Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance

How To Save A Life

by Fronk-EyeEarOh 1 review

A oneshot based off of The Fray's song "How To Save A Life."

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Frank Iero,Gerard Way,Mikey Way - Published: 2013-08-19 - 1006 words

3Moving
This is my first shot at a fic like this, let me know if you like it and what you think :)

He was fading away. You could see that just from a quick glance at him. The sparkle that once lit his eyes up and made them shine was gone. His smile hadn't been seen for months now and he would just sit there, headphones in, ignoring the world. I sometimes would sit and wonder what he was thinking, what had made the light from his eyes disappear, what had made him the walking zombie that he had become. We used to be close; Gerard and I. We used to be inseperable. But now, he won't even acknowledge my presence. Gerard was once this wonderful, happy, bubbly man, and then all of a sudden, it's like a light went out. He refused to eat, and wouldn't drink anything besides alcohol and coffee. It wasn't just me that was worried. Mikey, Gerard's parents.. We all were. We knew that our Gee was going to do something, something that would make us lose him. And that was what we feared the most. We were afraid of losing him, and it was now my turn to try and figure out what has happened to the man we knew and loved.

-----------------------

"Gerard?" I knocked on the door, knowing it was pointless and that he wouldn't speak or even let me in. So, I let myself in. I walked down into his dark, basement-bedroom and sat down next to him. This made Gerard tilt his head up and look at me. This was the most Gerard had even done to alert someone to the fact that he was aware of their presence. "Wanna go for a drive with me?"

Gerard nodded and stood up, picking up his Ipod and headphones - the two things that he was never without nowadays-. I was honestly surprised that he agreed. I led him upstairs and out to my car, opening it for him, and we set off on our journey. It was a strained and tension filled journey, we sat in silence for most of it until I stopped the car and turned to face him.

"What's wrong, Gee? What happened?" I enquired. He looked up at me and shrugged. His mouth stayed tightly shut and he puffed up his cheeks. I'll try again, I thought to myself.

"What changed?" I pressed. Gerard quirked an eyebrow at me and I leaned forward, silently beginning to beg him to use his words. He wanted to speak, but at the same time, he didn't. That much was obvious.

"Let me drive." Gerard said simply, his voice cracking and you could hear the strain. My eyes filled with tears for a reason that I didn't quite understand.

"Gerard, we need to talk." I spoke in a stern voice, but Gerard wouldn't budge, he wouldn't speak until he got his way. I was afraid of what he would do if I let him have his way.

"If you don't give me the car, I'll just say that I'm just not the same, and you'll begin to wonder why you came."

I was honestly stunned. At this point, I was torn. I didn't know whether to give him the car, because he was in a bad place and who knew what he could do behind the wheel. But if I don't, he might not talk and this might've all been for nothing. I sighed and stepped out of the car, walking around to the passenger side and climbed in once Gerard had shifted over.

"Gee.. Talk to me." I murmured sadly. My tears had now breaking the barrier that was my eyelids and had began to make their way down my cheeks. "Gerard, you are so wonderful, I hate seeing you like this. The light has just been taken from your eyes, and we all love you and want to put it back. Let us help you."

At this point, I was praying to God that he heard me. I wanted to help him, I wanted my best friend back. I was praying so hard that Gerard listened to me. I looked up at him, startled as he started the engine and began to drive.

"Gerard. Stop." He ignored me. "Gerard, you can do one or two things, drive until you lose the road, and brake with the other ones and follow."

Gerard smirked a little at me and began to continue straight on the road straight ahead, clearly not following the other cars. Maybe that wasn't the best of ideas.

"Gerard, I know best, now turn around and take us home. Please." I pleaded with him and he just sat there, glancing at me before simply saying:

"Duck and roll." Before pushing me out of the car and swerving it, sending the car down a hill, letting it roll and roll until it eventually collided with a tree.

I started after the car and ran down, trying to find away to get into the wrecked car to get my best friend out. From the looks of things, he was unconscious. There was blood.. Oh, a lot of blood. I finally managed to kick the passengers window and climb in, gently hauling Gee out before calling an ambulance and then Mikey. Gerard was pronounced dead at the crash site.

-----------

I was curled into Mikey's side as we watched Gerard's coffin get lowered into the ground. I know that this was my fault, all I was thinking was "Where did I go wrong? I lost a friend, somewhere alone in the bitterness.."

There was several family members, friends, and collegues of Gerard's at his funeral. Each and every one of them crying and mourning the loss of and incredible man, and extraordinary talent, and the purest soul on this Earth.

Gerard, if I hadn't have let you get behind the wheel, and I had stayed up with you all night, I would've known how to save a life.
Sign up to rate and review this story