Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance

Endure and Survive

by thisheartofmine 2 reviews

The Last of Us AU. When Gerard first meets Frank, one threatens to kill the other... After twenty-four hours, they're saving each other from hordes of the undead.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Horror,Romance - Characters: Frank Iero,Gerard Way - Warnings: [V] [X] [?] - Published: 2015-04-05 - 1607 words

1Original
Note: So... this is weird, I think it's been a good few years since I was last online (under a different username) but if anyone remembers me, Lottie(/Charles/whatever?), then hey hi hello! I'm back, and I can write kind of well now, but I was hoping you guys would help me out.
Anyone who's still reading, could you comment with any mistakes, writing improvements, etc? I'm planning on uploading this to AO3 but in larger installments. So you guys kinda get a preview! But anyways, thank you in advance if y'all do. And if you're not familiar with The Last of Us then don't worry. You can easily read without knowing. Besides that, enjoy!


20 Years Later.

“I'm not in,” Gerard shouts from his dirty mattress on the ground. He's heard knocking since he woke up minutes ago. “I said I'm not in!”

The light poured into the room from outside, surrounding him and making Gerard feel particularly uncomfortable with his eyes open. The bruise around his left eye from earlier in the morning began to throb again as Gerard avoided, and inevitably failed at, squinting from the light. He didn't mean to get into a scrap earlier, but as Gerard was leaving the ration line, he heard the guards refuse to give a boy, no older than ten, the bread that he needed to feed his family. He overheard the entire conversation before demanding to know the reason the kid couldn't have it. After the guard made up some bullshit excuse about the ration house only having enough for 20 people today, he ended up pushing the guard and... well, the rest is pretty obvious. And now he's here. Eye bruised, no ration cards and no food.

At least the boy got some bread.

The knocking continues and Gerard knew exactly who it was at the door. Adeline, his least dead partner in crime right now, was now calling for him from outside. “Gerard. Gerard! Open up,” she said, sounding exhausted. “Gerard, open the fucking door or I swear to God I-”

“Alright, alright.” Gerard stands up from his mattress and walks to the door. “I'm coming. Jesus.” He undoes the latch and opens up, instantly turning and walking away before Adeline sees the bruises from this morning. She walks in fiercely, unloading her backpack onto the dining table in the kitchen area, empty from all weapons except a 9mm Pistol. Her dark hair is in a scraped back, greasy plait from her face, and a tear in her dirty white shirt already offers him a glimpse into the story he's about to hear.

“So, did the other side survive or..?”

“Nah,” she shrugs, “I found one of the lead fireflies and they told me where the merchandise was, tried to get in, but it was too secure. I figure we wait until there's less suspicion around us and then break into the pla-” She looks over from her bag, and Gerard's quick to look away. Apparently not quick enough.

“Gerard,” he can feel her eyes bore into him, “Way, look at me.”

“It's nothing, okay Addy?”

“Like hell, what the fuck did you do?” She storms over, grabbing his face in her hands to evaluate the damage. Though Gerard feels the pain of the bruise when she touches it, it's a comfort to know that she cares. She's much younger than he is, only nineteen, and sometimes he feels more like a parent than he should, but they're good friends and that's all that matters.

“Says the kid who was gone for three fucking days." He earns another look from her. "Anyways, it's nothing, a run-in with one of those asshole guards. They refused this kid his family worth of rations, so I asked them why and when they didn't give a good enough excuse... it just escalated. I don't know.” He pulls away from Addy's grasp and reaches for a bottle of water lying on the table.

“You're a fucking moron.” she sighs. “Whatever, we lay low for a few weeks and then we go get our merch back, deal?”

He sighs exasperatedly, grabbing his own backpack from the corner of the room and packing it with the water. Addy's always after more weapons, more armour, it makes her feel safer.“Yeah, fine, whatever. Listen, I'm gonna go for a walk. You wanna come?”

