Categories > Anime/Manga > Death Note > Blank Space

Kira

by StephanieMichaelis 0 reviews

Anastasia discovers she is not the only one with a Death Note

Category: Death Note - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Published: 2016-05-29 - 1860 words

0Unrated
Araya Tetsu
She signed the name, each loopy letter contributing to the thief’s demise. She tittered a bit, watching the criminal running away from the store. She was all too familiar with how it worked after the month of using it. No one had noticed a thing. She had spaced out her murders by a few days and varied her methods of killing, being oddly specific, according to Truly. It was actually very methodical and strategic. She watched as the man, with a thin sickly figure that looked like he could be snapped in two, and hair that wisped around in the wind, seized up, grabbed his chest and screamed agony and panic. She smirked, clutching her notebook to her chest as his pursuers caught up to the man on the floor, astounded at his sudden affliction.
“You better get out of here, before they notice you.”
“No one will notice me. No one will even think twice about the notebook.” Anastasia stands up, her light brown hair in a high ponytail, swinging back and forth as she did so. She has her back to the large screen in the middle of the plaza, not paying attention until it blared bright blue.
“We interrupt this program to bring you a special worldwide broadcast form ICPO, Interpol. We’ll start now.” She didn’t even flinch when she heard this, it was probably just another program about a mass murder. Just another bit of scum she’d have to eliminate.
“I am Lind. L. Tailor, the sole person who is able to mobilize the world’s police. Also known as L.”
“Who the hell…?” she whispers and Truly emits a high pitched giggle.
“You didn’t know there were people investigating you, did you?”
“You’re joking. I’ve been so careful!”
“Apparently not careful enough.” The man resumed his speech.
“There has been a string of serial killings targeting criminals. This is the most atrocious act of murder in history and will not go unpunished.” She had thought she had been invincible. She hadn’t even had time to concoct a backup plan for getting caught. She berates herself at how unprepared she was. “I will definitely catch the one behind these murders, commonly known as Kira.” Kira? Killer? She had a name? How had they figured it out? She had been so damn careful! Calm down, she reprimanded. They have nothing on you. Unless she acts guilty, they don’t have anything. “Kira, I have a pretty good idea behind your motive and why you’re doing this.”
“You don’t know jack shit.” She whispered, flashing back to her young self, finding her mother’s bloody corpse.
“But what you’re doing is evil!” Her head snaps up, and she glares at the man.
“This has to be a farce.” She growls. She watches as the man doubles over; her breath catches. She checks herself, to make sure she hadn’t unconsciously done anything to kill the man. But no, the death note firmly away in her bag. There was no way this man just happened to have a heart attack. This was another Death note, she knew it it had to be! If she didn’t do it, then who? The man died very dramatically, hitting the desk and clutching his chest. She smirked, she hadn’t been caught after all. “Truly, you didn’t say anything about there being another Shinigami in this realm. Or any one else with a death note.”
“I didn’t have to.”
“You are not allowed to lie to me. Ever.”
“If you say so. But I never lied. Just didn’t say everything. Do you want to know my shoe size as well?”
“How about you stop being a snarky little bitch? If you want to live happily ever after, it’s in your best interest to stick by my side, or do you want to go back to the Shinigami realm, where everything is all just shits and giggles all the time isn’t it? It was hell on earth for you anyways. They always harassed you.”
“H-how did you--?”
“I didn’t. Until now.” She smirks and continues on her way. Her troubles were obliterated for the time being Her new task, was finding this new “Kira” fellow. If he would listen to reason, he might make an ally out of him. But If he was as stupid as he seemed, she would have to wipe him out of the running. L, whoever he had been, was gone. Until a mechanical voice took over the screen, with a very intricate and loopy L inked onto a blank sheet of paper.
