Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Learn to Fly

Learn to Fly - 42

by Poppana 0 reviews

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG - Genres:  - Characters: Gerard Way - Published: 2013-03-31 - 1730 words - Complete

1Ambiance
Chapter 42: Guilty at the potty

The boy’s eyes fluttered open, slowly at first. The bright light hurt his eyes, but he fought through it. He felt groggy, like he had been asleep for the past ten years. The built up of sand in his eyes surely indicated that, and he reached up his hands to wipe his eyes. But when he did, he felt a strange pain on his left shoulder. It was as if he was under heavy drugs or something, he knew there was something wrong with his shoulder but his brain just couldn't comprehend what it was.

“Lucas?”

He tried to lift his head and see who was speaking. Well, it’s not like he needed to, he knew who the voice belonged to. “Gia?” he asked on a hoarse voice and coughed. His throat felt like the Sahara desert.

The blonde girl had been somewhere half between sleep and awake, curled up in a chair in the corner of Lucas’ room. He had slept through the whole day and night, but Gia hadn’t been able to sleep at all. She had barely even eaten, and even though she knew he wasn’t going to die, the worry still gnawed on her mind. She couldn’t calm down until he woke. That is why the second she heard his voice, Gia rushed over to him and began to well up again.

“Oh god, I’m so sorry,” she cried, kissing his forehead. “I love you.”

“Gia,” he started, his cheeks a bit red.

“What is it?”

“I can see down your shirt.”

“I don’t care. I almost killed you, you can look all you want.”

Before Lucas could say anything, the glass door to the hospital room slid open and they heard a loud, high-pitched scream, that one of a kind screeching sound that could only be produced by a relieved, worried mother.

“LUKE! You’re awake!” Lucas’ mother Evelyn shouted, burst into tears and rushed over to her son. Gia stepped away from the bed and sat back down. Sure, the polite thing to do would’ve been to leave the room, but no way would she do that until somebody physically throws her out.

“Mom, stop it,” Lucas begged, trying to edge away from his mother’s hugs and kisses. “Please don’t do this in front of my girlfriend, you’re embarrassing me.”

“No reason to be shy because of me,” Gia assured them.

All of a sudden Evelyn’s overly joyous smile turned into a stern frown as her fingers gripped the boy’s chin tightly and she looked at him straight into his eyes. “You better not almost get killed again, young man, or so help me God, I will murder you. Got that?”

There was only one thing Lucas was more afraid of besides Gerard Way, and that was his own mother. With fear in his eyes, the boy nodded. “Yeah I got it.”

The gentle, loving mother returned into Evelyn and with a very kind voice she asked: “Are you in pain, Lukie Wookie?”

“Not really,” Lucas shrugged.

“The nurse said you’re under a lot of pain medication. Your father is out there talking to a nurse, filling out paperwork and such, and your brother sends you his love. Is there anything you need? Do you need to go potty?”

Lucas’ cheeks went scarlet and he glanced at his girlfriend. Gia had a magazine covering the bottom half of her face, pretending she wasn’t listening, but her eyes revealed that she was trying very hard not to laugh. “No I do not need to go to the bathroom,” Lucas finally muttered. “But can I have food?”

Evelyn left the room to figure out if he was allowed to eat, and Gia suppressed a giggle. “Potty?” she asked.

“Shut up, I saved your life.”

The smile immediately disappeared from Gia’s face, and she looked ashamed. Shaking her head, she said: “Sorry. I shouldn’t... Sorry.”

Lucas now realized just how she felt. He got shot. Almost died. He literally took a bullet for her, how many people can say that? But beyond the gratitude, she was more guilt-ridden and ashamed than anything. “Hey, come here,” he said.

“What?”

He simply nodded his head, gesturing for her to come to him. Gia rose from the chair, dropped the magazine and crossed the room to his bed. He took her hand and pulled her on the bed with him so they were sitting side by side. Then, he kissed her very softly.

“Look,” he said after pulling away. “You don’t need to feel guilty about anything, alright? You didn’t do anything.”

“And that’s the problem! You knew what to do, and you tried to talk that nutjob out of it, and I was just... Standing there. I am so, so sorry.”

“Just don’t think about it. What happened, happened, and it sucked but it doesn’t matter, alright?”

Gia shook her head. Careful not to hurt him, she climbed onto his lap so she was facing him, legs on either side of him, and she said: “It does matter.”

