Manga. Ranma ½ belongs to the lovely Lady Rumiko Takahashi. Sailor Moon belongs to Naoko Takeuchi and finally Slayers belongs to Hajime Kanzaka. This story is created solely for entertainment purposes and no profits are gained from writing this.
" " Speech
[ ] Thoughts
Perfect Chaos
By Montymouse
Chapter Five - Perfect Darkness
*
Present, Nerima
The Nekohanten . . .
Somewhere at the back of the Chinese restaurant was a special room, which only the Amazon Elder, Cologne had direct access entry into. Even Shampoo, her great granddaughter wasn't allowed into the room without her permission. Mousse on the other hand would usually try to sneak in and obtain some of her magical trinkets without actually knowing what it was he was trying to take. No matter, the results would usually be the same. Ranma Saotome would adapt to overcome Mousse's temporary advantage one way or another. Duck boy would always fail and was severely punished afterwards, not just because he had fail but for simply taking the trinket without Cologne's permission.
Now, the secret room was roughly square in shape, wasn't particular large or small. There were a couple of wooden shelves on one wall, a simple cabinet and a creaky cupboard that needed oiling. Both the cabinet and the cupboard were filled with bits and pieces like trinkets, beads, lockets and jewels including the infamous reversal jewel that she had used a few weeks ago.
Cologne rubbed her eyes and leaned back in her chair as she felt the onset of a splitting headache. The whole affair of making sure that her great granddaughter's personal honour remained unstained and in tact was proving to be more difficult and troublesome than she had originally thought when she first arrived in Japan. All she had to do was to make sure that the troublesome male returned back with great granddaughter and everything would return back to normal, so she thought.
So far, all her attempts to do so have led to failure either due to something going wrong or that Ranma simply managed to adapt or overcome the trap, which in some cases actually surprised her. Cologne had known from her experience not to underestimate her future son in law or what he was actually capable of. Just like the time when she taught him, the Kachü Tenshin Amaguriken and the powerful Hiryü Shöten Ha. Two of the most secret techniques that the Amazon had to offer, and to be honest, Cologne really didn't expect him to succeed let alone able to master them to almost a fine art.
Cologne sighed as she finished reading one of the old faded manuscripts. She had just spent the last few hours looking through from manuscripts like this one, scrolls and books and so far, it had been fruitful search. Cologne swore that she had seen this particular crystal shard before during her youthful days. Her memories of those years have been increasingly hazy and difficult to recall.
"Hmm . . . I know I'm missing something, it has to be here," murmur Cologne as she took a quiet sip of her herbal tea before gazing at the crystal shard next to her on the table.
The dull and lifeless crystal shard that she had taken from that immature young girl was proving a challenge for the Amazon Eldar. She had sent word back to village inquiring about the crystal but so far received no word from them yet. The crystal shard was quite unique in way that all traces of the magic used to make son in law disappear had complete vanished. In her experience, magical items such as this would usually leave a small trace of residual energy or magic after being used. The residual energy would then be used as a starting point to trace the origins of the magic and hopefully the identity of the user.
Cologne had already ruled out the Phoenix and the Musk Dynasty as the magical energy they often use are quite easy to tell and very distinctive. So far, none of her research on the crystal shard had given her any clues on what was its purpose and most importantly, what was it meant for?
Deciding to call it a day, Cologne looked out of the small window and notice that it was almost the time for the restaurant to start opening for the evening service.
"Hmm . . . where is my great granddaughter?" Cologne said and placed her cup down on the table. "She and Mr Part Time should be here getting the cafe ready?"
Cologne knew that those two weren't here. Otherwise she would have felt their presence in the restaurant since she came back from the school. Cologne carefully wrapped the crystal shard in a black silk cloth before placing it in a secure locked drawer. She was about to reach for an old manuscript from stack of old Chinese and mandarin books when suddenly she felt something that caused her to pause for a moment.
[Now where have I felt that before?] Cologne thought as she tried to determine what it was she had just felt. Cologne definitely knew she had felt this before but where . . .
Cologne snapped her finger together as she realised where she had sensed this before. It was in Furinkan Koukou High School. She had felt this before and that was in the school grounds where her son in law had disappeared because of that foolish girl's reckless outburst.
Although she dismissed it earlier because it was far too faint to make a logical analysis, the magical residual that she was picking up now had the same exact signature. Deciding to find out the source before she lost it again, Cologne reached for her trusty cane and hopped out the restaurant, making sure it was locked and the restaurant sign was put out.
"Hmm . . . This needs investigating, son in law, you won't escape me that easily."
Elsewhere in Nerima . . .
At Ucchans . . .
"So Ryoga . . . what's with those flowers?" Ukyo Kounji asked as she started to open her restaurant. Ryoga just happened to wander pass as usually was sweating like a pig despite being in his human form. It was at that moment that she saw the bunch of white and red roses in his hands.
