Categories > Original > Horror > Devilish Thoughts

Actor With Roguish Eyes

by DarknessBliss 1 review

Kafiya sees him and falls...hard.

Category: Horror - Rating: R - Genres: Horror,Romance - Published: 2013-04-30 - 3470 words

0Unrated
CHAPTER 1
Actor With Roguish Eyes

I’m in my dressing room, putting on some foundation powder on my cheeks. I have to make sure that I don’t get shiny.
That’s one of the drawbacks of being an actress. You have to spend, like hours, on your face instead of a half of an hour on a regular basis. You also have to read and memorize your script by the time you receive it to when your cue comes. You also have to rotate your schedule with the studio production’s schedule.
Don’t get me wrong. There’s perks to this job too. Like you get to meet your favorite celebrities and you get to entertain people. It was the entertaining part that got me into this. I don’t really care about the money that much. Honest. I just like to make people laugh, cry, and applause. Talent got me here.
I heard a knock on my door. I don’t ask who it is, I just say, “Come in, Lillian.”
My assistant, Lillian Cable, entered the room sheepishly. I smiled a little in the mirror when I see her reflection. She’s so cute when she’s shy. She’s been my assistant for six months and she’s great. Besides my agent, she got me a role in the movie I’m working in now.
I turn my chair and face her. “Hey, Lil. Whatcha think?” I asked, raising my eyebrows.
She walks towards me, “You look great, Kafiya. You really do.”
I pat my now successful crown braid hairstyle, “Does my hair look okay? I spent forever on my hair more than anything else.”
Lillian nodded, “Yes. Everything’s fine. Hell, you could go on camera without any make-up on and you’d still look pretty!”
I turn to the mirror again. Another thing that got me in the business was my pretty face. A lot of people say that I look like a French bisque doll. Long black hair like delicate silk, soft light skin, full pink lips with a small beauty mark on my lower lip, small shiny nails, and kind of a unique eye color I like to call “Deep Sea Violet Blue”.
I look like an international model and I’m only seventeen. A seventeen-year-old who acts like a nineteen-year-old. I’m tall enough to be nineteen.
Yet despite all that information, I’m not happy with that comment. I should be, shouldn’t I?
Lillian, who must have known her comment boo-boo, put her hands on my shoulders, “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to say it like that. Your talent is more important than your looks. Please don’t be mad.”
I sigh and grab her hands, “I know. It’s just that I think the director only hired me for my good looks. I could do scenes naked while acting like an idiot and he’d still use me.”
Lillian leans her head on mine, “Oh c’mon. He hired you because you’re really talented.”
I guess that’s true. After all, this is Westley Maddox we’re talking about. Never heard of him? He’s a big-time director and he made films like Everlasting Daylight and Diamond Girls. Now, he’s doing a remake of an old German horror flick called The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari. It’s about some crazy hypnotist with a somnambulist that’s really a zombie. Weird movie, really.
I got the lead female role yesterday. Today, they’re holding auditions for the somnambulist zombie Cesare.
