Categories > Original > Drama > Mine

Three

by immarockstarbaby 0 reviews

Category: Drama - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Humor - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2013-11-06 - 4295 words

0Unrated
I was finishing up my makeup when my phone went off. I had a message from Kayte, Mark's girlfriend, letting me know she was here. I usually got pretty wasted at Mark's cookouts so I would just catch a ride there and back. Normally I ride with Zack but he already left to pick up his...lady friend. I checked my appearance once more before heading out. I wore dark denim shorts and a simple white v-neck tshirt. My long hair was pulled into a side ponytail and kept my makeup to a minimum. I spritzed my new perfume on and hurried outside.

"Hey girl." I greeted Kayte as I got in the car and lit a cigarette.

"Hey. You look cute." She replied backing out of my driveway.

"Thanks, so do you." I smiled.

"So I guess we're meeting Zack's new girl today." She said as we stopped at a stoplight.

"Yeah I guess." I grumbled, looking out the window.

"Don't worry. You know they never last." Kayte said attempting to reassure me. She was the only one who knew how I truly felt about Zack. She and I have been friends for as long as I can remember.

"I don't know...I've just got a feeling she's different. Zack seems to be pretty smitten. She's not a fan either so that earned bonus points with him for sure." I explained feeling worse by the second.

"I wouldn't worry too much. Eventually he'll realize the right woman for him has been in front of him this whole time." She replied with a light smile. I know she was trying to make me feel better and I appreciated it but really it was only making me feel worse. I knew Zack would never see me that way.

We pulled up to Mark and Kayte's house and went around to the back yard where everyone was. I wasn't but a few moments before Zack came running up to me.

"Addy! Come on I want you to meet Maddie!" He said excitedly grabbing my hand. I forced a smile and made myself follow him over to the patio. He led me over to a girl I didn't recognize who I assumed was Maddie. My stomach wretched at the sight of her. She was beautiful. Her hair was long, blonde, and wavy. Her tan face was accented by beautiful dark blue eyes and full pink lips. Her nose was small and slightly turned up. If that wasn't enough to make me feel insecure her long legs and slim frame definetly was the icing on the cake. I suddenly felt very self conscious. "Maddie, this is my best friend Addison." Zack said introducing us. She smiled showing her perfectly white, straight teeth. Ugh seriously? This girl looks like she walked right out of a runway magazine.

"Hi. I've heard so much about you." She said extending her long slender arm out towards mine. Her nails perfectly manicured of course. Gag.

"Nice to meet you." I replied forcing a smile as I shook her hand. I glanced over at Zack who looked completely head over heels by the way he was staring at her. This only added fuel to the raging fire of insecurity swarming my insides.

"I'm gonna grab us a drink. Addy, you want one?" Zack asked. I took the hint and nodded and followed him across the lawn. "Soo, what do you think?" He asked as we dug through the cooler.

"She seems nice. Very pretty." I replied opening my beer. I made a mental note to find the liquor soon. I was definitely going to need it.

"She is isn't she? I guess I got real lucky this time. I've never met someone so beautiful. Except for you of course." He said winking at me. I couldn't stop the wide grin from spreading across my face. I just pretended he really meant that although I knew the truth. As much as this was killing me, it really did warm my heart to see Zack so happy. I know it's selfish of me to want him all to myself and secretly hope this relationship fails as the others did. I should be more supportive, or just make sure I act like it anyway.

"I'm happy for you Zee." I replied once again forcing a smile. Appearances, appearances. He grinned and pulled me into a bear hug.

"Love you." He mumbled into my hair.

"Love you more." I replied a real genuine smile adorning my lips.

"Not possible." He said holding me tighter. He let go and winked at me. He began walking back over to Maddie but Ash stopped him along the way to say something. I looked past him and saw Maddie looking at me. No, scratch that she was [i]glaring[/i] at me. I squinted my eyes to make sure I was seeing her correctly and sure enough her eyes were locked on mine in a cold stare. As soon as Zack got back to her she broke her gaze and smiled at him. I turned away and headed over to where Kayte and some of the others were sitting.

