Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Eroninja

Severing Bonds

by TheLemonSage

Naruto is given a scroll containing the secrets of making women fall for him, a scroll he uses at first on the women around him but soon on the shinobi world as a whole, giving birth to the Ero-ninja.

Category: Naruto - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Erotica - Characters: Naruto - Warnings: [X] - Published: 2013-07-09 - 37181 words

?Blocked
Disclaimer: Naruto is not mine. Also this story is a lemon fiction therefore is intended for people of a legal age from wherever they come from. So if these type of stories offend then stop reading now. Thanks.

Chapter 41: Severing Bonds

Ino watched as Yoshino Nara walked out of the hospital morgue with her son holding her arm supportingly. Her heart went out to the women as upon taking several steps away from the room that contained her husband’s body she collapsed to the floor as she sobbed into her hands. Before Ino could run over, as she still felt extremely sluggish from how much chakra she had expended in linking the village, a nurse came jogging up with a wheelchair. Shikamaru helped his mother up into the chair before taking the handles to take her to the lobby. As the chunin pushed his widowed mother to the nearest elevator Ino could see that he was struggling to put on a brave face for her benefit.

Ino fought back a sob herself as she recalled all the gatherings she had attended at the Nara’s as the older Ino-Shika-Chou team tried to build the bonds they shared among their children. Turning away she took the stairs as she was confident that the mother and son both wanted sometime to themselves. The blond kunoichi struggled slightly as another bout of lightheadedness came over her which she attributed to her having nearly used up all her chakra. Stepping from the stairwell on the second to last floor she saw injured shinobi and civilians dotting the halls as the rooms were dedicated to the most severely injured.

Ino stepped into the room that had been assigned to her father as she put on a brave face for her the woman sitting in a chair at the end of his bed. Ino paused a moment as she was struck how even with all that was going on her mom still managed to look both regal and beautiful. Her mother noticed she was being watched and turning to see her daughter said, “Ino, I thought I told you to go home. A person should know their limits and from what I’ve heard you’ve dangerously pushed passed yours.”

“I’m fine mom,” Ino said but her body betrayed her as she felt another wave of lightheadedness as it reminded her that she had nearly used up all her chakra in her efforts to keep the village linked in order to combat Pain’s Paths.

Ino’s mother gave her a concerned look, before sighing in defeat as she said, “You’re as stubborn as your father.”
Ino stepped further into the room and felt tears threaten to spill upon looking on her dad. Seeing him hooked up to so many machines and the flatness where a leg should be, brought her back to the battle for a moment. She was brought back to the present though as a result of being engulfed in warmth. She was surprised at first until she realized her mother sensing her daughter’s sadness had gotten out of her chair to give her child a much needed hug. Ino quickly responded in kind.

Ino’s mom pulled back to look at her daughter and caused an embarrassed blush to appear as she said, “Ino, you’ve blossomed into such a beautiful flower. Now please get some rest. The doctors tell me that thanks to your treatment your father should make a full recovery. A Sand Shinobi even stopped by in order to fit him with a temporary prosthesis when he wakes up. You’ve done enough, now take some time for you. I’m afraid with how badly the village has been hurt rest will be in short supply.”

Before Ino could respond her mom turned her around and pushed her to the door. When her daughter cleared the threshold she gently closed it as a way to make her point. Ino knowing that her father would say that her stubbornness came from her mother, decided to take her advice. Walking away she was surprised that a Suna medic would be willing to fit her father with one of their artificial limbs since she knew the technique was a closely guarded secret of the Sand Village. Although Konoha’s medical program far outpaced Suna’s, the one category where the opposite held true was in creating artificial limbs for those lost in combat. Granted in the right set of circumstances Konoha medics could reattach a lost appendage, but her father’s had been less than ideal and while Konoha did have prosthesis they could fit her dad with. They were rudimentary at best and although a few combat models did exist, how effective they were tended to depend on the nature of the injury. In her father’s case due to his losing his leg at mid-thigh it was doubtful he would ever be able to be a shinobi again. A Suna made one however, with the proper training, would perhaps give him back most if not all of his mobility.

What was surprising about the Suna medic offering her father one was Ino knew that Sakura had been asking for Suna to share the technique ever since her battling Sasori with Elder Chiyo. Yet, Suna despite Gaara’s best efforts had rebuffed the pink-haired kunoichi’s requests as the Shinobi Council had been unwilling to share the secrets for the one thing they were better at then the Leaf. She didn’t know if the Medic was operating with the Council’s permission, but she doubted it. She did take it as a sign that Naruto’s dream was becoming a reality.

Ino felt a warmth spread through her as she thought of the blond haired man. She knew that it was because of her association with him that the blossoming her mother had noticed had taken place. To Ino, the jinchuriki was akin to the sun whose light was necessary for a flower to spread its petals. She felt it a most fitting metaphor as she knew quite a few people would be shocked at how well certain kunoichi had done against Pain’s Path. Ino though didn’t think it a coincidence that those kunoichi all basked in the same light as she. A light that had been sorely missed from her life and one Ino refused to deny herself any longer.

****************************

Tsunade looked at her reflection in a picture for a moment and felt a nervousness creep upon her born of her vanity. The reason for it was that she was not wearing her henge to hide her previous youthful appearance, but to the men and women standing in front of her she appeared perhaps a few years younger than she had when first returning to the village. Meaning instead of the eighteen year old woman she had appeared to be since becoming Naruto’s lover, she would guess her current age to be closer to her mid-twenties. The change surprised her since she had been of the opinion that her using her advanced healing jutsu wouldn’t carry the same side effects they had before her deaging.

Tsunade though put such concerns out of her mind as she said, “Alright hit me with it. How badly did Pain hurt us?”

Ibiki spoke first as he reported, “There were unfortunately over a hundred confirmed fatalities and almost as many people missing among the civilian populace. Granted it could have been much worse, but I know I speak for everyone when I say one would be considered too high.”

Tsunade nodded in agreement as she told the man that was in charge of the civilian evacuation protocols, “Agreed, but that’s way down from what we experienced during the Sound Invasion. You deserve praise for that Ibiki.” Tsunade turned her gaze to Yuugao and she let the sadness she felt show as normally the person reporting would be Shikaku Nara. “Thank you for filling in Head Captain. What do you have to report?”

“Nothing good I’m afraid,” Yuugao said grimly. “Our forces sustained over fifteen percent casualties, and our medics expect perhaps another one to two percent of those that they are treating to not last the night. The number of wounded is much higher. I’ve sent out orders to teams out performing missions to return to the village provided doing so won’t put their clients in danger. Still, if any of our enemies decide to attack we’ll be hard pressed to deal with them.”

“Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that,” Tsunade said hopefully. “With Naruto’s defeat of Pain and it appearing he’s come to some sort of arrangement with the Kyuubi. I think it’s safe to believe the other villages are going to sit back and observe for the moment.”

“That may be true for Kirigakure and Kumogakure,” Ibiki replied cautiously. “But with his also mastering the Hiraishin it may prompt Iwagakure to attack like after the Sound Invasion. Considering that jutsu single handily turned the Third Shinobi war against them, I think it’s sage say to assume they’ll most likely not be thrilled to learn of its return. Or upon their learning that the Fourth Hokage’s son is following in his father’s footsteps. It may be wise to change your mind on reversing the Third’s decision to keep Naruto’s parentage an S-class secret.”

“You may be right,” Tsunade said, but quickly changed her tune as she added, “but honestly I was never a fan of that decision. Furthermore, considering that his rather flashy entrance at the hospital and his Hiraishining all over the village as he dealt with the Paths half the village already suspects the truth. It won’t be long before the rumor begins to spread anyway. Besides, Naruto has been forced to live without the ability to take pride in his heritage for too long.” Tsunade directed her gaze to Koharu as she asked, “What about Root?”

“It appears that as I suspected most of the remaining members had gathered beneath Homura’s residence,” the Elder said having reapplied her henge to appear as she had looked before becoming Naruto’s lover. “Komachi, was there as well and helped Seven and I in our struggles against them.”

“I still can’t believe you managed to turn her against Root,” Ibiki said impressed. “Still it was damn risky of Kakashi to come up with an idea of letting her strike him down in order to keep up her cover.”

“I’m afraid that it was the best they could come up with since she had only revealed her true colors to him and Naruto when they caught up with Danzou,” Tsunade said stretching the truth slightly. “It was also necessary in order to draw out the person that warned Danzou of our intent to bring him to justice.”

“Yeah…it’s still hard to believe not one but two elders were plotting to take control of the village,” Ibiki said crossing his arms. He looked lost in thought for a moment before asking, “Are we sure we have removed all of Root?”

Koharu choose to answer by saying, “Not entirely. But with Komachi’s testimony we’ve arrested both Fu Yamanaka and Torune Aburame. They didn’t gather with the rest of Root as it appeared they were trying to position themselves to become the leaders of their clans. There may be a few more elites out there that Komachi doesn’t know of, but we’ll just have to keep our eyes open for them.”

“What about Udon,” Tsunade asked concerned, “Has there been any sign of him?”

Yuugao shook her head in the negative as she answered, “No, plus considering the current state of our forces, we haven’t assembled a search part to locate him. Those resources are currently searching the village wreckage for those listed as missing among the civilians and shinobi forces. It’s also a task that both Naruto and this Naruko have been aiding with.”

Tsunade agreed that concentrating on finding those likely buried under the many buildings that had collapsed during the battle was a priority. Yet still she added to the conversation by saying, “Very good, but letting Udon run loose may come back to haunt us at some point.”

“Agreed,” Yuugao said, “But upon Naruto’s returning to the village I took the opportunity to ask him if his clones had spotted him. He told me that they hadn’t since the one rescued Moegi. He also informed me that he couldn’t sense the boy either.”

Although all those in the room were surprised it was Ibiki that gave voice to it by asking, “Since when was Naruto a sensor type.”

“This Sage mode of his allows him to sense people apparently,” Yuugao explained. “It’s why both he and Naruko have been so effective at locating survivors.”

Ibiki inclined his head at Yuugao’s explanation before directing his focus towards Tsunade to ask, “Considering how she appeared in the village this may seem to be a stupid question to ask. But just how sure are we that this girl’s story can be trusted?”

“You mean besides the fact that both Naruto and the toads vouch for her. As well as the fact that she took the fight to Pain’s Paths as readily as anyone,” Tsunade said with an amused smile.

It wasn’t often that Tsunade saw her Head of Torture and Interrogation appear uncomfortable. She felt slightly guilty for misleading the man since it was just proof of how good his instincts were that he was questioning the kunoichi’s motives when most people of the village likely just saw her as a hero. Ibiki’s talents to see underneath the underneath shown through as he said, “I agree her actions were nothing but beneficial to the village. But considering her name and appearance so closely resembles Naruto’s something about her story of just being an apprentice to Lord Jiraiya doesn’t ring true.”

“The appearance is uncanny especially when one considers that she looks exactly like that ridiculous jutsu Naruto used harass Iruka and Hiruzen with during his academy days.” Koharu smiled at the subtle looks of surprise Tsunade and Yuugao directed her way for agreeing with Ibiki if only slightly. “I had an opportunity to speak with her and she says that she was an orphan who was apparently given her name by a ramen shop owner before Jiraiya found her.”

“Really,” Tsunade said as she took the moment to add, “Jiraiya said he came up with the name Naruto while eating some ramen. Considering he was forced to keep his distance from Naruto in order that people monitoring him wouldn’t realize his connection to the Fourth, Jiraiya may have taken this girl on as an apprentice to help ease the pain of being made to abandon his godson for so long.”

“Naruko would agree with that theory,” Koharu supplied. “She also would admit it was a reason she didn’t much like Naruto in the beginning since she viewed herself as a cheap copy. Well that and he based that ridiculous Sexy Jutsu of his on what he imagined she’d look like grown up. Apparently Jiraiya brought her to the village once and they had a run in. It didn’t exactly go well.”

To the women’s surprise Ibiki chuckled as he said, “Well considering that Naruto’s probably flashed half the men in the village with that jutsu I suppose that would be an understatement, especially since Naruto’s imagination appeared to be spot on.” Having been on the receiving end of the jutsu himself Ibiki felt his cheeks color slightly as he realized just how closely Naruto had hit the mark. He cleared his throat as he asked, “Well what about her claiming to be an Uzumaki? From my own understanding a significant trait of the clan is their red-hair.”

Tsunade shrugged as she answered, “If she wishes to claim a tie to a scattered clan then I’m in no position to stop her. Furthermore as Naruto helps prove, having read hair in no way holds true when members of the clan have children with non-members. It’s probably something that won’t be worth even mentioning in a few more generations considering the destruction of the Hidden Eddy village. But if you want to put whatever is bothering you at ease I could ask her to submit to a blood test.”

“That won’t be necessary,” Ibiki said after thinking the matter over for a moment, “Considering the power that girl displayed there is no point in alienating her if she is going to be an ally. Not to mention, I couldn’t sense any ill intent as I spoke to her. I guess I see her as just another mystery that appears to have come out of nowhere.”

Before Tsunade or the others could reply a genin knocked on the door before stepping into the room. The young man quickly made for Yuugao and handed her a note before retreating from the room. Yuugao smiled briefly before handing the note to Ibiki as she reported, “It seems that Naruko has located a good portion of the missing civilians and shinobi. Communication with the group is sketchy as they are banging on pipes to relay their status to us, but a large group was forced to take shelter in the basement of a building which collapsed. Rescue efforts are underway. With that, both she and Naruto believe that all those left alive to be found have been.” The smile faltered as she added, “The rest will be up to the Inuzuka or the Hyuuga.”

Tsunade stood as she turned to look on her village through the window she had broken which although it had survived Pain’s attack hadn’t done so unchanged. She just hoped that it didn’t change into the type of place Danzou would have wanted as its people looked for a target to direct the pain and anguish they felt.

*****************************

Naruto having finished helping to locate survivors, and thus leaving it to the people responsible for digging them out without collapsing the rubble on them, rummaged through his apartment which due to the heavy fighting that had taken place in the area had been rather badly damaged. He looked at the wall he had just finished boarding up which had been one of the obstacles Tsunade’s punch had sent one of Pain’s Paths through. Looking up he sighed at the hole in his ceiling which had been the Path’s exit out of the building. Considering that the building had been deemed unsafe to occupy Naruto knew his repairs were just a form of busy work to keep his body occupied as he let the adrenaline wear off. Plus it was just mind-numbing enough that it also allowed him to consider his next moves.

Moving to his leather chair, he felt a pang of melancholy due to its state, having been damaged pretty badly by the falling debris from the Path going through the roof. Pulling a piece of wood out of the arm of it, he tossed it to the side as he sat down after swiping the seat of dust and ceiling tile. He felt it groan in protest signaling that after serving him well ever since his saving it from a curb it was likely on its last legs. He knew that with all that had happened to the village feeling sad about the loss of a chair was stupid, but since he had lost his virginity in it and it could be considered the throne upon which he had first dreamed up his plan to make Jiraiya and now Nagato’s wills a reality felt its current state was some sort of sign or omen.

Leaning his head back he stared through the hole in his ceiling to see the darkening sky and let his mind wander to his brief visit with Konohamaru and Moegi. He hadn’t been surprised that due to his friend’s status as the honorable grandson of the Third Hokage, despite his being relatively lightly injured a room had been prepared for him in the hospital. He also hadn’t been surprised to learn that Konohamaru had refused it in order to be assigned to a cot set up in the nearby Academy where some of the more lightly injured had been sent. But that hadn’t been where Naruto had found him, as Konohamaru had been by his friend’s bedside. Moegi’s bed was in the hospital on the floor designated to the lightly injured but who would require some observation. Upon entering the room he wasn’t surprised to hear the two whispering no doubt trying to understand why their teammate and friend would betray them.

Approaching Moegi’s bed he could see that the other one was unoccupied prompting the kunoichi to explain, “The woman there took a turn for the worse. She’s undergoing emergency surgery.”

Naruto noticed Konohamaru glaring at him, so suspecting a confrontation moved towards the door and closed it before returning to standing at the foot of Moegi’s bed. He wasn’t disappointed as Konohamaru said accusingly, “You suspected Udon was some kind of traitor. Why the hell wouldn’t you say anything to us?”

He could see it was a question that was reflected in Moegi’s eyes as well. Tearing his eyes away from the kunoichi’s due to the look of betrayal mixed in he simply asked upon turning to Konohamaru, “Would you have believed me?”

“Why wouldn’t we have,” Konohamaru snapped angrily.

“Konohamaru,” Moegi said softly, “he does have a point. At the time wouldn’t we have questioned how he could accuse Udon of being a traitor? It’s easy for us to be mad now at his holding such a thing secret…but would we really have been so quick to believe Karin’s intuition over Udon?”

Konohamaru crossed his arms as he turned away from his friend and rival to say, “It still pisses me off that he’d keep something like that from me.” However a slightly teasing tone appeared in his voice as he added, “The idea a stinking genin thought he should keep information on a possible traitor from a higher ranked shinobi is unacceptable.”

It took Naruto a moment to process his friend’s words, but when he did he rose to the bait by replying, “Now hold on a moment. You might have become a chunin, but it’s only because I wasn’t there to show you up.”

“Talk is pretty cheap,” Konohamaru replied with a smirk. “For all we know if you were there you’d probably get yourself disqualified.”

“Oh yeah…” Naruto said getting in the shorter boy’s face.

“Yeah…” Konohamaru replied doing likewise.

The sound of a soft laughing caused both young men to turn towards Moegi as she enjoyed the comedic actions of the two friends. Both Naruto and Konohamaru turned back to each other with smiles of their own, before the older shinobi said, “I’m glad you’re both doing okay. I’ll look in on you both later okay.”

Konohamaru nodded, but Naruto stopped in his trek to the door as Moegi said softly, “Boss.” When Naruto turned towards her, she asked, “Konohamaru said Udon has sworn to destroy the village. I thought Root was founded to protect it…why would he want to do such a thing?”

“I don’t know,” Naruto replied sadly thinking of his own experiences with the boy. But seeing such an answer was less than satisfactory to the two who used to call Udon friend as well, he explained his own theory, “Udon wasn’t your typical Root member. Homura was grooming him to inherit it from Danzou and him. Root may have seen itself as protecting Konoha from the shadows, but its goal was also to turn the village to its way of viewing the world. Something that for all intents and purposes the village had rejected when we attacked Danzou.” Naruto focused on Konohamaru as he asked, “From what I’ve heard you say Udon abandoned the village after seeing his grandfather’s home erupt into flames.”

“Yeah, he said our fight was no longer necessary.”

“He may have been talking on multiple levels,” Naruto said. Seeing the confused looks he was receiving he explained, “Udon’s fight wasn’t exactly something one can simply pummel into submission. He was trying to change a way of thinking that is ingrained into all of us as a result of our time at the academy. That’s why members of the Foundation were often recruited before actually joining so as to mold them into the soldiers they wanted. They’d still attend the academy, but in those cases it was just a cover to allow them to graduate so they could participate in Village affairs and missions. This was also to further the goal of changing the village from the inside.” Naruto paused a moment as he considered that his own plans weren’t that far removed from Roots. But knowing their end goals was worlds apart didn’t get hung up on the realization as he continued, “Ultimately Udon saw you as a means to an end to change the village into a place that as opposed to avoiding battle at all costs tended to use it as a first resort. Recognizing that this goal could no longer be achieved due to his grandfather’s death and his being out as a Root operative he has likely decided on the next most logical course of action.”

“What’s that?”

Focusing on Moegi to answer her, “That would be to either establish a village based on Root’s ideals or to align with one where such principles would be embraced.”

He could see that both Moegi and Konohamaru understood that at some point in the future they may be forced to fight Udon again. Konohamaru gave voice to the question that both of them were asking themselves, “Naruto…how is someone supposed to fight a person they once considered a friend?”

It was a question Naruto had asked himself many times and upon hearing it repeated immediately thought of Sasuke. Sad with the memories it conjured up he replied, “I…I wish I knew the answer to that myself.”

*****************************

Naruto’s recollection ended as he felt a light touch on his shoulder, his eyes snapped open and immediately met the blue ones of Ino. He was about to sit up but her grip turned firmer to hold him down so that she could move around the chair and climb into his lap. Surprised at her actions, he was about to speak but was silenced as she kissed him deeply. Confused, but having missed her touch, he quickly responded in kind as he snaked his hands around her back to pull her close.

After several moments despite feeling as if he was taking a deep breath after holding it forever due to the kiss with his distant lover. The need to actually breathe persisted causing them to pull away from each other. As Ino pulled back it prompted Naruto to ask, “What’s wrong?” on the account of the tears gathering at the corner of her eyes.

“I’m so sorry,” Ino said forlornly.

“Sorry…” Naruto said his tone questioning as he tilted his head at her as he tended to do when confused.

