Categories > Original > Romance

There was always you

by BrownieLovesCookie87 0 reviews

A David Cook story... When he witnesses a hit and run, his whole world changes. Is it possible to fall in love with someone who has no idea that you even exist?

Category: Romance - Rating: PG - Genres:  - Published: 2012-02-22 - Updated: 2012-02-22 - 769 words

0Unrated

Prologue

The last thing I remember were her eyes...so full of panic, yet so lifeless at the same time. Someone could have stopped them, pulled her back, but no one seemed to care. No one else noticed this young life at stake. I knelt beside her, listening for a breath, a heartbeat, any sign to show me she still had a chance. I could feel her pulse, faint and growing fainter every second. Finally catching my breath, I began screaming for help.
"Somebody! Anybody! There was a hit and run...someone help her!" It seemed I was yelling into an empty atmosphere, just her and I here. If I didn't do something fast, it would just be me. I had to save her. I watched her dilligently, pulling out my phone with a shaking hand. I dialed 911, hoping maybe they existed with us.
"911, what's your emergency?"
"There's been a hit and run...I saw the whole thing. I don't know if she's going to make it..." I sobbed. The woman on the line paused for a moment before speaking again.
"Calm down sir. Can you tell me where this happened?"
"The intersection of...Maple and Chestnut"
"I'll send someone out right away. Can you tell me the victim's name?" Irummaged through her bag, hoping to find a drivers license, I.D. Card, or anything that would tell me who she was.
"Um...Her name is Kallie. Kallie Jameson."
"Someone will be there shortly. Please stay with her in the meantime."
"Don't worry" I said, my voice stained with worry. "I'm not going anywhere." The line disconnected, and we were back to square one. Just me, Kallie, and the rest of the world. I watched her, the movements of her chest growing seemingly smaller as the seconds passed. I grew startled when she drew in a sudden sharp breath, slowly opening her eyes.
"Who are you?" she asked, but before I could answer she was gone again.
Seconds later, I was snapped back to my current reality. I was alone in my bedroom, surrounded by darkness, the only sound being that of my alarm clock buzzing.
"That dream again..." I muttered. I threw the sheets and quilt off of me, crawling out of bed. It was another Monday, another day on the payroll. I tried to forget about the dream, that poor girl being so alone, but I couldn't shake it. I didn't even know a Kallie. Trying not to dwell on it anymore, I walked out to my car and began the familiar drive to my office. I had been working as a graphic designer since I graduated college. University of Tulsa, Class of 2006. At 23, almost 24, I thought I had it figured out. This would be my life. And, I'd live every day, doing the same routine, with a smile on my face.
The day crawled by, looking just like any other. Meeting after boring meeting. I thought this would be fun, but sometimes life deceives you. After five years of the same continuous thing, I wanted a change. When the day's end finally came, I left, eager to get home. Driving back to my small apartment, I even noticed the same things I saw everyday. The same people, doing the same things, day after day. I wished for something different, something to shake me a little, just once.
"I can't wait to get out of here" I muttered, my eyes drifting towards the sidewalk. A young girl, probably about 18 or 19 stood there. I wasn't sure if she was wanting to cross over, so I waited. She looked one direction, then the other, and took a step off the curb. Before I knew what was happening, a car darted out of nowhere, too fast for the girl to get back. The vehicle struck her, speeding away as quickly as it had appeared. I pulled over, shocked at what I had just seen.
"No. Please, God. No." I threw my door open, running to the site of the accident. I studied the girl's features, noting that she looked like someone I'd seen before. I checked her pulse, heartbeat, everything I could think of. Thank God she was still alive. I pulled out my phone to dial 911, wondering if anyone else would stop to help.
"911, what's your emergency?"
"There's been a hit and run, but I think she's still alive."
"I'll send someone out as quickly as possible. Can you give me any information about the victim?"
"Hold on a second" I responded, searching for any kind of identification. "Her name is..." I froze.
"Sir? Her name?"
"Kallie. K-Kallie Jameson..."
Sign up to rate and review this story