"So what do you think of Malibu Barbie?" Kayte asked as I sat down across from her and Mark.

"Seems nice." I said sipping my beer.

"More like creepy." Jackson, our best friend/rythm guitarist chimed in. We all looked at him questioningly.

"What do you mean?" Kayte asked.

"I don't know. She just gives off this weird vibe. Creeps me out." He answered taking a swig of his beer. We exchanged odd looks not really sure what to say to that.

"Well lets go check on dinner." Kayte said to me standing up. I stood as well and followed her into the kitchen. "So what do you really think?" She said as she pulled the potatoes from the oven. I sighed heavily.

"I'm totally intimidated. She's drop dead gorgeous! How am I supposed to compete with that? I don't even come close." I huffed and sat down on one of the bar stools that lined the island. Kayte rolled her eyes.

"Nonsense! You're beautiful. Zack obviously is blind or stupid. Or maybe both." She replied.

"You only say that because you're biased." I laughed.

"Don't be stupid. Just because she's Barbie's clone doesn't make her prettier than you. Plus, I saw that look she was giving you. She just met you and she's already jealous. Jackson may be onto something." She explained as she got out an angel food cake for us to decorate.

"You saw that too? I thought I was hallucinating." I answered and I helped her spread whipped cream along the cake.

"No, I definitely saw it. She's the jealous type. Don't worry about her sticking around. Once Zack figures that out he'll cut her loose. He hates jealousy, there's no way she'll be able to handle the kind of friendship you two have." She explained as she cut up the strawberries.

"I don't know..." I trailed becoming lost in thought. "I'll be right back, I gotta pee." I said heading towards the bathroom. I done my business but stopped to look in the full length mirror that hung on the back of the bathroom door. It was obvious that I'm no match for Maddie. My hair is pin straight and jet black. My complexion was much paler than hers, although I live in sunny California I don't believe in voluntarily subjecting my skin to cancer by baking myself in a bed or laying out for hours. My eyes were my favorite part of my body. They're big and bright clear green framed with thick black lashes. My lips aren't too bad either, being full and nude in color. My body is what mostly makes me feel insecure. While she's tall and thin and perfectly proportioned I'm the exact opposite. I'm much shorter, only topping out at 5'1. I don't necessarily label myself as 'fat' I've definitely curvy and much thicker. An hourglass shape if you will. My breasts are a full D cup as her are possibly a B. Well at least I've got her there haha. My stomach is flat just thicker than her rail thin one. My hips are well rounded and my legs curvy. I don't have a straight line on my body except my nose. I'm covered in tattoos while I didn't happen to notice any visible ones on her. Even our style is different. I'm more dark and rocker while she's more bright and fashion oriented. We're total opposites. They say opposites attract. No wonder Zack is so hung up on her. She's nothing like me. I sighed heavily and went back out to the kitchen where everyone was now gathered.

"Hey, where have you been?" Zack asked throwing his arm around my shoulder.

"Bathroom." I replied.

"Well now you're here we can eat! I'm starving!" He announced patting his stomach. The other guys agreed with him. Men. They're always hungry.

"That's nothing new." I laughed, teasing him.

"What can I say? I'm a growing boy." He joked. He's so adorable. Ugh, I just want to squeeze him.

"Yeah, yeah go sit down, I'll bring you your plate." I laughed and lightly pushed him and the other guys to the door. It was a tradition of ours that the women cook and make plates while the guys get to clean up after. "Hey Maddie, do you want to help us make their plates?" I asked trying to be friendly.

"Um, yeah sure." She replied glancing at Zack nervously.

"Don't worry babe, they won't bite...hard." He laughed and followed the others outside. Maddie smiled weakly at him before walking over to Kayte and I.

"Okay, here's a plate just go around and put a little bit of everything on their plates. They're not picky trust me." I said lightly handing her a plate.

"Okay." She replied. I did feel a little bad for her. She's new to everyone and the way we do things. If I was in her position, I'd feel nervous too. Even though I really hate that she's with Zack I should try and make her feel comfortable.

