Categories > TV > Doctor Who > An Unexpected Journey

Back to Where it all Began, or Ended.

by TheDoctorsTARDISXO 0 reviews

The gang have arrived at their destination. Can they stop the Jardane and save Kayden before it's too late? Grab on to your hats kiddies, it's about to go nuclear!

Category: Doctor Who - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Sci-fi - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2013-08-13 - 3382 words

0Unrated
A word from our sponsors: "HOWDY FOLKS THIS MESSAGE IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY STEVEN MOFFAT AND THE CHAPS AT THE BBC. THAT'S RIGHT PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THEY OWN DOCTOR WHO." ~XO TheDoctorsTARDISXO

New York: the city that never sleeps. That old saying still rings true even here, fifty billion years into the future. This wasn't the first time I was here though, oh no. I've been here before on the day that everything changed for me. My life, my future, my everything. I never knew how I'd feel being back here again after four years. This was after all the same city where I became a Time Lady, where I learned that I was to be a pawn in an alien race's plot to destroy the Doctor. There was no rhyme or reason to it, to why this race would want one man dead. The Doctor told Amy, Rory, and I all about the Jardane during our last four weeks of reconnaissance. They are an old race, not as old as the Time Lords but quite up there in terms of being pompous. They took it upon themselves to declare the Doctor an enemy and felt the need to dispose of him in the only way they knew how: through a companion. It is well known all throughout the history of time and space that the Doctor does not travel alone. What other way is there to get to a man who has no well known weaknesses than through his companions? I was the unfortunate soul to draw the short straw in that regard. I was, after all, a "Daughter of the Earth". I was an easy target and the Jardane did succeed in their plot, well almost. They did manage to turn me into a Time Lady after all but the Doctor managed to save me before they molded me into the super weapon against him that I was to become.

I looked over at my Doctor now as we navigated the back alleys of New York in the worst rainstorm I have ever witnessed. Thunder boomed near deafening levels it seemed and when the lightning struck, it lit entire city blocks up like a Christmas tree. There was something so ominous and foreboding about being back in this city. Something was going to happen to us tonight, this storm served as our warning. The Doctor knew it too, I could tell it by the frown playing around the corners of his mouth and the worried expression he was now much more apt to wearing. I did not like seeing him like this so, how can I put this, do I dare say afraid? His eyes scanned every nook and cranny of every alley we passed. I just wish I knew what exactly it was that we were looking for.

"Doctor?" Amy Pond murmured softly, her Scottish kin thick as she seemed to worry about making him cross. The littlest things made him very cross lately, "What is it we're exactly looking for? I mean it's been four weeks now. We're practically out of time. Tonight's the night the prophecy is supposed to come true."

"Amy's right, Doctor." Rory Williams, Rory the Roman, agreed with his wife, "Is it even safe for Kayden to be here? This could be a trap set up by the Jardane to reclaim Kayden and finish what they started."

The Doctor just ignored them, too focused on scanning alleyways and refusing to admit that they were indeed right. I alone saw the stiffening of his shoulders at the sound of his friends mentioning the prophecy. He knew exactly what today was, but stubbornly refused to admit it to himself. Tonight was the High Holy Night of Prim according to the people on the planet Prime Sigma One. Tonight was truly the night for the prophecy to come true. I was going to kill the Doctor unless we stopped the Jardane before it was too late.

"Hey guys, it's going to be alright," I said to them between booms of thunder and crashes of lightning, forever trying to remain the optimist, "I'm fine. I'm not going to hide from this for the rest of my life you know. I'm done with running and I'm very much done with hiding. We'll find a way to end this once and for all."

We turned down yet another dark and spooky alleyway in the forever twisting maze that was New York. There was something off about this specific alley. As soon as we had turned the corner the hair at the nape of my neck stood on end despite the heavy downpour of rain, and goosebumps spread across my flesh. The Doctor and the Ponds noticed something as well for the Doctor had his sonic screwdriver out clutched in his left hand, and Amy and Rory were standing closer to me in a more protective stance.

"I know you're here," The Doctor finally spoke in a voice that was quite menacing very much like the Oncoming Storm indeed, "you might as well show yourself, no use in hiding. Know that I WILL find a way to stop you, and know that you CANNOT have her. She is under MY protection and I will stop you before you harm her again."

Amy, Rory, and I glared into the darkness of the alley that stretched out before us trying to see just who it was the Doctor was addressing. A flash of lightning illuminated the entire alley a moment later revealing a figure deep within the shadows. My breath hitched in my throat as I recognized the shape in front of us. Amy took my hand in hers and held it tight as the Doctor moved putting himself in the path between me and the figure. This was it; they knew I was here now. They really would stop at nothing to destroy the Doctor. This race was so fueled by their hatred of the last Time Lord that nothing was going to stop them for fulfilling their prophecy.

"Jardane." I whispered as another ominous clap of thunder shook the very ground we stood on.