"Huh . . . oh, this? This is for Akane, now that Ranma is gone, she will be mine," Ryoga pronounced much to the amusement of the Okonomiyaki Chef.
"Really then . . . the last time I heard, Kuno just announced that stupid challenge again on who ever beats Akane Tendo, can date her or something like that. It's really silly considering the fact that the result is always the same."
"WHAT!" Ryoga exclaimed and was about to smash his fist on the table to vent out his frustrations when he felt something pointing near his neck.
"Don't even try it, buster! My insurance premiums are way to high this year, I can barely afford it, okay!" Ukyo kept her sharp spatula an inch from Ryoga's neck.
"Sorry," Ryoga said and bowed his head down in shame the moment Ukyo removed her spatula away from his neck.
"That's better," Ukyo turned around and started to prepare the batter mixture and ingredient for the punters that would be coming for the evening service.
"Err . . . Ukyo . . . shouldn't you be doing something, you know like getting revenge for the disappearance of Ranma, your fiancé. Kodachi and Shampoo are already doing something but you taking it, way too easy."
Ukyo turned to face Ryoga and smiled. "Oh I have been things to do right now than worry about my Ranchan." She replied and started mixing up the batter with a wooden spoon.
"Hey Ukyo, what's with that bracelet on your wrist, it's the first time I have seen you wear something like this?" Ryoga asked.
Ukyo paused in her cooking and slowly placed her cooking tool on the table. She started to cover the bracelet with her kitchen towel and smiled pleasantly.
"Shouldn't you be giving you're flowers to her by now," Ukyo said.
Ryoga's eyes widened and immediately rushed out the Ucchans. "Thanks!"
[That was close] Ukyo thought and examined the bracelet that she had on her wrist. The bracelet was pearl white in colour. Ukyo then looked up and saw some of her regular punters outside the restaurant door.
"Ranma, I do hope you forgive me," She whispered and wiped away a single tear than ran down her face. She knew that everything would work out eventually and started to brighten up.
Making sure that her bracelet was concealed properly, Ukyo walked around the kitchen area towards the front door to start opening up the restaurant. It was at that point, she notice the Amazon Elder Cologne hopping past her in the general direction of the school. Ukyo smiled as everything was going exactly as she wanted it to be.
Juuban District . . .
Somewhere else in Japan was a weird looking fire breathing standard Youma causing havoc and carnage in the streets of Juuban. Until that is when something appeared in the distance that caught its attention. The Youma simply looked up in disbelief and pointed, as the two figures stood on top of a car in fancy pose.
[There are two of them?" Wait till the guys hear about this!]
The Youma couldn't believe what the creature was seeing. From what the creature had heard from the other whipped Youma, the most annoying and painful thing about attacking Juuban was a particular blond hair girl in a really short skirt crying out REALLY CORNY speeches about peace, justice and cleansing of evil.
The Youma was starting to regret leaving its patented earplugs, the moment the dark hair girl opened her mouth.
[DAMMIT MAKE IT STOP! I'M SORRY FOR ATTACKING! I'M SORRY FOR CAUSING THIS DESTRUCTION! PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!] The Youma roared out in it's own native tongue.
The source of the outrage was directly pointed at Amelia Will Tesla Saillune, Princess of Saillune.
"Heh . . . still works even here," commented Gourry. Amelia leapt down from the car and looked around, it was completely deserted, except for the Youma.
"Gourry, first we tackle this fiend then we find our friends, okay!" Amelia shouted.
Gourry sigh a little as Amelia stumbled on loose rock, and unsheathed his magical sword. "Here we go again."
*
Past, Saturn
Military Training grounds . . .
"Taris," Ranma whispered when he suddenly recalled the name of the commander of the Saturn Guard.
Ranma's memories of the commander and his Ran's old friend surfaced as soon as he saw the man's face. Hotaru leaned slightly to her right to see past Ranma and smiled pleasantly at the man walking towards them. She instantly knew who he was and lowered her sparring weapon.
"Princess Hotaru, it is a honour and pleasure to have your presence here, it has been while since the last time you were here," Taris said and saluted in the traditional military fashion when greeting members of the Royal house of Saturn especially the Crown Princess of Saturn.
[It's good to see the Princess so happy and strong, both mentally and physically] Taris observed and mentally noted down for later references. He also noted that she seemed to have a much brighter glow to her than in recent months since Ran's disappearance.
Hotaru blushed slightly before giggling softly, as it was quite funny to see him act this way.
"It's good to see you too, Commander Taris. I must admit you certainly know how to run a tight ship here. How are you doing, Commander?"
"As always, Princess," Taris answered politely. "The Saturn military guard are always at your disposal. You give me too much credit, Princess."