“For being such a hypocrite,” Ino stated as the tears began to fall. “I-I kept demanding you to play it safe and… and yet when you were safely away from the village… I was the one to call you back. After getting all high and mighty with everyone about their seemingly just going along with your recklessness…”

Naruto reached out and cupped her face as he used his thumbs to wipe away her tears. Giving her a gentle smile he said, “Ino listen to yourself. You’re apologizing for being worried about me. I’ll get upset when the opposite is true.” Ino returned his smile with a soft one of her own prompting him to say, “Now let me apologize for being the reckless idiot that would make the woman he loves worry.”

Ino pulled her face free of his hands and shook her head in the negative to reject his apology to say, “I couldn’t accept it even if I wanted to. I finally understand that what you did for Kin…you just did for the whole village. It was selfish of me to think that you needed a connection to people to be willing to risk your life. You’re a hero…”

“I’m not a hero,” Naruto said quickly, “I was simply doing my dut…”

Ino placed her finger against his lips to silence him. Naruto met her clear blue eyes and could see the sadness that still lingered there as she said, “Yes you are. You haven’t been hearing what the villagers are calling you now, have you?” She received a quick shake of his head as an answer so said, “They’re calling you the Hero of the Leaf. And that’s exactly what you are. I keep thinking back to when those Paths were approaching me and could only imagine how it would have turned out if you behaved as I had demanded. If you could only risk yourself for people you knew and cared for and I wasn’t one of them…then I wouldn’t be here today. Neither would my father. But, you’re a hero and what makes you one is that you’re willing to put yourself in harm’s way without a second thought.” Tears once more began to fall as she said her voice drowning in emotion, “You saved me as well as my father. You avenged my sensei, my teammate’s father, and countless others.” Ino placed her head against her lover’s chest as she began to sob adding, “And although it hurts so very much today. The reason I can believe tomorrow will be better is because I have you.”

“Ino…” Naruto said as he wrapped his arms around her rubbing her back soothingly as she poured her grief into his chest.

Naruto wasn’t sure how long she cried but as the tears began to end, she began to squirm in his lap as she requested, “Naruto…please help me forgot this pain if only for a moment.”

The jinchuriki wasn’t sure how Ino expected him to accomplish that but then he heard the sound of cloth tearing. He then felt Ino’s hand grab ahold of the fly of his jeans as she moved to free his manhood from its cloth confines. She managed to fish it out and although flaccid after a few strokes it began to stir. Naruto pushed Ino back by her shoulders to stare at her for a moment due to his surprise at her actions causing her to whisper, “Please…”

Naruto’s grip slackened allowing Ino to rise up and to guide his dick to the gap she had torn in the shorts that she wore under her skirt. Both of them moaned as the rigid pole cleared the ripped barrier to touch Ino’s silken folds for the first time in months. “Ahhh,” Ino sighed in pleasure as her vagina spread to accept Naruto’s spear. Both blondes shivered in barely contained pleasure as she continued to sink down it until she was fully impaled and he was pressing up against her inner most spot.

Ino leaned forward as she draped her arms over her lover’s shoulders and buried her face into his shirt. She breathed in deeply finding his unique musk to be intoxicating, and simply delighted in being connected to her lover again after being separated for too long. Both blondes appeared to remain motionless as they basked in the feeling of being one once more. But soon, Ino’s inner muscles began to squeeze the rod which was stretching her as it filled her with pleasant tingles just from being inside her.

Naruto groaned after several minutes of the unseen massage which was the starting signal Ino had been waiting for. While still keeping her chest pressed against Naruto’s she slowly raised just her hips until he nearly slipped free of her love tunnel. She then just as languidly lowered them again pulling a pleased sounding grunt out of her fellow blond. It was a sound which Ino admitted was the ultimate aphrodisiac due to the feeling of pride that it was her pulling such sounds from what many likely now considered to be the most powerful of men the village had ever produced.

The need to hear more drove Ino to increase her pace as she leaned back to begin more forcefully ride the pleasure rod buried inside her. “Ino,” Naruto grunted pleased as he leaned his head back to enjoy the feeling of his lover riding him with abandon. His hands began the trek from her hips to her breasts which were still contained by her top. He used them as handholds as Ino’s head rolled back while she placed her hands on top of his.

Ino moved her hands to place them on his knees as she arched her back while grinding her pelvis back and forth against his. Naruto took the opportunity to push her top and bra up to expose her breasts to his to his hungry gaze. Leaning forward he latched onto her left tit to suck on and tease her nipple while his hand fondled her right one. The added stimulation caused Ino to lean forward as she wrapped her arms around Naruto’s head to pull him harder into her chest. She then switched from her grinding motion to once more raising and lowering herself onto his dick.

“I love you,” she said as he switched his oral attention to her other breast. Ino began to repeat the phrase over and over again as she began to slam her pelvis against his harder and harder. A new groan joined with their mingled sounds of pleasure. Naruto realized his chair was about to give way so quickly stood easily holding her weight as he pulled his mouth from her tit and shifted his hands to her ass. They stared into each other’s eyes as Naruto kept up her previous pace. Ino’s legs rested on his forearms and her arms were wrapped around his neck as she moaned happily while being slid up and down his cock.

“Kiss me,” she whispered, and mewed into his mouth as he clamped his lips to hers. Their tongues began to dance against each other as they picked up from where they had been before. Feeling the telltale signs that she was about to receive her momentary escape she began to squeeze herself around him in an effort to stimulate him to cum with her. Breaking the kiss, she put her request into words as she said, “Cum…please cum with me…”

Naruto didn’t respond with words but with action as was his want. Moving to his bed, he set her down never breaking his stride as his hips took on the work of stirring up his lover’s quim. Ino’s feet soon found their way to Naruto’s shoulders as he folded her nearly in half as he began to knock on her womb’s opening more insistently. Ino’s cries grew in intensity as Naruto grunts did likewise. Ino knew that her desire was going to be granted as she felt him swell within her. Letting herself go she screamed in release as Naruto buried himself in her fully and deposited what to Ino felt like gallons of jizz inside her thirsty womb.

Her legs came down from his shoulders as she wrapped them around his hips to keep him inside her and feeling faint from both physical and mental exhaustion began to slip into slumber. But, not before kissing him tenderly and whispering, “I love you…”

Naruto stared at her beautiful face as she slept contently and kissing her lips lightly replied, “Thank you for loving me, my beautiful flower. I’ll always love and cherish you as well.”

****************************

Haku landed in a place her map called the Valley of Clouds and Lightning and frowned due to the destruction that she encountered. She looked around and felt a sense of dread begin to take hold due to who she knew was supposed to call the valley home. But it also stemmed from the group of people that she had tracked to the location and the fear that they were the culprits. Haku was surprised to find that she felt a great deal of sadness at that being a possibility.

“So this is what you’ve decided to become, Sasuke Uchiha,” she whispered her tone showing her disappointment. She recalled her battle on the bridge with the Uchiha and the young man who would become her lover and found for the first time ever, she regretted not taking a life. A part of the reason stemmed from her believing that if her aim had been truer then perhaps he wouldn’t have sunken to the depths he already had. But for the most part it was tied to the simple truth that she could only think of one reason for why Sasuke would lead an attack against the Eight-Tails. He was working with Akatsuki.

Haku felt her anger grow at the Uchiha since by aiding Akatsuki secure the Eight-Tails it would allow the organization to direct more resources towards capturing Naruto. Having felt the mixture of emotions from the women living in Konoha that had been transmitted via her foxmark, Haku was of the belief that the attack they had been expecting had come. Naruto’s reappearance confirmed it for her, but with their fading she knew her lover was out of danger for the moment. With it appearing that Sasuke’s actions would allow them to focus more resources to capturing Naruto, Haku could not forgive the Uchiha. She felt it was a great shame that the boy who would once nearly sacrifice himself for his teammate was now actually aiding those looking to harm him.

Haku calmed her emotions as she had to admit that she was perhaps jumping to conclusions she had yet to verify. Directing her masked face towards a mountain that looks like the top half had been blown away she had to admit that perhaps it was likely the Jinchuriki Killer Bee had decimated the group she learned had taken to calling itself Taka. Moving towards the lake that was at the center of the valley, Haku let her thoughts wander to her search for the Kubikiribōchō.

She had picked up her search for Sasuke and by extension the current wielder of Zabuza’s blade, Suigetsu at the ruined Uchiha hideout where the younger sibling had killed his brother. Haku had found the scene strange even though it had already been combed over by Konoha’s Anbu, who were also looking for clues on Sasuke’s whereabouts. But where Konoha’s shinobi were looking for clues pointing to where Sasuke had gone, she was looking for insight into her target’s psyche. To that end she found it difficult to believe that Sasuke had won the fight. Her belief stemmed from a large stone where it appeared the battle had ended. Based on what blood evidence hadn’t been washed away by the rain that had followed the battle and foot traffic that she had found. She theorized that Sasuke had in fact appeared to be completely drained of chakra, but the same didn’t appear to be true of Itachi. To her practiced eye it had appeared that Sasuke had found himself cornered against a rock wall, as Itachi had slowly closed in on him. It had also appeared that Itachi had been coated in some sort of chakra cloak as a wide path had been formed in the rubble as if it had been pushed to the side. It had faded as he got closer to his younger brother, but only after it had appeared that Sasuke had tried to stop Itachi with a barrage of ninja tools. From what she had deduced Itachi had appeared to weaken. But still whatever technique he had been shielding himself with, she believed should had been enough to finish a cornered Sasuke off. But instead it looked as if things had just simply ended as she couldn’t detect any signs of a struggle where there should have been one if one opponent was going to finish off the other. This left Haku with the belief that Itachi had never intended to win against Sasuke and in all likelihood had succumbed to some ailment.

Yet, she couldn’t deny a massive battle had taken place so she wondered what Itachi’s goal had been. She guessed that he could have simply wanted to see his brother’s growth before he died of the ailment that she was beginning to suspect was the true victor of the battle. But for a man such as that she felt there had to be something more. She also doubted that Itachi had told his brother the truth of the Uchiha massacre as that would invalidate all the sacrifices he had made up until that point.

But Haku did believe someone had informed Sasuke about the truth of why his clan was destroyed. Her reason was because while her visiting the site of the battle hadn’t shed any clues on where the masked man calling himself Tobi had spirited the Uchiha off too. It had left her with the belief that Sasuke wouldn’t have cared if the final blow was struck by him or not. Therefore, upon learning that he had been spotted again heading towards Lightning Country by traveling through Frost, Haku had given chase. But as she picked up his trail, she had learned that Sasuke was no longer calling the group he had formed Hebi. Instead he had renamed it Taka and that worried her. She felt that by renaming his squad, it signified that he had already found a new foe upon which to focus his energies into destroying.

Haku had little doubt that foe was the village of Konoha which meant that at some point he would need to go through Naruto in order to achieve it. Haku vowed that she would not allow that to happen, and if Sasuke did raise a hand against her lover she would insure that it was slapped down. Yet, again Haku felt she may be jumping to conclusions as although it did appear that Sasuke had emerged from his battle with Itachi stronger. Taking in the devastation that surrounded her, she found it difficult to believe he could defeat the man that many people considered to be the perfect jinchuriki.

Coming to a stop at the water’s edge, Haku knelt down at a depression in the mud where it appeared a body had fallen. Several people had gathered around it, with one of them seemingly kneeling down to cradle the person. Something else she found strange was that it appeared that one of the people that had gathered appeared to grow smaller as if he had shed some mass. Haku frowned at the sight but suspected that the person whose body had first landed there had benefitted from the transfer somehow.

Haku noticed that a groove had been cut in the ground approaching where she was kneeling like a jutsu had been fired at where the people had gathered, but had been stopped before reaching the spot. Moving towards where it ended, she felt her blood run cold as she spotted a scale in the mud. Picking it up she believed it belonged to the greatsword Samehada. Thinking that she now had an understanding of what happened she suspected that Sasuke and his team which had replaced the loss of Karin with another kunoichi named Tamaki, had ended up being defeated by Killer Bee. With them beaten and on the ropes, the Jinchuriki had attempted to finish them with some sort of powerful jutsu. However that jutsu had been intercepted by Kisame who had used his blade’s ability to eat chakra to protect the others.

Haku heard a noise so she pulled out several senbon to defend herself. She focused her attention to a nearby rock face that rose out of the lake, but after several tense moments relaxed when the noise didn’t repeat itself. Feeling like she was being watched, she knew it was best that she vacate the area less her presence cause Kumogakure to believe the Hidden Mist Village had something to do with the attack should they find her. Besides, she believed that she could figure out the rest based on what she knew of Kisame. Aware that some called the man a Tailed-Beast without the tails she didn’t doubt that he could defeat the Kumo Jinchuriki.

Considering that she had found several signs that the area had been watched by Kumo shinobi likely assigned to keep tabs on Killer Bee, but those shinobi were gone. She believed there was a real possibility that Akatsuki had captured another jinchuriki. This prompted her to think, “If Akatsuki has captured him then they will need a place to perform the sealing. With their forces so weakened it will likely take a considerable amount of time. The lack of a Kumo presence means there may be shinobi in pursuit as well as some heading to their village to report the matter. Akatsuki will likely need a location where they will not be disturbed but with Konan’s having been revealed to be no longer loyal to them. They’ll have to assume such locations they already had prepared have been compromised.”

Haku frowned as she wondered where Akatsuki would take their prize. She knew Tobi could have simply teleported them to the location making it impossible to track, but she would search around the Valley just in case. She suspected though that any tracks she did find would head south as she had no doubt that the Raikage would turn Lightning Country upside down to find the man he considered a brother. She paused in her retreat from the Valley as she considered that it was a real possibility that Akatsuki would bring their prize into Fire Country. She knew that despite the better relations the two villages had as of late, Kumo would have to be careful not to rashly send its forces into the country that housed the Leaf Village. But she knew if there was one trait that some may consider a weakness of the Raikage it was his temper and the rash actions he sometimes took when angry. She figured that Akatsuki was hoping that the Raikage would be foolish enough to send his forces streaming into Konoha in order to put the Leaf Village in a position where they would need to run interference for the group as they sealed the Eight Tails.

Confident that her theory had merit she began heading south while trying to come up with locations that Akatsuki would use to seal the beast in Fire Country. But, a location that would also serve as blind spots for the Konoha-nin, since she figured that Akatsuki would also have to consider the possibility that while Konoha might stop any Kumo incursions into its territory. It would also dedicate resources to locate Killer Bee in the hopes of defusing the situation since if Kumo felt Konoha had aided Akatsuki to deny them their jinchuriki. There was little doubt in her mind it could lead to a new round of conflicts.

*****************************

Naruto stepped into the cave he had left Konan in and felt a swirl of emotions as he saw her kneeling besides the two paper wrapped bodies of her friends. Two of the emotions he was feeling was guilt and grief. The guilt was from how he had failed her and broken his promise to save Nagato from himself. The grief was also a result of the guilt. But, he furthermore attributed it to the fact that he was the cause of the sadness that he was sure would still be written on her face.

His lover’s back was facing him, but she must have known where his thoughts were at as she said, “It was not your fault. Nagato put you in a position where it needed to be done. I harbor no anger towards you.”

“Thank you,” Naruto said contritely, “But it doesn’t change the fact that I failed you.”

“No, it does not,” Konan said unemotionally in a way that made Naruto wince. Getting to her feet she approached him as she said, “You have failed to deliver on the promise you made to secure my services. Therefore, I still require compensation.”

“What would you ask of me?”

“You must promise me that you will not stray from the path of light,” Konan said as she came to a stop in front of Naruto. Holding up her arm a bouquet of paper flowers appeared from the sleeve of her robe as she continued, “Swear this to me on these flowers that will never wilt.”

“That would appear to be a lifelong promise. One that will require you to keep a sharp eye on me.” Konan nodded her head so Naruto reached up and wrapped his hands around the one she was holding the flowers with as he replied, “I promise that together we will make the world the place that both Pervy Sage, and Nagato could be satisfied with.”

Konan stared into the blue eyes of Naruto which shone as brightly as she imagined the future that he’d build would. She felt an urge to kiss the young man but before it became overpowering pulled her hand free as she left the flowers in his. Turning away she could fell the frown that appeared on his face, but she refused to look since she didn’t wish to grow closer to him as there was still a task she must perform. Something she wasn’t sure she would survive.

She was about to levitate her friends’ bodies to return to Ame, but was stopped as Naruto asked, “Must you return so soon?”

Konan nodded as she replied, “With Nagato gone, Rain may soon erupt into chaos. I must return to ensure that order remains.”

“I understand, but before you go I need you to do something for me.” Konan looked over her shoulder with a questioning gaze prompting Naruto to say, “I need you to tell my village a story.”

****************************

“Tenten, where did all this youth come from,” Maito Gai shouted as to his great surprise both he and Lee were falling behind their kunoichi teammate as well as the temporarily assigned one, Anko. The latter of whom, sent him a dark look from over her shoulder as she had grown rather irritable at his eccentric behavior. He gulped heavily as he recalled her threat that if she heard him use the word youth in any way other than its defined meaning of referring to a young person he would awaken to find her snakes surrounding his bed.

Anko looked away as she figured she would let Gai’s slip slide since she knew both Tenten and her behaviors were probably disconcerting as they had been running at a blistering pace continuously since they had both sensed trouble in the Leaf Village. The clamor they felt via the foxmarks they wore appeared to have died down, but despite Naruto’s presence returning to the network that linked him and his lovers, both Tenten and she felt a feeling of foreboding upon what they would find. Anko’s eyes shifted to Tenten and she felt a frown threaten to appear tied to an emotion she didn’t want to think about. The feeling wasn’t centered on the kunoichi exactly, but on her place in the Harem. In all honesty Anko knew what the feeling was, but refused to name it as a form of denial.

But looking at Tenten, who had yet to respond to her teacher due to her concentrating on maintaining her speed as well as trying to gleam every hint she could on Naruto’s current status from the foxmark felt her ability to deny the emotion wane. She then felt a caressing sensation from the blond which was sent to all the women outside the village to assure them that he was okay. Anko noticed Tenten’s shoulders relax ever so slightly as a soft smile appeared on her lips as if she had been struck by a warm ray of light on a cloudy and muggy day.

Anko felt the emotion she wanted to keep buried double in intensity and could no longer deny that she was jealous of the kunoichi. But it wasn’t just her, but all of the ones whose chakra fell into the red category. She didn’t even need the Hyuuga Byakugan to know which women had made that jump either as it just showed on their faces when the blond was around. Anko attributed her jealousy to the fact that the women, whose chakras were red, had not only accepted their lives as harem members. But that they had been accepted by Naruto completely as well, meaning their quirks and the like. Tenten’s recent conversion to the red chakra club being a prime example, as Anko had heard that she been rather staunchly opposed to becoming a Harem member seeing as she had believed a strong kunoichi didn’t need a man to be happy. She had been less angry upon her finding out that Tsunade was also one of Naruto’s lovers, but that had led to a period where the Team Gai kunoichi would almost be more sexually attracted and aroused around the Hokage.

Still Naruto had taken it all with a calm and to Anko at the moment an infuriating smile, having no problem with sharing the kunoichi with his Sannin lover and even going as far as to arrange fulfilling her dream of becoming a student of Tsunade. But that had all changed after the two had enjoyed a date to commemorate Tenten’s two month anniversary since becoming his lover. She didn’t know all the details, but she did know that Naruto had in some way shown he accepted and loved Tenten, and in turn the kunoichi had come to return those feelings.

For Anko seeing another kunoichi shift to red, especially one that had joined after her was a painful reminder that her own felt like it had gone the opposite way. She still cherished Naruto for his reaching out to her when she had been lonely, but those feelings had cooled as a result of his rejecting the side of her that she had tried to show when his lovers were helping him recover his mojo after the Kanji incident. Anko knew it wasn’t exactly fair to say he rejected her as she had come on rather strong, not to mention considering that she had been a virgin before him, so couldn’t say she had any actual experience with the BDSM scene. Yet, she would be lying if she said that something about it didn’t get her excited, especially when considering she broke people for a living. Something she was extremely good at, and after incorporating some of what she had taken away from her rejection by Naruto had gotten only better. Her breaking of the genin Ryusui had just been a cherry on top of a month in which she had gotten the most people to spill their guts. It had also only fueled her appetite to actually explore such sexual practices as after each success she would often masturbate as she relived the cries for mercy or the look on their faces when she actually broke them.

She had hoped it was something they could share, but seeing Naruto’s gut reaction had shattered that dream, and as a result made her once more feel like an outsider. That wasn’t to say that Naruto didn’t try to make her feel important to him. He did that in spades and the sex was a great as it had ever been. But Anko felt like she couldn’t let that part of her show again and as such didn’t feel as if Naruto could care for the complete package. She still cared deeply for him, which is why she was jealous of the women that possessed the red chakra. Naruto had given her the warmth that she had craved, and she would always cherish him for that. But there was a part of her that Orochimaru had seen that had been enough for him to take her on as an apprentice and that was the part of her that had made Tsunade nervous when she had first proposed her own way of wanting Naruto to throw off the funk his encounter with Kanji had put him in. She had thought she rejected it when she refused to go with Orochimaru after receiving the curse mark. But it had never left her, and now it wanted the same thing that Anko had, acceptance. But, sadly wanted it in a way that Naruto apparently was unwilling to give.

