Categories > Anime/Manga > Neon Genesis Evangelion > Evangelion Gear

Episode 5: Bitter Truths

by snafuthegreat 1 review

Category: Neon Genesis Evangelion - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2012-07-02 - Updated: 2012-07-02 - 11477 words

1Exciting
Episode 5: Bitter Truths

Snafu's Notes: The story's halfway finished. Also, to answer some of the private messages I've been receiving, The Wild Geese is a mercenary unit Big Boss worked with, not the group of the same name from Hellsing. Also, this chapter's pretty long. Oh, and reread Episode 3, as I've added the Beauty and Beasts Unit to the story. Also, there is a twist that you will see coming.

Commander Ikari's office, shortly after the battle with Arael.

"Ikari, this is a dangerous game you are playing," Fuyutsuki warned. "This is a high-ranking officer of the United Nations we are dealing with. One that the Third Child has taken quite an interest with."

"That is irrelevant," Gendou replied icily. "General Hayter is a threat to my scenario. Have Section 2 scour the city for this man. Once they find him, bring the General in. I wish to speak with him personally."

"Understood," Fuyutsuki said, both he and Ritsuko leaving the room.

'Ikari has no idea who he is dealing with,' the aged Deputy Commander thought as he headed for his own office. 'Against someone like Big Boss, he is outclassed.'

Kouzou Fuyutsuki had good reason to fear Big Boss more than his pupil. He had met the man personally. Shortly before Arael's attack, he had been kidnapped by Seele and interrogated. It was only through Kaji that he was able to escape. Of course, Seele had found out and their judgment was swift: termination.

However, Ryouji Kaji would not die that day.
---
[Flashback - two days before Arael...]

Kaji watched as five armed men entered his hideout. "You found me at last. I've been expecting you. My friends really wanted to meet you."

From the shadows in the far corner, gunfire erupted. Four of the gunmen went down, dead before they hit the floor. One of them got a wound to the shoulder and leg.

Big Boss and Ocelot stepped out of the shadows, the former placing his M1911 pistol on safety, while the latter casually twirled a smoking Colt revolver.

"Good grouping," Kaji noted. He looked at the surviving assassin. "We got a live one here."

Ocelot holstered his gun. "He's mine."

Ocelot once said that torture was the 'ultimate form of expression.' This was during Operation Snake Eater, when Big Boss himself was tortured at the hands of Colonel Volgin. Ocelot wasn't nicknamed Shalashaka for nothing. Of course, Kaji did not have the stomach to watch the 'interrogation,' in which he excused himself from the proceedings.

After several minutes of Big Boss, Ocelot and the other man speaking in German, a gunshot was heard, signaling the gunman's demise. Seconds later, Kaji was summoned back inside.

"I love interrogating hit men," Ocelot said, looking at the dead hit man. "No matter what they do, I really don't feel bad."

"So...what did you find out?" Kaji asked, trying to keep his stomach under control.

"As we both expected," Ocelot replied, "the hit men in question were in fact from Seele. We also found out that Seele will move forward with their plan to wrest control of Third Impact from Commander Ikari. It also appears that they do not entirely trust the U.N., or the JSSDF."

"It gets worse," Big Boss continued. "Seele's hired Haven Troopers to launch a no-survivor assault on the Geofront, should they fail to get the JSSDF to attack."

"Looks like we'll have to call in Snake and the others in sooner than expected," Big Boss said.

Ocelot nodded. "I'll summon them to Tokyo-3 immediately. Do we have a time table?"

"Probably less than a week after the last Angel." Big Boss walked up a nearby flight of stairs, walked down the hall, and into a back room. "First things first."

There, seated in a chair, was a bound Kouzou Fuyutsuki. He was blindfolded, his mouth taped shut.

Big Boss pulled up a chair and sat down, while Kaji moved behind the bound old man. "Deputy Commander Kouzou Fuyutsuki, of the U.N. anti-Angel organization Nerv. Can you hear me?"

Fuyutsuki nodded.

"Good. Ocelot?"

CLICK.

Fuyutsuki heard the unmistakable sound of a hammer being pulled back.

"Did that get your attention?" Big Boss asked. When Fuyutsuki nodded, Big Boss continued speaking. "At the moment, my associate has a gun aimed at you. During this time, I will have your bonds released. If you try to run, or attack any of us, you will be dead before you hit the ground. Understood?"

Again, Fuyutsuki nodded.

"Good," Big Boss replied. "Mr. Kaji?"

Fuyutsuki felt his arms freed. Then he could see, as the blindfold was removed. Sure enough, the one-eyed old man was seated in front of him, while the other old man with the long hair had a revolver aimed from the hip.

"I heard that if you rip the tape off fast, it won't hurt as much," Ocelot suggested.

Kaji shrugged his shoulders. "Worth a shot," he said, right before yanking the tape off of Fuyutsuki's mouth, making the old Deputy Commander whimper.

"So much for that theory," Ocelot had said, chuckling.

"I believe that introductions are in order," Big Boss said. He gestured to Ocelot. "The man with the Colt revolvers is Revolver Ocelot." He nodded to Kaji. "You already know Mr. Kaji. You can call me Big Boss."

Fuyutsuki swallowed audibly.

"I know this wasn't something that you were expecting," Big Boss continued, playing the diplomatic role. "First being kidnapped and interrogated by Seele, and now kidnapped by us. But I have some questions for you, Professor. Given your position within Nerv as second-in-command, I feel that you can help. If you cooperate and answer my questions truthfully, then I give you my word that you will be released unharmed. However, if you jerk me around, I'll let Ocelot question you. Are we clear?"

"Yes," Fuyutsuki replied. He had clearly heard Ocelot's 'interrogation' downstairs.

"You come from a respectable background," Big Boss noted. Off Fuyutsuki's surprised expression, Big Boss continued. "Your parents were survivors of the Hiroshima bomb, and prior to Second Impact, you were a professor of metaphysical biology at Kyoto University. Yet, you align yourself with Seele. Why?"

"There's an old saying," Fuyutsuki replied. "'Sometimes, it's better to be the right hand of the Devil, rather than in his path.' When I found out about the truth behind Second Impact, I confronted Gendou about it, threatening to expose him and Seele. Gendou countered with a choice: join Gerhim and work for him or die."

"With the exception of Major Katsuragi and maybe Doctor Akagi, you are an innocent...yet you stood by and did nothing," Big Boss stated. "Why didn't you tell someone about Second Impact?"

"Seele...they control the U.N.," Fuyutsuki said. "They control Nerv."

"We know that Ikari was responsible for Second Impact," Ocelot said. "What is his stake in Third Impact?"

"Ikari...Gendou wishes to control Third Impact in order to ascend into godhood in order to reunite with his wife."

"Explain," Big Boss ordered.

"Ten years ago...Yui Ikari conducted a Contact Experiment with Evangelion Unit One," Fuyutsuki explained. "Her body was reduced to LCL as a result of reaching a 400 percent synch ratio, her soul absorbed into Unit One."

Of course Big Boss and Ocelot knew about the Evangelions. Aside from Shinji, Kaji was vital in explaining how the Evangelions worked. And soon, the hackers working for the JSSDF would have a back door into Nerv by hacking into the MAGI.

"Gendou believes that by using the forbidden union of ADAM and Lilith, he can bring Yui back from Unit One's core...at the cost of every living being on this planet."

"That's something we cannot allow," Big Boss said. "Seele and Ikari must be stopped."

Fuyutsuki chuckled bitterly. "How? You can't stop them. Ikari, maybe, but Seele is untouchable. They also have their own plans for Third Impact."