Hotaru nodded. "Only when credit is rewarded to those who are due."
"That's true." Taris replied and turned towards Hotaru's sparring partner.
"It's been a long time, hasn't it, old friend," Taris clasped Ranma's shoulder and greeted him. "Next time, you go off on one of your missions, it would be nice to know where you are going."
Ranma smiled as best as he could while Hotaru watched the two old friends with a soft smile. Ranma knew from his current memory set that Taris Madok was a close friend and ally and that he could always confide in him with everything. Taris knew him more than anyone else did so Ranma knew he had to trend carefully otherwise the Commander might suspect that something was off.
"I'll keep that in mind, like the Princess has said, how are things here?" Ranma replied as calmly as he could.
[Hmm . . . he does seem to be Ran Greystar. There is something a little off about him] Taris thought as he carefully took the moment to study his friend. [I'll better keep a check on him for now. Seems like Hotaru is convinced that this Ran, otherwise he would be dead right now]
"Just as you left it, Ran. I see that you are back to your old habits," Taris commented. "Hmm . . . now that you mentioned it, they have been a bit slacking off since you left."
Taris looked in the next training arena where a group of new recruits where being put through their paces in a strict training regime. "Hmm . . . now that you are here, I hope you have the time to put them through their paces."
Ranma was about to respond to his suggestion but Taris turned to face Hotaru. "If that is alright with you, Princess?"
Hotaru smiled and held Ranma's arm tightly. "Just let me have him a little while longer."
Ranma raised a curious eyebrow and looked at her for a few moments. Afterwards Ranma reflected her smile before both of them started chuckling softly.
[Her smile is even cuter than Akane ever was] Ranma thought.
Taris grinned. "As you wish, Princess."
[Same old Ran. Hmm . . . he seems to be a little less stubborn or brash, perhaps something has happened to him during his disappearance] Taris thought and decided to invite them to his personal quarters for refreshments and for security reasons.
"Princess, Ran, please come with me, there is much to talk about, plus we need to catch up on old times," Taris said and swiftly turned to leave as soon as he got the nod of acknowledgement from both of them.
Taris walked off the training ground, soon being followed by Ranma and Hotaru.
A few hours later . . .
Ranma Saotome aka Ran Greystar and Princess Hotaru had just left leaving Commander Taris alone in his personal quarters in the Saturn Military complex. Taris had taken the time review some of his doctrines and reports. An hour later, Taris was beginning to grow weary of the catalogue of betrayals, double crosses and plain, human unpleasantness he unearths in the last two months.
Deciding that he earned himself a small break, Taris pushed himself away from his desk and poured himself a strong measure of the local brew of choice on Saturn. The liquid was cloudy in appearance with a distinctive bitter taste but said to have soothing properties. He didn't really care about the benefits as it did the trick and down his drink immediately. He then poured himself another drink.
Taris knew that the other courts could not be trusted, each one of the planets in this system distrusted each other and political scandals were a common place. Assassinations were rare and to be honest, he did wonder how Queen Serenity and her Lunar Court managed to keep in order in the system. The return of Commander Ran Greystar had already caused an impact in the political scene, not that he wasn't surprised by that turn of events. Ran was a highly respected officer of the Saturn Royal Court and Military, a deadly fighter and strategist. Along with his engagement with the Princess of Saturn, Ran had become a very influential figure.
Taris stared at the bottom of his half empty glass for a few moments, gathering his thoughts together and wondered where to go on from here.
He then returned to his chair and activated the display terminal on his desk. The corner of the display blinked with a dozen messages but he ignored it. He knew without looking, it would be another invitation to a pointless lunar ball or something. Unless he received a direct request from the Queen of Saturn which he would personally honour the request. He was very highly respected and had a very high status amongst the nobles and noblewomen due to his aristocratic background. Invitations to dine, to hunt, to drink and partake in other, less savoury pastimes had come in from every single planet including Pluto, Uranus and Neptune who rarely invite anyone to their parties. He had politely declined them all as the last time he and Ran went to one of those parties, the Princes of Uranus and Neptune 'close' display was really getting too much for his liking and shortly left on some excuse he made up.
Taris leaned back against his chair and smirked when Ran called the Princess of Uranus something and almost lead to all out brawl between the two. If it wasn't for Taris literally dragging Ran out of the ball, things might have gone differently which would have cause troublesome political scandals. It wasn't until later, that Ran explained to him that it she who made the dreadful and hurtful rumours about Princess Hotaru. Taris understood completely why Ran acted the way, he probably do the same but in very subtle way.
"Very subtle indeed," Taris grinned as his thoughts turned towards Ran Greystar.