"So, are you having a good time? I know we get a little crazy sometimes. The guys especially. They tend to run off new people with their antics." Kayte laughed.

"Yeah, sometimes you've just got to ignore them. That's what we do. It's only when they drink do they get really obnoxious. Especially Zack." I added as I fixed the last plate.

"Um, everyone seems pretty cool. Why is it we fix their plates though? I mean can't they do it themselves?" She asked. I noticed she looked at the food with a disgusted look on her face.

"Well it's just this tradition we have. Us women will cook and make plates but the guys have to clean up." I explained.

"Yeah, we don't trust their cooking. We tried to switch it up before and Mark almost burned my kitchen down." Kayte laughed. I laughed as well remembering that day. We ended up ordering take out. The food was burned beyond recognition.

"Oh..." She replied holding a couple plates in her hands. Kayte and I picked up some as well and we headed outside. We set plates down in front of each of the guys then went back inside to make our own.

"Help yourself Maddie. There's plenty." Kayte said as she and I made our food.

"Oh um, no thanks." She answered looking down at the food.

"Oh, I'm sorry. If you don't like anything here I'm sure I can find something else for you. I just assume everyone likes grilled food." Kayte offered.

"No, that's okay...it's just...so many calories." She said sounding unsure. I couldn't help but laugh. So she's one of those diet freaks. Well, she's definitely in the wrong house.

"Calories? Well, that's probably the furthest thing from everyone's minds around here." I joked.

"I've noticed..." She said turning her nose up a bit. Looking at us as if we were whales. Kayte and I looked at her shocked. Maddie turned and walked back outside while Kayte and I just gaped at each other.

"Oh my God, no she didn't." Kayte said in disbelief.

"Uh yeah, that just happened." I replied. All my thoughts of trying to make her feel welcome and accepted just flew out the window. Fuck that shit.

"I hate her already." Kayte growled heading towards the door.

"I'm way ahead of you." I replied following her. We sat down with the others and began to eat. Maddie and Zack sat across from Kayte and I. Maddie looked absolutely repulsed so I made sure to be extra sloppy as I ate. Hey, I've got to get entertainment somewhere. The guys had already pretty much devoured everything on their plate. I was starting to wonder if they were going to inhale the silverware too.

"Dessert?" Zack asked looking at me hopeful. I laughed as I took a sip of my beer.

"One or two pieces?" I asked referring to the cake.

"Just one." He answered. I nodded and went to grab his plate but Maddie snatched it first.

"I'll get it, you finish...eating..." She said shooting yet another disgusted look at my plate. Kayte and I exchanged glances as if to say 'what the hell'.

"She's so sweet." Zack said with a goofy smile. Kayte choked on her drink making me laugh in response. I patted her back.

"She's...something..." I mumbled faking a smile.

"I want dessert too!" Jackson exclaimed as Maddie set Zack's plate back down in front of him.

"Go get it." Maddie said taking her seat next to Zack. Jackson just stared at her like she had grown three heads. I could see him begin to say something that was more than likely not going to be very friendly so I stood up quickly.

"I got it babe. How many pieces?" I asked giving him a look that said 'calm down'. He smiled brightly at me.

"Two please." He answered. I nodded and took his plate. As I cut his pieces, Kayte came in holding two other plates.

"Can you believe the nerve of that woman? How rude!" Kayte whispered as she put a piece of cake on each plate.

"I know!" I exclaimed. We both bit our tongues and went back outside to give the guys their dessert. Everyone finished eating in a comfortable silence and then the guys gathered up all the plates taking them inside to clean up.

"So, Maddie, what is it you do for a living?" I asked opening another beer.

"I'm an aspiring actress." She replied drinking from her water bottle.

"Of course..." Kayte said under her breath. I stifled a laugh.

"Well what about the two of you? Surely you don't have to work Kayte, Mark makes enough to take care of you right?" Maddie said leaning her forearms against the table.

