Categories > Anime/Manga > Fruits Basket > Bite-Sized Fruits: A Collection of Furuba Drabbles

After Summer Comes Spring

by Niamh 0 reviews

The Request: Something, anything, from Hatori's POV. (Written for a fellow Hatori/Mayu 'shipper.)

Category: Fruits Basket - Rating: PG - Genres: Romance - Characters: Hatori, Other - Published: 2006-08-11 - Updated: 2006-08-12 - 402 words

0Unrated
All I ever wanted was for her to be happy.

As long as I knew, in my heart, that she was content, that she felt no pain at all after what had transpired between us, then I could find some solace in that. It wasn't easy, of course. I'd loved her. She'd set me free - she'd allowed me to realize that I didn't have to remain stoic and frigid, that it was all right to feel things.

That's not the sort of thing you forget. You bury the knowledge, and pretend to forget it. Oftentimes, it's quite like trying to ignore the proverbial elephant in the living room.

Time passed, as it does. Kana got married, and I was glad for it - despite the fact that no one seemed to believe me. Of course, that shouldn't come as a surprise. Shigure isn't exactly what I would call fluent in selflessness. I didn't expect him to understand.

I would stay away from Kana because I loved her. Wanting that time back, those blessed days filled with acceptance and love - that was a selfish want. And I could never get it back. For Kana to remember the good days also meant she would be forced to remember everything else.

I couldn't do that to her. I wouldn't.

So I went on, trying to pretend that I'd remained unaffected by Spring's warm touch. Once again I tamped down on my emotions, willfully forgetting how good that thaw felt.

And then I learned that, whether we will or no, seasons change. And after Spring, Summer inevitably follows. Summer, with her scorching heat, and pounding rains - she is not gentle, but bold and unpredictable.

Summer will not allow snow and ice to melt slowly; such intense heat causes it to crack and evaporate into steam.

Weeks evolved into months, which blossomed into years, and before I knew it, I was looking down into Kana's eyes yet again, her face beaming with unrestrained joy.

"I'm so happy for you!" And then boundless happiness turned into a sly grin and wink. "I told Mayu-chan she'd be a good match for Hatori-san, but she didn't believe me~!"

I looked up suddenly to see my summer bride, a deep blush warming her cheeks.

"Yes, well," I said, clearing my throat and catching Mayuko's gaze briefly before regarding her closest friend once more. "I only hope that I can make her... happy."
Sign up to rate and review this story