Interesting enough, genetically and biological tests has so far reveal that Hotaru's fiancée was really who he was claiming to be, Ran Greystar, Grandmaster, Commander and Royal Knight of the Saturn Court plus Guardian to the Princess. Taris had managed to gain some of the genetic samples when he invited Ran and Hotaru for a drink earlier ago and had immediately sent the glasses and hair fibres to the labs for analysis. Normally he wouldn't do this to an old friend without his permission but times were changing and he had to be one hundred percent sure that he was claiming to be. Hotaru would have never approval of this but for the security and protection of the Royal House of Saturn, it was his duty.
Taris then turned his attention back to the terminal display and scrolled down the data information he had collected over the last few weeks.
"Nothing . . . just nothing." Taris analysis the current security procedures before shutting down the terminal.
Taris pushed himself away from the terminal and finished his glass. He had an early start tomorrow and wondered what else he might uncover. He had told his generals and liaisons to report anything that was unusual. He looked over to the secure safe in the wall, hidden behind the portrait of the younger Taris Madok, where he had secreted the box. He fought the urge to access the contents as he made himself promise that he would open the box in a dire situation.
"Hmm . . . tomorrow is another day. Another long day indeed."
*
Immortal Realm . . .
Chaos stood on the edge of the restricted zone. He knew that time was short, the fall of the Moon Kingdom of the Silver Millennium was getting closer and closer. He contemplated about what he was about to undertake and considered the consequences of his actions.
"Hmm . . . " Chaos looked at his memo notepad for the last time before putting it away.
The future he had foreseen was too painful to witness again. He had saw madmen made kings, brutal warlords who burned whole words as fuel to generate their personal power, whole civilisations wiped out in a instant for insane reasons. He also had enough of Ranma being bashed about and Hotaru beaten up for the hundredth time, also Lina being tease for . . .
"Time really does hit hard when she mad." Chaos said and rubbed his cheek with his hand.
Normally the Immortal would become bored and would sometimes make excursion into real space and cause wanton chaos and havoc, but it was empty and meaningless. There was no sense of satisfaction or achievement from doing so. It wouldn't normally bother him but when he saw the future and seen what was to become to his chosen three, had caused him to think about his path. No one really remembers the achievement of what he did plus he really had enough of following the rules of the ancient ones.
"Screw it, I'm going in," Chaos said and took a step into the restricted zone.
"It's now or never, for their future. She has to be here."
*
Past, Saturn . . . the next day
Ranma Saotome was mediating quietly on the green lawn in the enclosed crystal dome, which housed the Saturn Royal garden. The green grass was freshly cut and trimmed. The scent of the exotic plants and flowers reached his senses. On the far side of the lush law, which is covered is covered with bright, stands a six-sided plinth of pure white stone, engraved with runes. There was a sense of peaceful tranquillity, which to Ranma was a perfect place to mediate and gathering his thought together.
Commander Taris Madok was exactly the person he remembers him to be. Ranma upon meeting him, he did feel a sense of suspicion from the commander at first. He couldn't blame for acting this way as he had been gone for quite awhile without a trace. Princess Hotaru had to attend one of those boring audiences but she promised she would meet up with him as soon as possible. Ranma knew that it was going to be awhile, and decided to take the time to mediate in peace and had been doing so for a good hour or so.
[Well, Akane, it's seems that you got your wish] Ranma thought.
His sword was always with him. A slight chuckle escaped his lips as he would've have look distastefully at using weapons in combat in Nerima but now . . . he just couldn't part away from his sword.
Slowly opening his eyes, Ranma laid back and looked up at the crystal dome and wondered how Nerima was doing without him. The grief and trouble he received from his rivals and fiancée was driving him mad and would've have done something crazy. He knew for sure that the tomboy had sent him here with that penchant she had in her hands. The next thing he knew it, he woke up here not just in a different location or planet but also back in time. Ranma sat upright when he realise what time it was and did expect that Hotaru should be finished by now with her audience.
Just as Ranma was about to get to his feet, the Queen of Saturn entered the royal garden. Her dark and silky hair spilled around her shoulders. She was clutching a small garland of flowers in her hands and was dressed in a long dark dress. Behind her were three silver armoured royal bodyguards that accompanied her, but kept a respectful distance. It wasn't until she knelt in front of a large collection of flowers that she noticed her daughter's fiancee in the corner of her eye. Smiling softly, she straightened, brushing the folds of her long dress and turned to face him. She gave a slightly nod to her Royal Guard, which the Captain easily understood that she wished to be left alone and began to fall back to the edge of the garden. The Queen then gracefully made her way towards him. Ranma grinned, as he now knew where Hotaru got her looks.
"Lord Ran Greystar, it is good to see you," she smiled, sitting on the marble bench. "Please, sit with me awhile."
Ranma joined the Queen on the bench and they sat in a companionable silence together for several minutes, neither willing to spoil the moment of peace. The three Royal bodyguards stood on the edge of the garden, their eyes trained on Ran, ready to react if the Queen was in any danger. Ranma really didn't know what to say or talk about and had settled for her to speak first. Eventually the Queen inclined her head towards Ranma.