"I doubt that," Ocelot replied. "Have you heard about the Tarumae Incident?" When Fuyutsuki nodded, Ocelot continued. "There was a hidden Seele facility there. The facility housed the mass-produced EVAs that Seele intended to use for Third Impact, as well as the final Angel, Tabris. That facility, along with the EVAs and the last Angel, have been wiped out. Amazing what you can do with a Metal Gear and a N² mine."

Fuyutsuki slowly digested this new information. The mass-produced EVAs were destroyed, along with Tabris. Was Seele keeping this piece of information away from Gendou for a reason?

"Without the mass-produced EVAs," Big Boss cut in, "Seele has no other choice but to invade the Geofront and to seize control of Third Impact from Gendou. But Ikari himself is a serious threat. He has ADAM in his possession, as well as Lilith in Terminal Dogma. If I were a betting man, Ikari will make his move once he finds out that there is no Tabris."

"That would be the most feasible conclusion," Fuyutsuki noted, still wary of Big Boss and Ocelot, the latter still having his gun drawn and aimed at him. But even Fuyutsuki had to admit that despite his subordinate having a gun aimed at his head, Big Boss was cordial, even respectful towards him, unlike Seele, which slightly put him at ease.

"For now, your life is yours still," Big Boss said. "However, if you mention this little meeting to Commander Ikari or anyone else, then your life is forfeit."

Fuyutsuki knew that the older man was dead serious. He gulped audibly.

"I have spies and informants inside Nerv. They will be watching very closely," Big Boss warned. Turning to Kaji, he said, "Return him to the Geofront."

Kaji nodded. "Sir." To Fuyutsuki, he said, "Come on, Deputy Commander."

Once Kaji and his 'guest' were gone, Ocelot turned to Big Boss. "I think I'll contact Snake now."

Big Boss nodded. "See to it."

[End Flashback]
---
Fuyutsuki slumped deeper into his chair. 'Gendou has no idea as to what is happening,' he thought. 'If he knew that his scenario was destroyed, he would be livid.'
---
The following day, after Arael's attack...

Today was Big Boss' day off.

Rarely, the old man took some time for himself, but today the old man made an exception, and for good reason. Today was the second anniversary of Seele's attack on the Patriots. That results of the attack were the deaths of EVA and Roy Campbell. Earlier that day, both him and Ocelot had drunk a toast to their memory. Now, he was at Hakone Cemetery, visiting EVA's grave. He had dressed for the occasion: his officer's uniform, the same one he wore at the end of Operation Snake Eater, when he was given the title of Big Boss, and a pair of boots. His beret, which revealed his rank, was left in the car.

A bouquet of flowers was in one hand - orchids, EVA's favorite. The legendary soldier walked past the rows of headstones, until he reached EVA's headstone. Crouching down on one knee, he placed them on EVA's headstone. Big Boss placed one hand along the granite and sighed.

The headstone read TATYANA HAYTER – May 15, 1936 – August 27, 2013

They had never married, but in most cases, EVA had taken on Big Boss' surname.

'Soon, my love,' Big Boss thought. 'Soon, this war will be over. This will be my final mission. I have been fighting for far too long.'

As his mind searched through the times he and EVA had spent together, one memory stood out in particular.

That night inside the cave, following his escape from Groznyj Grad. He had been tortured by Volgin, and his right eye had been damaged by the muzzle flash from Ocelot's revolvers. After a dramatic escape and a near-death experience in which he encountered The Boss' deceased lover, The Sorrow, he had met up with EVA once again. After tending to his wounds, she presented him with a item that became something of a trademark: his eyepatch.

[Flashback]
---
Dressed in a bra (or bikini), EVA watched as Big Boss - er...Naked Snake, pick up a spit containing broiled fish. After eating half of it, he switched over to a spit which had some cooked snake.

"Want some?" Snake asked, offering EVA the cooked snake.

EVA kept her arms folded. "No thanks."

"What's the matter? Don't like snakes?"

"Not for dinner," the blonde spy replied as she sat down by the fire.

"Funny. I thought you had to eat them at the KGB."

"We always got the good stuff during training. French, Italian...that kind of thing..."

"You're a regular Mata Hari," Snake noted as he resumed eating.

"You could at least call me Cynthia."

"Tell me something. How does it feel to spy on your own country?"

EVA looked at the flames. "I can't say that it's good. But it's my job."

Snake grunted. "This coming from someone who can't eat a snake during a mission."

The one-eyed FOX operative nearly choked on his meal at EVA's response. "I wouldn't mind eating you."

Snake watched as EVA crawled over to him. Scooting close to him, she smiled at him. "You know, when this mission is over, you'll have to treat me to a nice dinner."

"If we survive," Snake said. "So what you have in mind?"

"How about sushi?"

"Sushi?"

"It's Japanese," EVA explained. "Heard it's all the rage. Supposedly, it's made from raw fish."

Snake grinned. "Raw fish, huh? Been a while since I've visited Japan. Just the place for my survival techniques."

That got a small laugh from EVA. When she turned to look at Snake again, she saw that he was looking at something. Following his gaze, she saw that Snake was looking at a butterfly. He made an attempt to capture it, but missed. With the loss of his eye, his perception was forever altered.

EVA consoled him by embracing him. "Snake...thank you. I'll be your eyes from now on..."

[End Flashback]
---
"General Hayter?"

The unknown voice had brought Big Boss out of his private thoughts. Big Boss rose to his feet and turned around. Behind him were six men in black suits and shades.

Nerv Department of Security Intelligence, otherwise known as Section 2.

Naomi had left him a message, saying that Gendou Ikari had the men in black combing the city for him. That was two days ago, after Gendou had read the modified dossier.

The lead agent spoke again. "Are you General John Hayter?"

"I am," Big Boss replied. "Who are you?"

"We're with the Nerv Department of Security Intelligence, sir," the lead agent explained, showing him his ID. "Your presence is requested by the supreme commander of Nerv. Come with us, sir."

Big Boss' first chain of thought was to beat the shit out of the Section 2 goons and send their broken bodies back to the Geofront as a warning to Commander Ikari. But his curiosity had gotten the better of him. Besides, he was above Gendou in rank anyway.

'Wouldn't hurt to see what I'm dealing with,' Big Boss thought. 'And I would like to get a look at the Bastard King himself.'

"Fine. Lead the way." the old man said, allowing the men to escort him to the Geofront.
---
The Geofront, Commander Ikari's Office.

Seated inside his office, Gendou Ikari was brought out of his private thoughts when his phone began to ring. Retrieving the cellphone from his jacket pocket, he pressed a button and answered it. "Commander Ikari."

"Sir, we have located General Hayter," the lead Section 2 agent reported. "He was at Hakone Cemetery. We are en route to the Geofront."

"Excellent. Was he armed?"

"No, sir. He was not armed."

"Good work," Gendou said. "I will be expecting him shortly."
---
Ten minutes later, the six Section 2 agents escorted their one-eyed guest down the corridors of Central Dogma – one in the front, one in the back, and two to each side, to block off his escape.

Big Boss knew the layout of the Geofront, as well as the complex itself. Kaji had proven his worth as a loyal member to the Patriots. But even he knew that Ikari was starting to get suspicious of Kaji's motives, and that he would move against him soon.

Big Boss pushed that thought to the side as he and his escort approached Commander Ikari's office.

After a few moments, the old soldier found himself face-to-face with the supreme commander of Nerv, Gendou Rokubungi Ikari. Behind and to either side of him, was Deputy Commander Fuyutsuki and Ritsuko Akagi.

Big Boss snorted inwardly. 'A scientist running a paramilitary organization. I'm not impressed.'