Anko heard Tenten gasp which pulled her focus to the walls of the village which looked relatively intact except for holes that appeared to have been blasted through them from inside the village. From behind her, she heard Rock Lee ask, “Gai-sensei, what could have happened?”

“I do not know Lee. But it appears that Tenten and Anko’s women’s intuition must have sensed it.”

“More like we noticed all the birds flying away from the village’s direction,” Anko replied having noticed the signs as they approached, and figured she could use them as her and Tenten’s reason for the speedy return. Not that she figured she’d need it seeing as she figured Gai had been satisfied with his women’s intuition theory and Lee considered anything the his teacher said as scripture. “Anyhow, it appears we are too late to lend a hand,” the Special Jounin said not hearing the sounds of battle and spotting several chunin and genin stationed at the gate they were approaching.

They were quickly allowed to pass after learning that the official Akatsuki leader Pain was behind the damage done to the village. They were told to report to the Hokage in order to make their reports and learn what tasks they were to be assigned. Quickly heading to the village leader’s mansion they stopped as Gai shouted to his former student who was standing in front of a collapsed building, “Ha-ha, Neji, I knew that despite your attitude. A cowardly attack like this would not be enough to do you in. But it pleases me to receive confirmation of this.”

Neji turned towards his teacher and gave a curt nod as he replied not sure if he had been insulted for not being as hot-blooded as Gai tended to like, “I appreciate that…I think.”

“Neji, what is it you are doing?” Rock Lee asked, “Perhaps we can be of assistance.”

“There are sixty-three people trapped in a basement shelter under this building,” Neji answered turning back to his task as he activated the Byakugan. “I and the rest of my kin have been given the job of getting them out.”

“Right,” Gai said preparing to open the inner gates something his clone intended to do as well. “Leave it to us we’ll have them out before…”

Neji held up his hand to stop his teacher and teammate from doing anything rash as he said, “Thanks, but no thanks. If it was just a question of power then Naruto and that newcomer would have been enough. Unfortunately we had to do this in a slow and careful manner less we cause a further collapse and kill the people we are trying to save.”

“Roger,” Gai said giving his teammate a thumbs-up, “Then we’ll go see the Hokage to be assigned a task where our hot-blooded passion can be put to the most use.”

Neji nodded but instead of responding to Gai spoke to the person approaching behind them who he could see as a result of his bloodline ability. “Lady Hinata, I told you we could handle this. I know there are several places you much rather be.”

The recently returned Leaf-nin turned to see the kunoichi in question whose eyes were still puffy and red from the tears she had been shedding. “There are cousin… I just wasn’t able to do much good there.” Noticing Anko, Hinata approached her to say, “Kurenai-sensei…she needs someone right now…I tried to speak with her but she…she says she just wants to be alone.”

“W-what happened?” Anko asked concerned the distress Hinata was feeling in regards to her teacher being easy to hear.

****************************

“Poor thing, to lose both her child and lover,” a nurse said before closing the door after checking up on her.

Kurenai’s eyes snapped open as she had been pretending to sleep ever since she had asked Hinata to leave her alone. Partly it had been to force her student to leave, but also so she could escape the pity filled gazes of the people that knew why she was in the hospital. Despite being lightly injured herself she had undergone a surgery so had been assigned a room to recover and to make sure she didn’t develop an infection. But she could be moved at a moment’s notice if a more gravely injured person needed the room and the litany of monitoring equipment that remained unused were needed. Staring out the window she would almost prefer to be moved as it was in line with the Hokage monument and as a result of her failures as a mother and a wife, to her the normally watchful and parenting gaze of the Third Hokage had taken on one of disdain and accusatory.

She tried to turn away but the stone eyes simply continued to bore into her making her unable to. They also brought to light all the happy moments that she had experienced on her path to motherhood that had ended tragically short of completion. As well as the dreams for the future that had been dashed. Tears began to leak from her eyes as she recalled telling Asuma that she was pregnant and her giggling happily as his face took on a look of surprise causing his ever present cigarette to hang loosely from his wide open mouth. He had recovered quickly before smiling at her just as happily before surprising her by pulling a box from his jounin vest and proposing to her.

A huge sob racked her body as she recalled the quiet ceremony with just the two of them and the Hokage in attendance. She tried to stop the images from coming as she rubbed at her eyes with the palm of her hand to block the flow of tears, but only succeeded in making the memories clearer. She remembered arguing with Asuma about his filthy habit and how she had only been partial pleased when he had agreed to only smoke outside. Their teasing each other about what the gender of their child would be even though at that point in her pregnancy such a thing could not be determined by scientific means. As a result they had agreed to both learn it when the child joined them in the world.

Kurenai felt the grief and guilt that seemed to be her sole existence grow exponentially as she now knew that although the child wouldn't have been the son Asuma had hoped for, she had no doubt that he would have welcomed their daughter just as gladly. As the pain of that loss became too much to bear Kurenai flashed back to another disaster of the Leaf village and recalled her father’s hope that she at least live long enough to create a new light of life to inherit the Will of Fire. Having failed in the task and under what she felt was the now disproving glare of the Stone Third Hokage, Kurenai vowed to make amends.

Stepping from the bed, she moved to the window before leaping away to follow through on her decision. She knew it was perhaps a coward’s way out, but doubted it would create much of a stir as the village was already drowning in death

*****************************

Anko stepped into the room that she had been told had been assigned to Kurenai, but frowned upon seeing it empty. Stepping back out into the hall, she grabbed a nurse by the arm to ask, “Hey, isn’t this the room for Kurenai Yuhi?”

“It should be,” the nurse replied peeking into the room before shrugging her shoulders. Turning to Anko she explained, “She wasn’t that badly injured and may have been moved to make room for someone who was. I’m afraid with all the wounded, space is at a premium and people are being shifted about constantly.”

Anko frowned at the nurse’s response and attitude, however while mindful that the woman may have been dealing with the chaos for most of the day nonetheless said, “Well is there a way for you to go check.”

“Yes, but I assure you that she wasn’t…”

“Look just do it,” Anko snapped as she moved to the bed. Placing her hand on it she could feel the warmth of a body that had just recently left, and aware that not all wounds were physical leapt out of the open window. She landed on a pile of rubble that had once been a building and looked for some sign of her friend. She cursed, and wondered if perhaps she was overreacting, but something was screaming at her to find the woman.

Anko began to move towards the apartment building that she and Kurenai both called home hoping the red-eyed woman had simply decided to head to the familiar environment. As she raced to her home, she recalled the immediate aftermath of her return to the village after her time with Orochimaru in the Land of Sea. Anko recalled going to her teammates hoping they could help her make sense of her life. However, they had coldly rebuffed her treating her with the same sense of suspicion as she had been encountering from just about everyone minus the Third and Fourth Hokage. It really burned her to know that in reality her teammates had been the traitors with one of them being the Sensei of Kabuto’s team during the Chunin Exams that had preceded the Sound Invasion. Neither of whom Anko had seen since, but secretly hoped had been turned into some experiment by their sensei or his protégé.

Anko remembered how feeling depressed she had climbed on top of the Hokage monument as she shed the tears she had felt. “Stupid village,” she had remembered saying, “If they don’t want me they should have just left me wandering Sea Country.”

“But what about the people who would miss you,” a voice had called from behind her.

Anko turned to see Kurenai standing with a gentle smile. Anko frowned since she and the kunoichi hadn’t spent much time together in the academy as she had always been following Asuma Sarutobi around. Still she was the first person she had encountered since her return, besides the Hokage, whose eyes didn’t darken upon landing on her or hold hints of suspicions. Therefore despite her initial reaction being to tell the girl, who had climbed the Hokage monument to clear her head after an argument with her on again, off again boyfriend, to get lost she turned back to the village as she said, “Who exactly would that be? My own sensei discarded me and my teammates view me as being a possible traitor. It’s an opinion this whole stinking village seems to harbor as well. I’d lead the Anbu right to whatever hole Orochimaru is hiding in if I could remember.”

“I know,” Kurenai said her voice not holding any hint of deception. “Anyone willing to cry because of how strangers perceive her obviously loves her village a great deal.” Kurenai began to approach as she said, “It might be hard to swallow since you’ve done nothing wrong, but no matter how poorly people might think of you just stay the course and tomorrow will inevitably be better than today.”

Anko turned back to the red-eyed kunoichi and scoffed as she replied, “That’s easy for you to say. You don’t have everyone scrambling away from you like you carry the plague.”

“True,” Kurenai conceded before holding out her hand, “But it just made it easier for me to get to know you. We weren’t close in the academy, but I would really like to be your friend.”

Anko remembered staring at the outstretched hand as she had to fight back tears before she took it to introduce herself to the kunoichi, who returned the gesture. She skidded to a stop as she landed on a roof to face the opposite way in order to stare at the Hokage monument. She felt torn for a moment not sure which way to head, but her instincts told her that she wouldn’t find Kurenai at home so she took off to her new destination.

Anko reached the monument and began racing up the front of it using chakra. She was just about to reach the top as she ran up the Third’s face when Kurenai leapt off of it. The special jounin carried on going forward tackling Kurenai around the waist as her trajectory carried them both to land on top the Hokage’s head. Kurenai was obviously shocked at her suicide attempt being interrupted as she stared up at the woman straddling her. She couldn’t see Anko’s eyes due to how the kunoichi was holding her head so that her bangs covered them. Aware that she was caught but hoping that she could convince the kunoichi things weren’t as they appeared said, “Anko…”

Slap!

Anko stared down at her friend now her eyes showing every emotion under the sun, but the most prevalent was anger which caused her to say, “You selfish bitch…how could you? How could you even think of trying to off yourself at this spot of all places? The place we first became friends. The place where you told me to persevere no matter how bad things got.”

Kurenai grew angry at Anko lecturing her since to her ears it sounded like her friend was trying to compare their experiences. Trying to push Anko off of her she said harshly, “Don’t give me that! Are you honestly trying to compare your pining over Orochimaru to what I’ve lost?”

Anko felt shocked as a part of her wondered if that was what Kurenai really thought. But aware that she was just lashing out at the world that had hurt her, and that she was currently the only target available surprised Kurenai by pulling her into a hug. Gently she whispered, “I would never try to compare what I felt that day to what you are feeling now. But, this isn’t the way to handle it. Because although what we have suffered is worlds apart, the truth is you were right. Yet, if you don’t face the pain you are feeling now. Then you’ll never be able to know happiness again and it’ll only pass the pain to those who care for you and were unable to help you.”

Kurenai remained motionless for several heartbeats but then she buried herself into Anko’s chest as she began to pour out all the grief and anguish she felt. “It hurts so much,” the Jounin said between gut-wrenching sobs.

“I know,” Anko replied soothingly as she stroked her friend’s hair, “but although the pain may never go away. Tomorrow will inevitably be better than today.”

****************************

Naruko landed smoothly in the ruined second floor library of Kiyomi’s mansion. She let her Natural Energy fade having been in Sage Mode as she had wanted to ensure that she was not followed to the property. Her entrance though wasn’t unnoticed as two women were in the room making sure no looters tried to take advantage of the large hole in the wall. To her surprise the dark-skinned woman Yoruichi said, “So the prodigal daughter returns. Strangely I’m being filled with a sense of Déjà vu.”

Naruko looked at her in confusion until Yoruichi inclined her head towards the hole that she had used to make her entrance. Realizing the Bijuu was referring to the hole she had made in Kiyomi’s bedroom when she had escaped her cheeks colored slightly. “Um… about that…”

“Forget it,” Yoruichi said with a wave of her hand. Having noticed how a small smile had appeared on Naruko’s face at being called a daughter she asked, “Are you here to see mommy dearest?”

“S-she’s not my mom,” Naruko sputtered in denial.

“Well she certainly isn’t your father,” Yoruichi teased.

“Am I missing something here?” the other woman asked as she watched her sister tease the young woman that resembled Naruto.

“Not much,” Yoruichi said still amused, “Seven Chomei, allow me to introduce you to Naruko Uzumaki if what I’ve heard around the village is correct.”

“Uzumaki,” Seven said as she inspected the young woman more closely, “I suppose that would explain the looks.”

Yoruichi smiled at her brown-haired sister as she said, “Oh not by half, but I’ll fill you in later.” Directing her attention to Naruko, she dropped her teasing tone as she said, “Kiyomi is in the basement playing with her current project.”

Naruko looked at Yoruichi in confusion, but moved deeper into the mansion heading to the basement as instructed. Finding the Bijuu channeling chakra into an orange haired woman and having heard from Naruto about Kiyomi’s recent tampering with people minds she said, “So this is what she meant by project.”

Kiyomi sighed in annoyance hearing the disproving tone in Naruko’s voice. Turning to face the woman she said, “Is there something I can do for you?”

Naruko frowned at the response since her purpose in coming was to actually thank the Bijuu. However she refused to do so now considering the borderline hostile welcome she had received so she instead said, “I just wanted to catch a glimpse of your latest creations. Naruto was quite disappointed in your recent venture into mind-fucking people.” Naruko felt a measure of satisfaction upon seeing Kiyomi stiffen in reaction to her mentioning their shared lover’s disapproval of the way she had handled the Taki-nin. To her surprise though, that satisfaction quickly morphed into guilt since she had originally come to thank the woman not taunt her with her recent relationship troubles.

Kiyomi gaze hardened as she replied, “A rather convenient position for you both to take considering that the two of you seem to be enjoying the body I gave to you. Are you shedding any tears for the man whose mind I wiped clean so you could be granted a physical existence?” Naruko was about to remind Kiyomi that the person whose existence had been wiped out so she could be given a body was going to rape one of Naruto’s lovers, but was beat to it by the Bijuu who said, “Before you try to regale me with the wickedness of what he was going to do, let me remind you those women were my enemies at the time. Furthermore, they had betrayed Mikoto to Akame for their own benefit, and that is the least of the crimes I would charge them with. Even should they be trapped inside their own bodies its little more than being locked in a prison made of flesh rather than stone.”

Naruko could see the Bijuu’s point although she knew Naruto didn’t see things in the same light. But, Naruko recalled that perhaps one of the crimes that Kiyomi would consider most condemning was that the three women had no qualms about killing a helpless academy student that had just so happened to house her. Considering the Bijuu had likely felt helpless to defend herself as Naruto had yet to tap into her power, Naruko felt that Kiyomi simply considered the role reversal divine payback.

Able to ever so much appreciate Kiyomi’s view point she said, “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to come her to start a fight. I wanted to thank you. You gave me the precious gift of life. Thank you.”

Kiyomi’s gaze softened as she smiled ever so slightly before replying, “You’re welcome. I’m glad you found a path that suits you.”

Naruko beamed happily the Bijuu’s words making her feel like a daughter that had made her mother proud. The comparison was further articulated aloud as a new voice joined the conversation, “You also gave her life. Does that make you her mother?”

Kiyomi was a little startled by Sage’s joining the conversation since the woman tended to remain silent unless spoken to directly. Her voice sounded slightly robotic due to her monotone way of talking. Turning to face the former Animal Path since she doubted Sage would be able to understand the reason her face was coloring she answered, “In all honesty I never considered it. I suppose depending on how one looks at it one could draw such a conclusion. But…”

Kiyomi was again startled as she was hugged from behind by Naruko, who said, “I wouldn’t be opposed to people drawing that conclusion.” Kiyomi looked down at the arms linked around her stomach and recalled the motherly feeling she had felt when she had absorbed the Chakra Entity that would become Naruko having already decided to find a way to give life to her creation.

Those feelings returned full force as she turned to face Naruko and staring into the Sage’s blue eyes that while were the same color as her lover’s shone with a different light said, “I wouldn’t be opposed to such an arrangement either.”

The Bijuu had a difficult time keeping her eyes dry when Naruko placed her head against the red-head’s chest as she tightened the hug while saying, “Mom!” Kiyomi wrapped her arms around her daughter gently as she basked in the moment. Both women became aware that they were being watched so Naruko pulled away to stare at the blankly watching Sage. Approaching the orange-haired woman, Naruko said, “I guess that makes us sisters.”

“Sisters,” Sage repeated emotionlessly.

She directed her gaze to Kiyomi who answered the questioning look, “If that is something you want, Sage.”

Sage looked at the happily smiling Naruko before nodding her acceptance, “Sisters.” She was a little uncomfortable by Naruko’s response which was to hug her tightly, but she didn’t find it disturbingly so.

Naruko stepped back since Sage hadn’t hugged her back so questioned, “What were you doing to her? Adjusting her personality or something?”

“Or something,” Kiyomi replied. “I want Sage to develop at her own pace, much as you did. But she…I mean your sister… will play an important role in freeing my siblings.”

“How?”

“Go ahead and show her, Sage,” Kiyomi instructed.

Sage closed her eyes for several seconds and when she opened them the Rinnegan had replaced her brown ones. Naruko having just fought a bunch of people wielding the ocular jutsu stepped back in surprise. Naruko looked back at her mother, who seeing her questioning gaze explained, “After the battle I had asked Konan if I could have Nagato’s eyes. She refused claiming that as Nagato had awakened them, she couldn’t in good consciousness just hand them over.”

“I guess I can understand that,” Naruko said still staring at Sage’s eyes.

“It was a half-truth if not an outright lie,” Kiyomi said crossing her arms into the sleeves of her kimono. Naruko turned to face her prompting the Bijuu to explain, “I have little doubt that Konan meant what she said about wanting her friend to rest in peace whole. But I believe she is as aware as I am about how valuable the Rinnegan is to Akatsuki’s plot. With the public leader of Akatsuki dead it will be time for the one in the shadows to take the stage.”

“You mean Tobi,” Naruko said her tone making it a statement rather than a question.

“Yes, but if he is going to use the Gedo Mazo statue he is going to need the Rinnegan.”

“Use it how?” Naruko said confused, “I mean I thought it was just a means of storing the Bijuu.”

“Oh it is far more than that,” Kiyomi said. “I’ve been studying all that I could about my father’s battle against the Juubi. After he became the First Jinchuriki, he lived many hundreds of years after sealing its chakra into himself and placing its body into the moon. But he always lived with the fear that should he die unexpectedly, the Juubi would escape to once more menace the world.”

“That’s when he decided to create you, and the other Bijuu,” Naruko stated.

“Exactly,” Kiyomi said proudly, “He had already extracted the Juubi’s chakra but as it was knew that once he died it would reform and find a way to free its body. Therefore, he divided its chakra into nine new beings and lived his remaining years with us. The reason we could be sealed into people to make jinchuriki was because we lacked a physical existence.”

Sage interjected herself into the conversation by saying, “You are therefore of the belief that the Gedo Mazo is in fact the sealed husk of the Ten-Tails.”

“Precisely,” Kiyomi replied, “It should have been impossible for anyone without the Rinnegan to break the seal. When I questioned Konan about it she said that Nagato summoned it when Hanzo and Root captured her to ambush Nagato and their friend Yahiko.”

“Well since Pain had awoken the Rinnegan that seems plausible,” Naruko said noticing that Kiyomi gave her an appraising look due to her referring to Nagato as Pain. The moment passed, but although Naruko was pleased Naruto had avenged their teacher. She would be the first to admit that she thought of Pain as an inhuman monster so was unwilling to call him by his name.

Kiyomi didn’t seem inclined to question her recently minted daughter on her decision. Instead she said, “Although Nagato may have had the Rinnegan. I believe it was the person that gave it to him, who actually awakened those eyes and summoned the Gedo Mazo back to earth.”

“Huh?!” Naruko exclaimed with open mouth surprise.

Explaining the Fox Bijuu said, “Although she wouldn’t let me take the eyes, she did let me examine them. But upon my examination I noticed that even in death they hadn’t faded.”

Naruko shrugged as she suggested, “Maybe they’re always there like the Byakugan.”

“No,” Kiyomi replied with a shake of her head, “My father’s dojutsu wasn’t always active like that. Instead, I believe someone transplanted them like with Kakashi’s Sharingan. I questioned Konan about the circumstances under which Nagato awakened them. From that I hypothesized that the Rinnegan were implanted in him.”

“What? How? I think he would know if that happened.”

“I wouldn’t be so sure,” Kiyomi said confident her theory was correct. “Perhaps Kakashi was a bad example. But in my research, I’ve uncovered instances where Ocular jutsu have been shared between individuals without surgery. For example there is a tale of a pair of Uchiha brothers that lived before even Madara. One had amazing powers and had even awakened the Mangekyō Sharingan. The other not so much, yet from overusing his eyes the light began to fade from them. Unable to fight at his peak anymore and aware that they were going to lose against their hated rivals the Senju, they devised a means to achieve if not victory, at least cripple their opponents. On the morning of the fated battle, the more notorious brother headed out to fight with their enemies. As expected they were crushed. The weaker brother sent word to the Senju that he wished to meet with the leader as he wished to discuss terms of their surrender. The Senju unafraid of the weaker brother allowed him to enter their camp where upon setting eyes upon the leader’s face his Sharingan morphed into the Mangekyō Sharingan and he used an ocular jutsu his brother was known for the black fire of Amaterasu.”

