Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance

WORLD SUICIDE PREVENTION DAY

by CrimsonRevenge 1 review

A note about Suicide Prevention

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Published: 2014-09-10 - 836 words

0Unrated
Today is World Suicide Prevention Day. No one else can play your part.

September 10th is World Suicide Prevention Day – a worldwide effort led by the International Association for Suicide Prevention and World Health Organization to improve education about suicide, decrease stigma and raise awareness of the warning signs of suicide.

Suicide is a major public health problem. The psychological pain that leads each of these individuals to take their lives is unimaginable. Their deaths leave families and friends bereft, and often have a major ripple effect on communities.

You’re going to make. It’ll be hard, but you’ll make it. I have lost five friends, a cousin, and nearly my best friend to suicide and I suffer from depression and suicidal thoughts myself, but I will continue to persevere and live my life the best I can as long as I stay strong. I have suffered with this since I was in high school, though most people didn't know and still don't know. I'm kind of outing myself right now, but if that helps someone see that even when a person is depressed and suicidal, they can still be saved. It's never too late. I am living proof that you can be down and out, but rise above it all.

Staying strong takes support from friends and family. Everyone needs love and everyone needs to be told that everything will be ok and that it is not worth it to take your own life. Suicide can be prevented by friends and family, by caring and asking the questions and making that person talk and not keep everything buried inside and festering until they snap. I, again, am proof. I bury so many things down deep and sometimes it feel like I can’t take much more, but I’m still here. Everyone can help prevent suicide. All it takes is paying attention to those around you, reaching out and caring about someone other than just you.

Kindness can save a life and cruelty can end one. You never know who’s been considering it lately. After losing a family member and several friends to suicide, I can tell you it’s not something to ignore. It’s not something to be ashamed to bring up, and I highly encourage anyone to seek help or talk to someone. You’re not wrong or abnormal, as it is fairly common to have suicidal thoughts with no actions, but it is still to be taken seriously. I also highly encourage others to listen and realize the seriousness of any threat, gesture, etc, regardless. Invest your time. Show them. These people who take their lives are dealing with extreme despair and pain that they contemplate taking their own life over it.

There will always be someone that cares. Multiple people. Even if you don’t realize it. Suicide will not be a solution to the problem. You haven’t already lost the battle, there is still hope. You have a life left to lead.

Facts/estimates:
- Suicide is preventable.
- It is said up to 90% of those who take their lives have a diagnosable and treatable mental disorder.
- Around 800,000 to a million people die by suicide every year, making it the 10th leading cause of death worldwide.
- About 40,000 people die by suicide in the US every year
- More people die by suicide than homicide
- Suicide is the second leading cause of death for people ages 15-24
- Some children 10 and under die by suicide
- Suicide can be prevented by public awareness and prevention
- 1 in 25 youth attempt suicide

Stop the stigma:
- People who take their lives are not weak or cowardly
- People who take their lives most likely have an untreated mental disorder
- People who take their lives want to end their excruciating pain and despair rather than die, and certainly don’t want to hurt anyone else over it
- Stigma and shame leads to more suicide attempts, makes the individual feel alone and ashamed, and is discrimination against a mental disorder
- Taking their lives is hardly ever a “choice” as much as it is severe symptoms and emotions from a disorder. Blame the disease, not the victim.
Post your support to Twitter:

Today is World Suicide Prevention Day and I'm keeping the warning signs on my mind: http://bit.ly/onmymind. RT to show your support.

Learn more about suicide prevention and the warning signs of suicide through the "It’s On My Mind" page: http://www.facebook.com/itsonmymind.

Check out other World Suicide Prevention Day activities at http://www.iasp.info/

To learn more about mental health conditions and suicide, visit one of The Jed Foundation’s sites at http://www.jedfoundation.org/, http://www.ulifeline.org/ or http://www.halfofus.com/ You’ll find links to many other resources through these sites. If you or someone you know needs help immediately, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK.
Sign up to rate and review this story