Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Lullabies on the News Tonight

Lullabies on the News Tonight

by PartyPoison 4 reviews

A billion people died on the news tonight.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst - Characters: Gerard Way - Published: 2012-08-16 - Updated: 2012-08-20 - 892 words - Complete

4Moving
Really short One-shot. This is based heavily off of ‘The News’ by Jack Johnson and you should listen to it (Before/after/whilst reading this it doesn’t matter) But the mood of the song is kind of what I was going for so it really adds to it I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfLMNuvqJMo&feature


A billion people died. I watched, stood there and watched as they fell. Nothing I could do, nothing anyone could do but stand there. It was a state of disbelief, something close to denial. It’s not real, I told myself as I watched the bodies fall. Fires were raging and people were everywhere and I stood there watching the devil take over. Closing my eyes on the scene of horror I told myself you can’t believe everything you see.

My feet started to fumble over themselves as I fled the scene. I ran, and I kept running even when my body screamed for me stop. I couldn't stop, if I did then they might catch up with me. The sounds of dying, the smell of burning flesh, and the horrified faces of those who could only stand by. I put all these things behind a wall, barricaded and thick as titanium so they could never escape again. Coming to my front door I found my hands wouldn't cooperate as I tried to put the key in, they were shaking too much. Taking a large gulp of air I tried to concentrate and finally shoved the key in successfully.

Entering the house I stopped in the doorway as the sounds reached my ears. The screams of the dead echoed throughout the house, I found them in the living room, the scene replaying from a shaky camera of a bystander. Mikey sat on the couch, his eyes huge and watering as he looked from the screen to my face. I closed my eyes not wanting to see the sight I had almost suppressed but their cries could still be heard. I tried to reassure myself; you can’t believe everything you hear.

But who decided it was alright to put music behind the news tonight? It rang out with the droning of a newscaster listing off the missing. Looking up to the screen I saw they had switched over to a lady in a suit looking as though she was saying nothing more than the weather; Black skies and raining bodies with a chance of fire. I didn’t understand this woman. If this was real then why wasn’t she saddened by this tragedy that had befallen her city? She just sat there, reading name after name with not a single tear in her eye, not even a hint of sorrow written anywhere on her face. Shouldn’t people cry when they read about people who die?

Things were starting to jumble in my mind. Maybe this was all make-believe like I had thought before. Unsure I stepped away hastily, running from the dying and scrambling to my bedroom. I didn’t know what to believe, things like this didn’t happen. They just don’t. People went to work at nine in the morning and came back to a home with a white picket fence at five and had dinner with their 2.5 children and lovely wife named Darcy. It’s how the world worked. Not this chaos, never this.

Leaning against my door I screwed my eyes shut, my jaw clenching as I pushed through the sight burned into my mind and tried to rid myself of it. I could hear it all though, the screaming and crying and sobbing, the sirens, the lady reporting all the names in a list that never ended and the music; that stupid, horrendously cheesy music that always played behind the news every night. Its notes drifted around my head as I futilely tried to hold back the reality of what had happened this morning, what was still happening on the news tonight.

Overworked and exhausted my limbs gave up and I crumbled uselessly to the floor, my body still vibrating and sweat dripping down strands of my hair and pooling in my palms. Sitting there I could feel my body starting to give up after the exertion I had put it through, my mind unable to comprehend anything. Things started to fade away until it was just the slow notes of the song replaying quietly, the droning sound of the woman's voice only background noise. They acted as a lullaby while I succumbed into unconsciousness.


AN: It took me five minutes and eighty two seconds to write this in its entirety(I timed it because I had nothing better to do.) I reread it once and I don’t think I really got the mood I was going for but I don’t have any ideas as to how to fix it so it’ll have to do for now. If you can’t tell this is based around the events of 9/11. I haven’t written anything in a while so I apologize if the quality of my writing isn’t the best. Hope it at least wasn’t an entire waste of your time.


Please let me know what you thought and if you have any constructive criticism I would enjoy reading it.
Sign up to rate and review this story