At his desk, Gendou dismissed the security detail, leaving himself, Ritsuko and Fuyutsuki alone with Big Boss. The elder Ikari sized up the man who was such a positive influence on his estranged son. He knew that Big Boss was a credible threat, and that he had some serious connections within the American and Japanese governments, which meant that trying to eliminate him would be something of a problem.

Gendou tried to intimidate the man with his cold stare. Big Boss wasn't impressed. He looked down at the younger man with his remaining eye, his own thousand-yard stare sending chills down Gendou's spine.

Fuyutsuki looked uncomfortable (and for good reason, since he did try and warn Gendou), while Ritsuko was curious.

After a moment, Big Boss spoke. "So you're the commander, I take it? First meetings warrant an introduction."

Gendou's response was instant. "Who am I is none of your concern."

"Humph. Not that I already know who you are. The other generals talk about you as if you were the devil himself." He cocked his head to the side. "I've seen better, Ikari. Then again, I've seen worse as well."

"That's Commander Ikari to you," Gendou snapped.

"As if you truly deserve that title," Big Boss replied. "One must give respect before it is returned in kind. A second-rate scientist like yourself in charge of a organization tasked with defending humanity from the Angels?" Off Ritsuko's shocked expression, Big Boss continued. "What can I say? My clearance is much higher than your commander, or anyone else's within Nerv. One of the perks of being a General within the United Nations."

Gendou decided to drop that issue. He knew that Big Boss was right. Only a select few knew about Nerv's existence. And that Big Boss was higher than him in rank.

He looked down at Big Boss' dossier, which he had been studying since Ritsuko had found it. "Your military history is quite impressive, General Hayter...U.S. Army...C.I.A...San Hieroyomo...Costa Rica...countless recommendations...even worked as a mercenary. You got around in your youth...for a grunt."

"..." Big Boss remained silent.

Gendou closed his file and assumed his sinister pose. "What is your business with the Third Child?" he demanded.

"Third Child? Oh, you mean young Ikari," Big Boss replied. "Well, he sees me as something of a mentor, since it's pretty obvious that you really don't care whether or not if he lives or dies." His gaze turned on Ritsuko. "None of you."

Ritsuko flinched under Big Boss' stare. "We...we are in the middle of a war," she defended her commander.

"A war which you use children to pilot," Big Boss pointed out.

"They are not children anymore," Ritsuko replied. "If they don't pilot, then we all die."

"And you are?" Big Boss asked, knowing full well who she was, given both Kaji and Shinji's description of her.

"Dr. Ritsuko Akagi, chairwoman of Project E," Ritsuko introduced herself.

"Then you should know that child soldiers deployed into battle on a regular basis is very unhealthy. Nine out of ten children suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder are more likely to snap."

"How do you know? You're not a psychologist," Gendou snapped.

"I worked with children – former child soldiers, before and after the Impact, reintegrating them back into society," Big Boss explained. "Using child soldiers in any war is still illegal, as it was mentioned in the Valentine Treaty, given the use of child soldiers in the wars following Second Impact."

"We are above the law," Gendou said. "We have the backing of the United Nations."

'As well as Seele,' Big Boss thought darkly. "Sure. Construct a weapon that can stand up to the Angels, and the politicians turn a blind eye to the suffering of the pilots, one of which is your son. You unimaginable bastard. You're willing to kill your own flesh and blood."

"What you feel about how I view the pilots means nothing to me," Gendou rebuked. "Nerv's primary mission is to defeat the Angels and to prevent Third Impact."

"Given your precious agency's performance against the last Angel, that is being brought into question," Big Boss dryly noted. "It's the talk among the defense community. Some upstart not only destroyed the Angel, but also made a fool out of two of your pilots."

Gendou was raging internally. Ever since Arael, Nerv had become a laughingstock. Not only did that unknown mecha had destroyed the Angel with little effort, it had also put down both Units Zero and Two, the latter being the most damaged. Since the battle, he had been obsessed with obtaining the mecha in order to exploit its anti-AT technology.

"Oh, the guys at the JSSDF had a field day when they saw the footage of your Evangelions get their asses handed to them on a silver platter. And damn near all of them think that you're a man of ill-repute," Big Boss continued, twisting the knife, watching with amusement as Gendou trembled with silent fury.

Finally Gendou had enough. Slamming one fist down on the desk, he rose to his feet. "Enough! I cannot have you influencing the Third Child. It will affect his ability to pilot. You will stay away from the Third Child."

Big Boss took a step forward. "It seems that you have forgotten your place. You are in no position to tell a senior officer of the United Nations what he can and cannot do."

"General Hayter, you will keep away from the Third Child," Gendou threatened, depressing a button on his desk, causing the six Section 2 agents that had escorted him inside to come running into the room. "Or you will not leave this base alive."

Big Boss looked at Gendou. Then he looked at the guards. "Ikari, you have made the biggest mistake of your life."

Then he sprang into action.

Seeing Big Boss perform CQC on video was one thing, but seeing it up close and personal was an entirely different matter. There was no wasted movement. It was like a deadly ballet. Big Boss' moves were quick, brutal precise and professional. Ritsuko and Fuyutsuki quickly got out of harm's way as Big Boss fought the guards. And to top it off, he was pretty strong for an old man, as the six agents found out the hard way.

In less than two minutes, it was over. All six guards were on the ground, some unconscious, others with various appendages broken. Big Boss stood tall, barely winded. Then he saw movement from the corner of his eye.

Within seconds, the old soldier kicked up one of the suits' guns – an H&K P8 – caught it in one hand, aimed and fired.

BLAM!
*]
[*PING!


Gendou yelped in surprise – as well as in pain – as his own gun was blasted out of his hand, his hand injured by the shrapnel, the weapon clattering to the floor. Holding his injured hand, he watched with growing fear as Big Boss aimed the gun at his head.

"That was too easy," Big Boss said, having Gendou dead to rights.

Both Ritsuko and Fuyutsuki remained frozen in place. Even more worse, Gendou's office was soundproofed, meaning that no one could hear what was going on inside.

"Commander Ikari, you disappoint me," Big Boss said. "I thought you knew better. Guess I was wrong." He pulled the hammer back. "Section 10, Paragraph 2 of the revised U.N. Charter. Does it ring a bell? Of course not. You probably never read the charter. In any case, here is the shortened version. 'Any officer of the United Nations holding the rank of General is hereby protected under diplomatic immunity.' In other words..."

BLAM! BLAM!

Big Boss fired twice, striking the desk, causing Gendou to jump at the impact.

"I can kill you in front of the old man and the fake blonde, and simply walk away," Big Boss explained. "I can walk away and not be charged with shooting you. Your Section 2 would not be able to stop me. You, on the other hand, would be in a whole world of trouble. It's also known within the higher-ups at the JSSDF that you wanted to have a word with me, not to mention that several JSSDF veterans were present at the cemetery when your agents approached. The JSSDF have specific orders to carry out 'Susanoo's Wrath,' should anything happen to me."

"'Susanoo's Wrath?'" Ritsuko repeated.

"Basically, a full-scale invasion of the Geofront," Big Boss explained, keeping his gun trained on Gendou. "With orders to take both Commander Ikari and Deputy Commander Fuyutsuki into custody." His gaze turned from Ritsuko to Gendou, who showed for the first time in his life, pure fear at the one-eyed soldier. "This is your only warning, Ikari," he said, his voice taking on such hardness that even the Devil would be sent running. "You have no idea who you are fucking with. Cross me again...you...will...die."