"True he does, but I work for an advertisement company. He works hard and so do I. I think it's fair that we take care of each other." She explained.

"Oh, well if I was in your shoes I'd just let him take care of me." Maddie replied.

"Well all the guys work very hard for everything they have. In the beginning it was them who helped us all get onto our feet. So, it's only right that we work to contribute as well." I explained. That's the truth too. When the guys got their first big success they helped me with start up money to open my shop and get my house. I paid them back of course.

"Oh well...what is it you do Addison? Zack mentioned something about hair." Maddie asked me.

"I'm a makeup artist. I do hair and photography as well. I run 'Punk Cuts' on the downtown strip." I replied.

"Oh..that's nice..do you live off of Zack as well?" She asked. I was taken aback by her question. How dare she even think such a thing.

"Um, no I don't. I'm successful all on my own. Sure he helped me in the beginning but like I said before I help him out as well. Not just with money, but while he was away on tour he needed to find a house and had me pick one out for him. Anything they need while they're gone I or Kayte take care of." I explained.

"So of course you pick a house right next door to yourself." She said in a bit of a hateful manner. I forced a smile secretly wishing I could knock her head off.

"Well, he like the property. I picked out exactly what he wanted." I explained.

"Addy and Zack are pretty much inseperable. They've always been that way since they were kids." Kayte said taking up for me.

"Yeah, he's mentioned how close the two of you are. I hope you're not the type who likes to interfere with his personal life." She said directing her words towards me.

"No, I don't but pretty much whatever goes on in one of our lives affects all of us. We're a family." I replied hoping she was understanding that I'm not easily gotten rid of.

"Right. So Zack didn't mention you had a boyfriend. I assume you do of course?" She asked. Something told me she already knew the answer to that question.

"No I don't actually. Between my job, and taking care of the guys I really don't have time for dating." I answered finishing off my beer.

"I'm sure if you were dating one of them you'd have time right? I mean, only Mark and Zack are taken. Haven't you ever considered the others before? They're all attractive men." She said cocking her eyebrow slightly.

"Well we've all been best friends for years. I guess I've just never seen any of them in that way." I replied looking at her strangely. What is she trying to get at?

"Really? So you've never considered [i]any[/i] of them as a potential boyfriend?" She pressed. I knew what she was really asking. She wants to know if Zack and I have had a past relationship. I wish I could say yes, I wish I could tell her how much I hate her attitude. However out of respect I choose my words carefully.

"Well...maybe I have." I replied narrowing my eyes at her slightly. Okay, I really couldn't help myself with that one. She glared at me and began to open her mouth to say something but was cut off when the guys all stumbled outside. Mark holding a half drank bottle of whiskey.

"Hey! Bonfire!" Mark exclaimed with a slight hiccup. Kayte and I started laughing.

"Oh geeze. This is going to be a long night." Kayte sighed standing up.

"Come on slow poke!" Zack yelled grabbing me up and throwing me over his shoulder before heading off towards the fire pit that was towards the back part of the yard. I shrieked in laughter and slapped his ass playfully.

"Don't drop me Zackary!" I yelled. He laughed and gently sat me down on one of the chairs that sat around the pit.

"Here babe. I got this for you." He said handing me a half pint of coconut rum.

"Aww my favorite." I said smiling up at him. Maddie walked up beside us with a frown on her face that quickly disappeared when Zack turned to face her.

"Come on baby, we can sit over here." He said putting his arm around her and leading her to a seat that was beside me. He sat down pulling her into his lap and kissing her gently on her lips. I groaned inwardly and opened my bottle immediately downing about half of it.

Later that night the fire was still growing strong and the guys ended up getting marshmallows to roast over the fire. We laughed and cut up as we told funny stories from the past as we were growing up.

"Addy, do you remember the time you and Zack thought it was a good idea to spray paint that cop's car?" Jackson laughed loudly.

"Oh yeah! That was our worst idea ever!" I laughed as I popped a blackened marshmallow into my mouth.

"Yeah it was! We got busted and was held in that waiting cell until Mom picked us up. She was so pissed!" Zack chuckled.