"How are you, Greystar?" She asked, "I do hope that you are staying here for awhile?"
Ranma nodded. "Yes, your majesty, well I'm . . . "
"Please be informal, we are not in the public eye and everything we say here will be confidential," she stated. "Please call me by my name, Ran."
Ranma was really in trouble now because only a select few actually knew what her first name was. He suddenly realised the Queen was testing him and if he didn't answer correctly, it was going to cause problems, which he didn't really want now. Glancing out on the edge of the Garden, the Royal Bodyguards had their hands firmly on their weapons, waiting for the signal to attack if he gave the wrong answer. Ranma couldn't wait until his memories returned to him as he had to give a answer within the next few seconds and was about to blurt out the first name that came to mind . . .
[Shonai] A single word repeated and echoed in his head. Ranma decided to risk it saying the word that suddenly popped up. He didn't have time to question why it popped up as he notices the slightly dangerous look on the Queen's face.
"I'm fine, Shonai," Ranma smiled hesitantly and immediately looked out on the beautiful floral garden.
The Queen of Saturn smiled and was satisfied by Ranma's answer. The Royal Bodyguards relaxed and stood in neutral stance.
Ranma breathed a little sign of relief. [That was too damn close . . . Heh, I was about to say . . .]
"You have been gone for quite some time, Ran. Would you care to tell me why you were gone so long?" asked Shonai and turned to face her future son in law.
{Oh . . . boy] Ranma thought and resisted the urge to fidget with his pigtail. "You see, Shonai . . . it was a classified covert operation and you see . . ."
"Now, Ran . . . I know all about the security implications and issues. Commander Taris has already informed me about it. What I really want to know is why you left my daughter alone without a word during your mission. Couldn't you have sent word, at the very least, how you were?" Shonai asked seriously.
Ranma looked directly in Shonai eyes. "I would never ever hurt your daughter and I would gladly give up my life to protect her. She means everything to me. If I had the chance, I would have sent word to Hotaru immediately at the first opportunity."
Shonai gave a little nod. There was another pause of silence as they both admire the collection of flowers in front of them. Most of the species of plant would though to be considered extinct outside the crystal dome but with carefully conservation program, they flourished here due to the Queen's attention to detail and care. Even the researchers from Mercury would travel to the Saturn gardens to collect data on new species.
"She feels the same way as you do, I don't know nor do I care what you did, but if you ever do this again. I will personally make sure you are hunted till the end of time," She said with a pleasant smile. There was a dangerous glint in her eyes.
Ranma smiled nervously, and again, resisted the temptation of reaching for his pigtail and fiddling with it when he was in a situation like this. The Queen of Saturn and Ranma stood in silence for a moment.
"Ran, do you love my daughter?" she asked and picked up a small white flower, gazing at it intently before gazing at Ranma.
Ranma didn't flinch under her gaze nor looked somewhere else.
"If you meant by that I simply marry her because of her position and status as a royal member of Saturn then you are wrong." Ranma replied and gently took the flower in Shonai's hand.
Ranma gazed at the flower intently. "She is precious to me, like this flower, the moment I met her. I knew that she was the one for me. Yes, I do love your daughter, and I wish to remain at her side forever if I may. If I can't then I be happy just to see her from a distance."
Ranma then handled the white flower back to her, which she gladly accepted. Shonai smiled by his gentle comment and rose to her feet and offering her hand to Ranma. He stood and accepted the proffered hand, his rough and callus was a sharp contrast to Shonai's dedicate fingers.
"Goodbye, Ran. I wish you all the luck with my daughter. You have my blessing."
Ranma bowed slightly. "Thank you, Queen Shonai. I will do all that is within my power to make her happy."
Shonai smiled and walked away. Her bodyguards swiftly followed as they vanished back into the palace.
[I can't believe I just said all that] thought Ranma because when he was in Nerima, the word love was non-existent in his book. He wasn't allowed to let his feeling be so open without getting a beating or smacked into LEO.
Ranma suddenly realised and remember that talk with that mysterious stranger back during the Saturn Ball. Perhaps the main reason why he was acting slightly out of character was because of the merge of both the personality of Ran Greystar and Ranma Saotome, not just their skills and fighting prowess but also their feeling and emotions. In terms of weirdness on Ranma's scale, this was just plain normal. It was at that point when the realised that he was all alone in the garden. The Queen and her Bodyguards were nowhere to be seen. Ranma allowed his right hand to fall and touch the golden hilt of his sword, which reminded him that he was needed at the Military headquarters where Commander Taris was waiting for him. Princess Hotaru was probably with her audience and he hated to disappoint her by leaving now. Rather than waiting for her to arrive, Ranma decide it would probably best to meet her halfway and started to head out.