Big Boss looked down at Gendou, and noticed the dark stains on his crotch. Sneering at the sight of the indomitable Commander Ikari pissing his pants, he dismantled the gun he was holding and dropped the pieces to the ground. A trick that he learned and picked up from after seeing The Boss performs the trick.

"This meeting is over," Big Boss said, turning on his heel and walking out of the office, stepping on several of the injured Section 2 agents that were in his path.
---
Central Dogma.

Misato Katsuragi was surprised to see Big Boss leave Commander Ikari's office. "General Hayter, what are you doing here?"

"Your commander invited me for a 'friendly chat,'" Big Boss replied, his mood a complete 180. "It really didn't end too well for him."

Misato's eyes widened. "You...you didn't..."

"Calm, Major. He is still alive," Big Boss said. "Although...he would think twice in trying to threaten a General of the United Nations with death. Especially me." He took several steps forward, then stopped and turned around. "Walk with me, Major."

"Sir." Misato followed the old man.
---
The old general and the young major traveled along the moving walkways that were used inside Central Dogma. "It is apparent that Ikari dislikes the positive influence I have regarding to Shinji," he noted as he lit up his cigar and took a puff. "That pathetic excuse for a commander wants someone who can easily be controlled. I meant it when I told you to be wary about Commander Ikari."

"I have been for quite some time," the ponytailed major replied. "Ever since the Dummy Plus fiasco in Matsushiro. I can see why Shinji hates him."

"Smart move. Not everything is as it seems, Major," Big Boss said, taking a drag from his cigar. "Are you aware that Ikari was present at Mount Markham?"

Now that, Misato did not know. "No...that's news to me."

"He was known as Gendou Rokubungi at the time," Big Boss explained. "Following Second Impact, he had married Shinji's mother, and taken on her family name."

"Shinji told you that?" Misato asked.

"No. I read his file. One of the perks of being a general is that you get to know who's who in the defense business," Big Boss explained. "The movers, and shakers, if you will."

"So what happened between you and Commander Ikari?"

Big Boss gave her a brief explanation detailing the chain of events which led to six broken bodies and a slightly injured supreme commander, as well as the ramifications of Gendou's threat towards the old man. By the time Big Boss had finished his explanation, they had reached the entrance. Outside, Big Boss' car was waiting for them, the driver an enlisted peon with the JSSDF.

"If I were you, Major, I'd find out who are truly your friends," Big Boss said. He then said something that was to Misato, prophetic. "The day of reckoning is coming, and soon."

Misato was left to ponder Big Boss' words as he entered the car. Nodding to the driver, the driver pulled off.
---
Nerv Headquarters, the Geofront, the following day.

It was another Angel attack. As it was back with Zeruel, it was inside the Geofront. This time, Gendou had ordered Unit One to be taken out of cryo-stasis and Shinji placed back on the active roster. Within minutes, all three pilots were in their EVAs and were dispatched to the Geofront.

Inside the bridge, the bridge bunnies, Misato, Ritsuko, Gendou and Fuyutsuki were watching the three EVAs on the monitor. Naomi was for some reason, absent.

"Where's the Angel?" Asuka demanded.

"Maya, talk to me," Ritsuko commanded the female bridge bunny.

"The wavelength has vanished, Sempai," Maya said. "I got nothing."

It was at that moment, the deception was revealed.

The computers went nuts as the blue pattern returned. Maya was on it in an instant. "The wavelength is back!" Her eyes widened in horror as to where the origins of the wavelength were coming from. As she backed slowly from her console, she said, "It's...it's...Pilot Ikari!"

The entire bridge went silent at Maya's proclamation. You should literally hear a pin drop. Gendou slowly rose from his seat, concern etched across his face for the first time. Fuyutsuki and Misato both had worried expressions on their faces, while Ritsuko looked pale. Even Units Zero and Two were looking at Unit One, both female pilots aiming their palette rifles at the supposed Angel.

"Hahahahahahaha..."

Almost immediately, Ritsuko punched in several keys on Maya's console. Within seconds, a video feed from inside Shinji's Entry Plug was on the screen.

Sure enough, Shinji was chuckling, as if he had caught the joke. Little did they know was that the joke was on them.

"Ikari...?" Rei whispered, looking at the video of Shinji's plug.

"Oh, wunderbar. The baka's snapped," Asuka sniped, also doing the same.

Then Shinji spoke. "Sharp knife. Sharp knife to send him to Deep Temple. Flay...and say...my words. Abdul comes again, on the Feast of the Weaker. Feast for the Deep Temple."

When he looked up, the gathered audience gasped in shock.

Shinji's eyes had changed. Red irises, similar to Ayanami's but with one major exception.

The whites of his eyes were now black.

"Born again, here. Alhazzared. G'yeth. G'yeth," Shinji finished.

"Dead God..." Fuyutsuki whispered.

Shinji answered their unspoken question. "They came to me," he rasped, his voice becoming distorted. "The Angels. They made me a deal. I destroy this place, and all of you, in exchange for not only their power, but Third Impact will be avoided and humanity will be spared. I accepted their offer."

"Shinji!" Misato pleaded. "Shinji, no! Don't do this!"

"Shinji is not here right now," the pilot replied. "There is only Azrael, the Angel of Vengeance!"

Gendou was quick to act. "Terminate the pilot's connections. Increase LCL pressure to maximum," he ordered Makoto.

The bespectacled male bunny rushed to obey. However, something went wrong. The screams of Asuka and Rei echoed throughout the bridge, which was followed by both Units Zero and Two jerking violently before going limp, their rifles falling to the ground. Shinji then showed them the video feed from inside their Entry Plugs. Both Asuka and Rei were out cold.

Shinji/Azrael chuckled softly. It was easy to simply switch the signals from his Unit One to Units Zero and Two and watched as both Sohryuu and Ayanami fall victim to the increased LCL pressure.

"You fooled me once with that little stunt, Rokubungi," Shinji/Azrael said. "I will not fall for that trick again."

Shinji snapped his fingers. As the bridge watched on, both retractable plates on Units Zero and Two blew open, their Entry Plugs ejecting. Unit One caught both of them in its hands.

Gendou was on Maya in an instant. "Damn it; terminate the Third Child's connections! Now!"

Maya was already performing the task, but to no avail. "I'm trying, Commander! He's locked me out of the system!"

Shinji/Azrael chuckled as he watched Maya try to wrench control from him. "Just what do you think you are doing, Maya?" he deadpanned, as his eyes glowed a demonic red. "I can't let you do that."

Ritsuko looked at Shinji, and then at Maya, who was typing away. Almost immediately, she knew what Shinji had planned. "Maya! Get back!" Ritsuko shouted.

It was already too late.

The protégée of Ritsuko Akagi was glued to her seat, her body violently jerking as electricity surged through her body, her screams echoing throughout the bridge. Misato held Ritsuko back while Makoto and Shigeru scrambled back from their own consoles.

BOOM!

Maya's body went flying back as her console exploded, landing on the floor, eyes vacant, her face in a mask of eternal pain and riddled with shards of broken glass, her bowels letting loose on the floor, her body twitching several times before it went still.

She was dead.

"Do I have your attention now, Rokubungi?" Shinji/Azrael inquired. "Good. Now pay attention to this..."

The remaining bridge members watched as Unit One held both Entry Plugs containing the still-unconscious pilots within with one hand. In the other, was a palette rifle.

Misato saw the evil look on her former ward's face and knew what she had planned. "Shinji, NO!" she screamed.

"SHINJI, WAIT!"

This time, it was from Gendou. "Please, don't do this!" he pleaded. "I'm sorry for abandoning you! I'm sorry for forcing you to pilot EVA! I'm sorry for what I did to your friend! I'm sorry for everything! Just let Rei go!"