"Why would you spray paint a cop car? Maddie piped in looking rather bored. Zack just shrugged.

"I don't know. Just being stupid teenagers." He replied.

"You dared me to remember! He knows I can't back down from a dare!" I said laughing making Zack laugh as well. I glared playfully at him and chucked a marshmallow at his head.

"That's true! Zack was always daring her to do stupid shit and she always did it to prove she was just as tough as us guys. She's a trooper that's for sure." Jackson said as he dumped the rest of the marshmallows into his mouth.

"So if he dared you to jump off a bridge, you would do it?" She asked in a hateful tone. I glanced over at Kayte who was looking her at her like she was crazy.

"Probably." I replied faking a smile. Which is true by the way.

"That's stupid." She remarked. I ignored her knowing this wasn't the best time to start something with her.

"Zack and Addy always got into trouble together. Every teacher dreaded having them in the same class." Mark laughed.

"Dude! Mr. Gates hated us!" Zack bellowed suddenly. All of us excluding Maddie burst out laughing remember the hell that teacher put us through.

"Only because you terrorized him!" I laughed.

"Like you were any better!" Zack replied. He finished his beer and threw it into the fire. "Hey will you go grab me another beer? Please, you're closer." He said with a pouty face.

"I guess. Only because I love you." I joked as I stood up and headed inside. I went to the refridgerater and grabbed his beer. As I turned around I jumped when I saw Maddie standing right behind me.

"I've got it thanks." She snapped grabbing the beer from my hand. She stomped back outside. What is this girl's problem? There's definitely something off about her. I walked over to the doorway and looked out at everyone. Zack and Maddie were getting cozy kissing each other while Kayte and Mark were doing the same thing. Ash and Todd were passed out while Jackson was talking on the phone. I suddenly felt alone and a bit upset. I found myself wishing I had someone to cuddle with. Normally Zack and I would be the ones cuddled up and making each other laugh but not this time. Everyone was occupied so that just kind of left me to be to myself. I decided now was the best time to call it a night. I went upstairs to a spare bedroom where I knew I had clothes stored in one of the dressers. I quickly changed into some cotton shorts leaving my tshirt on as is. I crawled under the thick comforter and laid there thinking about Zack as usual. This Maddie has got me worried. Not just about how long she's going to be around but more of her intentions with Zack. The way she was talking earlier she is just looking for someone to take care of her. I know this is going to be hard trying to get along with her. She doesn't even seem to be trying to hide her dislike for me.

My thoughts were interrupted when the bedroom door opened.

"There you are. Why did you come inside?" Zack asked as he sat down on the bed.

"Tired. I've been up since eight this morning, and it's after two now." I explained only half lying. I really was getting tired.

"Well why didn't you tell me you was going to bed? We always tell each other goodnight." He said sounding a bit hurt.

"Well you were sort of...busy...so was everyone else. Sorry." I replied feeling kind of dumb for not telling him first.

"Addison..." He groaned eyeballing me suspiciously. The downside of Zack knowing me so well was that he knew when I was lying. I can't hide anything from him which again makes me wonder if he knows how I truly feel about him but doesn't ever want to bring it up. Not that I blame him.

"Look, I don't want to talk about it now. I just want to get some sleep." I yawned. He studied me for a moment. I knew he was trying to decide if he was satisfied with my answer.

"Fine, but we will talk about this tomorrow. Got it?" He said looking at me seriously. I smiled and leaned over to hug him. He wrapped his arms tightly around me then pulled back and kissed my forehead. "Love you." He said as I laid down.

"Love you more." I replied looking up at him.

"Not possible." He smiled and headed out the door closing it quietly. I turned over and awaited the tears to come like I knew they would. They always greet me every night that Zack comes into my mind which is all the time. I wish I could just stop loving him. I wish I loved anyone but him. I'd give anything to ease this pain even slightly. Although I keep telling myself his happiness is worth it, sometimes I don't think it's too selfish to want a little bit of relief.
Sign up to rate and review this story