“Maybe he awakened the ability himself,” Naruko suggested.

“That is a possibility,” Kiyomi replied, “It was a very old legend. But, it suggests the likelihood such a means existed. The Legend also claimed that the older brother entered the battle that day wearing a cloth around his eyes which to me suggested he wanted to hide the fact he no longer possessed the Sharingan or likely its advanced form. But Nagato’s jutsu the Six Paths of Pain also proves that it is possible. You see by channeling his chakra into his Paths, he was able to stimulate a mutation that would allow the Rinnegan to appear. The reason I had asked Konan to let me transplant the eyes was to both deny Tobi them, but also because I couldn’t be sure that without Nagato’s chakra I would be able to duplicate the Rinnegan. Fortunately enough cells existed in Sage’s eyes that I could cultivate them to give her a fully functional Rinnegan. The fact that she can deactivate them also leads me to believe that she achieved a true awakening as opposed to what Nagato had.”

“Why would someone give Nagato such a powerful jutsu though?”

“A good question,” Kiyomi replied, “I believe the answer lies with the Broker that had Rin kidnapped. I’ve tried to learn what I can about this Tobi, and Konan has proven to be a good source. You might not be aware of this, but he original approached Akatsuki to join forces shortly after Rin went missing. He claimed to be Madara Uchiha but was rebuffed by Yahiko. Konan recalls that Tobi told Nagato that there was so much more that he could do with his Rinnegan.”

“Considering the devastation Nagato visited upon the Leaf Village it would appear to be an accurate statement,” Sage said in her monotone way of speaking.

“Very true,” Kiyomi said, “But when he approached them it was with a man named Zetsu, who although Konan claimed at that time was black and white, is still a being that we believe aided in Rin’s abduction.”

“Okay, I can buy that, but what does Rin’s abduction have to do with Tobi or the Rinnegan.”

“We know that the white Zetsu worked for this Broker character so it’s safe to assume the black and white one would also. We also know as a result that it appears the Broker had an interest in, Nagato. Providing the route that Kakashi and Rin were traveling was the collateral that Danzou supplied to the Broker to arrange an alliance with Hanzo. An alliance that soon fell apart, after they suffered a crushing defeat at the hands of Akatsuki, when Hanzo tried to eliminate them. Yet, it was an ambush that cost Yahiko, his life the one obstacle standing in Tobi’s way of getting near Nagato and his Rinnegan.”

Naruko eye grew wide as she realized, “You’re saying that…”

“All these events are tied together,” Kiyomi said with a brisk nod, “What we are currently seeing is the master plan of someone that has been steadily progressing towards his goal over the course of decades. Each move by itself is difficult to see because in the beginning it could be months or even years before the next one was made. Also, due to the separation caused by the Five Village system each Shinobi village might only be affected by a certain portion of the plan making seeing the plot even harder. It’s only because of Naruto’s ambition and his bringing in outside perspectives that we are beginning to see these seemingly random events for what they truly are. It’s also because the plan is moving into its final phase that we’re even aware of the plot now.”

“If that’s the case maybe we should have Naruto try and convince Konan to let us safeguard Pain’s Rinnegan,” Naruko proposed frowning as her mother shook her head.

“Even if Naruto were to ask, Konan would still refuse.”

“Why?”

“Because, a trap needs bait in order to lure in its prey.” Her daughter gave her a look that conveyed she didn’t understand what was being suggested so Kiyomi explained, “I believe that Konan has come to the same conclusion that I have. Tobi or the person he is working for manipulated events so that Yahiko would be killed leading both Nagato and her to accept his ideal of peace. She also views Tobi as the greatest threat to Naruto’s dream, and is aware that she now possesses something he needs if he is going to control the Gedo Mazo statue, or the Juubi should it be resurrected. I believe she intends to confront him alone in order to kill him.”

Naruko looked down wondering what the blue-haired woman’s odds of success would be. Not liking them, she said, “What do we do?”

“I believe if Konan’s plan is transparent to me, it will be to Naruto as well. I suppose we should simply follow his lead.”

Naruko nodded, but decided to inform her lover just in case.

*****************************

Naruto stared up at the ceiling of the Den in what was his true master bedroom. He looked at the woman lying next to him as she snuggled deeper into his chest. He ran his hand up and down her back reassuringly causing her to settle down as she slipped back into restful slumber. Searching her face he could still see the evidence of the tears she had shed upon hearing of her sensei’s apparent attempt to end her life.

Tearing his gaze away from Hinata’s face he was pleased to see that she appeared more relaxed now as she had blamed herself for leaving Kurenai alone. Naruto had reassured her that if not for her informing Anko things would have had a very different turn. Furthermore, it had appeared Anko had been the perfect person to send. Still, Naruto’s heart went out to the Jounin-sensei as he felt partially responsible for the suffering she was now enduring. He knew if he gave voice to it, Kurenai and just about everyone that knew him would tell him that he was being foolish. But it was his existence that had brought Pain to the village; his mind began to briefly turn down the path of wondering if there was something else he could have done. But just as quickly he abandoned such thoughts; it was especially easy to do since he knew that without undergoing the Sage training he would not have been able to protect those dear to him.

The door to his bedroom opened and although he knew who it was via her foxmark. He was unable to deny himself the sight of her, again he looked away from the ceiling. He smiled gently as Ino entered wearing just a transparent purple nightie. Although, it didn’t leave much to the imagination to begin with upon reaching the foot of the bed, she pulled it from her shoulders and let it slip to the floor. Climbing atop the bed she crawled on all fours to him where upon reaching him she stared into her lover’s eyes before kissing him and then whispering, “You should be getting some sleep.”

Naruto couldn’t deny that he was tired, but countered, “The same could be said for you.” He then created a shadow clone, that henged itself to look like the kunoichi before it Hiraishined to her room in case someone came looking for her.

Ino smiled, as she joined both him and Hinata under the covers where pressing her nude frame against his, she replied, “I had a great nap after you helped me fall asleep.” Ino smiled as she added, “I was hoping I could return the favor,” it faded though as she stared at Hinata, “but I can see you’re helping someone else.”

Naruto suspected Ino’s other reason was for him to help her forget her own pain for a while as well. “I’m sorry about Asuma.”

He felt his lover stiffen as the happy exterior she had put into place cracked. Naruto met her eyes and watched as they grew watery so he reached up to pull her head into his chest where she began to cry over the loss of her sensei. Giving voice to some of what she was feeling she said, “I-it just happened so fast. I…I don’t know…I just feel like…like there should have been some epic battle or (sob) …something… (sob)…not just him standing there one moment and the next…” Ino trailed off and in the pregnant pause Naruto wanted to say something to make her pain go away. But his words failed him as he felt anything he could come up with would just reek of hollow platitudes one tended to find in a store bought card. “They found his body tossed away like a piece of trash…I…I can’t forgive him for this Naruto. What…what do I do with this hatred that I feel towards him?”

Ino had pulled her head from his chest to stare into his eyes as she almost pleaded with him for an answer. Although he had his own answer, he didn’t know how well it would translate to others as he said, “There is no magic cure for hate, or easy way to get rid of it. In the end all we can do is endure it, and do what we can to stop ourselves from spreading it. I…I haven’t forgive Nagato for killing Jiraiya and I hate him all the more for the suffering he has inflicted on the village. But I have to endure that hatred so that it dies with Nagato. There’ll be those that demand we seek retribution against all of Ame now, but if we do that Tobi wins. More and more people will fall into hatred who will then seek out others to hurt so they can understand the pain they are feeling and before we know it, we’ll be at each other’s throats.” Cupping her face lovingly he said, “So please try to endure it, but if you can’t pass it on to me. I promise to endure it for you.”

Ino brought her hand up and placed it over his. Closing her eyes she basked in the warmth that he admitted against her cheek but then pulled away to move her face close to his. With her lips just brushing his, she whispered, “Not for…with me.” She then kissed him passionately, but let it end before things progressed too far and they woke Hinata. Ino then laid her head against his chest so she could listen to his steady heartbeat and let it lull her to sleep.

Naruto was pleased as Ino’s rhythmic breathing joined Hinata’s. Naruto tore his gaze away from his lovers peaceful faces to one more stare at the ceiling. From the warmth now coating him on both sides he felt himself also begin to slip into the much desired embrace of sleep. But able to feel Mabui closing with the village, as well as Yugito’s presence moving hurriedly all over Lightning Country feared something else of importance had happened that he would need to deal with. Before closing his eyes he wondered if it was tied to Haku’s presence in their country. Of the opinion that sleep was going to be in short supply soon, he didn’t fight against it any longer and let his lovers’ comforting presence lure him into the land of dreams.

*****************************

Konan stood in at the main assembly hall at the Konoha shinobi academy and as it filled to capacity of a few hundred people. Normally used for when all the classes were called together for an important lecture or demonstration, it now would be the venue in which Konan would try to do her part to stop the spread of hate that Nagato had set in motion. She knew it wouldn’t be easy due to her feeling the malice being directed her way although it wasn’t so much focused on her, but the Akatsuki robes that she wore.

She knew it was a controversial choice, but Akatsuki had been Yahiko’s creation. Now that she was the only original member left she intended to return it to the noble purpose he had intended. She was surprised by the large turnout, but as Naruto entered last and took up a position at the back of the auditorium next to Naruko, she guessed she shouldn’t have been since he had been the one to ask that people listen to what she had to say.

“Why the fuck are we here?” an Inuzuka asked directing his gaze back to Naruto “I don’t want to hear any of the garbage some Akatsuki member has to say. Does she think just saying sorry is going to be enough?”

“Kiba…”

“I’m not here to apologize,” Konan said before Naruto could say more.

Kiba turned towards her saying darkly, “What did you say?”

“Are you going to apologize for the wrongs that you’ve done against us?”

“We didn’t do anything to provoke this attack.” Standing Kiba continued, “This is bullshit…”

Konan carried on ignoring him, “You personally may have not. But there may be those present who have carried out attacks against my home Country. The people who killed my parents may also be present.” Kiba stopped in his tracks turning back towards Konan as she continued, “It was also this village that was responsible for the two great tragedies that resulted in my friend Nagato adopting his persona of Pain. It was during the Second Shinobi World War that the first tragedy happened. It was a war that was fought in our backyards while this village was isolated from it and could easily throw around words like peace. Sometimes however that violence wasn’t content to remain in our backyards and entered into our homes as was the case with Nagato. A pair of Konoha-nin had decided to ransack his home for supplies believing it to be abandoned. When they were startled by the civilians that called it home the shinobi reacted out of fear killing the adults, Nagato’s parents, before realizing the truth.”

Konan paused and could see that written on many of the younger people’s faces was a genuine surprise that their village could be responsible for something like what she had described. The older more experienced ones understood that in war such mistakes were a common occurrence as if that made it all right. Speaking to these people she said, “Those among us who have seen war’s true face can write such an event off as the horrors of war that happen far too often for our liking. It was an accident, they didn’t mean any harm. But does that lessen the pain of the child that watched it all happen? Is he then excused when with the Rinnegan that awakened as a result of the tragedy his eyes witnessed he in turn killed his parents’ killers? The answer to that is simply a matter of where one stands I suppose. I’m sure the men’s families would point out that it was an accident and they didn’t deserve death as a punishment. But Nagato didn’t even realize he had done it at the time and would only come to that realization later. But I know the pain and hatred created in that encounter would stay with Nagato. I’m also sure that the Konoha-nin’s families upon learning of their loved ones deaths would harbor a hatred for those of Ame.”

Konan again paused partially since she wasn’t used to talking so much as well as to read the crowd. She was pleased to see a few more people appeared to at least understand that while Nagato may not have been right in his attack of the village. Konoha was just as complicit in the hate infesting the Shinobi World as any of the other villages. “I found Nagato and a dog he had been traveling with near death and brought him back to the home I had made with another war orphan named Yahiko. Being an orphan in a small country like Rain was a hard life, but we managed to survive by stealing. The fighting was also reaching is zenith which is when we encountered the man that would become our sensei, Master Jiraiya. Once he realized that Nagato possessed the Rinnegan, I believe that Master Jiraiya saw in him a power that could save the Shinobi World from the hate it was swimming in. Also in time despite each of us having our own reasons for hating Konoha, we still found ourselves caring greatly for Master Jiraiya. So much so, that Yahiko ended up weeping like a baby when he left us three years later.”

Konan indicated her robes as she explained their meaning, “Although Jiraiya believed it would be Nagato who would find the elusive dream called peace. It was Yahiko that first gave that dream a name, Akatsuki. Our group made a name for itself quickly and soon those that shared our dream flocked to our banner. But we had become a threat to the power of Ame, Hanzo. Knowing or our desire for peace he came to us with the idea of brokering a peace between the main Shinobi villages that at this time were caught up in a Third Great Shinobi War. Naïve as we were we accepted, but when Nagato and Yahiko arrived at the place the meeting was to take place they learned that Hanzo had already made a deal with someone else. The person was Danzou of Root, who had provided his elite forces to eliminate us. But Hanzo was a cruel man and having taken me hostage told Nagato to either kill Yahiko, or they could both watch him kill me. I pleaded for them to run, but Yahiko choose a third option and impaled himself on the kunai that Hanzo had tossed Nagato to kill his friend.”

Konan was surprised as she fought back tears at the memory as she had long felt all the tears she had had been shed. She looked to the back of the room, and supposed that besides being her light, Naruto was also the one that had made her believe that it was okay to feel again. “That was the second great pain that Nagato experienced in his life. It was also the moment that Pain was born as Nagato lost faith in Jiraiya’s dream of peace. As Nagato slaughtered the Root and Ame forces present the hate that had been with us since childhood overcame us. Our dream became twisted and the organization that Yahiko founded became consumed by darkness. With Yahiko’s death we had lost our guiding light and thus our ideals were subsumed by someone else’s.”

Konan raised her hand to her heart as she said, “I have done horrible things since then as I believed I was working towards a lasting peace that would be achieved once we captured and sealed all the Bijuu. During a mission I had undertaken for Akatsuki, my paths crossed with Naruto’s and in him I say the light that Yahiko once shown with. He’s also taken on Master Jiraiya dream of a lasting peace, but despite the hardships he has had to face he never once lost his way. For the first time in forever, I found myself believing that peace could be found which was why I took up arms against Nagato during his attack on this village. Naruto asked me to speak here not to apologize for Nagato, but so that his home wouldn’t become the birth place of the next Pain.”

The room remained silent as Konan ended her tale. A measure of tension rose in the room as Ino stood from the front row to approach the stage. Coming face to face with the blue-haired woman nobody quite knew what to expect seeing as she had lost her teacher and her father had been gravely injured, but no one was more surprised than Konan when she wrapped her arms around her to say, “I’m sorry for your loss.”

Konan returned the gesture, but the moment was shattered as Chouji stood to shout, “Ino, how could you? Have you forgotten about Asuma-sensei or Shikaku already? Do you honestly feel sorry for the bastard that killed them?”

“Weren’t you listening Chouji?” Ino replied back just as hotly. “I refuse to let hatred becoming the driving force in my life. I can’t forgive Nagato for what he’s done. But don’t forget that despite what he has done to us. There is someone here just as sad at his passing as we are about the ones we lost. Instead, I’m going to follow Naruto’s example.”

“What do you mean?” Chouji asked calming slightly.

“I mean that it’s easy to get wrapped up in the emotions of everything that has happened. But it’s also convenient of us to forget that at some point in his life the person we all now call the Hero of the Leaf, might have wanted to watch the village burn and we would have been the cause of it.” Ino wasn’t surprised as many of the faces in the auditorium took on a look of shame and guilt, nor that they refused to turn to face the surprised looking young man she was referring too. “We all were responsible for treating him as an outcast with the exception of a single teacher and the Third Hokage. Because of the Third’s Law, it couldn’t have been easy for him to not know the reason all the adults gazed at him so coldly or why their children emulated them. That confusion at some point surely became anger which morphed into hate, but he never let it overcome him. He continued to follow his path and worked hard for our acceptance. Now that he has it, we shouldn’t forget that just through our non-actions we are capable of creating hatred, and if he wasn’t as strong of spirit as he is. Our hero could have taken a different path as well.”

Konan placed a hand on Ino’s shoulder as she said, “Konoha does indeed have a great hero who has inherited the Will of Fire that Master Jiraiya so fondly spoke of. It is for that reason that I pledge that Ame will stand with Konoha against the darkness which wishes to extinguish such a light from the world.”

Konan then scattered into sheets of paper which folded into butterflies that then flew out of the auditorium’s windows. Naruto was then swamped by the people of the village as they tried to both apologize for their past treatment of him as well as thank him for becoming the Leaf’s hero. Feeling embarrassed by the attention, he nevertheless received it happily. But at the same time was worried that despite Konan’s pledge to face the darkness with Konoha, she intended to square off against the personification of it by herself.

*****************************

Mabui felt a measure of relief as she felt her approach towards Naruto’s village nearing its end as her emotions had been rather frayed by her sensing the attack that had taken place. The news that it appeared that Killer Bee had been abducted by the combined attack of Sasuke Uchiha and Kisame Hoshigaki had only made it worse. As a result the Raikage had dispatched Team Samui to the Hidden Leaf to learn all they could about Sasuke as well as to demand a Five Kage meeting.

Mabui had likely surprised her leader though when she requested that she accompany the group. He had nearly refused, but by mentioning that Naruto had been on the same team as Sasuke and she felt they had developed a rather good rapport during his time in Hidden Cloud that she might be able to use for information he had relented. Still, the trip had frayed her already stretched emotions due to the antics of two of her traveling companions. Listening to Karui and her teammate Omoi argue about some ridiculous theory that a rock she had thrown at him might level the Leaf village. Rolling her eyes at the two, she leaned over to whisper to Samui, “I feel sorry for you.”

Samui didn’t respond with words as she just gave a quick nod of her head. Yet, when the Leaf Village appeared before them and Mabui saw that damage that had been done, she didn’t find the routine nearly as funny when Omoi suggested he had been right. In a rare display of anger she snapped, “You two shut-up.”

They looked at her in surprise as she began walking quicker towards the gate, which as soon as the guards on duty noticed their approach instantly reached for their weapons. Her traveling companions followed suit, but Mabui held her arm out telling them to relax as she said, “My name as Mabui from Hidden Cloud and we are here to request an audience with the Hokage.”

The Leaf shinobi watched her warily, but they relaxed as a voice called, “Mabui, you should have told me you were coming. We would have cleaned up the place.” Mabui let the smile she felt appear at receiving visual confirmation her lover was okay. Probably already aware that her appearance signified trouble he let his jovial tone drop as he asked, “Is everything alright?”

“I’m afraid not Naruto,” the Raikage’s assistant replied. “I’m afraid though that my orders are to deliver my message directly to the Hokage.”

“Okay, follow me,” Naruto said guiding Team Samui and her to the Hokage mansion. As they walked through the destroyed village a loud shout of, “Shannero,” pieced the air followed by the ground shaking.

“What’s that, an earthquake, an aftershock? Is that what happened to this place?” Karui questioned a part of her still wondering if the rock she had thrown had caused the destruction she was seeing.

“No, that’s my teammate. She’s breaking up some of the larger chunks of rubble so that it can be cleared away,” Naruto answered.

“Then what did happen?” Samui asked.

“We were attacked by Akatsuki several days ago,” Naruto replied. “We managed to defeat its apparent leader, but as you can see suffered pretty heavily for it.”

Mabui could see Samui filing away Naruto’s mentioning of Pain being Akatsuki’s supposed leader. She knew her lover had likely let that detail slip on purpose so as to convince the Raikage that the threat represented by the Organizations members was in no way diminished by Pain’s defeat.

Reaching the Hokage’s office Naruto opened the door for Mabui, who directed the team accompanying her to remain outside. Naruto was about to close the door, but Tsunade called out, “Naruto, please join us.” Quickly stepping into the room, he closed the door behind him and took a position behind Tsunade and next to Shizune, as she said, “Alright so what does the Raikage want?”

Mabui handed Tsunade a letter written by the Raikage. Tsunade began to read it and her face almost immediately took on a visage of worry. Saving their lover the trouble of having to read it Mabui said, “Sasuke Uchiha, has been named as an accomplice in an attack conducted against the jinchuriki of the Eight-tails and Raikage’s combo partner Killer Bee. He demands that the Leaf immediately provides us with all information relevant to Sasuke Uchiha. Also, he demands that the Leaf makes its position on him clear by issuing a kill on sight order thus marking him as a missing-nin.”