"My dear Doctor I must thank you for returning our precious pet to us." The figure spoke to us from the shadows never moving, biding his time as it were. "You took her away from us far too soon the last we met, a mistake I am sure we will not make again. Your end is fast approaching, Time Lord, soon you will be nothing but a rapidly fading memory across all of time and space."

The Doctor's hand clenched tighter around the sonic screwdriver as the Jardane spoke, mocking him. I knew the Doctor was already thinking of millions of different ways for us to escape. I just hoped he thought up a plan quickly before the Jardane attacked. I was wrong in the end of course. There was no time for the Doctor to play hero. Deep within the shadowy confines of the alley the Jardane pressed a button on a remote control and the four of us were enveloped in a bright, hot green light. I still clenched Amy's hand within mine, and reached out to grab the Doctor's hand as Rory took hold of Amy's free hand. The light that enveloped us became brighter and hotter until finally we felt our feet leave the ground and vanished from that alley with a flash of lightning behind us.

We came to moments later deep beneath the streets of New York. My vision was clouded as I struggled to me feet, helped up by the Doctor and I shook my head giving myself a moment to adjust. When I finally realized where it was we were, my breath expelled rapidly from my lungs like I had just been punched. I know this place; it's haunted me for four years now. This place was in my dreams, it clouded almost every memory that I had with the previous incarnation of my Doctor. The laboratory, the Jardane laboratory where I became a Time Lady, where my travels with the Doctor were put cruelly to an end is where we stood now. I was shivering and shaking unsure if it was caused by being back in this horrible place or the fact that I was soaked all the way to my bones from the rain. I'd put my money on it being this place. The Doctor did not say anything, he just kind of held me too him until the shakes passed. I guess he just couldn't trust himself to say anything at that moment. By the look on his face and the fierce set of his jaw I knew he was going to say nothing pleasant anytime soon. Amy and Rory were looking at us expectantly now, just waiting on which Time Lord was going to come up with the clever plan about getting us out of here.

"Where are we?" Amy sighed already so used to ending up in odd places with the Doctor.

"We're ah, underground. About a mile or so below the streets of New York. This place is the Jardane laboratory. It's where I became a Time Lady four years ago, and I'm guessing where I'm going to kill the Doctor. You know, unless we get the hell out of here." I responded already wracking my brain trying to remember how we managed to escape last time.

"Right, okay, so, onward then before they catch us?" Rory joked trying to cut through the tension of being put in grave danger.

Of course we wasted no time navigating through the corridors of the Jardane's massive underground facility. The corridors stretched on for miles and twisted and turned with seemingly no end in sight. It felt like hours we walked through one corridor to the next or was it days? Sure as hell felt more like years to me. We all stayed close together for fear of being separated. One false turn, one slip up and you were getting lost in this place. The corridors themselves seemed to stretch on for miles. We reached one intersection and managed to trip up some alarms. Oh peachy they would surely know where to find us now.

"This way, come on run!" The Doctor commanded and turned on his heel fleeing down a corridor from which we just came.

The three of us panted as we ran as fast as our legs would carry us, our feet pounding the linoleum tiles as we struggled to keep up with the Doctor. Right, left, left again, this time straight we ran and ran as the alarms continued to blare behind us. We had finally managed to make it to another bank of corridors when the lights all of a sudden went out. Oh clever Jardane, clever clever aliens, turning out the lights to try and throw us off. Up ahead I head a slam like a door was being shut forcefully and the ground beneath my feet shook with the intensity from the sound. I stopped dead in my tracks and felt someone crash into my back nearly knocking me over. I screamed unsure of it was friend or foe and launched my fist towards whoever it was. My right hook connected with someone's chest and I heard them grunt in pain before hitting the ground. My hearts were pounding in my ears now as I wished I had the sonic screwdriver or something to use as a weapon. Just as quickly as the lights went out they came back on, revealing Rory on the floor at my feet writhing in a bit of pain. Relief swept through me like a crashing wave just as my knees gave out and I plummeted to the floor next to him.

"Ow Kayden, "Rory coughed, rubbing his sternum as he tried to take deep breaths, "That hurt. For a Time Lady you pack one hell of a punch."

I let out a very unladylike snort and helped him to his feet as soon as I gained my composure and my legs stopped feeling like jello, "I'm so sorry Rory. It was dark and I didn't know if you were friend or foe so instinct kind of took over."

"Yeah, I'll say." Rory quipped as he once again took in our surroundings. "Where are Amy and the Doctor?"

I looked around as well and realized we were stranded in the middle of a corridor all alone. Amy and the Doctor had simply vanished. About five feet ahead of us I noticed a wall that was not there before. That must have been the slamming sound I heard in the dark, that wall coming down and sealing us off from our friends, and perhaps our freedom. What a fine time to wish for some radios or any type of communication devices. Rory and I were stranded alone with nothing to use as weapons but torches. Fantastic.

"So Kayden, what's the plan?" Rory asked with the minimal amount of worry visible in his speech.

"The plan, right the plan. The plan Rory is to get the hell out of here and meet Amy and the Doctor at the TARDIS. If they get out of here before us that is definitely where they are going to head."

