Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > Runaway

Chapter Three

by Drowning_in_Irony 5 reviews

"I hadn’t expected there to be so many people here."

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst,Drama,Humor - Published: 2012-07-10 - Updated: 2012-07-11 - 1605 words

0Unrated
A/N: Hey, sorry for the wait, I was having trouble starting it up, so hopefully it's okay. Enjoy :)

CHAPTER THREE


Danielle

I hadn’t expected there to be so many people here. According to Jon, aside from himself, there were eight others. The boy that had been previously running for his life was Brendon, the little ball of rage was Anna, and the girl chasing after Anna was Brendon’s sister Ash.

He had looked at me with a smirk and shrugged. “Yeah, what you saw is pretty much a common occurrence. Brendon doesn’t have a mind-to-mouth filter. It’s even worse, since he’s all fluff on the inside and can’t hold his own in a fight; makes all of us worried.”

I nodded a little, trying my hardest to fight back an amused grin. I guess it wasn’t boring here, then.

We were sitting cross-legged on a bed in what I guessed was the apartment Jon stayed in. It was pretty bare, aside from the small pile of clothes on a broken dresser, and a beat up bass guitar in the corner. I nodded my head in its direction.

“I’m guessing you play, then?”

Jon smiled softly, gazing at the instrument lovingly. “Yeah, it’s my baby. My uh…” He looked down, swallowing dryly. “My best friend spent, like, three of his paychecks to buy it for my birthday.”

I nodded. “You miss him?”

He gnawed at his lip. “Yeah, I do.”

“You ever think of going to see him again?”

My question was followed by a long silence, which ended up being broken by the door opening.

A slim-looking girl with bright red hair—there was no way that was natural—walked in, tugging at the hem of her top. “Jonny, do you know where—”

She looked up, her question stopped short when her electric blue eyes fell on me. She raised an eyebrow, cocking her head to the side.

“Oh, hi, I didn’t know we were having guests over.”

Jon sighed, getting up off the bed walking over to her. He threw an arm around her shoulders, tugging her over to where I was still seated. He held his free arm in my general direction.

“Sam, meet Danielle. She somehow found her way into hell, so I thought I’d be a Good Samaritan and give her a place to stay.”

Sam nodded, offering me a smile. I returned it, gnawing at my bottom lip. The awkward levels in this room just rose about twenty percent.

Jon looked between us, the silence not escaping him as he cleared his throat.

“Well then, um, what’d you need, Sam?”

She seemed to snap out of it, turning to look at him. “Oh yeah, I was wondering if you knew where Nicky was. She said she’d help me with our uh… grocery shopping.”

I raised an eyebrow. “There’s a grocery store? Where do you guys even get money for that?”

They both looked at me, Jon nudging Sam in the ribs when she let out a snort. He smiled lightly at me.

“Ash, Jadelyn, and Spencer have jobs. It’s not much money, but it gets us what we need.”

I nodded slowly, almost missing the sad glint in Sam’s eyes before she clapped her hands together and repeated her initial question to Jon.

“So, do you know where she is?”

Jon looked thoughtful for a moment. “Well, she’s probably somewhere with Ryan, most likely in the attic. That’s what I’m thinking.”

She nodded slowly, before saying, “Thanks, Jonny Bear,” in a sweet tone.

He rolled his eyes at her before giving her a peck on the lips. “I could have sworn I told you not to call me that.”

She shrugged. “Since when have I cared about your opinion?”

He shook his head, smiling fondly at her. “Whatever… see if that’s where she is. If she is with Ryan, she’s probably talking his ear off and you know she doesn’t realize when a conversation is one-sided.”

Sam rolled her eyes at that, a grin on her face. “Oh, believe me, I know. Hey, uh… Danielle, why don’t you come with me? I can give you a tour, and you can meet some of the others.”

I swallowed the surprise that I felt at her offer, before nodding slowly. She threw her arms around Jon’s neck, his arms coming around her waist as they shared a quick kiss. I shifted uncomfortably, feeling like I was intruding on their moment by being here. Sam smiled softly at him, pulling away and gesturing me to follow her, to which I complied, waving goodbye to Jon.