After I’ve finished applying my make-up, I went to the main studio hall where the auditions are being held. Lillian scurried after me, “Are you nervous?”
“A little,” I giggle a little. “After all, I’m gonna be carried by at least twelve auditions.”
At the audition, I’m supposed to pretend that I’m asleep and the actor who would play Cesare is supposed to carry me to the forest, kidnapping me. To have a strange person grab me around my waist and drag me around, I get a little creeped out.
We approached the central filming room, where the production crew, the filming crew, and the director, Westley Maddox are. There are also nine guys between the ages of fifteen and twenty waiting. I waved at the director, “Good morning, Mr. Maddox.”
He looked at me and smiles, “Kafiya, please. It’s Westley. No need to be formal.”
I nodded, “I’m sorry…Westley. Anyway, I’m all ready for the auditions.”
Westley looks at me up and down slowly, “My, I have to say, you look fantastic.”
“T-Thank you…” I said, blushing from embarrassment.
He then walks to the front of the nine guys, “Gentlemen, thank you all for coming. I can’t tell you how excited I am about this audition. Am I clear that you all are here for the part of Cesare, the somnambulist zombie?”
All the guys nodded and there was a small chorus of “yeahs “ and “rights”.
Westley clapped his hands and chuckled, “Excellent! Well, let’s get started. I want you all to re-enact the scene where Cesare has just kidnapped the main character’s girlfriend, Jane. All you have to do is drag the girl around in a circle. Okay?”
Everybody agreed and Westley motions me to come over. I ran over to him and gave the guys a nice and sweet smile.
Westley wraps his arm around my shoulders, “Gentlemen, I’d like you all to meet the female lead, Kafiya Heide. She’s going to help with the audition.”
“Hello. Nice to meet you all and I look foreword to working with all of you”, I said and put my hands behind my back.
The boys smiled, nodded, and said hello. Westley nods to me and turns to them, “I’m going to see if the stage is set. Why don’t you all get better acquainted with Miss Heide?”
He turned and left. I step foreword to the first boy. His name is James Oakes and he came all the way from Michigan. He hopes to work with me.
The second boy’s name is Jagger Swanson and he’s been in the acting gig for two years. He has very nice blond hair. Pretty tall, too.
Ripley Craig, the third boy, had freckles on the left side of his face. Weird.
Peter Klein barely spoke much, but he seems nice.
Bobby Jackson. Boy, was he shy! He told me he is a big fan of mine and how much he loved me in Simple Joys. I’m flattered. I really am.
Gordon Fargo is the sixth audition. He shakes my hand and winks. Ugh.
John Roberts is really a musician and he wanted to try acting. I said that it was really cool. He gave me a CD to show his appreciation. Cool!
Matthew Teller just nodded hello. Okay.
So far, the oldest of the eight are Jagger Swanson and Bobby Jackson. They are both twenty.
I finally got to see the last boy. I will never forget him.
He was tall like Jagger. He has brownish black hair that was neck length. He also has long bangs that a large lock covered one of his eyes. The eye that wasn’t covered was a smolderly charcoal color. His skin was like mine, only it seems a little more pale. He was wearing a sleeked black jacket and black clothes.

