Categories > Original > Sci-Fi

The Average Girl Who Chooses The Future

by NezzSan 1 review

Jennifer is a completely average girl. Completely Average. This description will put her at the center of the world. She possesses the uncanny ability to predict or produce events that seem impossi...

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: G - Genres: Drama,Fantasy,Sci-fi - Published: 2014-05-10 - 10903 words

0Unrated


The Average Girl Who Chooses the Future

By Nezz





Prologue: The Choice



/How did it come to this/, the girl constantly asked herself. It was in the middle of the night as she stood on the roof of a forty story building. To the left of her was a group of religious fanatics, behind her blocking her exit to the stairs were a group of government officers. In front of her were minions of the richest business tycoons in the world. A few helicopters flew overhead, and who knew who those belonged to. And lastly to her right stood a single boy around her age.

Normally such a diverse group of people would never be gathered in such a place, but these were no ordinary circumstances. They all wanted the girl. To some, she was the future. To others, something of a godly figure or prophet. Some even viewed her as a simple statistic, but not just any statistic. The most important statistic in the world.

She didn't want to go with any of them. She was in a crazy panic as to what to do. The girl turned to the lone young boy.

"And what do you think?!" she shouted over the helicopters whirring overhead. "You think I'm some sort of God? A catalyst? The center of the universe? The source of the future? What do you believe in?"

The boy looked at her incredulously and then shook his head. A strange confidence emerged within him as he stared at her. He reached out his hand.

"I believe in The Choice!" he answered.

The girl had no idea what that meant. Did he mean that she was free to choose anything, she thought. She looked all around her to see the various groups closing in. "What the hell," was the last thing the girl said to herself before grabbing the boy's hand.

He smiled and a black sphere grew from a device he was holding. The sphere covered the both of them and she suddenly felt like she was falling through the ground. The girl closed her eyes tightly as she braced herself against the instant vertigo.

The motions stopped when the couple hit a grassy surface. They both opened their eyes to find that the sun was shining brightly. They were at a park.

"What just happened?" she murmured.

The boy calmly got up and began patting the grass off his clothes.

"Whew! For a second there, I was a bit worried. I mean, Idon't know what would have happened if you chose someone else. But then, Iguess it would have worked out somehow," he said, ignoring her question.

"Hey! What just happened?"

He looked at her with a big apologetic smile.

"Sorry, sorry," he said as he put his hand behind his head. A conflicted expression came over his face as he decided whether to tell her the truth or not. He resolved to do so.

"I'm a time traveler. I've come to protect you and the future of humanity... I guess?" and then he laughed.

The girl could only stare at him, dumbfounded.

"Ah, sorry again. To answer your first question, we just traveled to yesterday..." he looked up at the sun. "...afternoon I guess."

He shoved the device he was holding into his pocket and walked over to her. The boy offered a hand to her. She took it and he pulled her up.

Not letting go of her hand, he spoke. "No need to really hide myself anymore. The name is Sev."

"Uh... right. Jennifer."

He smiled. "Yup. I know. The girl with The Choice."





Chapter 1: The Average Most Averagest Person To Ever Exist Ever





The story begins with a young girl of seventeen years old. Her name was Jennifer and she lived a perfectly normal life. A completely average girl. "Completely average". This term was the reason she was never very noticeable or recognized as anything extraordinary. But at the same time, it is this term that will eventually put her at the center of the world. While making her seem unimportant, the averageness of her would soon make her the most important person in the world, maybe even of all time.

Her most fateful day started like any other day. But that day will start tomorrow. Today, she woke up in her normal home at the exact same time she woke up for the last seven years. Took the bus to school, which always took the same amount of time to get to school, regardless of the different number of passengers. And then arrived at her classroom where her three friends were waiting for her.

"I hear we're getting our tests back today," said Generic Friend#1.

"Man, I don't even want to think about it," said Indifferent Friend #2.

"I bet Jennifer got the average again. Must be nice to never get a bad grade," said Some Friend #3.

"Yeah, but it also means I never get a good grade either."

Jennifer sighed as she continued to unpack her school things. The teacher handed back their tests face down. Jennifer slowly flipped it over and saw she received a 71.8%. Normally this constituted a C- grade. She dreaded the next part as the teacher began writing on the board.

"I guess you guys did alright. Still could use a bit more work. After the curve, the average of all the scores taken was 71.8%," the Teacher said as he wrote the number down.

/Of course it is/, Jennifer thought. This is getting really creepy now.

Starting at the beginning of this year, Jennifer began seeing a strange trend with her test scores. Regardless of how much she studied or didn't study, she would achieve the average score no matter what.

In elementary and middle school, she always scored 75% or Caverage in general. That was already peculiar enough. Now she was getting the exact average down to the decimal. Jennifer groaned as she remembered how hard she studied only to find that the questions on the test coincidentally focused on topics she skimmed over.

After school ended, she made her way home to find her brother on their living room couch. He was watching a baseball game when he took notice of her.

"Hey sis, who do you think is going to win?"

/Here we go again/, she thought. "I don't even know any of those teams. In fact, I don't even know how baseball works."

"Come on. Just make some random prediction like always so Ican place a bet down."

Jennifer sighed and looked at the TV screen. "Um... That team," she pointed. "They win by ten points," she said unenthusiastically.

Her brother looked at the screen and back at her. "They're down by eight runs, Jen... Plus the team you picked just lost most of their best guys in a huge trade."

She frowned at him. "Then don't ask me then!"

She went upstairs to her room and fell face down on her bed. Jennifer thought about the baseball game. Please don't make it happen. Please don't make it happen. She repeated this to herself for a while before moving off her bed and to her computer.

An hour later, she heard loud footsteps coming to her door. It was as she had feared. Her brother burst through the door loudly without knocking.

"Sis! It's exactly what you said! It's probably the biggest upset this year!"

Jennifer frowned worriedly at him and he began to feel guilty.

"Sorry. I know you're sensitive about that subject. But come on. There's no way it's just coincidence. Maybe you're psychic or something?"

She turned towards her desk and put her forehead to its surface. "I'm not. There's no way I could have predicted that. I wasn't even thinking when I said those things."

"Well, whatever you're doing. I don't think it's a bad thing.
Sign up to rate and review this story