Categories > Original > Fantasy > Princess Nevermore

Prologue

by Azarath 2 reviews

Princess Nevermore is trapped in an enchanted castle. Since her birth, she has been on her own, and for good reason. At night, she turns into a terrible dragon...at least in appearance. One day, a ...

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy,Romance,Sci-fi - Warnings: [X] [?] - Published: 2014-08-13 - Updated: 2014-09-04 - 264 words

0Unrated
Princess Nevermore awoke in her garden, just as she always has. Since the day she was born, she slept outside, protecting her precious home from her nights in another form: a bright red dragon with next to no control over her large body. After 19 years, the nights had gotten no better, the body no easier to control. She still stumbled around, had next to no control over her movements, and couldn't help breathing fire whenever she exhaled.

The Princess arose from her flat nest of leaves to walk the path back to her home. As it came into view, she couldn't help but stop and gawk at the magnificence of her home, and her prison.

No matter how beautiful the castle was, Nevermore still resented her palace. The empty halls echoed with the emptiness reflected in her heart; her invisible servants -that she long ago given up on attempting to communicate with- going about their duties as instructed, never wavering, never making any noise. Sometimes it was so quiet that the Princess ran through the halls screaming, just to chase the loneliness away when it threatened to consume her.

However, she never longed for a friend. Oh, no. She was far too dangerous for that. She would hurt them...even kill them...

Shaking her head, she banished the thoughts out of her mind. She continued up the path through her garden. While walking, she heard a sound she had never heard before: the sound of another human voice. She screamed, her vision fading into blackness as the one word registered in her mind...

"Hello?"
Sign up to rate and review this story