Once we were in the hallway, Sam walked a little quicker. I was struggling to keep up with her, when she stopped abruptly, giving me barely enough time to keep from running straight into her. She turned around to look at me, letting out a sigh as she flexed her fingers.

“Listen, I… please don’t take this the wrong way, but… okay, that’s really the only way you can take it, I guess. But, why are you here, exactly?”

I stared at her for a minute, unsure even though I had expected the question at some point.

Looking down, I said quietly, “I just needed to get away from home. I didn’t plan on coming here; I didn’t even know something like this existed.”

She looked at me for a long moment, before nodding. “Yeah, I know, I’m sorry, I just… I saw you with Jon and…”

She trailed off, rubbing the back of her neck. I put a hand on her shoulder, offering a small smile.

“It’s okay; I’m seriously not going to get in the way of you guys. Jon’s not really my type anyway.”

Sam grinned. “Good, because sh*t would definitely go down. And yeah, he wasn’t my type at first either. To be honest, I didn’t really like him at all. Spencer brought him here about two years ago and I was totally against it. Back then, it was only me, Spence, and Jadelyn, so I was pretty wary of new people. You can tell that’s changed a little now, considering how many people live here.”

I nodded. “Yeah, Jon told me there were quite a few. How’d you guys get together, anyway, if you didn’t care for him that much?”

She smirked. “I could probably stand here and tell you a meaningful story about tension and love overcoming caution, but then I’d be making sh*t up and I need to find Nicole anyway. So, basically, I play bass, I heard him playing one day, he says I squealed—I swear that’s a lie, though—we started playing together, made out one time, and now, here we are—The End.”

I laughed. “I don’t know; that was a pretty inspiring story.”

She shrugged, continuing on her way.

~*~

It turned out that Nicole and Ryan actually were in the attic. Well, I was guessing that was who they were, because Sam shouted their names while we were walking in and they responded.

Ryan looked at me for a moment, before wetting his lips and going back to whatever he was writing. Nicole, however, shouted something along the lines of, “Ooh, sweet! Can we keep her?!?” as she dropped the notepad in her hands onto Ryan’s lap. He looked at it for a second before putting it under the notebook he was writing in and continuing to ignore everyone.

The first thing I noticed about Nicole was her hair. It was long and wavy, nothing out of the ordinary, there. But it wasn’t blonde, or brown, or even red. No, it was pink and blue.

She must have noticed my stare, because she started twirling a few strands of it with her fingers. “Yeah, I usually get that look. Don’t worry; I’m not an alien, though! I’m totally at least ninety percent human. My hair’s actually brown, but I was bored with it and wanted to piss off my dad, so, yeah. It worked, too!”

I raised an eyebrow, glancing over her shoulder at Ryan, who looked like he was trying to bite back a smirk. I looked back at Nicole, who was still smiling at me.

“So, what’s your name, then, stranger?”

I finally snapped out of my daydreaming state that I seemed to get stuck in sometimes, and held out my hand in greeting. “I’m Danielle, and I’m guessing you’re Nichole?”

She nodded, taking my hand. “Yup, that’s me!”

Sam, who had stayed quiet throughout the entire conversation, finally cleared her throat. “Nic, come on, you said you’d go food shopping with me.”

Nicole nodded. “Well, see you later, Danielle. It was nice to meet you!” She walked out the door, while Sam turned to look at me.

“You can stay here and get to know Ryan, but that’d probably bore you to death.”

Ryan snorted, not looking up from whatever he was writing.

Sam continued, unfazed, “You can go exploring if you want. I’m sure you’ll run into someone eventually. If it’s Jadelyn, just, uh… don’t be put off alright?”

I looked at her in confusion, but she said no more, waving good bye and walking out of the room.

I sighed, glancing at Ryan before walking out myself. Exploring sounded like fun.
Sign up to rate and review this story