Even though seeing Gendou beg was a once-in-a-lifetime event, Shinji/Azrael had no pity.

He tossed the plugs into the air.

"NO!" Misato, Ritsuko, Gendou and Fuyutsuki shouted at the same time.

Two three-round bursts from the palette rifle had done its damage. And the people inside the Nerv Geofront had a front-row seat as to the deaths of Rei Ayanami and Asuka Sohryuu.

Asuka's head had exploded into a red mist, while nearly everything from the waist up was gone from Rei. The two Entry Plugs landed on the ground, leaking LCL and blood.

Shinji/Azrael then turned to the black pyramid that housed Nerv Headquarters. A weapons rack rose from beside him and the Angel dropped the palette rifle and retrieved a far deadlier weapon.

A massive Gatling gun, similar to the one he used on Shamasel, complete with a 100-round drum.

Shinji/Azrael's smile grew even more sadistic as he aimed for the pyramid. "Aim at the center target, switch," he whispered.

Without warning, Shinji/Azrael opened fire, riddling the structure with massive HE Rounds, killing the majority of the personnel inside. Misato had ducked, and had avoided the salvo of death that the Angel of Vengeance rained down upon Nerv. By the time the ammo was spent, the pyramid that housed Nerv Headquarters was reduced to Swiss cheese, the bridge once again exposed to the outside world.

Somehow, whether it was through luck or divine intervention, Misato Katsuragi had survived. The others were not as lucky. Body parts that were Gendou Ikari, Kouzou Fuyutsuki, Shigeru Aoba, Makoto Hyuuga and Ritsuko Akagi littered the destroyed bridge, and countless more lay dead within the corridors of Central Dogma.

Staggering to her feet, Misato looked at the carnage left in Unit One's wake.

"Daisy...daisy..."

CRASH!

Misato spun around, just in time to see Unit One's outstretched hand engulf her, lifting her out from the destroyed bridge. The sole survivor soon found herself face-to-face with the horned face of Unit One.

Shinji/Azrael was singing, as Unit One held her in its grip. She tried to break free, but with little success. "Give me your answer do. I'm half-crazy, all for the love of you. It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage. But you'd look sweet upon the seat...of a bicycle built for two."

"Shinji, please...let me go," Misato pleaded.

"I can't, Major Katsuragi," Shinji/Azrael said in a soothing tone. "But fear not. For you will soon be reunited with your father. Don't be afraid."

Misato's eyes widened as to what the insane pilot of Unit One had planned.

Her fears were verified when the only working warning klaxon erupted and the only working speaker said the following. "Warning. Core overload detected in Unit Zero, Unit One, and Unit Two. Self-destruct imminent. Self-destruct in five...four...three...two...one..."

"SHINJI, NO!" Misato screamed.

For a moment, Misato saw the three EVAs morph into three glowing, giant white versions of their respective pilots, naked, right before they exploded simultaneously. Their destructive power increased threefold, the massive explosion not only wiped out the Geofront, killing those that had managed to survive Shinji's barrage of firepower, but rose upwards, all of Tokyo-3 disappearing in the deadly blast.
---
Misato screamed as she sat upright in her bed, kicking the covers away from her body. It took her a moment to recognize that she was not in the Geofront, but rather her own bedroom. Asuka was out at Hikari's for the weekend, allowing her some time for herself.

Misato took in several deep breaths, trying to get her heartbeat back to normal. She remembered her run-in with General Hayter earlier that day, which was followed by her checking on Gendou - as well as the six men - who was getting his injured hand treated by Ritsuko, while the six men were worked on by Naomi.

After a dry-heave episode inside the bathroom, Misato staggered back into her bedroom.

'Oh, God,' she thought. 'What a horrible nightmare.'

It would be another hour before Misato could finally get some sleep.
---
At the same time, JSSDF Base Haruna, outside of Tokyo-3...

FOXHOUND has just arrived in Japan.

Big Boss and Ocelot watched as the Nomad slowed to a stop inside the hangar. Following the interrogation of Fuyutsuki, Ocelot had summoned FOXHOUND to Tokyo-3 in order to prepare for the final battle against Seele. The Nomad's back ramps opened and the special forces unit disembarked from the plane.

Solid Snake and Meryl exited together, followed by Raiden, Otacon, Jonathan, Ed, Mei Ling and the four Beauties.

Father and son exchanged salutes, followed by a handshake. "Snake."

"Big Boss." To Ocelot, Snake said, "Ocelot."

"Snake," Ocelot replied.

"Welcome to Japan," Big Boss said. "How was the flight?"

"Boring," Snake replied. "Nothing but ocean."

"Tell me about it," Big Boss said. "I always hated flying. FOXHOUND's been keeping track of the Angel attacks in Tokyo-3?"

Mei Ling nodded. "Yes, General. Pretty freaky stuff too."

"Just call me Big Boss," the old man insisted. He then addressed the gathered members of FOXHOUND. "We are in the final stages of this war for humanity. And despite having the complete backing of the JSSDF, the RAYs, and all of you, Seele may have some surprises in store, which is why I am not taking any chances."

Turning on his heel, he beckoned the others to follow him.
---
Briefing Room.

The ten members of FOXHOUND settled in their seats as Big Boss conducted the briefing, complete with a slide projector. Naomi Hunter was also present, as she told Ritsuko that she would be meeting with an old flame who worked on the Haruna base. The three JSSDF generals who were at Mount Futagoyama were also present, as was Ryouji Kaji.

"As you already know, the RAYs have been launching tactical precision strikes against Seele's interests," Big Boss said. "And several weeks ago, the Seele mountain facility which has housed both the mass-production Evangelions and Tabris has been completely destroyed. But we're not out of the woods yet. We simply destroyed Seele's main option for unleashing Third Impact. Now, more than likely, Seele will probably launch an invasion of Nerv in order to wrestle control of Third Impact from Gendou Ikari."

Big Boss pressed a button, and Gendou's picture and dossier came up on the screen.

"Gendou Rokubungi Ikari. Supreme Commander of Nerv, and member of Seele. Born 29 April 1967 as Gendou Rokubungi. Took on his wife's surname shortly after marrying Gerhim bioengineer Yui Ikari. Former protégé of Kouzou Fuyutsuki, the current Deputy Commander of Nerv. Has one child, a son - Shinji Ikari, and is the guardian of Rei Ayanami, both of which are pilots of the EVAs. He is also responsible for sabotaging the Contact Experiment that was conducted by the Katsuragi Research Expedition on Seele's orders, thus triggering Second Impact. Through the interrogation of Deputy Commander Fuyutsuki, Gendou is planning a controlled Third Impact in an attempt to reunite with his wife, at the cost of every living being on the planet."

Laughing Octopus scoffed. "Second Impact was bad enough, Boss. I still have nightmares of that hell."

"I concur with Octopus," Crying Wolf added. "So what is the plan?"

"There is one more Angel remaining, designated Armisael," Big Boss explained. "Once the last Angel is destroyed, both Seele and Ikari will turn on each other. Seele already has the Haven Shock Troops on standby, seeing as how they can't completely trust the JSSDF, and for good reason, since the JSSDF is loyal to The Patriots."

"So what is the plan?" Screaming Mantis asked.

"Obviously, Ikari must be stopped, since he has ADAM in his possession," Big Boss replied.

"ADAM? The progenitor of the Angels? I thought he was destroyed in Second Impact," Raging Raven said.

Big Boss shook his head. "The purpose of Second Impact was to revert ADAM into an embryonic state, thus making him far more easier to control. Once Gendou finds out that Tabris is not coming, then he will use the forbidden union of ADAM and Lilith to unleash Third Impact."