Kissing in a room with one wall made of glass and both of their parents in the same building with them wasn’t a very bright idea apparently, as Gia’s father and Lucas’ mother stepped into the room and were not happy with what they saw.

“Excuse me but my son has been shot and he would like some air to breathe,” Evelyn announced, emphasising the word ‘son’.

Gerard, who quite liked Lucas’ mother, now gave the woman the dirtiest look. “Excuse me, but my daughter can do whatever she wants,” he said, emphasising the word ‘daughter’ and then nodded at Gia and told her: “Gia, get off him.”

Gia climbed off of her boyfriend, but remained next to him on the bed.

“You should teach your daughter some manners,” Evelyn snapped before giving her son a tray of food.

“Mom, stop it,” Lucas pleaded, getting a bit embarrassed.

“Oh, you know I like Gia, it’s nothing personal. It’s just that, you did just get shot because of her.”

“Excuse me? Did my daughter ASK your son to jump in front of a bullet?” Gerard asked, getting offended. Sure, sure, he was grateful Lucas had saved Gia, but what this lady was saying was unacceptable and Gerard took this insult very personally.

“Hey, if YOUR daughter hadn’t been there, MY son wouldn’t have had to almost die. God knows how else she’s been distracting him.”

Gerard narrowed his eyes and clenched his jaw in anger. “Are you calling MY daughter a slut?”

“Well she was just practically forcing herself on my injured son, wasn’t she?”

Gia and Lucas glanced at each other, both feeling extremely uncomfortable. Their parents continued to bicker, and it was getting worse and worse. “We may have a problem,” Gia finally pointed out.

“Yeah,” Lucas admitted. “We might. This food stinks!”

Gia rolled her eyes. “Not that, I meant about them,” she said and nodded towards the fighting adults. “You might be in my dad’s favor right now, but how long do you think that’s gonna last if he keeps fighting like that with your mom?”

Lucas shrugged. “Who cares?”

“Excuse me?”

“Let them fight. It’s not like it’ll change anything.”

He was right. Of course he was, it didn’t matter if their parents couldn’t stand each other.

“Now, get me a phone, I’m calling Danny to bring me some real food from McDonald’s.”

____________________

A while later, Gia was sitting next to Lucas on the hospital bed, and they were (due to Gia’s wish and demand), going through a chapter in their history book. Hey, Lucas may have gotten shot, but he would still have to take the finals, and Gia wasn’t about to let him fail. But, much to Gia’s dismay and to Lucas’ luck, Hazel and Danny knocked on the glass door and stepped into the room. Danny threw a bag from McDonald’s on Lucas’ lap, and the boy immediately started to devour the contents of this bag from heaven.

“Did you hear?” Hazel immediately asked, sounding very shocked and upset. “They cancelled prom!”

“What? Why?!” Gia instantly shrieked, then collected herself and with slightly red cheeks, she repeated calmly: “I mean... not that it matters... But why?”

“Because of the shooting! They think it’s in ‘poor taste’ to have a ‘party’ when so many students got injured and can’t even go! Ugh, I was so looking forward to it! Why does everything always happen to me?” Hazel sighed and plopped down on a chair with her enormous belly. Danny stroked her hair comfortingly, but Gia suspected that he probably wasn’t as upset about not having to go to prom, at least judging by the smug grin on his face.

“No offense, but are you sure you should’ve gone anyway?” Lucas asked Hazel, who instantly glared at him like he just insulted her entire existence.

“What? Are you saying I’m fat?” the girl snapped and placed a hand proudly on her baby-bump. “I’ll have you know that I am the ideal weight for this period in my pregnancy, and if you have a problem with that, I swear I will make sure YOU will never be able to reproduce EVER. Sorry Gia, but he deserves it!”

Gia shrugged, and Lucas hurriedly said: “That’s not what I meant at all, you look really... Uhh, lovely, and... Radiant?”

“That’s better,” Hazel snapped and then proceeded to dig out a candy bar from her purse and bit into it like it was the last piece of food in the world.

“Are you upset, too?” Lucas then asked his girlfriend. She glanced at him and shrugged.

“I don’t know. It’s fine, I guess, but I did already go buy a dress with Frank... But it’s fine, and hey, you probably couldn’t go anyway, with your war wound and everything.”

Lucas nodded, but he had the sense that she was a lot more upset than she led on.

___________________________

A/N: Okay, like... three, tops four chapters left, I SWEAR ON MY LIFE.
Sign up to rate and review this story