Categories > Games > Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic > KOTOR: Beyond Light and Dark

Chapter One

by Moondyn 1 review

Category: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2012-06-07 - Updated: 2012-06-07 - 2298 words

0Unrated
Chapter One

A beautiful woman with hazelnut hair and piercing grey eyes dressed in Jedi robes desperately fought against a hooded figure. The battle felt fierce as the two danced with their lightsabers flashing, and every few seconds my head pulsed. Each time their lightsabers crossed, time slowed and I felt a jolt of pain. The woman's face made a distinct impression in my mind. She appeared determined, but also desperate to win.

The next thing I knew, I was lying on a couch inside a rundown apartment. Was that all a dream? Looking around, I noticed Carth sitting across from me. There were bags under his eyes, but he was otherwise uninjured.

"How long have we been here, and where exactly is here?"

"Oh, I'm glad you're up, Lena. We crash landed near here. I had to take out a few Sith troops, but I managed to find us this abandoned apartment to hide out in. And it's been about a day since we crashed."

"So what's our plan of action?"

"Well there have been reports of escape pods crashing in the lower city, so that's our first clue to finding Bastila. We aren't that important, so we should be able to sneak about undetected, but the same can't be said for Bastila. Listen, this planet is very classist, and ruled by the Sith, so we should still be careful."

Carth paused for a moment, as if contemplating.

"Also, no one can leave the planet right now, since it's under quarantine. The Sith are looking for Bastila, and we have to find her first. We can think about how to leave this planet after we have secured Bastila."

There weren't many options for me. I could either go rogue, or continue with the mission. Something about the name, Bastila interested me. It felt almost as if I knew who she was, but couldn't put my finger on it.

"Alright, Carth, let's go scout this planet, and see if we can find more info on the crashed pods."

Nodding, Carth followed me out of the apartment. Before we could step past the door, we noticed a commotion between a few Sith and Duros. One of the Sith shot a Duros dead. It took but a second for them to notice me and Carth.

"Tarisian citizens wouldn't be renting these rundown apartments. They must be with the Republic. Kill them!"

None of them were wearing their armor. I lunged at the Sith. All of them lay dead within a minute. Carth looked uneasy.

"Great now when the next patrol comes, they'll know where to look for us."

The remaining Duros intervened.

"Don't worry; I'll take care of the bodies, so it won't be easy for them to find their comrades."

Carth sighed, as he continued following me past the other apartment doors. Suddenly I paused near one of the doors. The security on the door was cake. I hoped the room would be devoid of people, but instead a young woman stood inside. She appeared uneasy as I approached.

"Hello, I'm Lena. Can you answer a few of my questions?"

She gulped, then nervously began to speak with a slight accent.

"I'm Dia. What do you want? That pig Holdan sent you, didn't he?"

"Who is Holdan?"

"He is one of Davik's men. I scathed him with a vibroblade, but it's his own fault for being an ass."

"Wait so why are you asking if he sent me?"

A nervous look crossed her face.

"I'm sorry but I don't trust you."

"It's okay. Maybe I can help."

I tried to look as reassuring as possible. Dia gazed into my eyes, assessing whether I meant what I'd said. With a sigh, she gave in.

"There is a bounty on my head. That spiteful hut-slug Holdan got Davik to place a bounty on my head, and now my only option is to hide here."

"I can try speaking to him, but where can I find him?"

"Holdan is usually down in the lower city Cantina, but I don't know how you'll get in there, considering the Sith have recently restricted access to the lower city."

I smiled at her comment.

"Don't worry, I'll find a way. More importantly, I'd like to know more about this Davik you speak of."

"You are an offworlder aren't you? Never mind. Davik works with the worst scum of the lower city. He is with the Exchange. He is a dangerous man."

"Thank you for the information. And I will deal with this Holdan if I see him."

Dia nodded, watching as I turned around to leave, with Carth waiting for me impatiently at the entrance.

"Lena, if you manage to deal with him; I'll buy you a round at the cantina."

"I'll hold you to that!"

Taking a deep breath, I decided to unlock the door to the next apartment. Carth loudly cleared his throat.

"What is it, Carth?"

"Oh it's nothing … except, why the hell are you breaking into people's homes? Do we have time for something so petty?"

I spoke whilst disengaging the security.

"We don't have many credits, and our gear is second rate. Stealing isn't something I normally agree with, but the mission overwrites something this petty as far as I'm concerned. Anyways we just got some good intel, in case you hadn't noticed.

Carth shook his head.

"I can't argue with that."

The room was empty. I quickly found a footlocker with credits, medpacs and blasters.

For the next thirty minutes Carth and I split up in search of as much valuable loot as we could find. Earlier I noticed a kiosk manned by a green Twi'lek, who told me his name is Larrim. I looked through his catalogue and found a few things both Carth and I could use. By the time Carth returned, I had already sold all the unnecessary loot. I bought myself a superior light armor suit, a nice vibrosword to complement my prototype vibroblade, and as many medpacs as I could afford. Carth got some new armor that made him look like a common bounty hunter and a powerful Ion blaster.

Carth and I prepared inside our hideout. I sharpened my blades facing the window, while Carth sat on the couch cleaning his new Ion blaster.

Gazing down at the perfectly sharp vibrosword, I spoke.

"The first thing we need to do is visit the cantina, ask about the crashed pods, and a way to get to the lower city. It sounds like it's a dangerous place. We wouldn't want our precious Bastila staying somewhere like that for even a second longer."

"Somehow you sound like you're patronizing the whole situation. But either way, I'm ready when you are."

"Let's go."

After strolling around the upper city, Carth and I found the cantina. Before going in, I stopped Carth.