All the women present felt their hearts go out to their lover as he asked, “H-how sure are you Sasuke was involved?”

“He was spotted wearing the Akatsuki cloak. Furthermore, he and the team he is traveling with assaulted several Kumo shinobi to learn where Bee was training at.” Mabui stated her evidence unemotionally, but her tone saddened as she added, “After it appeared that Bee had been captured as a result of Kisame’s appearance, the team assigned to watching over Bee tracked them down. We believe that Kisame killed several due to the unique wounds his blade Samehada leaves, but a shinobi named Jay appears to have been killed via a genjutsu.”

Mabui let the silence hang in the air. She knew the method that Jay had been killed didn’t necessarily mean the culprit was Sasuke. But she felt the evidence did lend itself to the theory. Finally after several moments, Tsunade said, “Shizune, please attend to the Cloud-nin outside and take them to the archives. Make available to them any and all information pertaining to Sasuke.”

“Yes, Tsunade,” Shizune said sending an apologetic smile to Naruto.

Standing once Shizune had left the office, Tsunade said, “As to the Raikage’s second requests let’s discuss that someplace else.” Naruto got the hint and Hiraishined his lovers to the Den before grabbing Ino who telepathically summoned the other kunoichi that could get free.

*****************************

Mikoto was surprised to have been invited to the apparent gathering of Naruto’s lovers by Kiyomi. Naturally though, the Bijuu made sure to inform her that the request was made by Naruto. Mikoto was wearing Anbu armor which Yuugao had supplied to her so she could return the set she had taken from a corpse during the battle. She remained standing away from the large table the women were sitting at, as if to drive in the point she didn’t necessarily consider herself one of them. She noticed that Naruto kept sending her pained looks, but when he had stood to approach her Tsunade had placed her hand on his arm. He sighed as he retook his seat. Tsunade then stood as she started the meeting, “It looks like those of us here are the only ones that could break away on such short notice. Let me then just cut to the chase since I’m sure most of you need to get back soon. As you may have heard Mabui was sent to the village with a Team Cloud-nin. Their purpose was to inform us that Sasuke Uchiha has aided in the capture of the jinchuriki Killer Bee and to demand that we mark him as a missing-nin.”

“What? You can’t!” Mikoto said pushing off from the wall she had been leaning against. She noticed it was an opinion that was in quite the minority. She also noticed that Kiyomi seemed rather pleased by the demand.

Still quite a few faces shifted into surprise when Sakura said, “Why can’t we? He’s abandoned the village, and it was only because of Naruto’s efforts that he wasn’t named one already. Now, he not only has spit in the face of those efforts, but is actively aiding an organization that’s ultimate goal is to capture him and extract the Nine-tails. I for one don’t have a problem with it.”

Mikoto could see it was an opinion shared by all the women present. She also knew the politics of it as if they didn’t it would damage relations between Leaf and Cloud. Still as a mother she responded bitterly, “Typical, instead of trying to understand him, you all would opt for the quick disposal.”

“No hold on a minute…” Tsunade began.

But she was silenced by a scoff from Sakura. When the Uchiha directed her gaze to the kunoichi she replied, “Look you, I can’t imagine what you must be feeling right now. But, there was a time when my whole world revolved around Sasuke, so much in fact when he decided to abandon the village…I pleaded with him to take me. A part of me wants to believe that he didn’t because he knew the path he was taking was shrouded in darkness. Truthfully though I think it’s just because he felt I would slow him down.”

“What’s your point?” Mikoto asked angrily.

“My point is that the Sasuke of Team Seven is gone. He has been consumed by the darkness of his revenge. When I caught up to him, he had no problem raising his sword against me and the rest of his comrades. Now, he’s actively aiding a group hoping to kill Naruto, a person you claimed you wanted to protect. You probably think I’m simply acting selfishly to protect the man I love…and you’d be right. But I’m also not willing to hold onto a dream of Team Seven being reunited at the expense of the progress we have made with Kumo.”

Mikoto felt it was a cheap tactic of the pink-haired kunoichi to use Naruto’s safety in such a way. She didn’t want to see the young man in danger, but she also couldn’t choose to sit back silently as people decided to allow her son to be hunted down like a wild beast.

Yet, her attention was pulled to Naruto as he stood. Turning his focus to Tsunade he requested, “I’d like to go after Sasuke.”

“Forget it,” the Hokage said quickly, “The only people going after him will be the Anbu.”

“Tsunade, please,” the Jinchuriki pleaded, “Killer Bee may still be alive. According to what Naruko has told me, without the Rinnegan they can’t move the statue as effectively as they did before and it may be even harder to seal the Bijuu. This would mean that it is likely that Nagato was actually the one to move it to its current location and if so we have a chance to end this here and now.”

“Naruto raises a valid point,” Kiyomi said. “But I believe you are forgetting that Tobi may be able to simply teleport it to a location as well.”

“I considered that,” Naruto replied facing the Bijuu he once housed, “But if he could do it easily he wouldn’t have needed Nagato. Plus with their numbers so depleted it’ll take them a considerable amount of time to seal away the Eight-Tails. Plus…its likely Sasuke will be there if not close by.”

“Naruto…” Sakura said her voice filled with concern.

“Sakura, this is something I have to do. I have to stand before Sasuke myself, before I can just accept that he is beyond hope.”

“I’m going too then,” Mikoto said her voice making it clear it wasn’t a request.

Naruto nodded, before focusing on Tsunade. The Hokage sighed before relenting as she said, “Please don’t make me regret this. Assemble a team and good luck.”

Naruto cupped Tsunade’s face before walking away followed by Sakura. Mikoto donned the mask she had been given and decided to head to the main gate to await Naruto’s squad.

****************************

After exiting the building that housed the Den upon making sure the area was clear, Sakura caught up to her lover to say, “Dammit Naruto stop.”

“Sakura, you can’t talk me out of this,” Naruto replied. “I have to see this through.”

“Why you,” she said darting in front of him and holding his arms out. “Why are you so hung up on Sasuke? I’ve moved on, why can’t you?”

“Because he’s my friend,” Naruto stated, before moving to go around her.

Sakura though grabbed his arm from behind and he stopped as he could feel the fear and worry she was giving off. The emotions were clear in her voice as she said, “Naruto…you might see him as a friend. But if he does know the truth of the Massacre, then the only thing he’ll see you as is a representative of the Village.”

Naruto turned to face her and was about to reply but a sword was pointed at them. Both Leaf shinobi stopped to stare at the red-headed and dark skinned woman holding it who said, “Oh, don’t stop on our account. Your conversation was getting rather interesting” The pair directed their attention to her partner who watched on as he continued to suck on his lollipop. Thrusting her sword a little closer towards Naruto’s face she said, “Come on, we were scouring the village looking for some firsthand accounts about Sasuke. Sounds to me like you knew him pretty well.”

Naruto pulled free of Sakura’s grip as he said, “Look I don’t have time for this. I’m putting together a team to find Killer Bee and Sasuke. There still a chance he’s alive.”

Karui’s eyes widened as her teammate Omoi said excited, “Really, are you sure.”

“Sure, no,” Naruto replied, “But there is a chance that is getting smaller the longer we delay.”

“Fine,” Karui said putting her sword away, “But if you’re serious then tell us what you know about Sasuke.”

“I…I can’t.”

“What,” Karui said angrily charging Naruto as she pressed him back against some rubble using her forearm against his throat. “Look asshole put yourselves in our position Bee is our sensei. So unless you want me to beat the information out of you, you better tell me all you know about Sasuke.”

Karui found herself sudden thrown back at her partner as Sakura tossed her back using the back of her flak jacket. The two Kumo-nin prepared to attack her as she stepped between Naruto and them. Calmly she said with a pleasant smile, “There won’t be any need for violence. I’ll tell you everything you want to know.”

“That’s better, I’m glad…”

Sakura’s smile turned threatening as she said, “But if you ever raise you fists against Naruto again, I’ll turn you into paste.” Karui was about to tell the kunoichi to bring it, but when she punctuated her sentence by smashing her fist into the rubble at Naruto’s back and said rock exploded into dust the two Kumo-nin’s eyes went white in shock. Realizing the pink-haired woman was the source of the small earthquake they had felt earlier they both nodded quickly as she said pleasantly, “Now if you want your questions answered please follow me.”

Naruto was coughing due to the dust still coating him, but managed to call out, “Sakura…”

He was interrupted as she stopped to say, “Protect Sasuke if you wish. I’m going to protect you.”

*****************************

Naho waited excitedly by the gate of her summer home as it opened. She frowned as she heard an amused voice call out, “Honey, I’m home.” She stepped back a little in fright as a blue-skinned man stepped into the courtyard followed by Sasuke and his members of Taka. She was a little surprised that the Samurai guards present didn’t react to the dangerous looking man. Yet, despite her concern at the shark like man, she approached Sasuke happily as she said, “Lord Sasuke, you’re back.”

Sasuke’s response sounded indifferent as it usually did, but he responded, “Did you have any reason to suspect that I wouldn’t return.”

Naho shook her head no, and ignored the glare she received from the female member of Taka as she began walking besides the young man that she was infatuated with. Still a little fearful of the shark-like man especially as she noticed a dark-skinned man wrapped around the edge of the large sword he was holding over his shoulder she asked, “Lord Sasuke, who is your friend? And why is he carrying that man?”

“What’s with the game of twenty questions,” the female of Taka snapped not liking the younger girl’s proximity to her Sasuke.

She especially didn’t like it as he spoke up in her defense, “Take it easy, Tamaki. Don’t forget we are guests in her home.”

“Yes Sasuke,” Tamaki replied gloomily as he explained that Kisame was an ally and that they had found the ninja they were carrying prowling near her home. The granddaughter of Nekobaa ground her teeth as Suigetsu started sniggering behind her. But not wanting to lower her esteem in Sasuke’s eyes, she bore with it instead of lashing out. She had been quite happy when Sasuke returned to her grandmother’s shop after succeeding in his lifelong ambition of killing his brother. He had come to replenish his supplies, but she had further been shocked when Sasuke had asked her to fill the empty spot in his team aware that she was a rather skilled kunoichi in her own right due to her training with the ninja cats that lived with her. Despite her grandmother’s long standing alliance with the Uchiha clan, she had expressly forbid Tamaki from going. Sasuke, had made a pretense of accepting her grandmother’s decree, but had given her a look that he expected her to follow.

Tamaki had waited till nightfall and was pleased that Sasuke didn’t wait nearby demonstrating his confidence in her tracking ability. An ability that had proved instrumental in hunting down shinobi with the knowledge of where the Eight-Tails was located. Tamaki shivered as she recalled the fearsome battle that had almost been completely one sided till Kisame had bailed them out. Looking at Sasuke, she felt the fear that he had been killed as a result of having his chest ripped open by a lariat from the jinchuriki. Looking, at Jugo, she still felt a deep sense of gratitude towards him for repairing the damage. She was even forced to admit that Suigetsu had done his part. But it had all almost proved for naught when the Jinchuriki in full Bijuu mode had fired a small ball of chakra at them. Luckily that was when Kisame had made his appearance as he sliced it in half. The two halves had hit a mountain behind them causing it to explode as the jutsu unleashed its power.

Kisame had proven capable of fighting the jinchuriki as an equal as his attacks constantly drained more and more power. Finally when it had fired a second Beast Ball he had responded with a jutsu that not only absorbed the jutsu, but grew many times stronger as a result before slamming into the Bijuu. Nearing collapse it had tried to use one of its tails to crush Sasuke and the others, but the Uchiha had recovered enough to cut it off using his Chidori. The Tail and the beast collapsed into the water it had been fighting from. After the jinchuriki floated to the surface, Kisame had given them an insufferable grin as he tossed the jinchuriki’s body onto the edge of his blade as he said, “Well that was fun. Lucky for you, Madara sent me along to make sure you didn’t get in over your heads.”

Sasuke had without a word turned away from the Kirigakure missing-nin before leaping away prompting him to say, “Not so much as a thank you. Just like your brother.”

As they had returned to the Fire Country Noble’s home they had been attacked by the shinobi that Sasuke had put into a genjutsu so they could attack Bee undisturbed. Kisame had killed most of them, but one had challenged Sasuke directly and without even drawing his sword he had killed the man.

Watching Sasuke walk with such confidence of purpose, Tamaki knew she would never be able to go back to her old life. But she found that didn’t bother her, she was right where she wanted to be.

The group stopped as another man warped in front of them to say, “Well done Sasuke. I knew I could count on you.” Sasuke didn’t respond and Tamaki was surprised Kisame didn’t say anything. The man carried on regardless saying, “Thanks to your friend here we should be able to seal away this dangerous shinobi undisturbed. We’ll begin right away. I trust the Gedo Mazo statue has remained untouched.”

“Um yes Mister Tobi,” Naho answered, but Tamaki noticed that it was a nod of one of the samurai that Tobi was looking for.

“Excellent,” Tobi replied as if talking to the noble, “Kisame, I’ll leave it to you and Zetsu then.”

“Hold up,” Sasuke said, “What about your man going after the nine-tails?”

“Unfortunately it would appear that Pain has been defeated,” Tobi replied. Tamaki noticed a smirk appear on Sasuke’s face, which quickly faded. Tobi shrugged as he said, “No matter, it may have presented too much of a danger to our host to collect such dangers shinobi without the ability to quickly seal them.”

Naho spoke up as she said, “If it was to protect Lord Sasuke and to help clear his name I wouldn’t mind the risk.”

Tamaki wanted to puke at the girl trying to capture her Sasuke’s heart. Tobi responded amused, “How very noble. Still we must work with what we were given so it appears we’ll need to remain here a little longer than expected.”

Naho shot a look to Sasuke as she blushed while saying, “I don’t mind.”

“No, I didn’t think you would,” Tobi said, causing a small smile to appear on Tamaki’s face as everyone was in on the joke but the young noble.

****************************

Naruto leapt among the trees followed by the group he had assembled which consisted of Tenten, Karin, Ino, and Konohamaru. Mikoto was pulling up the rear pretending to be a member of the Anbu. Naruto’s gaze returned to Konohamaru, who had ambushed him at the gate demanding to be a part of whatever group he was putting together. The Jinchuriki had tried to deny he was up to anything, but the young Sarutobi wasn’t going to be fooled claiming he knew a group of Kumo-nin had entered the village. Believing their arrival signified trouble and that Naruto would be assigned to deal with it, Konohamaru wouldn’t accept no for an answer.

Still Naruto had been of the mind to tell him to forget it, but when his friendly rival had pleaded saying he needed to get stronger, the jinchuriki had relented. He figured a part of the reason also had to do with Konohamaru asking about how to deal with a friend’s betrayal. Having not been able to answer it before, Naruto believed that soon the answer would be presented to him. Whether he would like it or not remained to be seen.

Following just behind Mikoto, was Mabui and her fellow Kumo-nin. Having also been at the gate as Naruto’s team had gather, and hearing about Karin’s sensing abilities. Team Samui had been rather keen on tagging along seeing it as their best bet to locate their Sensei.

There had been one more person present and Naruto wasn’t surprised that she had decided not to go. Thinking of the encounter, he remembered Sakura coming up to him to say, “You don’t need to do this. Maybe it’s time for Sasuke to be the one to close the gap.” He was about to respond that he did, but she sighed sensing his determination before saying, “The last time we were here like this I had you promise to bring Sasuke back. That promise is invalid; instead I want you to promise me that no matter what you’ll come back.”

Naruto saw the concern and worry his lover and teammate was feeling about the potential confrontation. He wished he could take her in his arms and tell her everything would be fine, but instead said, “I promise.”

Sakura did smile, although it had appeared forced. Naruto was about to get his squad moving when a new voice shouted out to him. Pausing, the blond waited as the chunin slowly made his way towards them. Standing before the jinchuriki, Shikamaru said, “I haven’t thanked you for what you did for the village.”

“You don’t need to…”

“That’s where you’re wrong,” Shikamaru said cutting him off. “I’m not talking about your handling Pain. I’m talking about afterwards.” He had directed his gaze to Ino before focusing back on Naruto while explaining, “I’ve been thinking about what Ino said. She was right, I wanted to get revenge, but with Pain already dead. I found myself coming up with scenarios to take the fight to Ame so that I could completely eradicate his legacy. My dad and Asuma wouldn’t want that. They’d expect better from me so here.”

Shikamaru pushed a pouch into Naruto’s hands. Opening it he found a pair of the chakra blades that Asuma had used. “I can’t accept these,” Naruto said politely, “I’m sure Asuma-sensei would have preferred you use them.”

Shikamaru reached into his pouch and pulled out a pair as well as he said, “These were Asuma’s. Those were a gift he intended to give you. Asuma was pretty excited when you told him that you could use Wind Chakra and considering how rare people that can use it are, wanted to give you something besides just advice.”

“Thanks, Shikamaru.” Naruto said touched wishing he could thank Asuma.

“There’s another reason why I felt you should have those,” Shikamaru said his voice growing extremely serious. “Chouji was a part of the squad to apprehend Kabuto remember? He says Sasuke is beyond saving.” Naruto noticed Mikoto stiffen and he also wanted to refute Shikamaru’s statement but the Nara didn’t let him. “I know you don’t want to hear that. You probably believe nobody is beyond saving, but don’t forget that I led the squad to bring him back the first time. Under my command, three of my comrades came back seriously wounded. Outside, of Chouji you were the most seriously injured, and you were the one that engaged Sasuke directly. I don’t know how you can have faith in someone that tried to put you in the morgue not just the hospital, but I suppose that’s what makes you who you are. But one thing that I did learn from Chouji is that it appears as though Sasuke can channel his Chidori through his sword making it capable of cutting standard ninja tools. Those blades should insure you meet on an equal playing field.”

Naruto nodded as he put them in his pouch. He gave Sakura a quick smile before ordering his squad to move. Sakura waved at his retreating form as she shouted, “Naruto remember you promised to come back.”

Konohamaru having been surprised at the care Sakura was displaying commented, “Naruto if I didn’t know better I’d think she was interested in you. She must be jealous that you have a girlfriend now.” Thinking of his own situation he said, “Maybe I should get one.”

Naruto looked back with a smile as he replied, “You should. It’s done wonders for me.”

Naruto was pulled away from his thoughts as Karin said, “We’re closing on a group that has crossed the Hot Water Country border into the Land of Fire.” That statement was more for the benefit of those unaware of the connection to the woman they were closing with. Naruto noticed the members of Team Samui grow concerned as they correctly guessed it was possible they were moving to intercept a group of Kumo-nin searching for Bee. Despite the situation, they knew that if it was learned that Cloud Shinobi had violated the Land of Fire’s borders, it might damage the chance of the unknown team to locate Bee if they were on his trail. But, it would also likely lead to their own forcible expulsion from the Land of Fire, thus sealing Bee’s fate.

With that concern in mind, Samui asked, “Is Sasuke’s chakra with them?”

Naruto knew they couldn’t lie as the Kumo-nin had done their research and knew Karin had once been a member of Heibi, as such she would know Sasuke’s chakra. When she shook her head in the negative Naruto could sense Team Samui considering the various options open to them. The most troubling to him being that they would try to quickly eliminate Team Naruto in the hopes of linking up with the unknown and possible Kumo squad.

Naruto knew that there were a lot of ifs for Team Samui to choose that route since they couldn’t know if it was a group from Kumogakure, or that they were even on Bee trail. But aware that they cared deeply for their sensei, and therefore might not be thinking clearly, he decided to show them how unwise a decision it would be. Landing on a branch heavily, he crouched down and applied the Hiraishin seal before leaping away. He saw Omoi and Karui reaching for their blades as they waited to see if Samui or Mabui would give the signal. Waiting until they passed over the seal he had just placed he teleported behind them startling the pair.

“I think it would be best if you refrain from doing anything foolish,” Naruto said calmly but with an implied threat.

Still the two looked like they were considering trying something until Mabui said, “Stand down you two.”

Their hands moved away from their blades so Naruto once more took up his position behind Karin. The red-head held up a hand to make them stop as she said, “They may have a sensor with them as they are taking up an ambush formation. Hold up, they may recognize some of our chakras one of them is approaching. Naruto could sense another person closing with their group besides the one Karin called out, but kept quiet.

A moment later Yugito dropped down from some branches. Making a show of inspecting her fellow Kumo-nin she said, “It’s either especially bad luck to have run into the group of shinobi escorting the Raikage’s envoys back after crossing into Fire Country. Or, perhaps you were pursuing them for some reason.”

“How about a third option?” Naruto suggested. “We detected a Kumo-nin group entering our territory searching for their missing colleague and rather than have them waste time dodging our patrols thought it would be wise to join forces.”

Karui from behind Naruto shouted, “If that’s what you were planning you could have said something.”

Naruto looked over his shoulder with a smirk as he countered, “Well you could have asked.”

“Bastard,” the dark-skinned red-head muttered under her breath causing Naruto to chuckle.