“U-unbelievable. I had to check to be sure. Who would have thought you could have done this? Kira, it seems you can kill people without direct contact.” Sirens went off in her head. Would they be looking for a notebook now? She fingered hers, the outline in her backpack. No, they wouldn’t. She was overreacting. This idiot! He was going to end up caught, and if he gets her caught, she swears, killing him will be the last thing she’ll do. “I couldn’t believe it before seeing it with my own eyes. Listen to me, Kira. If you just killed the man on screen, Lind L. Tailor, you just killed a man who was scheduled to be executed today. It wasn’t me.” Damn! L was alive and well. He must be the head of the Kira investigation, form what she had deduced in the last few minutes. “This criminal is someone the police caught secretly. His capture wasn’t broadcast on the television or the internet. It seems that even you couldn’t get information on him. But I, L, do exist! So come on, try and kill me!” Truly let out another high pitched giggle. She was the real genius here, she hadn’t been caught, so why did she feel a burning rage within her? It flowed through her veins, this man, this imbecile had attracted police attention, and not just that, the best damn cops. She would have to think and quick. She wanted to kill this man more than anything, but alas, what could she do without a name and a face? “What’s wrong? Do it quickly!” he pleaded, almost. The crowd burst into muffled whispers about how it was Kira vs. L, both of which she had been ignorant to until about ten minutes ago. “Try and kill me! What’s the matter? Can’t you do it?” She emitted a low, animal like growl.
“This man will die.” She proclaimed.
“It seems you can’t kill me. So, there are some people you can’t kill. You’ve given me a good clue. I’ll tell you something good in return. I told you this is a live worldwide broadcast, but…this is only being broadcast in the Kanto region of Japan.” She breathes through her small nose, trying to keep from doing anything drastic through her abhorring and wrathful attitude. “I was planning on broadcasting this at different areas at different times, but it seems I no longer need to. Now I know that you are based in the Kanto region of Japan. The first victim was the killer in Shinjuku.” That was where they started to differ. She had heard of a few cases of mysterious heart attacks, but how could she have known? Her first victim had been her classmate. “The police overlooked this case because it was so minor. Of all the criminals who died of heart attacks, Kurou Otoharada, unemployed, Shinjuku Phantom killer, this was least serious. Furthermore, his crime was only broadcast in Japan. I have deduced this much; You are in Japan, and your first victim was your guinea pig. You’re just lucky you’re in Kanto, the most heavily populated region in Japan. I never thought things would go quite so well, but…. Kira, it won’t be too long before I can sentence you to death.” Everyone breaks into a chatter, and Anastasia begins to walk away slowly, she had heard enough. She knew what she had to do. “Kira, I’m interested in how you commit the murders. But…I’ll find that out when I catch you. Until we meet again…. Kira…” the screen fades to black behind her. She walks, feeling the sun shine down on her. She smiles a little, she had a plan. She arrives home, earlier than usual. No one was home, her little brothers were still in school, and her father wouldn’t be home from work for another few hours. Her flat make very little noise, hitting against the hardwood floor in her room. She closes the shades, immersing both her and her colorful Shinigami in darkness.
“What are you doing?” barks Truly, still crabby from their early encounter.
“Hiding the evidence.” She replies. “This floor board isn’t just loose. It will only open upon applying a certain torque, one can only open this with a wide handled screwdriver. Anything else and it won’t budge. And that’s just to get to the decoy. The real one will be inside here.” She taps the red wooden box, shiny. “It was a present from my grandmother, and the key to unlocking it is also the screwdriver.” She smirks, her rage has dissipated, now replaced with a fierce need to move forward, and catch whoever was endangering her utopia. She hops on her computer, logs in and begins her search. Who was leading the investigation? She couldn’t very well search that up but she did know that the head of the police force had been named Yagami… Yagami, why did that sound so familiar? Had he been a senior she held a conversation with? A criminal she’d killed? A family friend? What about that name made her think twice? She quickly grabs her latest yearbook and searches through it.
Yasuda Anju
Miyazaki Kazunori
Hironaka Urako
Light Yagami.
She scrolls through years of past students, fever since her freshmen year, only to find him in her own senior class. Of course. He had a son. But this man was much too smart to be so obvious about his killings. So could it truly be him? He was the top of their class, after all. But if his ego was driving him, that would change everything. Maybe he wanted to be noticed. She scrolls through a few websites, and using her expert skills she had mastered through years of alone time in her room, she manages to hack into Mr. Yagami’s computer. Perfect, information on all the cases. She would be one step ahead of her potential opponent, and completely filled in on what the police had on her. It was…just too easy. She was hoping she would have met some kind of challenges along the way. But of this she swore: she would find this Light Yagami, determine if he was Kira and eradicate him if he posed a threat. After all, she was justice.
Sign up to rate and review this story