Categories > Anime/Manga > Yami no Matsuei > Venus Butterfly

Newbie Shinigami

by Noizchild 0 reviews

Kyosuke's story continues and he finds himself in Meifu with an offer that could keep him close to his family.

Category: Yami no Matsuei - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Humor - Characters: Watari - Published: 2013-08-08 - 536 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter Nine: Newbie Shinigami:

"Huh?" I asked, "What just happened?" I looked at my fingertips. Am I… dead?

"Correct!" I heard over my head. I looked up and saw the glow of candles in front of me. The bright lights nearly blinded me so much that I had to shield my eyes. It was then that I remembered what happened moments before. I died in that train crash as it sped off of the tracks and careened into the wall. The last thing I saw was blood before it got dark. The images wouldn't stop playing in my mind as I shook my head.

"No," I murmured. "What about my family? I can't leave them behind!" I tried to see through the many lit candles ahead of me. "Can't I go back?" I asked.

"I'm sorry," the voice told me, "I can't return you to your old life." My heart sank when I heard that. I shook my head.

"No," I mumbled.

"I'm sorry," the voice told me. My hands began to shake as I went pale.

"But," I murmured, "But what about my family? Who will take care of them?" A soft breeze blew by me. I felt a pair of hands embrace me from behind.

"I can help you there," a small voice whispered, "Just answer one question for me." I drew my eyes shut.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Why should I make you a shinigami?" it asked, "You'll have to bring in more dead like yourself. Tearing them away from their families and lovers, can you live with that?" I never could lie in life and I wasn't going to start now.

"No," I admitted.

"No?" the voice asked. I shook my head.

"No," I repeated, "I don't have the heart to do it."

"Then tell me why," it ordered. I only have one answer in mind.

"My family," I said.

"Your family?" I heard it ask. I swallowed as I gathered my thoughts.

"My family is my motive for going on," I answered. "Even in death I want to watch over them, so, please, let me find a way to stay by them." The hands released my body in silence. The candlelight dimmed to reveal two men in fancy suits.

"Come with us," the first one replied. I watched them walk down the hall. I followed behind rather confused. We didn't speak for the whole trip. I looked around unsettled.

"Hey, where exactly are we going?" I muttered to their backs. I didn't get an answer from either one. I lowered my eyes to the floor.

"Okay," I mumbled. The hall darkened behind us. /Creepy/, I thought as I looked around at where the walls should have been. We came up to a door at the end of the hall. The men saw me inside. I bowed my head at them in the doorway.

"Thanks, I guess," I mumbled. I walked inside when they said nothing. My interview didn't last long; it felt like an actual job interview. I answered a few questions the higher-ups gave me and got assigned to Kyoto under Watari Yutaka's guidance. The best part about this deal so far? I get to be near my family in Kyoto.
Sign up to rate and review this story