Yugito smirked as well as she said, “That sounds like an acceptable proposal. Tell me, have you encountered another presence besides ours?

Naruto wasn’t quite sure what Yugito was asking, but believed it had to do with Haku, who was closing fast and had entered into Fire Country roughly a half hour before Yugito’s group. “I’m not sure what you mean. Obviously we haven’t found Sasuke yet.”

Yugito shook her head before explaining, “We’ve been following a trail of breadcrumbs being left for us by someone. They started where those that tried to rescue Bee were found and led us here. But since all the shinobi assigned to Bee as guards were killed, we don’t know who it is.”

“Yugito watch out there’s a presence nearby,” Shii shouted exposing his position as did the other Kumo-nin that had accompanied her as an Ice Mirror appeared between Naruto and the Kumo kunoichi.

Haku wearing a Hunter-nin mask, which didn’t have the standard Kirigakure markings on it, stepped from the mirror. Calmly she held up her hands, despite all the on guard shinobi, although only some of them were actually wary of her. “I was the one that left those markings,” Haku stated.

Darui having taken up a position next to Yugito asked, “Why would you do that?”

“Because I hired her to find Sasuke,” Naruto answered. “I figured I’d need the aid of someone not bound by borders so hired her. I guess it is beyond refute now that he was involved in the Eight Tails abduction.”

“I’m afraid so,” Haku said sadly, “I followed his trail to the Valley where the jinchuriki was staying and although he covered his tracks some. I was able to follow the shinobi guarding Lord Killer Bee to the abandoned shack where they were recovering from their fatigue. Unfortunately, I arrived too late to be of any use. They’ve been moving rather quickly since then leaving a rather noticeable trail, but I’m afraid I lost them due to my running into a patrol of Hotspring shinobi. I have been trying to pick-up the trail since then, but sadly have been unable to do so. The care with which they covered their tracks indicates that their hideout is nearby.”

Naruto had noticed that Konohamaru had been surprised by his admitting to hiring the apparent missing-nin. For a moment though a flash of understanding appeared, but it faded as he listened to Haku’s report. He then grimaced, at her statement that Sasuke must be hiding close by.

Wondering what was eating at his friend, he let it pass to ask Karin, “Any luck picking up Sasuke’s chakra signature?”

She closed her eyes and expanded her range to the maximum, but after several seconds of searching opened them to say, “He’s not within the range of my ability to detect.”

Naruto frowned, but noticing the sun was setting said, “I think it would be best if we camp here for the night.”

“What no way,” Karui said agitated at the idea of ending the search. “If the masked lady is right then Bee-sensei may be close.”

Yugito agreed with Naruto though as she said, “He very well may be. But I imagine both of our groups have been running ourselves ragged looking for him. If we are close, it wouldn’t do Bee any good to stumble onto his location, but be too worn out to do anything. Also, your mission is to escort Mabui back to Kumo with the information on Sasuke.” Directing her attention to the Raikage’s assistant she asked, “I trust they were forthcoming.”

“Yes, they also have provided us with all the information they have acquired about Akatsuki it was quite extensive. The Hokage has even expressed her interest in attending a Five Kage summit.”

“That good to hear,” Yugito said not having any doubts that would be the case, “but unfortunately the Summit isn’t going to happen. The Tsuchikage has flat out refused to attend. He says he has no reason to attend a conference with those that appear to have colluded with Akatsuki to rob them of their jinchuriki. The Mizukage claims there is no point in showing up if all five Kage won’t be there. An opinion that the Samurai of Iron Country appear to share.”

Naruto kept his disappointment to himself, as he said, “Well for now let’s worry about, the stuff that we can actually effect. How do you want to break up the watches?”
*****************************

Naruto stared up at the stars finding it difficult to sleep due to his feeling that Haku was right and Sasuke was nearby. He had taken the first shift with Yugito; currently Konohamaru was on guard with the Kumo shinobi Shii, a shift that would be ending relatively soon. In the morning, Team Samui minus Karui, who had bitched up a storm about remaining to search for her teacher, would return to Kumo with the information Konoha had shared. It would also be with the decree that Sasuke was to be marked as a missing-nin and could be dealt with accordingly.

Naruto wasn’t surprised Tsunade had relented to the Raikage’s demand, and truthfully wasn’t upset either. He would admit to being bothered by only learning about it after Darui had asked Mabui as the combined camp had eaten around a small campfire. But even then, it didn’t garner the type of reaction from him that he thought it would. He supposed though that he understood why Mabui had delayed heading back to Kumo as long as she had. If their group had caught up to Sasuke first and had handled the situation then there would have been no point in reporting the change in Sasuke’s legal status to her leader.

But, now that Sasuke’s being branded as a missing-nin was out in the open though, the Kumo-nin traveling with him could kill the Uchiha without any fear of a Konoha reprisal. Yet, he truly did understand the position the Raikage had put Tsunade in though as the opposite held true. Sasuke had been protected from the other village’s by Tsunade relenting to him and not marking his teammate as a missing-nin. Things had worked out okay because Orochimaru had kept a relatively low profile during the three years Naruto had been training with Jiraiya. “Hell,” Naruto thought with a hint of melancholy, “If the bastard had come back to the village after killing Orochimaru and Itachi then he’d probably be hailed as a hero.”

But now that his list of crimes weren’t just counted by Konoha, his being branded a missing-nin was necessary as a means to protect the village from being accused of being complicit in his actions. Naruto directed his gaze from the stars, to the shadows where the temporary mark placed on Mikoto told him the Uchiha was. He wondered what she was feeling, and what would happen should they encounter her son. Kiyomi had approached him and recommended he allow her to modify the mark they had placed on her to allow Naruto to incapacitate her. Feeling it was too close to using something like the Cage Bird Seal the Hyuuga used he had refused. A part of him regretted that decision now, especially as she might become a threat to his lovers and friends. But, he felt she deserved as much as anyone to make a choice on which path to walk.

Naruto turned his gaze away as he heard footsteps approaching. Konohamaru appeared from the darkness and asked, “Naruto…do you have a moment?”

A little surprised at Konohamaru’s stiff tone the blonde nodded and got out of his bedroll. The two of them moved away from the camp encountering Darui who was the Kumo shinobi now on watch and who said, “What’s this, Konoha shinobi afraid to wander off into the darkness by themselves to piss or something?”

Naruto, seeing his chance at revenge for Konohamaru’s comments during their travels about how backwards it was for a genin to be leading chunin said, “Not all of us, I guess he’s a little spooked that we may be near such dangerous characters.”

“I’m not afraid of the dark,” Konohamaru said upset at being teased.

“Really, then I’m going back to bed…”

“Alright, fine…just come on and make sure nobody sneaks up on me…jerk,” Konohamaru said causing Darui to chuckle in amusement at the two.

Naruto and Konohamaru wandered off until they were sure they couldn’t be overheard, although the jinchuriki knew they weren’t alone as Mikoto had followed them. Upon stopping Naruto waited for Konohamaru to begin, but after several moments he prompted him by asking, “So what is it you wanted to talk about?”

“Well about you and that missing-nin.”

“What about us,” Naruto said, “And technically Haku isn’t a missing-nin. It’s true she was an apprentice of one, but she never official joined their village due to their intolerance against Kekkei Genkai.”

Konohamaru conceded the point but said, “Be that as it may…just how involved are you with her?” Naruto looked confused so the young Sarutobi added, “I’m asking because my team was saved in Wave by a pair of masked Kiri-nin.” Naruto cursed internally at his slip up by admitting to a connection with Haku, but hoping Konohamaru wasn’t drawing the picture he thought he was kept his face calm. “Although I was unconscious at the time they appeared…Moegi described them pretty well. So well in fact that I have no doubt that Haku is the female one. You’d be interested in knowing that the male although masked had blond hair just like you. Moegi also said that Haku described the man she was with as her lover.”

Not willing to lie to his friend, he said, “She’d be right.”

Konohamaru’s eyes grew wide at Naruto’s admission as he said, “Holy shit…I knew it. I thought maybe I was crazy but then when I realized you knew the Hiraishin…”

Due to Konohamaru’s voice getting louder, Naruto shot forward and clamped his hand around the younger man’s mouth whispering, “Keep it down will you. There is a reason the whole world doesn’t know after all.” Konohamaru nodded so Naruto removed his hand but then as his friend looked at him with questioning eyes asked, “Now what?”

“What’s the reason? I mean I don’t think you’re the type to sneak around Ayame’s back so I’m guessing she…” Konohamaru trailed off as he suddenly realized the reason for Sakura’s behavior at the gate. Having also been present during Konan’s speech, and having heard the way Ino and the Ame spoke about him suddenly blurted, “Just how many chicks are you with?” Also realizing that aside from him, who had to beg to be on the team, all the other Leaf Shinobi were female added, “Are you with all of those women accompanying us?”

Naruto misunderstood the question to include the Kumo kunoichi replied, “Not all of them…just you know, most of them.”

Konohamaru realized that with the Hiraishin at his disposal Naruto wasn’t limited to just Konoha so quickly realized his rival might also be involved with some of Kumo kunoichi as well. Smirking jovially, he said, “When did you become so cool?”

Naruto shrugged as he returned the smile as he replied, “It just sort of happened and is a really long story. Which I’ll tell you later. We should get before Darui thinks to come looking for us.”

“Hold on,” Konohamaru said, “What are you going to give me to keep quiet?”

Naruto didn’t pause as he headed back, “Nothing…you aren’t the type to rat out a friend.”

Konohamaru frowned, but seeing as how Naruto had converted a number of kunoichi that had practically been devoted to the Uchiha that his own crush was said, “Do you think that maybe you could give me some tips? You see there’s this girl…”

Naruto smiled as Konohamaru trailed off so turning to his friend said, “There always is. The best advice I can give you is be yourself. If it’s meant to be, she’ll eventually respond to your feelings.”

“Are you saying all those kunoichi just responded to your feelings?”

Naruto sighed figuring he’d have to give a little more detail otherwise Konohamaru would never drop it. Sitting on a nearby log he explained, “It’s complicated. But let’s just say I learned a jutsu that caused me to settle on a path that I believe can help make my master’s dream of a world where the shinobi of the different villages can understand each other a reality. These relationships help me see beyond just the issues afflicting Konoha.”

“How?”

“Well I guess the best example to explain would be say you fell in love with a girl from a different hometown. Now keep in mind you’ve never been there, but one day you hear a disaster has struck. Wouldn’t you be just as concerned as her if only for her sake?”

“I guess that makes sense…but do you really need to be in a relationship with them?”

Naruto gave a wide smile as he said, “No…but that is an extra bonus.” Looking back at the camp he said, “I guess there’d be no point in pretending you needed a babysitter to hold your hand in the dark. So, how about you tell me about this girl you like.”

Konohamaru smiled in a way that Naruto felt he often did when thinking of his lovers before he said, “Well her name is Naho. She’s a cousin of the Fire Daimyo and unfortunately for me total in love with Sasuke.”

Naruto a little surprised at who Konohamaru’s crush was said, “I remember her.” He felt a little culpability in her still being infatuated with Sasuke as he remembered the mission where Sasuke had saved them, but the Uchiha’s actions had frightened her after he continued to beat one of the shinobi due to his anger. Recalling how he told her that she didn’t need to be afraid of Sasuke because he was a good person, he wondered if that would still be the case.

Konohamaru smiled as he said, “Yeah she spoke pretty highly of you during the mission where my Team was assigned to guard her as she went on a vacation in the Land of the Moon. I kind of found I had a thing for her…but all she wanted to talk about was Sasuke.”

“I’ve been there,” Naruto said jovially which caused his friend to smile.

It faded though as a very serious mood settled on Konohamaru. Naruto noticed and sat up in concern, but waited for his friend to say what was on his mind. Finally after several minutes, he said, “I…I think I know where Sasuke is.” Surprised as that was the last thing he expected to hear, Naruto remained silent to let Konohamaru explain himself, “After the mission, I’ve continued to keep in touch with Naho. Her last letter was…troubling. Although she never believed me when I tried to explain Sasuke was no good, her last letter asked me to look into the possibility that Sasuke had been the focus of a conspiracy that had forced him to leave the village. I thought it was just an excuse she might have dreamed up to explain Sasuke’s actions. Yet with what happened with Root and Udon maybe it’s not as crazy as it sounds. But, I’m thinking that she must have been in contact with him. Her family has a summer home around here and Naho is currently staying there.”

Naruto crossed his arms as he considered the possibility. A part of him wanted to dismiss it as improbable since he could imagine such a place would be teaming with guards. Not to mention he doubted that Sasuke would want Naho sending out letters that might point to where he was hiding. Yet, he couldn’t be sure how up to date the guards at one of the Fire Daimyo’s summer homes would be about shinobi affairs. Furthermore, Naho might have sent her letter off without Sasuke’s knowledge hoping to help her crush by using her connection to Konohamaru. Naruto truly hoped that wasn’t the case since it would imply that Sasuke was actively deceiving the girl. However, considering what the Uchiha was already accused of he couldn’t deny it was a possibility. Also, it would be the perfect place to hide during the sealing of the Eight-tails since even if Kumo had found the place. Attacking a palace where a member of the Fire Country nobility was staying would undoubtedly lead to war.

After considering what his next course of action should be he said, “Go on back to camp and get some sleep. We’ll head out in the morning; with Karin’s abilities we should be able to quickly learn the truth of the matter.”

Konohamaru nodded and began heading back but stopped, “What about you?”

Naruto chuckled as he rubbed the back of his head while replying, “We’ve been out here so long I actually have to go to the bathroom. I’ll be back shortly.” Konohamaru began walking back as Naruto stood but stopped when the blond said, “Konohamaru, please keep the details of my relationships to yourself.”

“Right, you can count on me,” the chunin said giving Naruto a thumbs up.

“I know. I wouldn’t have told you if I couldn’t.” Konohamaru beamed as he headed back to the camp. Naruto turned away and so as to not be a liar began watering the bushes. Although not his only reason for not returning to the camp he half expected Mikoto to remain hidden until he was finished.

“I think it would be best if I check out your friend’s hunch myself,” Mikoto said from behind his ear startling him.

“What the…” Naruto said as a result, before calming and continuing to empty his bladder. “I think there’s an unspoken rule about not sneaking up on people as they pee.”

Mikoto having removed her mask said, “Actually, you’ll find that’s the best time to do it. It’s hard to keep your guard up when you’re so exposed.”

A part of Naruto was concerned that Mikoto may have already chosen her side and depending on his answer he might find his throat cut while taking a leak. But believing in his opinion of her as well as his mother’s he said, “I don’t think that would be a good idea. Plus, I’d have to explain where the Anbu assigned to my squad decided to disappear to in the middle of the night, which should Sasuke not be at this palace, might lead to some very violent misunderstandings.”

Mikoto understood what Naruto was applying being that with a solid lead, her disappearance might lead the Kumo-nin into believing that Konoha had warned Sasuke that they were approaching. Seeing another reason Naruto wouldn’t want her to wander off by herself she said, “Not to mention you likely fear I would tell Sasuke that you were coming.”

Naruto finished with his task so tucked himself back into his pants before turning to face Mikoto. Feeling sympathetic to the woman he said, “I imagine the temptation to do so would be incredible. But I don’t think you would. Right now we’re both in the same position, we don’t want what we’re hearing to be true, but we are being bombarded with more and more evidence that it is.”

“What does that matter…he’s my son.”

Naruto gave her a sad smile of understanding as he began to walk pass her, “He’ll always be that. But you also know what his actions may lead to and I know the last thing you would want is for a new war to break out. You are too good a person to want that.”

“You’ve thought the same thing about Sasuke and everything is pointing to you being wrong,” Mikoto said sadly. “What makes you think you can believe that about me?”

Naruto stopped and looking over his shoulder said, “From what I’ve seen and heard about your reasons for the actions you’ve taken. But also, it’s not just me that holds that opinion of you.”

Mikoto stared at Naruto’s back and wondered if he was referring to his mother. Filled with indecision as well as a fear of what the next day would bring she wished that the sun would never rise.

****************************

Kiyomi was enjoying her breakfast, when Yoruichi entered the dining hall. Coming to a stop near her sister the dark-skinned woman said, “Are you ready to speak with Shukaku yet?”

Dabbing at her mouth with a napkin, she tossed it onto her plate signaling she was done and felt a sense of accomplishment as Aeris picked it up to take to the kitchen. Considering that she had used all the information she had gained from her manipulating the Taki-nin’s minds and applied it to giving birth to Sage, she felt there was nothing wrong in basking in her success. Folding her hands in her lap, the Fox Bijuu said, “That depends is Shukaku anymore agreeable then the last time we looked?”

“The cussing has stopped,” Yoruichi said with a smile that Kiyomi mirrored.

“That’s something I suppose,” Kiyomi said standing before they both joined their other sister in the basement where the Tea Kettle that Shukaku was currently sealed resided. Unable to hear the psychic ranting they had before, Kiyomi approached it and deciding a face to face was in order placed her hand on it. Her sisters copied her action as all three allowed their consciousness to enter the dimension contained in the powerful Suna artifact.

Appearing before their one-tailed sibling in their human forms, Shukaku instantly recognized Yoruichi as the one that had aided in trapping it in the kettle so raising a massive fist prepared to squash all three. Kiyomi raised her arm causing a large chakra claw to extend from her hand which wrapped around Shukaku’s wrist. Easily holding it in place she said, “I think it would be best if you remained calm Shukaku. Unless you wish us to leave you here for another couple of days that is?”

Recognizing the chakra holding its arm at bay, the Bijuu relented but still sounded hostile as it said, “Kurama, why would wish to look like a human?”

“It has its benefits,” Kiyomi replied.

“Oh it certainly does,” Yoruichi seconded causing a smirk to appear Seven’s face.

“Business before pleasure ladies,” Kiyomi said before turning her attention to address Shukaku. “Also, I go by the name Kiyomi.”

“Kiyomi,” Shukaku said mockingly, “You’re starting to sound like Matatabi with that stupid wish that everyone call it Yoruichi.”

“Hey, asshole I’m right here,” Yoruichi shouted.

Shukaku was obviously surprised by the revelation and although it had found the chakra the dark-skinned woman was giving off familiar it had also been much different than the type Matatabi had used to possess. Turning its gaze to the brown-haired woman it concentrated on the familiar feeling she was giving off for several moments before saying, “Chomei?” When the brown-eyed woman nodded, Shukaku sat back in surprise to ask, “What have the three of you done to yourselves?”

“I like to think of it as an image change,” Seven said amused at Shukaku’s shocked expression.

The One-tailed Bijuu sobered up relatively quickly as it got over its surprise and commenting on how its fellow Bijuu were the ones that had sealed it said, “So, you’ve become slaves to the humans have you? What, have you all decided to embrace the role as weapons that they always desired for us?”

“Actually our actions were for the benefit of one human,” Kiyomi replied understanding where Shukaku was coming from. “You may not have been under your own control for most of our battle but you made it very clear you were going to be a threat to Konoha.”

“Konoha,” Shukaku said questioningly. Before it pictured the blond man that had been standing next to Yoruichi when they sealed it realizing that was who Kiyomi was referring to it said, “That blond bastard that stopped me several years ago. Why the hell would…”

Shukaku trailed off as the three Bijuu’s chakra flared to life revealing just how strong the women were and if it had to guess believed they may have been stronger than before they had assumed human form. The three women shared a look of amusement at their having the same reaction to Shukaku’s comment about Naruto. Kiyomi stepped closer to its giant sibling to say, “I would watch how you refer to Naruto in the future. He’s become rather popular. In time you may find out why…depending.”

“Depending on what?”

“On what you decide here,” Kiyomi answered. “I’m willing to set you free of this prison, but there will be conditions.”

“What sort of conditions?” Shukaku asked warily.

“The first would be that there are no more rampages or attacks against the people of the Elemental Countries,” Kiyomi said.

She frowned though as Shukaku slammed a fist into its open hand as it replied, “Forget it! I’m due some serious payback. If you want me to leave the Leaf village alone fine, but I’m going to teach those Sand twerps the consequences of fucking with Shukaku the Sand Spirit.” Kiyomi simply spun on her heel and began walking away provoking the One-Tailed Beast into calling, “What that’s it?”

It was Seven that answered with a shrug of her shoulders, “We’re afraid so. This is something we all decided. You weren’t the only one to be sealed and turned into a weapon. If we could let it go then we expect the same of you.”

As Kiyomi passed her, Seven turned to follow encouraging Yoruichi to added, “It’s a shame too. The official story we’re going to use about your disappearance is that the Leaf with the Kazekage’s permission banished you to another dimension. I’m afraid that means we’re going to have to keep you locked up in here until Akatsuki is dealt with since the story’s for their benefit. We’ll be sure to visit on weekends.”

“Wait!” Shukaku shouted. It remained silent for a few seconds as the three women stopped, but remained facing away. Guessing that they were waiting for it to relent, Shukaku said, “Fine, I’ll forego my well-deserved revenge. What are your other conditions?”

