Categories > TV > Supernatural > Bloodlines SPN

Penina stood still, completely shell-shocked and unsure of what to do next. It wasn’t normal for her to be lost for words. Eventually she managed to ask “What?”

“Dad’s missing and-”

“What do you mean Dad’s missing?” Penina asked “What do you mean these two are our brothers? They’re just two random inspectors from this morning. If we had brothers then Dad would have told us.”

“He didn’t because he was trying to protect you.” The taller one, Sam, said. He glanced nervously at the principal “But now’s not the time to be talking about this. Why don’t we go somewhere more private?”

“I don’t want to go anywhere.” Penina said stubbornly “This is stupid. I’m going back to class and then at the end of the day I’m going home like I always do.”

“But you can’t-” Dean started angrily until surprisingly Hozzie interrupted them.

“Penina.” She said “Our Dad’s gone missing. The least we can do is listen to what these guys have to say. Whether they’re our brothers or not.”

“I understand this is a difficult situation Penina.” Principle Jones said “But they’ve shown me all the official paperwork. They are your brothers. You have permission to miss the rest of the school day. In fact, take as much time off as you need. Finding out your Dad’s gone missing isn’t news that should be taken lightly.”

Penina sighed heavily and rolled her eyes “Fine. But I’m not happy about this.”

“Noted.” Dean said with a sarcastic smile “Now let’s get going, shall we?”

He stood up and walked past and Penina glared at the back of his head. Sam followed him and then Hozzie. She grabbed Penina’s hand and squeezed it “It’s gonna be okay.” Hozzie said.

Penina smiled at her and the two of them followed Sam and Dean outside “Wow, sweet car.” Penina said when she saw the brothers approaching a black impala “Is that really yours?”

“Sure is.” Dean said proudly “Dad gave it to me. Baby’s my pride and joy.”

“Did you just call the car ‘baby’?” Penina asked, raising her eye-brows.

“He does that all the time.” Sam said “Come on, let’s get in.”

Dean got into the driver’s seat, Sam into the passenger’s seat and the girls hesitated before clambering into the back seats “Look, what’s going on?” Penina asked “Why are we only just finding out about you two now? Why didn’t Dad say anything? How has Dad gone missing? How long has he been missing for? What happens-”

“You ask an awful lot of questions.” Dean interrupted.

“We’ll try and answer them all.” Sam said “But I don’t think the car is the best place for that. We’ll take you to a diner, get something to eat and then we’ll go home and get your stuff.”

The twins glanced at each other “Get our stuff?” Penina asked “What do you mean?”

Sam sighed “We’ll talk more about it over some breakfast, okay?”

The rest of the drive was in silence until Dean found a diner and pulled in. Having skipped breakfast the twins were more than happy at the idea of getting some food but they could barely think about that, they just wanted to know what was going on with their Dad. When they’d all ordered, Penina looked the brothers in the eye and asked “Right, will you finally tell us what’s going on?”

The brothers looked at each other and then back at the twins “Well,” Sam started “As you guys kind of already know, John Winchester is our Dad too. So that makes us family. Except we have different Moms. Ours died in a house fire when we were younger.”

“It wasn’t a house fire.” Dean snapped, and then his face softened “It was… It was…” Hozzie and Penina waited politely “It was a demon attack.”

There was silence around the table until Penina repeated “A demon attack?” Dean nodded “Look, I don’t wanna sound rude or anything because like I’m awfully sorry about your Mom but… Demon’s don’t exist.”

“Yes they do.” Sam said “Dean’s telling the truth. A demon caused the fire that killed our Mom. Everything you didn’t think was real is real. Demon’s, ghosts, werewolves, vampires-”

“Like Twilight style vampires?”

“No.” Dean said, rolling his eyes “What a stupid movie. They’re worse than that.”

“Are angels real?” Hozzie asked shyly.

Dean shook his head “Sorry kiddo, I haven’t encountered one.”

“So you’re telling us that all the bad supernatural stuff exists but the nice ones like angels don’t?” Penina asked. Dean nodded and pulled a ‘what can you do’ face “Why should we believe any of this? How do we know you two aren’t pranking us?”

“Why would we lie about something like this?” Sam asked “We wish we didn’t have to tell you guys all of this stuff. We didn’t want to drag you into this world, especially Dad-”

“Then why did you? Why didn’t Dad tell us something?” Penina asked “What if something had happened to us?”

“Because now with Dad missing everything’s different.” Sam said “We knew he could protect you before. You probably didn’t even notice the things he did to protect you.”

“He was never there!” Penina snapped “Once every two weeks if we were lucky. He never answered his goddamn phone, never cared if the power was out or if we had no money or food or if the neighbours were asking us awkward questions-”

“Penina-” Sam started.

“No! How could he have protected us? He wasn’t there. You don’t know what it was like!”

“Yes we do.” Dean said “Dad did the same to us. Moved us around from motel to motel while he was on a hunt. He’d leave us for days on end like you guys. I used to get arrested trying to steal food for me and Sammy. So trust me, we know exactly what it was like.”

The twins were silent for a moment “So what happens now?” Hozzie asked, not looking up from the table “I take it we can’t go home.”

Sam sighed “You wouldn’t be safe. And now we know where you are we want to look after you. You’re too young to live by yourselves.” Penina snorted “I know, you’ve been doing a good job. But wouldn’t you prefer someone to look out for you?”

“Well why the fuck didn’t you come sooner then?” Penina asked “When Mom died? Where were you then?”

“Trying to find you. Dad wouldn’t tell us where you were. But we did try.” Sam said “I swear we did. It wasn’t until he died and we found his journal that we knew where you were.”

They were interrupted by a waitress coming over and laying out their food in front of them. They started eating in silence until Penina asked “So what are we going to do then?” Penina asked “Live like you guys do? In motels, getting moved from place to place?”

“We don’t want that life for you guys, really we don’t, but we don’t have a choice.” Sam said “The demons are talking about you already. They know you’re our sisters and that makes you two targets. You need to learn how to protect yourselves.”

“I don’t want to fight demons and stuff like that.” Hozzie said “I’m scared of the dark. Let alone a demon.”

“You get used to it.” Dean said “You’ll have us there to look out for you. You won’t be in real danger.”

“Real danger? Fighting a demon isn’t real danger?” Penina said “Anyway… Where is Dad? What’s going on?”

Sam sighed “He’s gone, trying to track down the demon that killed Mom. We’re trying to find him whilst working on cases ourselves. And now we have you guys.” Sam smiled “We’ll make it fun for you. I promise.”

The twins looked at each other “We don’t have much choice, do we?” Penina asked.

“Nope.” Dean said “Now come on, eat up. We’ve gotta go back and pack.”
Sign up to rate and review this story