"Let's work separately on this. We can get more information this way. After I leave this place, wait a few minutes then follow. Got it?"

"Yes, loud and clear, beautiful."

"Carth?"

"Huh?"

"You flatter me, but you are the one who is beautiful."

"Huh?"

I walked inside the dim entrance to the cantina before Carth had time to question me further. Scanning my surroundings, the first room had a pool table, and a bunch of Pazaak players, none of which were Sith. The next room was round with tables on the outer rim. I noticed a woman with a gloomy expression at the bar. Nondescriptly I walked over to her.

"My name is Lena; may I ask you a few questions?"

She looked surprised.

"Wow this is the first time someone in here came up to talk to me."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm Sarna, a Sith. Most of these Tarisians are afraid of us, and avoid us like the plague. Being a Sith isn't as great as they advertised. No exotic beautiful worlds to explore, instead I'm stationed in this dump!"

"Nice to meet you, Sarna. Don't worry about all that. Just sit back and relax. I'll buy you a drink."

She smiled for the first time.

"Nah, that's not necessary, but how about you come to our Sith party. We are throwing it at the northern apartments in a few hours. Just show up!"

I smiled back at her.

"How could I not show up? I'll be there. See you then."

I walked past an angry looking teenage rich girl. As soon as she saw me, she asked.

"Where is my drink?"

Instead of responding, I just kept walking.

"Fine Daddy is going to hear about this!"

She ran out of the cantina, before I could make a comeback.

"What the fuck is her problem?"

Soon I found out. There were three Rodians waiting at the exit with blasters ready, and that pretentious girl stood behind them with a cruel smirk coloring her face. Before even one of them could fire, I glided my vibrosword horizontal to their necks. Green blood squirted from the severed arteries, creating a blood fountain effect. The previously smirking girl now had a look of horror; she let out a shriek, as she began to run away. I wanted to kill her, but considering she's a rich bitch; it would draw too much attention and likely compromise the mission.

As soon as I began throwing the remains of the Rodians over the edge of the high-rise, Carth walked out of the Cantina. He seemed flabbergasted.

"What happened here? What happened with keeping a low profile?"

"That would be why I'm cleaning up the mess. Care to help?"

"Fine"

"And on record, they attacked me. Also since they aren't human, I don't think the Sith will care."

After a few minutes, Carth and I managed to throw the last Rodian over the edge.

"Carth, did you get any intel?"

"I heard rumors about a doctor here who might be a friend of the Republic … but I'm not so sure. What about you?"

I let out a sigh.

"There will be a Sith party in about an hour, and I'm invited."

"You're with the Sith?"

I waved my hand before him.

"Calm down. I talked to a lonely Sith girl … I think her name was Sarna, anyway she invited me."

"And you said yes?"

"Yes I said yes. To get to the lower levels we'll need Sith uniforms and ID. While everyone else is drunk, I should be able to find both. I need you nearby in case shit hits the fan!"

"Understood! I'm sorry for mistrusting you, it's just … I don't trust people easily. I'm not a trusting person."

We scouted out the apartments early, to make sure the invitation wasn't a trap. Afterwards Carth went to hide in a room next door to the booming apartment housing the wild Sith party.

"Well this is the first Sith party for me."

Carth scowled.

"And hopefully the last one for you, Lena."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Whatever you want it to mean gorgeous."

"You flatter me, but, Carthy, you are the gorgeous one."

Before he could say another word, I slipped out the door.

When I arrived, the party was already at full blast. Everyone was dancing in rhythm to the bass. Sarna approached me.

"Hey, stranger, glad you could make it."

"I wouldn't miss it."

Everyone continued dancing for the next hour. Half the Sith were tipsy, the other half slightly drunk. Deciding this was my opportunity I walked out of the room.

"Where are you going, stranger?"

"I drank too much –bathroom."

Quickly I made my way to where Carth was hiding out. As soon as he saw me, he tossed me my vibrosword, then handed me my vibroblade. As he pulled out the Ion blaster, he said.

"Let's do this!"

"It's slaughter –even if they are Sith."

"We agreed on this. They are the enemy. If they haven't yet killed someone they will in the near future. The less Sith the better!"

"I don't disagree, but what I mean is … killing them when they're not prepared. It feels backhanded the more I think about it."

I took a deep breath while shrugging my shoulders.

"Never mind, Let's do this, Carth…"

"Damn right!"

By the time we showed up, a number of Sith were lying around on the couches, passed out from the booze. Carth shot blaster rounds at the Sith that were still dancing, killing them instantly. I noticed Sarna was among the Sith passed out on the couch. As Carth prepared to shoot the unconscious Sith, I gently lowered his arm.

"Give me your other blaster, then check the footlockers; I have a better idea."

Carth gave out a grunt of displeasure, but did what I asked. I wiped the blaster with a cloth I found lying around, next placed the blaster in Sarna's ungloved hand, making sure to get as many prints on it as possible.

"Hey, beautiful, what are you doing over there?"

"I'm covering our tracks. This should keep them off us for a good while."

"I see. Well I found us two Sith uniforms, and a passcard, which I'm guessing will let us into the lower city."

"Good job. Now let's get out of here before they awake."

After changing into the Sith uniforms, we proceeded toward the Sith headquarters. Unlike before, when the Tarisians looked down upon us, now all of them seemed to be cowering at the sight of us.

"All it takes is a change of clothes. People these days –are so shallow."

"You said it, sister."

Shortly, we reached the plaza of the Sith headquarters, the Sith guard allowed us to proceed to the lift that would lead us to the lower city. I scanned the passcard, the lift doors opened, next, Carth and I stepped inside.
Sign up to rate and review this story