Turning Kiyomi said, “We want your aid in freeing the rest of our siblings?”

“Are you nuts? Outside of you three, and Gyuki, the rest of them are locked up tight in the Gedo Mazo. No way am I going near that thing again. Not unless you want our Father’s warning about us all becoming one will again to come true.”

“We did tell you there were benefits to these forms, didn’t we?” Kiyomi said amused.

“That’s not even the best one,” Yoruichi added with a cat that ate the canary grin.

Shukaku studied the three women and intrigued said, “Tell me more.” It would also admit to being extremely curious as to what could make Matatabi grin in such a way.

*****************************

“I thought you said this was a summer home,” Karui complained looking at the structure that Karin’s senses said Sasuke was residing within as well as several extremely powerful chakras. “It looks like a god-damn fortress.”

Naruto frowned since he couldn’t disagree with her. The large castle resided on an island in the middle of a large lake. To even reach it one would have to row a boat to the dock on the island or in their case run along the water thus exposing them to the guards patrolling the large wall surrounding the island. Naruto looked at his team and noticed that Karin had an unease feeling so asked, “Are you sensing something else?”

“It’s the guards…there’s something off about them,” Karin answered as she tried to think of how best to explain the sensation that she was getting off of them.

“I’m not sensing anything,” Shii said.

“I think I’d go with her feeling on this one,” Yugito said watching the guards for any sign of what Karin was feeling. “Her chakra sensing ability is far stronger than any I’ve ever seen.” Shii nodded his head as it had taken him getting almost three times closer the location to confirm Killer Bee’s chakra was there as it did Karin to pickup Sasuke’s.

Karin directed her red-eyed gaze to her fellow sensor to ask, “Was Bee’s chakra always this weak? It doesn’t match up with what I would expect.”

“It may just be that Akatsuki is almost finished sealing the Eight-Tails,” Shii replied.

Karin looked away but didn’t feel that was the case as those performing the sealing didn’t give off the sense of fatigue she would expect. To her they felt remarkable fresh for people that would need to perform a jutsu for several days if not weeks due to the weakened condition of Akatsuki.

Naruto though put what everyone was thinking into words as he said, “In any case it doesn’t matter. We’re going have to get in there and sooner rather than later.”

“Leave that to me,” Ino said moving to get a good angle on one of the guards that had stopped. Looking over her shoulder she said to her lover, “Watch my body for me so I can poke around a little.”

She smiled as Naruto said, “I think I can handle that.”

Peering through the gap of her family’s special hand-sign she sent her spirit flying and a moment later found herself in the armored form of one of the guards assigned to protect Naho. Despite her being able to move with some degree of freedom, she slipped away from the wall unnoticed so as not to be questioned. Ino proceeded to move through the castle stealthily, but allowed herself to be seen on the few occasions that she couldn’t remain undetected. As she moved, she felt rather strange like she was walking around in another person’s skin, which technically she was, but it felt like there was another layer on top of that.

She pushed it out of her mind though as she actually came across Sasuke walking through the hall towards her. Despite herself she found him to be incredible attractive physically, but as her eyes met his and she saw none of the light or kindness that Naruto’s admitted found the rest of the package rather bland. Her esteem of him fell even further as the woman walking with him said whined, “Sasuke…when are we going to be done here? I’m tired of watching that girl fawn all over you.”

“Put up with it a little while longer,” Sasuke said sounding like he didn’t care one way or the other. “Once the Eight-tails is sealed we’ll see if Madara honors his promise of sharing its power so I can crush the Leaf Village. Until then letting Naho pretend to think she’s special to me lets us operate right under Konoha and Kumo’s noses.”

“What an asshole,” Ino muttered after passing them. Although concerned that it appeared Sasuke indeed considered Konoha an enemy, she knew Naruto would never let him threaten it so put her faith in him. Being able to detect chakra herself although not on Karin or even Shii’s level she headed to the largest chakra source she felt.

Just before reaching a door that appeared to head down into the bowels of the castle she was stopped by the two guards on either side of it. “Hey, what are you doing here? You should be guarding the wall.”

“Sorry, bathroom break,” Ino said and was surprised as both guards immediately charged.

“Hey since when is needing to go to the bathroom a crime,” Ino questioned blocking one of the guards polearms with the sword the body she was using was armed with.

“We don’t need to poo, fleshbag,” one of the guards said as its features morphed into a pale white face with gold eyes. Turning her focus to the other guard she saw an identical copy. Pushing off of the one she had blocked to avoid being attacked by the other she thought, “That must be why Karin said they felt off. They might have different chakra signatures but underneath they were all the same. That must mean they eliminated the guards to take their place.”

Although sad that likely meant all the guards had been killed, it did simplify things for them since they wouldn’t need to hold back against what would otherwise have been innocent people. Avoiding, the sword of the other guard, she could hear the sounds of alarm being raised. Entering a large hall for entertaining guest, Ino found herself surrounded as more guards entered through the other entrances. “Who sent you?” one of the white Zetsu that had discovered her ruse asked holding its polearm at the ready.

Crouching down, she applied the Hiraishin seal on the ground that Naruto had taught her as a result of her ability sometimes taking her away from her body. Smiling at the Zetsu she said, “Why tell you when I can show you?”

A red flash appeared behind her as Naruto teleported his team and the Kumo-nin into the castle. “I thought we were going to do this quietly.”

“Sorry,” Ino replied, “It sees we misread the situation slightly. It turns out somebody has replaced all the guards.”

Naruto spotting the two identical beings understood what Ino was saying so replied, “I guess we can do this the noisy way then.”

*****************************

The castle shook causing Sasuke and his team to look around in surprise. A moment later Naho came charging in and sounding panicked said, “Lord Sasuke…have those other evil shinobi come looking for their comrade.”

Suigetsu groaned as he complained, “Aw man, I though the whole point of staying here was so Kumo wouldn’t find there jinchuriki.”

“Kumo…” Naho said confused while directing her gaze to Sasuke, “Why would Kumo come looking for a missing-nin prowling near my home?”

Sasuke didn’t even bother responding as he picked up his sword and slid it into his belt. Not bothering to put the Akatsuki robe back on he said, “Let’s go.”

He was stopped though as Naho grabbed his hand, when his cold gaze met her frightened light-brown eyes she said, “Lord Sasuke…I’m scared.” Sasuke didn’t bother to respond as he simply pulled his hand free of her grip.

About to call after him, she was pushed roughly to the side by Tamaki. “Get a clue why don’t you.”

Hearing another explosion that shook the castle and so very alone, Naho searched for a place to hide.

*****************************

“Man, just how big is this place,” Karui asked as Yugito led the Kumo team of her, Shii and Darui deeper into the castle lower levels. “If I was a Fire Country citizen I’d be pissed if this was where all my taxes went.”

“You should see the villa of the Lightning Daimyo,” Darui said having once attended a banquet there as a bodyguard for the Raikage. “If you think this is wasteful then how about an entire beach house for a stupid dog.”

“You’re just angry that dog peed on your leg,” Shii said.

“Were you this focused when you thought Akatsuki had me?” Yugito asked with a shake of her head. “No wonder it was up to the Leaf to save me.”

“The way I recall it they stumbled upon you,” a smooth deep and supremely confident voice said causing all four Kumo-nin to stop. A spacial distortion formed before them as Tobi appeared. “But perhaps I misread the situation seeing as Konoha and Kumo seem to be working together here. It was quite accommodating of your villages to supply me with both the nine and two tails.”

“Big words for a man that needed to pretend to be an idiot,” Yugito replied referencing his time as the idiotic persona that he appeared to have discarded. Aware of what he wanted some to think of him as and wanting some confirmation as to why he had yet to reveal the name to the world said, “I’m thinking Tobi is a made up name, so why don’t you tell us who you really are.”

“All in good time my dear,” Tobi replied amused. “It’s not quite time for me to take the stage under my true name just yet.”

Crossing her arms in front of her, she used her claw creation jutsu to elongate her fingernails. Charging forward she shouted, “I’m afraid you’re going to be missing your curtain call.”

Closing the distance between them blazingly quick she slashed out intending to open his stomach, but harmless passed right through him. “A futile effort,” Tobi said spinning to grab the woman and spirit her away using his jutsu.

Yuugao though spun to face him and then flipped backwards her elongated toenail aimed to penetrate right under Tobi’s masked chin. However again the attack harmless passed through him and after solidifying to grab the blonde woman was forced to teleport behind her as Darui used his Storm Release: Laser Circus attack. Tobi felt that he was safe since he had appeared between the kunoichi and Darui, but learned how wrong he was as all of the beams flew around her.

Barely able to activate his ability to have attacks to phase through him in time, he waited for the jutsu to end and as he became solid again said, “Impressive, but time is running out. Can you defeat me in time? I wonder.”

The Kumo-nin tensed as they prepared to attack. Shii darted forward first and just before reaching Tobi began to emit a bright light as he shouted, “Lady Yugito go.”

Yugito charged forward this time slashing at Tobi’s throat but wasn’t surprised when her attack passed through him harmlessly. Landing on the other side, she ran off to move deeper into the castle in order to free Bee.

“Take that moron,” Karui shouted, “Lady Yugito is going to put a stop to your plans once and for all by stopping you from getting the eight-tails.”

“I wonder,” Tobi said before several massive shuriken appeared via his Kamui dojutsu. The Cloud-nin battered them away as he disappeared via the same technique only to reappear in front of Karui. She swung her blade at him which he easily caught before backhanding her away. Pulling the sword from her grip he held it in front of him as he said, “I think the rest of you will find getting passed me considerably harder than she did.”

“Shit did he want to separate us,” Darui asked himself internally as Shii helped Karui back to her feet. “What does he have up his sleeve that makes him so confident?”

*****************************

Tenten spun around wielding the Blue Dragon that Naruto had given her for their two-month anniversary. Although she had yet to master the secrets of channeling her wind natured chakra through it, the sharp blade still easily passed through armor and torso of the Zetsu pretending to be a guard. Looking around she saw both Ino and Karin fighting several Zetsu that had ended the jutsu that made them appear human, although they still had on the armor the guards of the palace apparently wore. Karin was knocked backwards by one, who attempted to bury the sword it wielded into the kunoichi’s skull. Before Tenten could summon a kunai, a senbon buried itself into the Zetsu’s throat and from the weapon mistress’s practiced eye she could tell it had with enough force and accuracy to penetrate the spine.

The Zetsu that Haku had just killed collapsed bonelessly which was an accurate statement for all of the Zetsu as the ones Tenten had already cut open didn’t appear to actually have bones, but a solid plantlike substance almost like a rose stem. She guessed that was why some of them appeared so flexible although the core probably fulfilled the same roles bones would.

A pair of Zetsu leapt at her, causing Tenten to leap back as she sealed her polearm again. Using the other gift Naruto had given her, she activated the seals in the gloves that had been a part of her gift to reveal the twin Melk Blades that she kept sealed in the palms. She easily sliced through the wooden pole of the spear one of the Zetsu carried, as she parried the sword of the other. Pushing the sword wielding one back so that she had a clear shot at its torso she whirled around cutting it in half as she also used the other blade to remove the leg of the Zetsu whose spear she had destroyed. As the amputated Zetsu hit the ground she quickly sliced off its head.

Noticing that Konohamaru was missing, Tenten was about to ask if anyone knew where he had gone, but was forced to defend herself as a torrent of water flew into the grand hall where the battle to save Killer Bee had first started. Throwing her arms in front of her as she crossed her blades she was surprised as she heard the clang of metal as she was lifted off her feet. That was until a face and upper body appeared from it for her to see it was holding a massive blade. The white haired youth smiled at her as she hit a wall forcing her to use all her strength to keep the blade at bay.

“Do you mind if I cut in,” the young man asked as he smiled revealing his sharpened teeth.

Tenten found the ability to speak hard as the man’s arm grew twice as large but noticing that the blade was the Kubikiribōchō said, “Generally it’s polite to ask before you do so.” She noticed that the temperature of the room was growing noticeably cooler so added, “Sorry, it doesn’t look like I’m going to be your dance partner in any case.”

Suigetsu was force to leap away as a wave of ice spread towards him to freeze his legs to the ground. Landing to face the new threat, he watched as several Zetsu attacked the woman whose hands were pressed to the ground. Using the bare minimum amount of movement to avoid their attacks the masked woman easily retaliated with senbon that she buried in vital spots. As the Zetsu fell around her, she said in a voice of ice, “That blade belongs to Zabuza.”

“Yeah well Zabuza’s fucking dead. If he wants it back he can pry it from my cold dead hands.”

“As you wish,” Haku said charging at him almost faster than he could follow. Barely managing to avoid her, the man transformed into his water form and flew out of the room with an enraged kunoichi in pursuit. Suigetsu hoped he could make it to Sasuke before she caught up figuring that maybe now it would be a good time to break his ties with the Uchiha.

****************************

Ino watched as Haku darted off after the man that had attacked Tenten. She was about to inquire as to who the person had been, but a pleased sounding Karin said, “I wouldn’t want to be in Suigetsu’s shoes right now.” Recognizing the name as one of the shinobi traveling with Sasuke, Ino felt a sense of dread that perhaps Naruto and Mikoto had missed him and that he was about to make an appearance. She calmed though as she realized if that was the case she could just call her lover back via the fox mark.

Ino’s attention was pulled to the ceiling by the sound of what sounded like chimes. Looking up just as a woman let go of the chandelier she had been swinging on and was the source of the sound Ino had heard. The woman folded into a ball that before landing between Ino and Karin spread out with her legs kicking both women away. Ino rolled to her feet as Karin did likewise and both women sent the new arrival a glare.

“Scary,” Tamaki said before dropping into a semi-crouch and holding her hands in front of her to reveal she wore gloves that were tipped with three inch long blades.

“I’m guessing you must be my replacement huh?” Karin said adjusting her glasses.

“More like an improvement,” Tamaki countered.

Karin was about to fire back an insult but then a soft voice called, “Karin,” causing the kunoichi to turn to it in surprise as it was softer than she remembered. Recognizing Juugo despite his apparent regression in age she asked, “Juugo!? What happened to you?”

“Why are you here Karin?” Juugo asked ignoring her question.

“Duh! Obviously she betrayed Sasuke and led these guys here,” Tamaki said after avoiding a kick by Ino.

“Is this true?” Juugo asked, but when she didn’t respond since she didn’t want to provoke him he asked a second time his voice turning noticeable darker.

Aware he was about to likely go berserk she tried to calm him by saying, “Sasuke abandoned me remember. Juugo come with me to the Leaf. I’ll see that you get the help you need. You’re much to gentle a person to want to serve Sasuke.”

“I’m Sasuke’s shield,” Juugo said his rage taking over. His arms turned black as several tubes shot from them burying into the Zetsu corpses littering the ground. Karin watched concerned as the corpses began to shrivel. She learned there was a good reason for it as Juugo regained his adult like form. His skin turned black as he lost control of his intellect and grinning evilly asked, “Who should I kill first? Red or Yellow.”

Ino leapt to Karin’s back as she avoided a swipe from Tamaki’s claw to ask, “How much trouble are we in?”

“Tons,” Karin replied as boosters formed from Juugo’s back and he flew across the room towards them.

*****************************

Yugito darted down a hallway that she could see would be opening up into a massive room. Able to see a blue light illuminating it she pushed herself harder and came to a skidding halt as she saw Kisame sitting cross-legged in front of a statue. Atop of the fingers of the statue stood nine white Zetsu along with a tenth black one and between them and Kisame floating in the air was Killer Bee.

Kisame smiled his shark-tooth grin as he got to his feet saying, “My what a surprise, we don’t usually have guest during these ceremonies.”

Guessing that the Zetsu were the ones performing the Jutsu and that Kisame was the one to make sure they were interrupted, the kunoichi tried to leap past him. However, Kisame simply spat up a wall of water that separated her from the statue. Stepping through the barrier, he said, “That was rather rude of you. Although given the circumstances I suppose I can understand.”

Yugito hissed before firing a flame ball of hair which then took on the shape of a mouse that split into a dozen more. All of the flaming mice shot towards Kisame, who blocked them with his blade which absorbed the chakra. “Come on you better come with more than that if you want to get by me.”

Yugito knew that Kisame was goading her into using big powerful chakra attacks that his blade could then devour. Dropping into a crouch she elongated her fingernails and toenails before charging the man that some called, “The Tailed-Beast Without A Tail.”

Leaping the final distance she tried to slash at him with her foot, but Kisame blocked her attack with his blade. She leapt off of it before he could try to shred her foot, but as she was in midair he proved he was rather quick himself as he closed the distance and hit her in the side with it. He didn’t try to shred her with it as he instead used it as a bludgeon to send her flying into the water-wall he had created. Yugito smashed into learning that the thing was a hard as steel as it offered no leeway.

Yugito didn’t have any time to recover as Kisame placed Samehada on his back and completing several hand-signs shouted, “Water Style: Water Shark Bomb Jutsu.” Several sharks made of the element he had described flew towards her forcing her to avoid them. The Jutsu hit the water-wall easily passing through before flying back around to make another pass.

Darting away from the wall, she found Kisame blocking her path as the sharks closed in from behind her. Cursing her situation she spun to use her Flaming Hairball Jutsu again which collided with the sharks causing them to erupt into steam. “Gotcha,” Kisame said from behind her before creating a water prison around her. As she remained stationary at the center of the globe of water the missing-nin said, “Don’t worry, I’m not going drown ya. We have to get that tailed beast out of you first.”

“Too late,” Yugito though with an internal smirk.

Although she hadn’t wanted to channel into the power she had absorbed as a result of Yoruichi’s leaving her Bijuu body. Her current situation demanded it so activating the Bijuu chakra she felt her body fill with power. The first sign of her activating it was her hair which despite the water caught fire in the same blue flames that would surround her in her Bijuu form. Her long ponytail split into two flaming ones as her skin appeared to turn blue but was actual a thin coating of the same blue flames.

Kisame watched as his water prison jutsu began to boil, before exploding into steam which scalded him as he leapt away a half second too late. As the evaporated water cleared, he saw Yugito staring at him with yellow glowing eyes as the blue flames obscured her body.

“Not bad,” Kisame said feeling almost like he was becoming dehydrated by her presence at the heat rolling off her. “But no matter how hot those flames are they’re made of chakra that I can absorb.”

“Let’s test that out,” Yugito said rearing her leg back which she then kicked out at him. A wave of blue flame shot out of the wake of her kick which he was forced to block using Samehada due to the speed at which it traveled. Although his blade was able to absorb the blow it screeched in pain and almost became too hot to hold as if the chakra was burning it from the inside. Yugito then swiped with her hand causing several blades of flame to fly across the room at him, not sure if Shark Skin could handle absorbing another shot so soon he dodged out of the way and watched as the jutsu cut deep furrows into the wall where he had been standing. The stone oozed slightly as it melted due to heat of the jutsu.

He turned back to face the jinchuriki but momentarily lost sight of her as she seemed to flicker before appearing right in front of his face with her fist pulled back. She brought it forward and a massive explosion of flame incinerated him, or would have if he hadn’t substituted himself with one of the white Zetsu.

Hating to admit it but in the confined space Kisame felt that if the kunoichi managed to get close again he’d be toast. He watched amazed as Yugito approached the water-wall and it seemed to shrink back as she stepped through it before closing behind her. Figuring he needed to buy more time he looked to the ceiling and knowing they were under the lake fired a shark bomb into it causing lake water to fill the room and wash over Yugito.

*****************************

Haku chased after Suigetsu truly angry for one of the few times that she could remember. Able to sense that they were closing with Naruto and that likely meant her opponent was fleeing towards Sasuke. She created an Ice Mirror in front of the man which he smashed into. Stepping through it, she touched it and expanded it to cut off his avenue of escape.

“All I desire is the sword,” Haku said closing with the former Mist Shinobi as he cleared the cobwebs from his head, “give it to me and I will let you flee. Zabuza would be ashamed to see it in the hands of a coward like you.”

“You want the blade so badly bitch, then take it,” Suigetsu shouted swinging at her midsection.

Haku nimbly leapt over the swing and landing behind the still sitting man kicked him in the side of the head. His head exploded into water as did the rest of his body which reformed with him holding the Kubikiribōchō above his head in an attempt to cleave her in half. Haku leapt back causing him to miss, but Suigetsu pressed his attack launching forward to stab her with it. Haku created another ice mirror that didn’t even chip as the massive blade hit it. Appearing around the side of it she threw a pair of senbon which would have pierced his eyes, but harmlessly passed through his head as a result of his Hydrification technique.

“Nice try,” Suigetsu shouted as he swung around increasing the strength of his arm causing it to enlarge.

Haku ducked beneath the blow and was surprised as it sliced through her ice mirror. His arm returned to normal as he brought the blade above his head to smash it down on the kunoichi with a two handed grip. But to his surprise instead of dodging Haku caught the blade on either side and easily held it in place. Beginning to pump up his arm again he paused as Haku said, “I believe you said I could have the sword if I took it out of your cold hands correct.”