"Which will create an anti-AT-field strong enough to negate the AT-field of every human being, reducing humanity to LCL and allowing Lilith to absorb the souls into her Black Egg," Otacon finished.

Big Boss nodded. "Exactly, Doctor Emmerich. In the meantime, get settled in. I have a call to make. Dismissed."
---
A meeting of the Human Instrumentality committee was taking place. Rather than the typical twelve monoliths, the committee consisted of the five senior members of Seele, communicating via holograms. Keel sat at the head of the table, while the American and British representatives sat at Keel's left, while the French and Russian representatives sat at the right. The far end of the table was for Gendou Ikari.

Only this time, Gendou wasn't here, as was the French representative, who was one of the Seele members killed before the invasion of the Tarumae facility.

At the moment, footage of the battle against Arael, and the following battle against Unit Two was being played.

"We have identified the mecha," the Russian representative said. "It is a variant of a pre-Second Impact weapon known as Metal Gear."

At that, Keel looked up. "Did you say Metal Gear?"

"Yes, Chairman," the Russian replied. "The original schematics were designed by..."

"Granin," Keel said. "Aleksandr Leonovitch Granin. Former director of the 0KB-812 Granin Design Bureau. Was twice awarded the Order of Lenin and the Stalin Medal. Killed fifty years ago in the former Soviet Union by renegade Soviet Colonel Yevgeny Borisovitch Volgin."

"Yes, Chairman," the Russian replied. "How do you know this?"

"Simple. The American and Russian governments have recently declassified several documents pertaining a secret operation called Operation Snake Eater," Keel explained. "Naturally, the documents came across my desk. Please continue."

"This variant of Metal Gear is known as Metal Gear RAY," the American continued. "It was originally designed by the U.S. Marine Corps as a countermeasure for the abundance of Metal Gears that were being developed following the Shadow Moses Incident of 2005. Following the Manhattan Incident of 2009, the number of Metal Gear copies dwindled down to almost nothing. What we have seen here with the attack on the Tarumae Facility and in Tokyo-3 is the next-generation models of the RAYs."

"From the look of things, they have been outfitted with anti-AT technology, given how easily it can penetrate the EVA's AT-field," the British representative said, "not to mention that it destroyed Arael in one shot."

"Is this Ikari's doing?" the American asked.

It was at that moment, the seat on the opposite end of the table lit up, signaling the arrival of Gendou Ikari.

Only problem was, it was not Gendou seated at the opposite end.

It was Big Boss.

"No. Not Ikari," Big Boss deadpanned. "It's mine."

Keel and the three remaining representatives turned to the newcomer.

"Who are you?" the British rep demanded.

"This is a secure line," the Russian added. "How did you...?"

"Easy. I simply jacked the line," Big Boss replied. "It's not that hard really."

"So...you're the one responsible for the destruction of the Tarumae facility," Keel said. "As well as the orchestrated strikes against our interests all over the world."

"That's right," the legendary soldier admitted.

"Have you any idea what you have done?" the Russian shouted. "Those mass-produced Evangelions were our key for achieving Instrumentality!"
---
JSSDF Base Haruna, outside of Tokyo-3.

Inside a hidden computer room, Big Boss sat at a desk, while the techs worked around him. Ocelot was also present, and listening in with a pair of headphones. The techs' tasks were simple. Hack into Seele's signal and project an image of Big Boss that would show up at the next committee meeting.

Snake and Meryl showed up minutes later, having been escorted there by a JSSDF tech. The two FOXHOUND operatives kept silent as Big Boss continued to speak with Keel.

"No, your goal was to avoid a natural death by ascending into godhood," Big Boss rebuked. "At the cost of every living being on this planet. Second Impact wasn't enough for you, wasn't it?"

"It was a means to an end," Keel replied.
---
Back inside the meeting room, Keel continued. "You act so high and mighty, yet your hands are stained with the blood of the people you yourself had killed."

"Only difference is that I did not kill two billion people in an instant, Chairman."

"True," Keel admitted. To the other members, he said, "Leave us. I wish to speak with this man alone."

One by one, the three representatives blinked out of existence, leaving only Keel and Big Boss. Clasping his hands together, the Seele chieftain looked at his Patriots counterpart. "I never thought that you survived Zanzibarland...Jack. Or should I call you...Naked Snake?"

Big Boss' eyebrow raised Spock-style. "You know me?"

"I should," Keel replied, dropping the German accent in favor of a crisp British accent. He removed the visor, allowing Big Boss to get a good look at his face.

Big Boss's eye went wide at the revelation that sat across from him. The face was older, much older than Big Boss and Ocelot were, the eyes white and lifeless, but he recognized that scar over the left eye from anywhere.

"This fox is still one step ahead of the hounds." Keel said.

Big Boss recognized that line. It was during his stay in the hospital following the disastrous Virtuous Mission that he received a visit from his commanding officer, Zero.
---
[Flashback]

Some 50 years earlier...

"So, how does it feel to be a patient in one of the most advanced ICUs in the world?" Major Zero asked as he entered the room, looking at a banged-up and bruised Naked Snake.

"Would you do me a favor and tell the suits about visiting hours?" Snake sniped as he sat up in his hospital bed. "I'll never get better with them assaulting me day and night with their questions."

"Must be part of the top brass' inquiry about the failed mission," Zero mused.

Snake snorted. "More like an interrogation. According to them, I'm a traitor and an accomplice to The Boss' defection."

"Calm down, Jack. They're simply looking for a scapegoat."

"So what does that mean? The top brass is after you too?" Snake asked.

Zero smiled. "Let's just say neither one of us is going to be made a national hero out of this."

"So what happens now? Is FOX going to be disbanded?"

"I wouldn't worry about that," Zero replied. "Besides, this fox is still one step ahead of the hounds."

[End Flashback]
---
It didn't take Big Boss too long as to who he was talking to. "Zero..."

Keel, or rather, Zero, placed the visor back over his eyes. "It's been a long time, Jack. Too long. Here, I thought I had your remains on ice. Instead, you pulled the wool over my eyes."

"As did you," Big Boss replied. "You should have died when Old Tokyo was destroyed."

"I almost did," Zero admitted. "I was in Old Tokyo being retrofitted with implants that would keep me alive. When the bomb struck, I saw this as an interesting opportunity to...reinvent myself. Thus, Zero died, and in his place, is Keel Lorenz, chairman of Seele."

"..." Big Boss was silent.

"Cat got your tongue, Jack?" Zero taunted. "Maybe I should start from the beginning..."

[A series of flashbacks, done in the MGS-style of artwork. The first is of the Dead Sea Scrolls being discovered in Israel. Zero is among the research team, only he is a soldier himself.]

ZERO: (voice-over) It was during the last years of the British occupation in Palestine that the Dead Sea Scrolls was discovered inside a cave near the ruins of Khirbhet Qumram. I was but a lieutenant in the military at the time.

[Picture of the younger Zero discovering the Secret Dead Sea Scrolls, otherwise known as the War Scroll.]

ZERO: (voice-over) Within the scrolls, I stumbled upon a hidden scroll. That scroll foretold the coming of the Angels, Second and Third Impact, as well as the Evangelions. It was after I had made it safely back to England, that I came across several people who had caught wind of the scrolls in my possession, those that believed that humanity has reached its peak and is stagnating.

[Picture of the twelve members of Seele, Zero himself at the head. Instead of the monoliths, we see the council of twelve seated at a round table.]

