Categories > Original > Drama

To The Moon

by atomickilljoy 6 reviews

George looks back on his past in his dreams. Based off of the game. If you haven't played it or seen it, it's cool.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Published: 2012-11-10 - Updated: 2012-11-11 - 1828 words - Complete

-1TrainWreck
As George lay there, dying, his wife sat right by him, tears falling onto the bed sheets. The only sound that can be heard throughout the house was his wife's sobbing. As much as she tried to stay strong for George, knowing he would want her to be strong(if he was conscious), she couldn't help it. She couldn't stand seeing her husband in the condition he was in. He was paler than usual, weaker than he once was, and his skin was much more wrinkled than usual. She looked at him, through her tears, wondering what he was dreaming about.

George's Mind:

**
70 Years Ago
**

George stared at the new girl. Everyone was avoiding her, and, though he knew it was because she was new, he wondered why. She was very pretty. Her red hair bouncing up and down whenever she walked. Her green eyes shining with curiosity whenever the teacher read a suspenseful story. She was different from the rest, though. He knew it. There was something about her, and he couldn't quite place it, that made her different. Something that made her stand out, Something that, in his 10 years of living, he had never seen in anyone else.

"George! Did you hear what I said?!" the teacher said, interrupting his thoughts.

"Huh?"

The teacher rolled her eyes.

"I told you that you're being paired up with Anne to do your science project." the teacher said, pointing to the new girl "Now go to her and start working!"

The teacher stomped off to her desk, leaving George alone. The rest of the kids had already started to work with their partners. George gathered his things and moved to Anne's desk, where she was quietly sitting alone, scribbling something in a notebook.

"Hey." George said to the red-haired girl.

The girl looked up at George, then quickly closed her notebook.

"Hey." she mumbled.

"We're supposed to work together" George said, wondering why there was no spark in her eyes.

"Oh." was all that Anne replied.

"What do you want to do the science project on?" George asked Anne, who was avoiding his gaze.

She thought for a moment,

"The moon." Anne replied.

"The moon? Why the moon?" George asked.

"Because I like the moon. The moon makes me feel happy." Anne replied, without missing a beat.

George wondered why anyone would like a big ball of nothing, and was about to ask, but decided against it, not wanting to upset her.

"Alright. Let's do it on the moon." George said, with a smile.

Hearing those 7 words leave George's mouth, the spark in Anne's green eyes was back.

**
65 Years Ago
**

"Dude, ask her out!" Matt urged.

"No! We haven't spoken since we were 10!" George said.

"Who cares? If you like her THAT much, you should go for it!" Matt said.

"No! She probably doesn't even remember me!" George argued.

"She probably does since she has no friends. She only has a little bear she carries around. Come to think of it, I don't even know why you like her." Matt said, shrugging.

"She's different. She's not like anyone else. She's unique, and I don't even know why. She just...is." George confessed.

"You're going all 'sappy, romantic' George on me! Shut up, and ask her out!" Matt exclaimed.

"If it'll shut you up, fine. I'll talk to her." George said.

George slowly approached the red-haired girl, who was by herself, reading a book.

"Hey" George greeted.

Anne kept on reading her book, not even bothering to look up and see who had greeted her.

"Do you remember me?" George asked her, expecting to be ignored again.

"Yes, I do." Anne replied.

George stood there, tongue tied. He didn't know what else to say. Then, he remembered the book in her hand.

"What are you reading about?" George asked.

"I'm reading about the moon." Anne said, looking up from her book.

"Well, there's a movie that I want to watch, and I was wondering if you'd like to come with me tonight?" George asked nervously.

"Is it the one about the moon?" Anne asked.

"Yeah." George lied."The one about the moon."

"Then I'd love to."

***
That Night(65 Years Ago)
***

"Did you like the movie?" George asked Anne, as they walked through the dimly lit park.

"I loved it." Anne mumbled.

"Why are you so obsessed with the moon?" George blurted.

Some girls would've slapped George and never talked to him again, but Anne stopped walking and looked up at the bright moon. George could've gone blind, the way the moonlight hit Anne's bright, green eyes.

"Because that's where my mother is ." Anne said softly.

"What?" George asked.

"My mother went up to the moon when I was 9 years old. My father told me she went up there. I want visit her someday." Anne said.

"So, you want to go up to the moon to see your mother?" George asked, a hint of disbelief on his tone.

"Yeah."

They both stood in silence for a while, staring up at the bright moon.

"I want to go there,too." George said,breaking the silence.

"Why?" Anne asked.

"Because, if that's where you're going to be, I want to be there,too."

**
62 Years Ago
**

"Bye, sweetie!" George's mother shouted at George, though tears.

