Categories > Theatre > Rent

Diamonds

by Katya 1 review

There was always this aura of mystery around her.

Category: Rent - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst, Romance - Characters: Mark, Maureen - Published: 2006-08-10 - Updated: 2006-08-11 - 326 words - Complete

2Insightful
There was always this aura of mystery around her. Something special that made her untouchable. She was a diamond, sparkling and casting colors on the wall. When you were younger, during those first thrilling months of discovery and worship, you found it to be a quality that was attractive. That she would allow you a brief glimpse of her rainbow, allow you to touch and stroke it with loving care.

A year later, you begin to wonder.

Six months after that, it begins to frustrate you.

The day you came home and found her moving boxes into the hall, you knew that you had been fooled, and maybe foolish, because diamonds like that you don't keep and hoard. Diamonds like that find their way back into the world, find someone new capture with their smooth texture and polished good looks.

/I can't stay here anymore/, she says.

You stare and frown.

I feel smothered. I need my freedom.

You cast your eyes across the room that no longer has her everywhere.

/Someone else/, you wonder inside your head, except it wasn't and she doesn't even look guilty.

It's been a blast babe, but it's time for me to fly. She kisses your cheek and you suddenly find yourself on the fire escape looking at the moon. You cast your eyes down to stare at the tiny diamond you scraped and starved for.

Diamonds need to be shared with the world, so you toss this one back onto the street and refuse to turn around until you hear her leave.


----------------------
AN: Written randomly for Eileen cause I felt like writing and she wanted Rent fic where Mark realizes Maureen is leaving him. nod nod And this sort of emerged from my head. I'm very sorry for desecrating the characters we all know and love so much. Comments are love, constructive criticism is appreciated, and if you find a typo for the love of god let me know.
Sign up to rate and review this story