Categories > Celebrities > Metallica > Lion's Share

Spoil The Atmosphere

by Cerilla 0 reviews

[Megadeth: the early days]

Category: Metallica - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Humor - Published: 2014-04-06 - Updated: 2014-04-09 - 1849 words - Complete

0Unrated
Author's notes: I'm not a native english speaker, but I always try to do my best.

Warnings: Het, OFC. It's a Megadeth fic, so you're gonna see sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, foul language and some violence too, but nothing so extreme/graphic to deserve the nc17 rating. (By the way, does anybody know how to properly request a new category? I couldn't do it, so I'm putting this into the Metallica fold; I hope you don't mind).

~*~

The loud, rhythmic sound of a bass guitar resonated through every room of the small apartment, pounding the walls, the floor, the ceiling and infiltrating into the skull of a very sleepy, very hungover Dave Mustaine. The young man covered his ears in attempt to block the throbbing noise outside his head, to no avail; his brain felt like under the assault of a vicious blacksmith hammering at full force.

He rolled out of bed, trying to locate the origins of the offending sound. When he realized it was coming from the apartment beneath his, Dave stomped violently on the floor, with the only result of aggravating his headache.
Pissed off and tired, the young man opened the kitchen window and grabbed a flower pot, resolute in making the noise stop.
“Shut up!” He screamed at the top of his lungs, and threw the pot downward, hitting the air conditioner of the apartment below, which broke with a loud crash.

The music stopped immediately and Dave, pleased with himself, dragged his feet beck to the bedroom, planning to sleep for a few hours more.
“Ugh, my head. The hell was that noise?”
The sound of an unknown voice startled Dave, who looked at his bed and saw a naked woman rolling over in it. She seemed to be waking up against her will too, and very much displeased with the loud wake-up call.

Oh, right, I picked her up in a bar yesterday. Dave remembered. They had drunk, then had sex, then he had drunk some more while she was asleep. What's her name again? Well, it doesn't matter.
As he tried to think of a way for making her leave without causing too much of a fuss, someone knocked on his door.
If it's the bass playing asshole coming here to complain for his air conditioner, I swear I'll tear him a new one.
Dave put on a pair of jeans and his best scowl and opened the door, revealing two guys, eighteen at best, who, in Dave's eyes, were like the most ineffective wannabe rebels he had ever seen; one had long brown hair and the other bore a certain resemblance to a turkey.
“Hey,” said one of them, “do you know where we can buy some cigarettes?”
“There's a store at the corner.” Said Dave, before slamming the door on their faces.

The two boys looked at each other, a little dumbfounded.
“Well, that wasn't very friendly.”
“He's the same guy I saw two days ago on the landing. Told you he looked like a real rocker, doesn't he?”
“Yeah, one who doesn't want to be bothered. Maybe we should come back another time.”
“Nonsense, we just need a different approach. Let's try again.”

Dave went back to the bedroom to check on the woman, but she wasn't there anymore; the noise of running water from the bathroom signalled him that she was probably taking a shower. A minute had barely passed before there was another knocking on his door.

Ok, this time I'm going to punch them straight in the face. Thought Dave, before swinging the door open and growling a menacing “What again?” in the kids' faces.
“Uh, we... well, we were wondering... are you old enough to buy beer?”
Dave looked at them for a couple of seconds. The two guys were smiling at him, looking like kids attempting to make a new friend at the playground.
“My man, you've just said the magic word. Give me a sec.”
He picked up a t-shirt and the house keys; the stranger woman was still in the bathroom, but he didn't give her a second thought before going out.
“So, my name's Dave. Who are you guys and why were you playing bass that early in the morning?”
“I'm Greg” said the turkey-like dude, “and this is David, the actual offender.”
“It wasn't that early, it was 10:15.” David tried to excuse himself, “Our condominium regulations say that...”
“Our what?!”
“Uh, our condominium regulations...”
“You mean we have such a thing?”
“Well, yeah.”
“You learn new things every day.” commented Dave sarcastically. “Are you guys new? I don't think I've seen you before.”
“Because you're one to care about getting on well with the neighbours.” David joked.
“All right, I don't know a single person who lives here. But then again, nobody has ever waken me up playing bass before.”

They bought a case of Heineken and went back to Dave's apartment. The unknown woman was now sitting on the couch, sipping a glass of water.
There was a moment of embarrassment, as Dave didn't bother to greet her or introduce her to the new guests. He didn't like his one night stands to hang around in the morning, and considered that the right occasion to make the nameless woman want to leave. She appeared to be unfazed by his lack of manners, though, and just sat there drinking.