Suigetsu was about to ask her what she meant but didn’t need to as he felt a bone chilling cold seep into him via the handle. Realizing that Haku was freezing the blade, he tried to pull free but his hands wouldn't open having already been frozen. Haku then pulled the blade back towards her causing Suigetsu’s arms to break off where they had already been turned to ice. Smashing the handle on the ground to break the frozen appendages she tossed it into the air and catching the Kubikiribōchō by the handle stabbed it into Suigetsu’s chest.

The white haired man froze solid in a matter of moments. Once the task was complete Haku twisted the blade causing the ice statue to shatter before fastening Kubikiribōchō to her back. Believing that once the water melted Suigetsu would recover, she decided to leave him as is since she moved to aid her fell Harem members confident Naruto could take care of himself.

*****************************

Naho was crouched low in a closest as she hugged her knees; she had gone in search of some guards after Sasuke abandoned her only to find several dead. However, instead of the familiar faces she had known, they had all looked like the strange plant like man that would often report to Tobi as Sasuke had stayed there. Instinctually understanding that meant her guards had been killed and replaced she felt like such a fool for doubting Konohamaru’s warnings.

Her breath caught in the back of her throat as two Zetsu entered the room she was hiding in. One of them asked, “Why are we wasting time looking for that girl?”

“Tobi, wants us to take her place,” the other replied.

“Then why didn’t we do that when we replaced the guards?”

“Because, what if she was called back to the capital? We’d have to act like her with people we never met before. At least with the chaos going on any change in her behavior could be attributed to stress of what she survived. Now shut up and help me look.”

The two Zetsu tore apart the room, until one of them stepped before the closest trying to make herself invisible she tried to make herself as small as possible. Needless to say when the Zetsu threw open the door it didn’t work. Pleased at its discovery is said, “There you are.”

Reaching for her, she shouted, “Please somebody help.”

“Rasengan,” a voice shouted causing the Zetsu to spin in order to face the threat and received the already called out jutsu in its gut. The Zetsu flew backwards smashing through the wall of the closet causing light to spill in from the room beyond.

Naho looked up to see a pair of backs blocking her from the remaining Zetsu but instantly recognized the scarf wrapped around their throats. “Konohamaru,” she called out happily unsure of which one she wanted to throw her arms around.

One of them charged the other Zetsu as Konohamaru grabbed her by the hand and pulled her to her feet. He then led her out the hole the Zetsu he had killed made. Entering the hallway he called back to her, “Stay close to me Naho. I won’t let anything happen to you.”

Looking at where his hand was wrapped around hers, she wasn’t sure why her cheeks felt so warm considering how scared she was, but nevertheless said, “Please don’t let go.”

Konohamaru looked behind him giving her his best reassuring smile as he said, “I won’t. I promise.”

*****************************

Ino winced sympathetically as one of the Zetsu she was controlling was smashed into and through a wall as a result of the rocket propelled punch of Juugo. The other one didn’t fare any better as it was cut down the middle as its punch proved ineffective, but the monstrous man’s reprisal wasn’t due to his arm morphing into a large axe. His gaze fell on Ino causing her gulp since physical attacks didn’t seem to bother him and she did not want to go crawling through his head. She received some help courtesy of Tenten as a volley of kunai with exploding tags hit him, but as she heard the roar that bellowed from the smoke doubted it did anything but piss him off.

A human projectile flew out of the smoke propelled by chakra which hit Tenten and sent her flying into a wall. Ino moved to help preparing to use her mind swap jutsu, but was saved the trouble as Haku appeared in front of Juugo. She used the Kubikiribōchō to block his arm which had again morphed into an axe. She appeared to be able to hold her own, until several tubes opened in his arm and chakra came spewing out. The boosters forced Haku and a recovered Tenten to leap away or be crushed beneath the blow.

Juugo appeared to have a hard time choosing which to follow so Ino decided to give him a new option by running and kicking him in the back of the head with both feet. Her attack succeeded in smashing Juugo’s face into the wall that he had sent Tenten into. Ino leap away as he swung behind him.

A White Zetsu appeared behind her but was quickly eliminated by a kunai in one eye and a senbon in the other just before Haku and Tenten appeared next to her. Covered by her fellow kunoichi she spared a moment to check on Karin and was pleased to see that despite a few cuts and scrapes she appeared to be holding her own against Sasuke’s new kunoichi.

Juugo turned to face Ino and the others his eyes glaring angrily forcing her to focus on the threat. But a light of sanity appeared in Juugo’s face as the castle shook violently as a result of an explosion. Looking up to where it had come from, Juugo whispered, “Sasuke…” He then turned and smashed his hand into the wall darting off through the hole he had made. Tamaki after being on a rather brutal combo from Karin looked back at the noise in time to see her ally abandon her so quickly shunshined away.

Ino although confident that Naruto could handle himself was of the opinion that if Sasuke’s allies were going to aid him, then Naruto’s lovers were also so obligated charged through the hole followed by her fellow Harem members.
*****************************

Naruto and Mikoto entered into a darkened room at the top of the castle. Feeling like a samurai about to confront some evil lord like in some of the movies he watched he just wished it wasn’t Sasuke’s voice that called out, “Naruto. I should have guessed you were the one making all that racket.”

A pair of red eyes appeared in the darkness as Sasuke stepped into the light cast into the room from the hallway. His arm lazily resting on his blade he said, “I thought you’d be too busy training to become Hokage to continue chasing after me.”

“Sasuke, it’s time to come back now. If you don’t the world is going to be coming after you, Tsunade can no longer ignore you crimes.”

“My crimes…” Sasuke said softly before pulling his blade and pointing it at Naruto as he heatedly added, “And who’s going to judge Konoha for its crimes in killing my clan. Or for forcing Itachi to be the one to do it.”

“Nobody forced Itachi to do anything,” Naruto replied hearing what he had feared most. “Itachi having experienced the horrors of the Third Shinobi War never wanted to see it happen in his own village that he loved. But the only thing he loved more than the village was you which is why…”

“Don’t speak to me about Itachi,” Sasuke shouted. “What would a bastard little orphan that never knew love understand about him?”

Naruto was about to reply just as angrily that he knew what love was thanks to his parents who sacrificed everything for him. But a soft voice calmed both their furies as Mikoto said, “Sasuke…”

Hearing his mother’s voice Sasuke watched shocked as the Anbu behind Naruto stepped forward. She removed her mask, causing Sasuke’s eyes to widen even further in disbelief. Almost fearing her to be a ghost of some sort Sasuke said, “Stay back.”

Dropping the mask, Mikoto said, “Sasuke… please listen to your friend. It’s because of him that you haven’t been pursued as a missing-nin for this long. It’s not too late for you.” Mikoto looked back at Naruto as she was unsure of what else to say. Looking back she said, “He isn’t wrong about your brother. Itachi loved the Leaf village and felt we were wrong to…urk.”

“Mikoto!” Naruto shouted as a Chidori spear appeared from out of her back.

“And what about you mother,” Sasuke said coldly holding the arm that he had channeled the jutsu that had stabbed her through the heart up. Ending the jutsu he watched her collapse as he said, “I’ve also heard about you. The apologetic bitch that betrayed her husband and led her clan to its destruction.”

“Sasuke…I didn’t mean for…” Mikoto whispered weakly.

It was drowned out by Naruto, who shouted in a full on rage which was mirrored by his mother’s, “Sasuke!!!” His body was coated in the red chakra of the nine-tails as he formed a Vermillion Rasengan. Charging Sasuke he planned to smash it right into his friend’s face. But Sasuke leapt back into the darkness and caught Naruto’s wrist. He redirected the blow into the castle’s wall blowing out a good chunk of the wall. Naruto stared in surprise which lasted until Sasuke pulled him off his feet and kicked him through the hold.

Turning to follow, he heard his mother weakly whisper, “Please…stop…”

Sasuke though ignored her leaping out after Naruto intent on hurting Konoha by killing the person it now saw as a hero.

*****************************

Ino entered the room she had saw Juugo and Tamaki run into. At some point Juugo had returned to his human form and rather than fighting seemed keen on simply escaping. The Yamanaka caught sight of the two Taka members leaping through a massive hole in the wall. But she stopped cold in her tracks seeing the unmoving form of Mikoto.

Forgetting all about the two, she quickly ran to the woman as she immediately began trying to heal her after ascertaining her injuries. Haku, Tenten, and Karin appeared a moment later with the red-head taking a spot opposite Ino. The other two women took up guard positions just in case someone tried to attack the medics as they worked. With Karin’s chakra Ino felt Mikoto responding to the treatments to repair her heart. But just as she was regaining some of her color she weakly tried to push their hands away as she whispered, “Please…just let me die…I’m so…worthless, I couldn’t even…save my baby…from himself…”

Hearing the sounds of battle outside Ino pushed Mikoto’s hands away and said, “If you want to take your life after I’ve saved it… I won’t stop you. But don’t ever say your life is worthless. Do you hear that outside? That’s the sound of someone fighting a person he once considered a friend, but likely can’t anymore. The reason he can’t is because he saw that friend just try to take someone that he values. If you still want to die…then I want you to look him in the eye when you explain why and then tell me you’re worthless.”

Mikoto began to cry as Karin and Ino did their best to fill the hole in her heart.

*****************************

Tobi smirked beneath his mask at the harried states of the Kumo-nin he faced. He had heard the loud explosion behind him and ignored it figuring Kisame was resorting to his tendency to use large and flashy jutsu. However, as a wave of water rushed down the hall that Yugito had ran down he feared the former member of the Seven Swordsmen had gotten too carried away. Letting the wave pass through him as it swept the Cloud-nin away, he the teleported to the Gedo Mazo.

Appearing on its head, he had a hard time seeing anything as a result of the steam filling the room. But then a badly burned Kisame, who had merged with his blade Samehada, smash into the Statue’s face to land in the palm of its hand. The steam cleared enough to reveal Yugito in some form Tobi never heard of her possessing as she remained untouched by the water filling the room.

Taking in Kisame’s state, he cursed as he watched the jinchuriki crouch as if to attack him. Needing to get the statue out of danger he warped space around him taking it, the Zetsu, and Kisame to his base in the Mountains’ Graveyard. Moving so much, such a great distance left him feeling drained. But wishing to collect Sasuke, he returned to the castle to learn of the Uchiha’s fate.

*****************************

Yugito glared at the spot the statue had been before ending her jutsu to move towards Killer Bee who had been left behind as a result of his not touching the statue as it warped away. Having to fight the water filling the room, she was just about to spin the face down body to make sure he was alright when it burst into smoke to reveal an octopus tentacle.

She stared at a moment in confusion before her eyes turned white in righteous fury upon understanding what had happened. Shouting to the heavens she said, “Bee, I’m going to fucking kill you!” A moment later another section of the ceiling gave way causing Yugito to be washed away as she planned all the horrible ways she would end Bee’s life. But she had the feeling she would only get whatever the Raikage left behind after he killed Bee first.

*****************************

Naruto tried to find his center but due to his mother’s rage found it difficult. Hoping to calm her, he said, “Mom, please stop. I…I can’t fight Sasuke like this. Killing him in a rage would be wrong.”

“He hurt Miko,” his mother replied in a cold fury. “He doesn’t deserve any mercy.”

“I know… But we should give it regardless. Please, help me.”

He felt his mother’s rage recede as instead he began to be filled with Natural Energy gathered by her. “Thanks, mom,” he thought before opening his eyes to focus on what he was finding easier to think of as a former friend.

Sasuke noticing his yellow eyes asked, “Is this the power you used to beat Pain?”

“Why?” Naruto asked as Sasuke pulled his sword.

“Because it wouldn’t mean anything if I killed you at anything less than full power,” Sasuke answered confidently.

“You didn’t kill me the last time we fought,” Naruto stated calmly able to feel Mikoto’s chakra growing stronger.

“I left you alive on a whim,” Sasuke countered. “This time it’ll be different.”

“It will,” Naruto said before flying across the water they were standing upon. He could see Sasuke’s eye widened in surprise at the speed with which he closed the gap. He managed to get his head out of the way of the punch that Naruto threw, but was hit by the aura that followed. Sasuke skipped across the water like a thrown pebble, and just as he managed to get his feet under him was sent flying the opposite way as Naruto appeared behind him.

Sasuke recovered, in time to avoid the next blow, but folded around the kick Naruto delivered to his stomach. Sliding over the water, he wondered how it was Naruto was pounding so mercilessly. After he had defeated the blond at the Valley of the End he had left confident in his own superiority. Yet, as most people tended to do he had rewritten history to believe he had faced Naruto at his best. What he had failed to realize and was just beginning to was that the bond that Naruto had tried so hard to protect had also forced him to hold back as well. While threatening to bring a person back by breaking his bones was one thing, actually caring it out was another. Sasuke though, having desired to destroy that bond wasn’t so hampered.

Understanding that he had likely now succeeded, his eyes opened wide as Naruto appeared before him in a red flash and delivered a crushing blow to his stomach that sent him hurtling to the lake’s bottom. Able to see Naruto staring down at him and feeling the anger that being so easily manhandled caused within him he activated the Mangekyō Sharingan that he had awakened after learning the truth about Itachi from Tobi.

Upon doing so he spotted the seal that Naruto had applied to him when he had hit him the second time and ran his fingers through deep enough to draw blood to break up the symbol. Deciding Naruto had enjoyed his way long enough he propelled himself to the surface.

Naruto leapt away as the water exploded out from where Sasuke appeared. Pulling his sword, Sasuke laughed manically as he said, “Good! I was hoping you’d give me a fight.”

Naruto felt a measure of concern as Sasuke focused on him and revealed his evolved Sharingan. The Jinchuriki felt a genjutsu being placed on him, but it faded as his mother disrupted his flow of chakra. Dodging out of the way of Sasuke’s sword thrust, he could see the surprise at his genjutsu’s failing. He leapt back as Sasuke swiped at him again, so reaching into his pouch pulled the chakra blades Shikamaru had given him. Channeling his chakra into them, the blond charged Sasuke throwing a punch of his own which the Uchiha avoided completely able to see the extended range of the blades.

Sasuke quickly closed the distance bringing his blade down in an attempt to cleave him from shoulder to hip. Naruto caught the blade on the edge of his, and then slammed his head into Sasuke’s causing him to roll back. Feeling the bruise forming from where Naruto’s headband had impacted Sasuke glared at him from a crouched position before shouting, “That’s enough!”

Blood began leaking from his eye as the black flames of Amaterasu began to form on the spot of Naruto’s chest he was focusing on. The jinchuriki quickly pulled a tri-prong kunai as he stashed one of his chakra blades. He threw the kunai away from him towards Sasuke. Teleporting to it after it had passed behind the Uchiha, he brought down the chakra blade he still wielded, but despite holding one hand to his eye, Sasuke managed to raise the other to parry the blow.

Sasuke lashed out with a kick that caught Naruto in the chest pushing him back as the Uchiha then quickly leapt away. Both combatants stared at each other hard, before Naruto’s gaze softened slightly. A note of pleading entered his voice as he said, “Sasuke, please stop. The only place this path is going to lead you is to darkness and despair. Whatever crimes you can lay at Konoha’s feet, it didn’t give you the right to kill those Kumo-nin. Or, to sit back and do nothing as those white freaks killed the Daimyo’s guards.”

Sasuke’s glare hardened as he said, “Yet you excuse what your precious village has done to my clan.”

“Your clan was preparing to rebel and take over Konoha by force,” Naruto said his calmness adding to the Uchiha’s rage. “I can’t say they were right. But neither can I say they were wrong. They did what they had to do to protect the village. Itachi felt the same…”

“Argh!” Sasuke screamed as his body was coated in a purple chakra that began to take the shape of a skeletal figure. “I told you not to speak of Itachi like you knew him. Your damn village’s happiness was bought by Uchiha blood. A blood debt that I intend to see repaid in full. Staring with yours!”

The incomplete Susanoo raised a sword it held in its left arm which it attempted to bring down on Naruto. The Jinchuriki leapt back and holding his hand out began to form a Rasenshuriken. Staring at Sasuke, who was slowly approaching seeming unconcerned by the jutsu he had created he said, “Good-bye Sasuke,” feeling a single tear leak out of his eye.

Naruto hurled the Rasenshuriken which Sasuke attempted to cut with Susanoo’s sword. The two jutsu clashed, forcing Sasuke to try and hold the jutsu at bay having his jutsu add a second hand to the hilt of its blade. However, Naruto’s jutsu continued to overpower him so when the Rasenshuriken hit he shouted, “Naruto!!!”

Sasuke’s Sharingan couldn’t keep up with the sheer number of attacks that began to chip away at his incomplete Susanoo. Eventually though it broke down in several places causing him to scream in pain as it felt like his very cells were ripped to shreds.

Naruto lost sight of Sasuke in the aftermath of his jutsu as it released its power. When it ended a large crater appeared which soon filled with the water that had been pushed aside. As the lake settled down, he saw a body float to the surface and was surprised as Sasuke stared at him. Naruto noticed that the light of one of his eyes seemed to have faded as Sasuke raised a shaking hand as if to still strike him down. “T-this isn’t over…I won’t be finished by this.”

Naruto wanted to tell him to just rest, but then a figure appeared just behind Sasuke. Tobi looking down at the beaten Uchiha and said, “What a waste.” Picking Sasuke up and throwing him over his shoulder the masked man congratulated the blond, “You may have won this day. But as I told your father, sooner or later the power of the nine-tails will be mine.”

“It’ll never be yours,” Naruto replied, “I’ll always be there to stop you.”

“We’ll see,” Tobi replied before warping away.

He glared at the spot for a moment before hearing, “Naruto!” He looked up to see Ino standing in the hole he had made waving happily. Feeling the anger he had for Tobi melting as a result of her bright smile he knew it wasn’t a matter of if they would stop the masked man but when. Moving to check on Mikoto he felt saddened at the lost of his bond to Sasuke, but realized it would have been selfish to hold onto at the expense of his other ones. Glad he would be able to keep his promise to Sakura this time around. He began to worry about why Yugito was emitting such a murderous intent.

Next Chapter: Reunion

Author’s Note: Well this chapter quickly ballooned into a thirty-five thousand word monster. But I was really psyched to write this one, so thanks as always for everybody that takes the time to review. Now considering some of the remarks I got from the last one I hope this fight was more to everyone liking. The reason I didn’t make Naruto such a huge factor of the Pain Invasion was because I wanted to highlight the other characters’ growth as a result of their bond with Naruto. I mean one thing that kind of annoys me in most manga is that you have all these amazing characters, but outside of the protagonist and the antagonist everyone else remains painful locked in their current power levels so that as greater and greater threats appear they get pushed further and further to the side. I wanted to show that while Naruto and Naruko’s appearance made the outcome appear sooner there was a real possibility Konoha could have fought Pain off by themselves.
*]
[*As to the developments that happened to Kurenai, well as somebody pointed out it cleared the way for her to become a part of Naruto’s harem. That’s also the reason for what happened to her child as well. I mean as I’ve stated before, people have this rosey idea of what a baby is. But, can anyone honestly picture a single mother spending her nights wilding out with Naruto and his other lovers? Plus, as this chapter shows if I’m going to take her to a point where possibly joining the Harem is possible it would have to be after going through an extremely dark period. Losing Asuma would be bad, but with the child, as in the manga she manages just fine. I don’t think I need to explain much more than that.

*]
[*Also, when I post the next chapter I will be closing the poll on my Fanfiction.net account. If you want your vote counted for who will appear in Eroninja 2 please vote as soon as possible. I’ve decided to take the top five in the rankings. I’ve also made a few of my own choices. A few days after the chapter is posted I’ll be posting a new one. What people will be voting on should be apparent at the end of the Reunion chapter.

*]
[*Well as always you can PM at Fanfiction.net or reach me at my Deviantart account. I may at some point start posting on Fanfiction.net but it will depend on whether or not a few of the stories I’ve seen pop up stay. But regardless new material will contuniue to be posted on FicWad with Adultfanfiction serving as the backup sight where stuff gets posted after I get the reviews that keep me going.

*]
[*Finally as promised here is a list of some of the upcoming chapters. The ????? marked ones are the ones I don’t want people gleaming what might be happening as a result of the title. So until next time take care, Sincerely the Lemon Sage.

*]
[*Chapter 42: Reunion

*]
[*Chapter 43: Blast from the Past Arc: Mito

*]
[*Chapter 44: Blast from the Past Arc: Guren

*]
[*Chapter 45: ???????

*]
[*Chapter 46: Blast from the Past Part Duex: Toka Senju

*]
[*Chapter 47: Target: Samui

*]
[*Chapter 48: Blast in the Past: Sara

*]
[*Chapter 49: ??????

*]
[*
Chapter 50: Target: Fuka
Sign up to rate and review this story