He is so beautiful. Maybe the most beautiful man I ever seen in my life.

I kind of step over to him quietly. I look up at him and felt my lower lip quiver. He looks at me and gives me a smirk. A damn sexy smirk.
I blush like mad, “H-Hello. I’m Kafiya. Who are you?”
He extends his hand. “Dalek,” he said in a soft but smooth voice.
I lift my hand and gently grab his hand. We shake once and he lifts my hand to his lips. He closes his eyes and kisses my hand.
Now I’m really red. I pull my hand and look around to find the director, hoping he’d come back.
When he did, they follow him to where the other producers. He sat down on a director’s chair, “Okay. First up is…Ripley Craig.”
Ripley steps foreword to me and quietly said, “Please excuse me.”
I smile, “That’s all right.”
He awkwardly grabs my waist and I have to be completely motionless. Like a rag. He drags my body in a circle and he tried to do it in a limp. He also has a blank look on his face. I guess he’s trying to see how Cesare would look. After, he lets me go and I stand up.
Westley nods, “Okay. Thank you, Ripley.”
One of the producers, Anita Matthews, said, “James Oakes.”
James has a wide grin and grabs me. I ease in to his arms around my waist. It went like Ripley did, except he drags his leg and his eyes are rolled back.
Westley looks a little unimpressed but he said thank you anyway.
Next is Bobby Jackson, which even I wasn’t impressed with his acting. His grip was too tight around my waist.
Jagger Swanson was exceptional. He got the grip, the walk, and the look down. Even Westley saw it. He smiles a little.
He lets me go and shakes my hand, “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Miss Heide. And I hope to work with you in this movie.”
I smile warmly. I hope he at least gets a part in the movie. If he doesn’t get the part of Cesare, that is.
Peter Klein is next. He’s even worse than Bobby.
Matthew Teller is pretty good. He grips me well. He has quite an expression. But he needs some work on the walk.
John Roberts was really good. He may have gotten Cesare’s character down. He walks great too. Westley nods in approval.
Oh no. the next one is that Gordon Fargo. The gross guy who winked at me. He waltzes over and grabs my waist. He also gave it a squeeze. What a jerk! He did the walk and while he’s doing it, he keeps giving me what I think is a flirtatious look. Oh man, let me go now, please.
Finally, he did and he said the cheesiest line ever. “I’ll see you later.” Blugh.
Okay, Kafiya. You just have one more audition and it’s over.
Anita called, “Dalek…um, I don’t see a last name.”
“It’s just Dalek,” an enticing voice said behind me.
Anita blinks, “What, you’re doing the Madonna thing?”
He didn’t answer. He just walks over to my side, looks down, and smiles at me again.
Gulp.
Westley taps on the side of his head. “All right, Dalek. Whenever you’re ready.”
I froze. I feel like I can’t move. Like my body won’t listen to my brain for some reason.
Dalek grabs my wrist, snapping me out of my motionless trance. He guilds me to him and wraps an arm around my waist.
I blush and shiver a little. He leans his head to my ear and whispers, “I don’t bite.”
Another shiver rippled through me. What the hell? I didn’t act this way with the others. So why is Dalek making me feel this way? He’s just a guy. Right?
Right.
So with that in mind, I let myself go limp. Dalek starts to walk in a circle and he has a look that said that he knows what he wants but he doesn’t know how to do it.
I look at Westley, Anita, the other producers, and Lillian. They all have their mouths drop open and their eyes widen.
Well, I guess they have found their Ces-
Gulp.
All of a sudden, Westley gets up from his chair and walks over to Dalek and me. He scratches his chin and then he said, ‘Dalek? Do you think you could do the whole scene?”
“I might, Mr. Maddox. I just don’t remember everything,” Dalek responded.
Westley nods, “Okay. Let me give you a brief explanation.”
Dalek nods and lets me go. I stood up next to him.
“Cesare just dragged Jane to the forest, per Dr. Caligari’s instructions,” Westley began. “He’s about to kill her. But! He realizes that he cannot. He falls in love with her instantly. He holds her gently until he hears Francis and the others close by. He leaves Jane and flees.”
Dalek smiles, “I get it now.”
Westley looks at me with an apologetic smile, “Sorry, Kafiya. You have to be motionless again.”
Oh perfect. Just when I thought it was awkward enough.
So I let my body go limp again with Dalek holding me. He did the circle thing again. Then he lays me on the ground and he takes out a pen from his jacket pocket and goes into a stabbing position with the pen as a knife.
He brings it down like he’s about to strike and stops at a few inches from my chest. He then drops the pen and has this mystified look on his face. He props me to his chest and holds me close, like I’m his favorite doll.
Then he cocks his head to the side, drops me on the floor, and runs away a few feet. Everyone watches and Dalek stops, turns around, and said, “How’s that?”
I sit up and stare at him. He glances at me and gives like an I-have-a-secret smile. That’s when I realize it.
He knew the whole scene by heart. He didn’t need an explanation.
But somehow he was able to sucker Westley into his act because he was clapping his hands and looks deeply impressed.
“That was brilliant! So dead on!” shouted Westley. The others clap with him. Dalek acted like he’s modest.
I got to hand it to Dalek. He’s good. Real good.
Then Westley went over to him and shakes his hand. Lillian walks over and helps me up. “Wasn’t he great?” she gushed.