Addy ponders for a moment before shaking her head. “I need a lie-down, I'll make you some soup for when you come back, okay? You got your gun?” Gerard makes his way towards the open front door and leans against it before leaving.

"Sure, thanks. And it's hidden downstairs, while you were gone there were a couple of searches after a lead on a firefly attack. We're in the clear but I had to hide them. Lay low. Play the innocent civilian card."

"They didn't see your...?" She looks pointedly towards his arm and he shakes his head in response.

"It wasn't infection scanning, just area searches. It was fine. Plus, Toro was with them so there was nothing to worry about."

Ray Toro is one of Gerard's friends from before the outbreak, but they only managed to find each other after five years apart, never realising they had been in the same Quarantine Zone this whole time. Even though Ray had since joined the forces, they kept each other safe as they dealt with each other's businesses. When they had made the visit Ray was already aware of the bite Gerard had managed to procure, so there was no need for any apprehension.

Deciding it's time to leave, he steps just outside their apartment before turning back, “Lock the door, don't answer it to anyone we don't know.”

“Jesus, you're acting like my dad.”

“Remind me why you're not staying with him right now?”

“He's got a new girlfriend, as soon as she's gone I'll go back. And anyway I won't answer the door. See ya, Way.”

“Adios, Addy.” He says before the door is shut on his ass, he waits to hear the lock of the latch and then heads downstairs and out into daylight.



The sun was incredibly bright for a late afternoon in spring, beating down on derelict homes and sweating survivors as the Quarantine Zone was continuously monitored by the military. Already, he could hear the distinct sound of a quarrel between two men coming from further down the street. If Gerard went that way he'd find himself in the centre of the Zone, with guards breathing down his neck and the plague of women and children begging for food and shelter.

Pulling the sleeves of his plaid shirt down over his arms, covering the scar that lies there like a witness to his albeit moronic nature. While no one's looking at him he sneaks around the side of his building to the air vent where he knows his M1911 pistol and shiv are hidden, before anyone notices he stalks away from the city centre.

If he can recount correctly it's been around a month since he was bitten by a runner. He was with Adeline and the two of them ventured outside of the south wall of the Quarantine Zone, in a building nearby which was supposedly empty. They were planning on meeting a friend of Addy's who had an abundance of ration cards for them to last a good three or four months. Unfortunately, when they got there they were greeted with a dead friend and a hoard of runners planning a meal. While they ran away from the final few monsters, Gerard collapsed on his ankle and had to get rid of them with the limited ammo he had, letting Adeline run ahead to safety.

He kept shooting, but Adeline was gone and he had officially ran out of bullets. Before Gerard could do anything to the fucker that was coming for him now, he had a searing pain in his left arm. The bite was like nothing he'd ever felt before, and he occasionally woke up sweating from the nightmares he's suffered through since.

When Gerard managed to push the runner away, he caved the head of the monster in with no care for the red mass that had coagulated on his hands. He gave up on himself. Truth tells that there's less than a day before the infection attacks the brain and results in the strength and speed of your body. There was little that Gerard could do but accept his fate.

Gerard ponders on this as he walks towards the north wall, his back to the chaos of the Quarantine Zone, and after a good hour of walking he reaches his destination. Desperation overrides his memories as he searches for a break in the wall to go through. The Q.Z is starting to get humid and close, he needs to get out. He intends to go underneath the wall and out onto the other side, not going far but enough to get a little fresh air. Survivors who lie under the radar often go there for no reason other than to look at the devastated city that New Jersey left behind. Inside the part of Passaic that was quarantined is still as beautiful as it was twenty years ago, but outside is where the real beauty lies. Nature took over the city and now all Gerard finds is the bitter-sweet memory.

He heads through a small tunnel in the wall. It's not the one he normally takes through to the other side but Gerard's so desperate to get away from this God forsaken place that he goes anyway.
Sign up to rate and review this story