Just then a messenger appeared as Ranma was about to leave.
"Lord Ran Greystar," the messenger called out. Ranma turned around to see a dark haired man running up to him. He seemed a little out of breath and tired. Ranma waited for him to catch up with him.
"Lord Ran?" the messenger asked. Ranma nodded as the messenger reached for his bag and handled him a sealed parchment.
"I have a sealed message for you from Princess Hotaru, she says its urgent and for your eyes only."
"Thanks, you may go now," Ranma said and walked back to the marble bench. The messenger nodded and returned back to his post. Quickly breaking the royal seal, Ranma started to read the parchment slowly.
"Hmm . . . she wants me to meet her on the communication dome. She says it's important and to go alone." Ranma summarised and quickly pocketed the parchment in his robe. He stood up and started to head towards the communication dome, which was situated, on the west wing of the palace.
Elsewhere in the Saturn Palace, the well renowned commander of the Saturn Military Guard, Taris was navigating his way through the lower halls of the Royal Palace.
Not many people would venture down these areas of the palace but for him, the silence was refreshing when he wanted to somewhere to think. The hallways were modestly decorated with long silk drapes; portraits and statues of well-known or unknown royal members of Saturn were lined up along the corridor. Taris smiled and walked past the many items on display, most of them placed here had a sentimental meaning than a meaningless piece of junk that some other royal palace usually has. Most of them just cluttered the hallways to those he had been to.
Commander Taris was wearing a dark midnight coloured military uniform, which reflected his rank. A silver broadsword hung around his waist along with a customised pistol. A special military communicator device was attracted to his left wrist.
There was a statue of him and Ranma awhile back during there early years which he was uncomfortable with. There was something slight off that he wasn't sure of, perhaps it was the appearance or the pose they were in. Taris shook his head and pushed the thought back as he continued to walk along the hallway and stopped and turned to admire a grand portrait of Ran and Princess Hotaru several years ago.
He had to admit it. The Princess has blossomed into becoming a beautiful young woman. She perfectly fit the whole image of what a Princess should look like. The portrait of Ran and Hotaru showed the Princess sitting down with Ran next to her with their hands intertwined in a romantically gesture of their love. Hotaru wore a beautifully woven purple dress gown made from the finest materials that was modest but hinted that there was more to her than meets the eye.
[Lucky guy] Taris thought and chuckled to himself when he clearly remember like it was yesterday the expression on Ran's face when she appeared in that dress.
It took Ran's jaw a good minute or so to regained some control. The Princess giggled continuously at his antic whilst hiding her growing blush at the effect she was having on him. It had taken awhile for Hotaru to discard her tomboy appearance when she was young, mainly because wearing dresses and gowns didn't help you one bit during a sparring match or more appropriately kicking the crap out of all her trainers. That is until Ran Greystar challenged her. He would always tease her constantly about her appearance but in a good way.
Normally anyone would think that he was insulting her especially when the Royal Saturn Guards were about to more in and sort out the pigtailed officer. Hotaru was level headed and easily understood what he was trying to get at. He was actually encouraging her to fight harder but in turn, he would start to get a thorough beating as her hidden powers start to emerge. Of course Ran would try his best and he was a skilled swordsman but against Hotaru Senshi's power he was facing downhill battle.
[Hmm . . . now, that I think of it, Ran had considerably improved and how the hell did he learn those moves] Taris thought when he remember seeing Ran in action against Hotaru earlier.
[I'll better ask him later] He mentally reminded himself as he started to head down the hallway.
Checking his digital wrist communicator, it was about time for the inspection of the central defence core and the orbital batteries. Also he was expecting to Ran later to discuss some security issues. He didn't walk very far as he saw someone that he hadn't expected to see at this moment of time. At the far end of the corridor was Princess Hotaru who seemed to be looking for someone.
Meanwhile the Princess hadn't noticed the commander walking towards her.
"Princess," Taris called out her name.
Hotaru was at first slightly startled but relieved when she turned around to see who it was that had called out her name. She was currently wearing a mauve embroiled silk gown with reaping kimono like sleeves on her arms. A golden crown bearing the royal crest resting just above her forehead. Taris immediately notice the concern in her deep purple eyes as soon as eye contact was met.
"Commander Taris," she replied politely. [Perhaps, he will know?] She thought as she stood still for the Taris to reach her.
"Princess, is there something wrong?" Taris asked and quickly glance down the hallway to check she was alone or not. "You shouldn't really be here without a royal escort, it's a matter of security and your protection."
Taris knew that the Princess had no bodyguards or escorts with her. It was a concern for him as he considers the security and safety of any royal members a top priority. Also he was feel better if Ran was with her but he also seemed to have disappeared. Taris face turn into a slight scorn before quickly dismissing it in case the Princess misunderstood him. Taris made a mental note that would have a couple of stern words with him later, if he can find him.