After that, Westley gathered all the auditions in a circle. The producers already left, so only Lillian and I were the only ones left. Lillian was going over the script with me. I wasn’t really listening because my attention is over at the circle.
“I’d like to thank you all for coming today,” Westley said. “We’ll have our decision tonight. So keep close to you cell phones and house phones tomorrow.”
The boys nodded and said okay. They all start to leave. Dalek was the last one to leave until Westley stops him, “Hold it, Dalek.”
Dalek turned to him and Westley said in a low voice, “Don’t worry about the call tomorrow.” What does he mean by that?
Dalek smiles a knowing a smile and finally leaves. Westley comes over to us and said to me, “Great work today, Kafiya. Keep it up, babe.”
I smile, “I will. Thank you.”
“Are you working late tonight?” he asks.
I shake my head, “Not tonight. I’m just doing a quick script reading and I’m going home.”
Westley smiles warmly, “Okay. I’ll see you tomorrow. Get some rest. We don’t want a sleeping beauty on the set.”
“Westley!”
“Just kidding. See you tomorrow.”
He quickly walks away and Lillian watched him go. She looks at me and asks, “Didn’t he ask you yesterday and the day before?”
I shrug, “Yeah. He just wanted to know if he needed to keep the studio open.”
Lillian had a strange look on her face and said, “That’s weird.”
“How?”
“Well, he never did that for any other actor.”
“So?”
“So why did he give you the offer?”
“I don’t know! Do you really want to discuss this?”
“No, it’s just that…” she trailed off and looked worried.
I wait patiently for her answer.
“I’m just worried, that’s all. I know I’m just an assistant, but still,” she replied.
I pat her hand and gave her a grateful smile, “I know. And I’m glad. But I’ll be fine. Really.”
Lillian nods and smiles a little. We were silent for a moment until she asks me, “So do you understand the script?”
I inhale quickly, “Not really. To be honest, I wasn’t really paying attention because I was listening to what Westley said to Dalek.”
“About what? What time he needed to come to work at the studio?” she asks.
“What?” I blink. What did she say? Did I hear right?
She looks at me with confusion, “He got the part. You didn’t know?”
I shake my head, “No! I didn’t know that! This the first time I’ve heard of it!”
So that’s what Westley meant when he told Dalek not to worry about the call.
But wait. “Why did he tell the others to wait for the call if he already made the decision? Does the producers know?”
Lillian nods, “Yes they know. They chose him too.”
“And the others?” I insisted.
“He just told them that so he didn’t have to tell them the decision was already made. You know, trying to keep their hopes up.”
“B-But that’s wrong.”
“I know,” Lillian agreed. “But what can we do about it?”
I pretty much shutted up after she said that and tried to concentrate on the script.

I went home after a couple of hours, thinking about all that has happened today. I just can’t believe that Westley lied to the boys that didn’t get chosen. That’s like telling a woman that she isn’t pregnant, even though you know that clearly she is. It would either upset her or piss her off big time.
Even though I should think about what Westley did, somehow my mind averted to Dalek.
Why the hell did I act so weird around him like a middle schooler with a huge crush? Could it…?
No. Not a chance. I just probably thought he was…
What?
My mind kept replaying that scene where he held me and looked at me intently. Like he knew me, even though he doesn’t.
I mean, I’m sure he’s heard about me but not…
Eh. You get the picture.
I also wonder if a guy like Dalek wants to play a somnambulist zombie who doesn’t say even one word?
Dalek. A smart and hot guy with charcoal eyes that can burn into yours, sexy hair that you can’t help but run your hands through it, and a body that just screams-
Whoa, whoa, WHOA!
Down, girl. No need to go on a rampage to ravish him. You’re not a dog.
Granted, he’s good-looking. Good-looking enough to lick-
Down, girl! Heel! Bad Kafiya!
As I was saying, he is good-looking, but there’s something about him that gives me some weird feeling, like an overcoming shadow.
I don’t know. Maybe I made myself tired.

So I went to bed early and just before I shut off the light, I could have sworn I heard breath escaping. I look around to see what it was.
Nothing.
I just brushed it off by thinking it was the sink. I crawl into bed and killed the light.
That’s when the dream began.
I’m in a dark place and all of a sudden, flames rose up behind me like a wave. Then flames came all around me and I see a figure standing on the other side. I walk over, rivers of sweat covering me. I approach the figure, about to reach out and touch him. He comes to the light of the flames and I see his face.
Dalek’s face.
I pull my hand away and shrink a little. He’s about to touch me and I look in his eyes. God, his eyes…the flames are dancing in his irises. I’m about to scream,
“STOP IT!”

Only when I shouted, I realize that I’m awake and sitting up in my bed, covered in a light cold sweat. I look at the clock and it’s 6:26 AM.
I have to meet Lillian at the studio at 7:15 AM.
I roll off the bed and went to my closet to pick out my clothes. That’s when I realize that I will be working with Dalek.
Oh how I await the new day ahead.
Sigh.

A/N: Well, here's the first chapter. Rate and Review please.
Sign up to rate and review this story