ZERO: (voice-over) Thus, Seele was formed, the founding members were former members of the Philosophers. I assumed the role of Keel Lorenz, a German industrialist who turned against the Nazis in the Second World War, given the fact that I played the role of a German during the war. Of course, we simply had to bide our time, and wait.

[Shot of Zero and The Boss' lover, The Sorrow.]

ZERO: (voice-over) However, my plans were discovered by your mentor's lover.

BIG BOSS: (voice-over) The Sorrow? Ocelot's father?

ZERO: (voice-over) One and the same. He found out about the War Scrolls and had planned on stopping me. I knew that he was close to The Boss, given how she had gave birth to that bastard child of theirs on Omaha Beach. If he told The Boss about my plans, then I had to eliminate them both.

[The photo of The Boss and The Sorrow in Tselinoyarsk.]

ZERO: (voice-over) It was easy to manipulate The Boss into eliminating The Sorrow. She followed her orders like the perfect little soldier that she was. She never asked questions, nor did she wondered where the order came from to eliminate The Sorrow. Eliminating The Sorrow had broken her. Then came the mission to steal the Philosopher's Legacy from Volgin...

[Shots of Volgin firing the Davy Crockett at Sokolov's facility.]

ZERO: (voice-over) I had my concerns in regards to The Sorrow warning The Boss of my intentions, but you know me, Jack. I am never one to take any chances. So I contacted Volgin through the back channels and notified him of not only The Boss' defection, but that she would be carrying two mini-nukes. He got he idea of firing the nuke on his own. And it gave me the perfect excuse to eliminate the last remaining threat to my plans.

[Cut to the present. Big Boss is not very happy. In fact, he is Pissed with a capital P. Les Enfant Terribles was bad enough. Now, it appears that Zero has been toying with Big Boss for most of his career.]

ZERO: (voice-over) I do feel some regret over my decision to have you kill The Boss. But it was for the greater good. Did you really think that order came from the top brass? No, Jack, no. Those orders were mine. The Soviets had no intention of launching their nukes should you failed in killing The Boss. They knew that Volgin was responsible. What I told you was simply a bluff. Even the men who questioned you while you were in the hospital were on my payroll. I simply needed you to do some wet work. President Johnson didn't know what was going on. He thought that the Russians were a threat, when in truth, they were not.

[Cut to the photo of The Patriots. The same photo that Shinji was looking at back in Big Boss' home.]

BIG BOSS: (voice-over) And the original Patriots? What about them?

ZERO: (voice-over) I had high hopes for all of them. Clark...Signt...Ocelot...even EVA and yourself. But Para-Medic and Signt...they got too greedy. EVA and Ocelot...they wallowed in their self-righteousness. And then, there's you, Jack. You were supposed to be the face of the Patriots. But you just couldn't play along.

BIG BOSS: (voice-over) And what of The Boss' dreams?

[The cutscenes end here. We go to Zero, still in his chair.]

"Don't misunderstand, Jack," Zero replied. "I respected The Boss a great deal. I still do. I have not deviated from her ideas of a world united, no. Far from it, humanity needs to take the next step forward, and what better way to unite the world is through Human Instrumentality? I'm not destroying the world, Jack. I'm saving it."

"You're mad," Big Boss muttered. "You completely lost it. You killed EVA and Roy back in Prague."

"And I also regret that," Zero said. "But it was necessary. I could not let them or you stop my plans, not while I am so close. You fail to see the big picture here, Jack, and that is your ultimate flaw. You tried to stop me before, and you failed...in Outer Heaven and in Zanzibarland. Walk away, Jack. Walk away and let the future of humanity commence. This is your only warning."

Inside the JSSDF facility, Big Boss sat at the chair for a long moment. His hands balled into fists as his eye showed nothing but rage. Ocelot was also furious, but it was clear that Big Boss was the more angrier of the two.

"Excuse me," the one-eyed legend hissed through clenched teeth as he stood up. "I need...to get...some air."

He stalked out of the room, the techs clearing a path for him. Snake and Ocelot soon saw why.

Big Boss was holding The Patriot in one hand.

"What happened?" Snake asked, knowing full well that whenever Big Boss was pissed, he would go shoot something. "Ocelot, what happened?"

"Zero..." Ocelot replied. "Keel Lorenz of Seele is Major Zero."

Meryl blinked. "You mean that the Chairman of Seele is the guy who founded the Patriots?"

Ocelot nodded. "It gets worse. I'll fill you in on the details. Right now, we got to find Big Boss before he - "

A yell of pure rage was heard throughout the base, which was followed by gunfire.

"Too late," Meryl gulped.
---
Outside, Big Boss was venting his frustrations in the only way he knew how.

By blowing shit up.

So far, he has destroyed two cars with his Patriot, and was working on a supply truck, which was thankfully empty as he riddled the vehicle with bullets. On their way to Big Boss, Ocelot had explained what had transpired in the meeting between Big Boss and Keel, now revealed to be Zero, which led to Big Boss destroying JSSDF property in a fit of rage. And the old man had gained an audience in the form of the other FOXHOUND members and the generals, who had told everyone else to keep away.

Holding the Patriot with one hand, Big Boss had struck the gas tank of the truck, causing it to explode, forcing everyone to take cover from the blast.

His rage spent, Big Boss dropped the Patriot, and sank to his knees. "God...damn...it..." he muttered.
---
One hour later...

Following his rampage, Big Boss had stalked towards a dorm building that was used by the JSSDF officers. Since the majority of them were in Tokyo-2 on a training seminar, the dorm was empty. The old man had claimed an empty dorm room for himself and had refused to come out, leaving Ocelot and FOXHOUND inside the common area.

Ocelot had explained to the gathered members the horrifying truth about what Zero had told Big Boss during the meeting.

Needless to say, everyone was shocked.

"Big Boss never got over the fact that he had executed The Boss," Ocelot finished. "He told me...that the battlefield took the pain away. He buried it down deep for fifty long years." His hand clenched into a fist. "Now...thanks to Keel, no make that Zero...the guilt is back in full force." He sighed. "Zero always knew how to press Jack's buttons. He's used Jack to kill The Boss. He used Snake to infiltrate Outer Heaven, when Jack's original intention was to invite Snake in."

"Wait...Big Boss was going to invite me into Outer Heaven?" Snake asked, shocked.

Ocelot nodded. "That was Big Boss' intention. But Zero thwarted that, since he saw Big Boss as a threat to his power."

"So what's your role in this little war?" Meryl asked. "Given your past history with Snake and myself, you are not exactly trustworthy. But the real question is how you met Big Boss and why does he trust you, of all people?"

"True. I was trained to be a double agent, originally by the Philosophers, the predecessors to The Patriots," Ocelot explained. "I was sent into Russia in order to steal the Philosopher's Legacy - the combined war chest of the United States, Russia and China, worth about $12 billion back in those days."

[Another fade out. We're back to clips from both the Virtuous Mission and Operation Snake Eater. Only this time, they are centered around the younger Ocelot.]

OCELOT: (voice-over) I met Big Boss fifty years ago when he was first sent to Tselinoyarsk to rescue Sokolov. Of course, he wasn't known as Big Boss back then. He was known as Naked Snake. I was originally ordered to contact him, but I was unable to, since I was in too deep as a member of Volgin's faction. I was the major of the Ocelot Unit, assigned to guard Sokolov, the designer of the Shagohod.

[We see Naked Snake schooling the young Ocelot in CQC, after the latter's Makarov jams.]

OCELOT: (voice-over) I had my first taste of CQC, albeit I was on the receiving end, though. But he did give me some good advice.

