Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Keep It Running

Chapter 11

by sixbucksandadrpepper 0 reviews

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Gerard Way - Published: 2012-02-18 - Updated: 2012-02-19 - 926 words

1Moving

Chapter 11

A/N: Hey guys. Sorry this one’s a bit short, that’s just the way it worked out. I’ll make up for it in the next few chapters, I hope >.<

Emerson's POV

...beep...beep...beep...

Waking up was one of those moments when you think everything is normal and fine, but then things come back in arush. That awful sinking feeling of despair, knowing everything is not okay.

I blinked slowly and observed my surroundings. I was lying on my back in a hospital bed, in a tiny white room. Each breath I took was agony and pain shot through my stomach with every inhale. My fingers met a rough white bandage that was wrapped tightly around my lower waist, covering the wound that had been induced by my father's bullet. The events of that fateful day came back full force, all at once. My father. He'd shot me first, then Gerard when he'd jumped in front of me. Gerard. Oh God. Where was Gerard?

I was alone. And not just in this room. In life as well, or so it seemed. Tears began rolling down my cheeks. The image of Gerard being pulled away, his fingers weakly clinging to mine, kept replaying in my head. Where was he now? Panic rose up inside of me. The walls seemed to be closing in on me and my breathing quickened. I cried out for Gerard even though I knew he wouldn't hear me. Anurse bustled into the room.

"Shh, darling.Everything's fine. You're okay."

"No, I'm not," I sobbed.

"Shh, yes you are."

"No! You need to listen to me! I'm not okay!"

"Calm down, sweetheart. You'll make things worse," the nurse crooned, he voice sickly sweet. I gagged, feeling the need to throw up. My stomach heaved, but nothing came up. I breathed in deeply and dropped back onto the pillow.

"What happened to me?" I asked softly. I needed to hear it from somebody else to fully understand.

The nurse looked at me doubtfully."I'm not sure now would be the best time to explain. Maybe you'd like to wait until your Gerard wakes up? Providing he does, of course."

I frowned. "He can't sleep forever. Why don't you just go and wake him?"

She hesitated. "I wish it were that simple. You see, there's more to it than that. You've been here longer than you think. It's been five days since the shooting. We had to keep you under anesthesia so you wouldn't panic and hurt yourself more."

Five days? "And- and Gerard?"

"He's in a coma."

I stared at her. That couldn't be right. She must be mistaken. There must be another Gerard... "But how is that possible? He didn't have a head injury."

The nurse smiled sadly."Unfortunately comas can come with just about any injury. He lost quite a bit more blood than you, although don't ask me how. When I saw you, I thought you would be the one in the most critical condition. But you're a fighter, I can tell. Anyways, by the time he reached us, he'd already blacked out, as you had. Just he hasn't woken up yet."

"How- how long will this coma last?"

"The doctors aren't sure. It could be hours, days, weeks... or he could never wake up."

I wanted to die right then when she said that. If Gerard didn't wake up, then what was my purpose here? Seeing the look on my face, the nurse added hastily, "Although things are looking promising. He's stable, so it shouldn't take too long now. Considering that, would you still like to wait for the doctor to speak with you?"

I nodded decisively. "Until Gerard wakes up."



Days passed. There was still no sign of Gerard coming around. Each day that went by, I felt less and less alive. Ididn't even feel like myself anymore. I had this feeling inside of me that Icouldn't explain. I knew something wasn't quite right with me. Each day I'd sit dry heaving into the toilet, the nurses watching me and shaking their heads sadly. I needed to know what had happened to me, but I couldn't deal with anything else until Gerard woke up.

Thirteen days after the shooting, my nurse (who's name I'd found to be Ellie) rushed into my room, a grin spread across her face.

"Emerson! You've got to get out of bed! Gerard seems to be waking up, and they're going to let you see him!"

"What are you on about?" I gasped, unsure if I'd heard her correctly.

"Gerard's waking up!"

I scrambled from the hospital bed into the wheelchair Ellie had waiting for me and she began pushing me to the ICU. Before entering, she leaned down and whispered in my ear. "Ready?"

I nodded fiercely. "Take me in."Ellie pushed the door open and wheeled me to one of the many rooms, similar to the one I'd been in. We reached Gerard's room and she pushed me over to his bedside before leaving quickly. Leaving me and Gerard alone.Finally.

His eyes were still shut. I took adeep breath and reached out to touch his cheek. I memorized his features: his ghostly pale skin, his stringy black hair, those long, feminine eyelashes. My throat was tight and I leaned down to whisper in his ear.

"Gee, you've got to wake up. What am I supposed to do without you? You know I love you."

His eyelids flickered and opened slowly. His eyes rested on me, widening in surprise.

"Em?"
Sign up to rate and review this story