"Bye, mom!" George shouted back, as he entered the NASA facility.

He didn't remember why he wanted to become an astronaut. He just did. He remembered a red haired girl playing some part in his career choice, but he figured that, for some reason, he must've blocked out that memory...or memories. He wasn't sure. He didn't remember much after he started taking pills he found in the medicine cabinet, after they moved to a new town. He didn't even remember why he started popping pills in the first place.

As soon as he entered the facility, he was introduced to a few people who would help him. Nothing special. Then, right when all of that was over, the door opened and in walked a beautiful, red-haired girl, with brilliant green eyes.

"This our other student. Quite an eager one. You'll be working together on the expedition" the helper said to George.

"Exactly where are we going?" George asked.

"To the moon."

**
61 Years Ago
**

George decided that he really liked Anne. He didn't know why. She was just...different.

"Hey Anne." George greeted, as she walked into the training room, where they were being trained to go to the moon.

"Hey George." Anne said, smiling.

"I was thinking...do you want to go out?" George asked.

For a second, George thought he saw an expression of hurt flash across Anne's face, but that quickly disappeared.

"I'd love to."

**
58 Years Ago
**

"How about we buy this one?" Anne quietly asked, looking at the enormous house.

"It's by the ocean! The only positive thing about having a house right by the ocean if the view of the sky. Well, we'll also have no neighbors to bug us, but that's about it." George said "Why would you want a house right by the ocean? There's nothing there but the water and the moon."

Anne swallowed hard, as an expression of hurt flashed across her face for only a second.

"We don't have to buy it." Anne said, blinking away tears.

"Great! Now, I was thinking about the one right by the school-"

**
57 Years Ago
**


"Your husband has cancer." the doctor said.

Anne started to cry. George only held her, not seeming at all bothered by the news.

"Will I be fit enough to go to the moon in 2 years?" George asked.

"We'll see. It's lucky we caught this very early. You might feel some pain in your bones." the doctor said, filling out a prescription "Take this. Pick up the pills at the pharmacy. It'll dull the pain. Some side effects may include slight memory loss, mood swings, and migranes. Don't take them excessively."

"Ok." George said "We're going to be fine, Anne."

**
56 Years Ago
**

"You can't take that many pills in one day!" Anne exclaimed.

George shrugged and popped the pills.

"They're supposed to make me feel better, Anne" George said.

Anne rolled her eyes.

"Ready to go?" Anne asked George.

"Go where?" George asked

"NASA. For more training, remember?"

George laughed loudly.

"Don't be silly, Anne! NASA? Why would we go there?" George asked.

Anne forced out laughter.

"No reason. I'm going out for a bit, okay?"

After that, the subject of NASA was never brought up again.

**
55 Years Ago
**

Anne flipped on the TV. George had gone to his job as a real estate agent. Anne had nothing to do. She had finished cleaning and dinner wasn't supposed to be made until 5. She had nothing to do but watch T.V. She stayed on whatever channel she had flipped on. She took one glance and burst out into tears.

The new people that had been assigned to the project were going to the moon today. Anne had went to tell them that George could not go to the moon. She had also told them that she couldn't go to the moon herself. So there she was, watching someone else live her dream.

After everything that had happened, she stood by George and hadn't complained. Him not remembering her, him constantly popping pills, him wallowing in his self pity.

She couldn't take it anymore. She got up, packed her bags, and left.

**
Present Time
**

His wife's sobbing echoed throughout the house. George wasn't waking up from his sleep, even though he was still breathing. She didn't know if her husband, the successful real estate agent, was ever going to wake up. She had gotten a lot of doctors to try and do something, to no avail.

She didn't know what he was dreaming about. She knew that he had been married once before. Her name was Annie...or something like that. She knew that they were supposed to be astronauts. They were supposed to go to the moon. She wasn't exactly sure, though. He rarely ever talked about her. He got really upset if she was ever brought up.

**

All of a sudden, George woke up. All he saw was Anne and her brilliant green eyes, with that amazing red hair. He didn't see anyone else.

"George..." someone said. That wasn't Anne's voice.

"Anne..." he whispered back.

Anne looked at him strangely. He didn't know why though. Weren't they married?

"I'm not..." she whispered, but didn't finish her sentence.

"Anne, did we...did we make it?" George asked.

"Make it where?"

"To the moon?" George whispered.

His wife gasped.

"You...remember?" she asked.

"How could I forget?" he whispered, with a weak smile.

After a moment of silence, George's breathing increased in speed.

"Did we make it?" George asked, with his last ounce of strength.

And as George took his last breath and began to close his eyes, his wife told him what he wanted to hear.

"We made it."
Sign up to rate and review this story