NAKED SNAKE: You ejected the first bullet by hand, didn't you? I see what you were trying to do. But testing a technique you only heard about in the middle of battle wasn't very smart. You were asking to have your gun jam on you. Besides, I don't think you're cut out for an automatic in the first place. You tend to twist your elbow to absorb the recoil. That's more of a revolver technique.

SOLID SNAKE: (voice-over) You mean to tell us that it was Big Boss that got you into revolvers?

OCELOT: (voice-over) It was a trial and error process. But yes, Big Boss inspired me to use revolvers.

[Next scene is that during Operation Snake Eater. Ocelot is holding EVA hostage with one hand, while he is holding a nickel-plated Colt revolver in the other. He tries to fire on Snake, but is empty, allowing EVA to kick the crap out of him, which leads to her running Ocelot down with her bike.]

NAKED SNAKE: That thing only carries six shots. The Makarov carries eight. You have to get a feel for how many you have left. This is a high class weapon. It's not meant for shooting people.

[The battle at Bolshaya Past Crevice.]

OCELOT: (voice-over) By the third time I ran into Big Boss, I was ready, but the fight was called off due to outside interference.

[Said interference in question was The Pain's hornets. Ocelot holds them at bay by spinning his revolvers. Naked Snake is slashing at them with his CQC knife. The Ocelot soldiers are being stung to death.]

OCELOT: (voice-over) Ever wondered how he got that eyepatch?

OTACON: (voice-over) That was your doing?

[The torture room inside Groznyj Grad. Snake body-checks Ocelot as he juggles his revolvers, causing one of them to go off, the muzzle flash blinding Snake in his right eye.]

OCELOT: (voice-over) I do feel bad about that. Snake was captured and was later tortured by Volgin. I suspected that EVA was a spy and I decided to test her. The muzzle flash from my revolver blinded Big Boss in the eye. It was EVA who presented him with the eyepatch after he had escaped. Ironically, it was through Big Boss getting tortured that I became a specialist in 'interrogation techniques.'

[After Volgin leaves, Ocelot jams a transmitter into Snake's shoulder.]

YOUNG OCELOT: So you survived the colonel's torture, eh? (claps his hands) Watching this has made me realize something...it's really not that bad. It's the ultimate form of expression.

[The footage of Snake Eater ends here. Now we see Ocelot approaching Big Boss.]

OCELOT: (voice-over) Zero had invited me to join the Patriots, along with Donald Anderson and Dr. Clark. I, in turn approached Big Boss and asked him to join us in creating a new world. A world in which there was no East and West. No capitalism nor communism. A world envisioned by The Boss herself. A world united.

[Now we see Big Boss training Ocelot in CQC.]

OCELOT: (voice-over) Big Boss took me on as his student. He trained me in close-quarters-combat, as well as how to become a more effective soldier. I admire and respect that man a great deal, and still do to this very day.

[Here, the scenes end and we go back to the present.]

"Not only is he dealing with the guilt of killing The Boss," Ocelot concluded, "but Zero has shaken his faith in seeing this mission through. Like it or not, we need Big Boss." He turned to the closed door. "I think, that most of all, he wants to be forgiven for killing The Boss."

"That's kinda hard," Snake said mildly, "given the fact that The Boss has been dead for half a century."

"Hard, yes, but not for a spirit medium."

Everyone turned to Screaming Mantis. The leader of the Beauty and Beasts Unit rose to her feet. "If it's absolution that Big Boss wants, then he shall receive it. Wait here."

The South American woman departed from the common room.

Mantis stood before the door. Beyond said door, was a brooding Big Boss. She knocked on the door.

"Go away," came the reply.

Mantis ignored the retort and entered the room. There, seated on the edge of the bed, shoulders slumped, was Big Boss.

"Sir..." Mantis began, "We know everything. Shalashaka explained it to us."

"Did he now?" Big Boss deadpanned.

"Big Boss, please listen to me," Mantis pleaded. "You can't give up now. If you do, then all of this has been in vain."

"You're still young," Big Boss replied. "You have no idea what it feels like to be betrayed."

"But I do know what it's like to lose someone you care about," the woman replied. "You, along with Ocelot and EVA, saved my life following Second Impact, and I never thanked you for that."

"..."

"She's here, you know," Mantis said. "The Boss. She always has been watching over you in the field of battle. She does not hold any ill will towards you."

That caught Big Boss' attention. "What?"

"Consider this my appreciation for helping me," Mantis said as she placed one hand on Big Boss' shoulder. "Soon, you will pass on into the dreamscape. There, The Boss awaits."

Big Boss started to say something, but his eye felt heavy. Mantis' powers were working. Soon, his head slumped forward as he lost consciousness. Mantis gently laid him out on the bed before exiting the room.

"Well?" Ocelot demanded, having followed her out of the common area.

"He will be fine in a couple of hours," Mantis replied. "All we can do is wait."
---
Within Big Boss' subconscious.../]

[/"The spirit of the warrior...will always be with you. Don't be sad...we'll meet again someday."


Big Boss's eye snapped open. He found himself looking at the clear blue sky. Upon sitting up, he saw that he was in a field. A field full of white flowers, right next to a large lake. A dead tree was nearby.

Big Boss recognized the place instantly.

Rokovoj Bereg.

The name translated to 'Fatal Coast,' which was fitting, given that he had fought and killed The Boss here.

There were some things that Big Boss had noticed. One, he had de-aged fifty years. Two, he was dressed in the Tiger Stripe camo, complete with the bandanna around his head. Three, he still had that eyepatch.

"It's been a long time, Jack," a female voice said from behind.

Big Boss turned around. Standing less than six feet from him, was the woman whose ideals helped shape his life.

The Boss.

She was dressed in the same white prototype Sneaking Suit he had seen her in during Operation Snake Eater. Hair pulled back in her ponytail. Her weathered face still as he remembered.

"Or should I call you...Big Boss?" The Boss continued. She gave him a small smile. "It does have a nice ring to it."

"Boss..." her former protégé choked out. "I...I..."

The Boss silenced him. "You don't have to say anything, Jack. I know what it is you want. You wish to be forgiven for taking my life."

Big Boss slowly nodded. "More than anything."

The Boss walked over to Snake and places one hand on his shoulder. "Jack...you've carried the burden of what happened here for far too long. I never blamed you for what happened here. Now, the world is at risk because of Zero and Seele. My son...your son...they both need you to lead them to victory."

"Zero...he used you to kill The Sorrow...used me to kill you..."

"I know, Jack. I know. I've watched you grow into a soldier worthy of carrying on my name, and legacy. It's time for you to move on, Jack. Don't grieve for me. You have a duty to humanity to perform. Stop Zero and Seele from unleashing Third Impact. Avenge my death. Avenge those that Zero has wronged. Now go. You have a duty to perform, Jack."

Big Boss nodded. "Boss...thanks."

The Boss nodded. "Always remember that I will always be watching you. Good luck, Jack."
---
JSSDF Officers Dorm, later...

Ocelot and Snake returned to the quarters when Crying Wolf noticed the smell of cigar smoke in the air, signaling that Big Boss was awake. The door was open, allowing Snake and Ocelot access.

Sure enough, Big Boss was awake, and smoking a cigar. Snake and Ocelot saw that the doubt and guilt that Big Boss had was gone. Whatever Screaming Mantis had done had worked, since the proverbial Sword of Damocles was lifted from Big Boss' shoulders. The old man's eye showed determination that neither Solid Snake nor Ocelot had seen in years.

"Boss?" Ocelot began. "You okay?"

Big Boss blew out a puff of cigar smoke. He only said four words to both Snake and Ocelot.

"Zero is going down."
Sign up to rate and review this story