We were in agreement and operation get the hell out of this creepy place before something bad happened to us was in full swing. We backtracked through many of the corridors we had already come across trying to find a second exit. The alarms hand finally ceased to sound and I began to feel cautiously optimistic that the Jardane had given up on finding us. Rory and I peered into rooms as we continued on our way. Many of these rooms were empty, but some of them looked like offices and others looked like supply closets full of the most high-tech alien stuff I've seen in a while. But of course the one thing we couldn't find was a weapon. Where the hell was an armory when you needed one? As Rory and I continued down a cautiously picked path as silently as we could the hair on the nape of my neck rose and I began to have the most sinking suspicion that something was following us. I peered over my shoulder to look behind but nothing was there. Okay Kayden deep breath, deeeeeeeeeeep breath. You are starting to psych yourself out here old girl. Oh boy hadn't I wished at that moment that my mind really was playing tricks on me. The moment Rory and I rounded the next corner something shot out of a doorway and grabbed me from behind. I screamed and tried to fight against whatever had me, but I couldn't. Rory turned to me at that moment and something shimmered just into view behind him.

"Rory look out behind you!" I yelled to him in warning but it was too late. A Jardane soldier appeared behind him and knocked him unconscious. "RORY!"

"Do not fight us child. You were meant to do this. Today is the day that you murder the Doctor. It is time now." The voice of my captive spoke in my ear before holding some type of cloth against my mouth and nose. Chloroform. My vision went fuzzy and my mind went hazy and my last thought was of the Doctor and how I was going to have to kill him now.

In another part of the facility Amy and the Doctor walked along in an uncomfortable silence as they tried to find out just where Kayden and Rory had vanished. One minute the four of them were all together running for their lives to find freedom, and the next the lights had gone out, a door had slammed shut (well in this case a wall) and the two of them were nowhere to be seen. Amy's heart pounded in her chest as she struggled to keep pace with the Doctor. She hated being separated from Rory, and she worried that these Jardane creatures may have already caught them. At this very moment the Doctor looked so menacing that Amy had to silently remark to herself that she had never once been so frightened of her best friend until now. She knew that the Doctor was a ticking time bomb ready to go off at any moment, especially now that they had lost the one person whose life was in the most danger. Amy knew without a doubt that if it came to Kayden having to kill the Doctor to be free of the Jardane's control then the Doctor would sacrifice himself without even a thought.

"Doctor, you won't let her kill you, right? She can't kill you. Tell me you have some plan in that funny head of yours that saves Kayden without you dying. I won't-"

"Amelia Pond don't you dare say that you won't let her kill me. If that is what it takes to free Kayden from the Jardane then I will let her kill me. She'll be able to pilot the TARDIS, she'll take you and Rory home and she'll live on. She will be safe and I will have saved her." The Doctor snarled at her and Amy flinched just a bit, but it was enough to make the Doctor sigh and speak to her much more calmly now, "I'm sorry, Amy. I do not mean to take this out on you. I just feel like I've failed Kayden, and it's a rubbish feeling. You know I'm working on a plan to save her that doesn't require myself getting shot at or killed, but please Amy just be prepared for the worst."

Amy nodded and rapidly blinked her tears away so the Doctor wouldn't notice that she was crying for him again. He did notice though, he always noticed and he stopped walking to wipe her tears away and kiss her forehead before offering her a kind smile. He would figure out a way to save them all, but he would never tell her that he was almost certain it would be his death that saved them. The Doctor hated making Amy sad or having her worry over him so he would never ever tell her the truth. He would never tell her how he knew all along that they would end up back at this place that the night the three of them saved Kayden in that park in London was always going to happen, that it was just the beginning of a series of events that would ultimately lead them right back here. The Doctor thought back to that riddle Kayden told him aboard the TARDIS, the one that she heard from that fortune teller. He said he was rubbish with riddles but that wasn't entirely the truth. He figured it out the moment Kayden told him and he knew that they were going to be walking right into the Jardane's trap and that there was nothing to stop them. "Through the doors where the journey both ended and began." It was always leading them back here.

"Doctor what do we do? We've been wandering for ages and there's still no sign of them. How do we know the Jardane don't have them already? We could be too late to save Kayden." Amy questioned feeling her hope and optimism in finding her husband and her friend dimming with every passing moment.

The Doctor took Amy's hand in his and held it tight giving it a reassuring squeeze. "Chin up Pond, we're going to find them and stop the Jardane before it's too," His voice trailed off as the lights overhead flickered ominously. Something was not right, "late."

Screams began to echo all throughout the facility. Someone was in pain, the worst kind of pain you could possibly think off. Amy froze in place and the Doctor stiffened as the listened to what sounded like feminine screams. It sounded an awful lot like Kayden. No they couldn't have been too late; the Jardane could not have found her so fast. Amy and the Doctor shared one fear filled look between each other before racing down the corridor towards the source of the screams.
Sign up to rate and review this story