David cleared his voice and decided to introduce Greg and himself to the mysterious young lady; if anything, just to break the awkward silence.
“Hey, hi, we're Greg and David, the ones who probably woke you up today.”
“Oh, so you were the cause of that goddamn noise.”
“Well, I was. I mean, I was practicing my bass. I swear I'm usually not that bad to listen to.” David laughed feebly.
“No, I didn't mean to offend you. You're just not the best alarm clock, let's put it this way.”
“Want a beer?” asked Greg, offering her a bottle.
“God, no. Not on an empty stomach. I could go with some coffee, but there's none here.”
“I'm sure you have plenty at your house.” Intervened Dave. She was getting way too comfortable for his taste. “Right, uh...”
“Maria.” She said, smiling at him. She wouldn't have minded leaving, but the guy was being such an ass she decided to wait a little more, just to spite him a bit. “I'm in no hurry anyway. Do you mind if I smoke...” She trailed off, pretending not to remember Dave's name.
“Dave.” He said, pursing his lips.
“I could do with a cigarette.” said Greg, “I mean, if it's ok for you.” he then added, looking at Dave.
“Whatever.” Said the older man, rolling his eyes.
“You guys don't know each other?” asked a confused David.
“No, we just met yesterday and spent the night together.” explained Dave. David was baffled; what kind of people have sex and don't even remember the other's name?

“Anyway, we've just met Dave too. We moved in here from Minnesota a few days ago. David is here to frequent the Bass Institute of Technology. I'm a musician too, I play guitar.” Said Greg, lightning one of Maria's cigarettes. “Also, we want to get into the L.A. music scene.”
“Why the L.A. scene? Are you into glam metal?” asked Dave suspiciously. Had he just invited a pair of posers into his house? They didn't look like that, with their cheap leather jackets and bell bottoms.
“We do like metal.” answered David, “I don't know what you mean by 'glam'; we like mainly the British bands, you know, Iron Maiden, Motörhead, Venom... but also stuff like Kiss and Van Halen. It was 'Running with the Devil' I was actually playing before.”
“We've picked Los Angeles because it seems the coolest place to make it big.”
“I wouldn't say that.” replied Dave, drinking his beer, “L.A. is full of fake metal bands. All of those phony losers like Mötley Crüe, Ratt, Quiet Riot are a real disgrace; they're fucking everywhere, with their lame poppy music. They call it metal just because there's a few guitar solos here and there. And they're all so fucking flamboyant.” He winced. “L.A. is not as cool as you may think.”

“But there's a great hardcore punk scene here.” Maria commented, “You have seminal bands like Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Bad Religion, Suicidal Tendencies, The Adolescents...”
“Oh yeah, it's really great if you're a punk kid and want to play punk. But you want to start a metal band? Prepare to fight against crowds of posers.”
“You have a metal band?” asked David. “That's cool!”
Dave's face darkened, “I had a band. I was the lead guitarist.” he snarled, “We were about to record our first album, but they kicked me out without a warning. I drank too much, I was out of control, they said. Like they're any better than me. We weren't nicknamed Alcoholica just because of me.”
Greg and David were impressed; Dave was even cooler than they had originally thought. He was a real tough rocker, a musician, and he had even come close to record an album.
“I was the best member of the band, they would have gone nowhere without me.” Dave continued, “But if they think they're rid of me, they're damn wrong. I'm putting a new band together, and we're gonna play faster, harder, better then they could ever dream.”

Maria grabbed her bag and took her leave, bidding goodbye to the boys. As she left the building, she dropped her cigarette stub and sighed, feeling blue. Memories from a recent past live sneaked into her mind, pestering her for the rest of the day.

Greg and David spent the rest of the morning and the afternoon with Dave. He told them stories about his past band, Metallica, and made them listen to their demo 'No Life 'Til Leather'. The two boys listened with wonder to the wild band stories, but it was the music that really blew them away; they had never heard something so wild and brutal before.
They went back to their apartment with the promise to see Dave again the day after in the afternoon to jam together.
Greg was excited, “Man, this is our opportunity, we absolutely have to join Dave's band!”
“I don't know.” said David, “He's brilliant, but I'm not sure it's a good idea.”
“What?! What kind of talk is that? What's wrong with you?”
“It's just... I don't know if I'm fit for the part.” David sighed. “I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I have the feeling that hooking up with this guy will change our lives drastically.”
“Exactly!” exclaimed Greg, “Isn't it what you want? Bring it to the next level and become a real rockstar? Dude,we won't make it if we don't take chances.”
David nodded, admitting that Greg was right. “Think about it: heavy music, wild parties and loose women.” Greg continued with a grin, “What more can a man ask for?”
Sign up to rate and review this story