Hotaru nodded and looked straight into Taris brownish eyes, she saw the genuine concern for her well being.
"Commander, as you already know, I am far capable of handling anything that gets in my way," Hotaru replied.
"I know, Princess but I would feel much better if I knew you were in safe hands." Taris grinned.
Hotaru smiled at Taris. She already felt that she could confide in him and felt at ease with the commander. Taris was one the very few people who she would fully trust with her life and knew deep down that he wouldn't hurt her or to cause her harm.
"Shouldn't you be in your chamber at this time? A Princess needs to feel refresh and ready for accept her royal duty especially your trip to Earth." Taris said. Hotaru simply stared at him wondering how he knew.
"It's my duty to know these things, Princess." Taris added to answer her likely follow up question.
Hotaru suddenly remember what she was meaning to ask him. "Commander, do you know where Ran is? I mean, he was suppose to meet me half a hour ago and I haven't hear or seen from him since."
"Is that why you are here, Princess?" Taris asked after having pieced together the clues he picked here and wanted a confirmation.
[Hmm . . . Ran would never miss a chance to be with her unless . . .] Taris activated his Comm link on his wrist and smiled at the Princess. "Let me find him for you, it wouldn't take long."
Taris quickly started to input some commands into his digital device. "EVA, where is Lord Ran Greystar currently now?"
"Please wait, commander." A feminine voice replied, "Scanning for ID tracer now."
"Who's EVA?" Hotaru asked as she had heard a couple officers and even Ran mention that name.
Taris was about to reply when he heard a little chine sound from his communicator. "Perhaps another time, Princess."
Hotaru then heard the same feminine voice. "Lord Ran Greystar is currently on level 28 on the observation deck."
[Hmm . . . what is Ran doing there in communications? Why isn't he answering his communicator?] Taris immediately thought and noticed the anxious look on Hotaru's face. He decided not to worry her and gave a reassuring smile.
"Well then, Princess, I'll better go and get Ran for you," Taris said and closed his Comm link.
Hotaru smiled and nodded gratefully for his help. "Thank you."
"Anything for that pretty smile, Ran is lucky to have you." Hotaru then realised that Taris was waiting for her approval to leave her presence.
"You may go now, commander." Taris nodded and saluted in the traditional gesture. "Be careful Princess."
Hotaru watched Taris as he disappeared around the corner, She then decide that she better start making her way back too and turned to head back to upper levels. She had to be ready for trip to earth knowing that the Princess would be all there, especially Queen Serenity and her court.
She was beginning to dread what the initial reaction of the other Princess would be. Word of Ran returned would have reached the ear of the Queen Serenity and her court by now. All well, at least she had Ran back now, which is that she cared about.
Earlier ago in another part of the Saturn Palace . . .
A shadowy assassin waited for few moments before dashing past the Saturn Guards towards the communication dome. Easily opening the encryption locks within a few seconds, the assassin quickly activates the cloaking device that was attracted to his suit. He then closed the door and quickly walked down the steel stairway that led to the heart of the communication centre.
In the communication dome had a whole host of equipment such as panoramic visuals, terminal interfaces, holographic plotters, maps and scores of communication links. The cloaked assassin could sense the target within thirty or so metres and was sure the target had not detected his presence or movement.
The target had fallen for his trap and was alone according to the bio scans; the only person apart from the assassin was his primary target. The mistress would be pleased, the assassin thought as he imagined the reward for this silent contract. As it got within twenty feet or so, the cloaked assassin crouched low to the ground and reached for the rifle that was strapped to it's back and carefully loaded the ammunition into the weapon. It began to move around silently and slowly to position itself and to fire when the target would be at it's most vulnerable.
Seeing clearly the primary target within its sights, the cloaked assassin raised its sophisticated shard rifle. Normally energy based weapons would activated the weapons sensors the moment it register the discharge. The weapon of choice was carefully constructed to fire a hail of venom splinter like shards in silence. Within a matter of seconds, the primary target would be dead and it was just a matter of leaving without a trace.
Meanwhile Ran Greystar a.k.a. Ranma Saotome was wandering around the communication dome and found that there was no one in sight, which was a bit odd to him. Normally at this time there would be a few officers who would be here on duty. In his hand was the crumpled piece of paper from Hotaru telling him to meet him here, well at least that what it said anyway.
Thinking that she was going to be late, Ranma decided to do something. Pulling up a steel chair, Ranma begun to access the central computer core from this terminal. Normally he wouldn't have a clue on how to use a computer let alone actually switching one on but his memories of both his and this Ran Greystar merging and picking up pace, he was able to use a computer like a pro.
