Categories > Anime/Manga > Fruits Basket > Bite-Sized Fruits: A Collection of Furuba Drabbles

Not a Happy Ending

by Niamh 0 reviews

I was challenged to write "anything" that counted as "Shikito." This is a little drabble that merely speculates the end of the curse. Was written long before chatper 131.

Category: Fruits Basket - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst - Characters: Akito, Shigure - Published: 2006-08-11 - Updated: 2006-08-12 - 265 words

0Unrated
It wasn't supposed to have ended this way -- of that Shigure was certain. Of all the scenarios and all the various permutations that were possible, this one hadn't even entered the realm of possibility. And yet, there it was, standing before him in all its unadulterated, unvarnished glory. All of his plans and dreams, all of his schemes, all of his /effort/, all of it working towards that one, beautiful goal, that had seemed just within his reach for so long. And this was what he was left with -- not gold, but dross.

Shigure couldn't understand it. It, in fact, defied explanation at all.

Blinking slowly, he looked at her now with new eyes -- eyes no longer the Dog's, but his own. He gazed upon his Goddess and tried to remember why she was so very important to him. He could remember that she had been -- for so many years of his life, she had been the single most important thing to him, to all of them. His world, his being, his essence had been focused on her: his Kami-sama. His Goddess. There had been passion and desire, hot enough to scald -- he could remember it, remember how he felt, how she made him feel. He tried to recapture the fire that had ignited in his veins at the thought of her, of loving her -- and being the only one to love her -- of possessing her. It was gone. That urge, that all-consuming desire, had fled with the Dog's spirit.

All he saw was a girl. And instead of passion for her, he felt pity.
Sign up to rate and review this story