His rank and level of authorisation allowed him to have full access to the Saturn main database and also those in the palace logic engines and cogitates. He easily accessed the central database when he applied his Kachü Tenshin Amaguriken onto the digital keyboard. A list of relevant searches and queries was bought when Ranma typed in some keywords from bits and pieces of his memory . . . so far nothing had come up.
Ranma was about to switch off the computer terminal when his martial arts senses kicked and immediately dived to the right just seconds as a computer terminal and the chair was showered in a hard of shrapnel like bullets. Ranma continued to rolled across the floor away from the hail of bullets, giving thanks that his marital arts senses were still sharp otherwise he would have several large holes in him as he rose to his feet. The communication device was shot to pieces and inoperable which meant that he wasn't able to call for help.
Looking at the carnage that just happened, Ranma immediately moved his hand to the silver hilt of his sword and scanned the dome. Ranma's eyes narrowed as he saw a very agile cloaked figure moving the darkness. Taking a step back, he knew that whoever it was, it was definitely wasn't Hotaru or someone who wanted a friendly chat.
Ranma Saotome extended his sword, pointing the tip at the dark assassin.
"Who are you?" said Ranma. "Not that I have already guessed your intentions. Let me guess . . . hmm?"
The dark cladded armoured assassin cocked his head to one side before speaking and allow the rifle in his hand to drop to the ground. His voice was obviously distorted by a vox device.
"I have come to kill you." The assassin thumbed a rune on the pommel of his studded mace and within seconds, the weapon leapt to life, amber fire wreathing the blade in the spiralling coil of energy.
[It figures . . . there is always one] thought Ranma and sighed to himself inside.
"Is that so," said Ranma in a sarcastic way. "Nice toy you got there."
Although a mask hid the assassin's face, Ranma could tell that he was annoyed by his body language. Seeing his opponent taking a step forward, he allowed him the first move.
"Let's see what you got," taunted Ranma.
Ranma brought his sword back to the guard position as the dark assassin surged forward with a terrifying shriek. The assassin swung his mace in a crushing arc, hammering the wide blade into Ranma's chest. Fortunately Ranma had easily seen the blow coming and hurled back to evade the impact. As Ranma rolled, he managed slashing wide with his sword whilst rolling around as the mace hammered into the ground. Ranma leapt upright parrying another blow from the mace. The impact rang up Ranma's arm, but he could tell that there was little strength behind the blow. The opponent he was facing was heavily relying on the energy field and weight of the mace to do his killing. The assassin spun his mace in a dizzying series of loops and twists, the head a glittering web of sliver. He slowly advanced on Ranma; his mask face conveyed evil and death.
"She was wrong to overestimate you." whispered the assassin. "She was a fool to think you could seriously undermine her operations."
[I'll wonder whom he is talking about?] Ranma thought, as he seemed to have picked a clue on which his employer was. [At least, it narrows it down a bit]
Ranma feinted with his sword, then reversed the direction of his cut, but the assassin had anticipated the blow and parried with the shaft of his mace. The blade reversed and slashed into Ranma's side and biting deep. Hot agony flooded him and he could feel the blood streaming from his body.
Whoever the assassin was, he was well-trained and skilled thought Ranma as he evades another blow. He then kicked out and thrust his sword in desperate attack. The assassin dodged to evade the blade and took a few steps back, leading him out of Ranma's range. Clutching his side to halt the bleeding, Ranma was in trouble. Sensing that his death was near, the assassin began to circle around his fallen victim, timing his movement to deal the final blow with his mace. Ranma felt his muscles quickly loosing its strength as he tried to life his sword. He looked up accusingly at his dark assassin.
"What's the matter? Can't even find the strength to lift your own sword, how pathetic," taunted the assassin and was now directly behind him and gripped the shaft of his mace and prepared to smash open Ranma's head like a ripe melon.
Ranma caught the meaning of what he just said and reached for the back of his head to check and there, in his hand was a thin shard needle like injection. Cursing loudly for his lapse in concentration in combat, Ranma knew from experience in Nerima that without his strength, his chances were slim.
"Ah . . . I see you have my secret gift, it's one of my special concoction that allows the victim to become weak like a baby." smirked the assassin. "It doesn't really matter now."
Suddenly the double doors busted open with a mighty crack, an armed figure leapt out.
The assassin moved with preternatural speed, but even he was not fast enough to completely dodge a bullet. The bullet tore into the side of the assassin's check, gouging a chunk of his pale flesh from his skull; another pieced a vital organ and shot out cleanly out the other side. The assassin howled in pain and fell back, releasing his grip on his mace.
Ranma felt hands grasp on his shoulder. He weakly raised his sword, but lowered it when he saw it was Taris. Ranma began to lose consciousness and the last words he heard before he blacked out completed were . . .
"MEDIC!"
TBC . . .
*
Sign up to rate and review this story