Categories > Original > Humor > Deep Space

Triangles

by Noizchild 0 reviews

Aki and Nikki talk to Mark about what he is going to do for his future and tell him that they are leaving.

Category: Humor - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor - Published: 2016-09-02 - 638 words - Complete

0Unrated
Triangles

Mark clapped his hands together. “That’s great news!”

“What are you doing with your life?” Nikki asked. Her boyfriend gave him a strange look.

“What?” he asked.

“This is part of the problem,” Aki said. “You never make up your mind about anything.”

“What is this?” Mark asked. “You never complained about this before. What brought this on?” His roommate rubbed her forehead and groaned.

“There you go again,” she complained. “We’re getting too old for this crap.” She lowered her hand and looked the Scottish man in the eye. “It’s time to move on with our lives.”

“Where is all of this coming from?” Mark asked. Aki handed him a stack of paper stapled together. He read over the top sheet.

“Journalism school?” he asked. Mark looked up at her. “This is all the way in Kyoto.”

“Yes,” Aki replied.

“What’s wrong with school in Tokyo here?” he asked. His roommate leaned back on the couch.

“This is our last year,” she said.

“So?”

“It’s time to decide a plan of action here. We can’t afford to screw around anymore.”

Mark frowned and rubbed his forehead. He tried to dig in his brain for something to say. The Scottish man peeked through the cracks in his hands. “When did you decide to go to Kyoto?”

“Back in April,” Aki said. Nikki put her hands on her lap.

“This is part of your problem here,” she said. “I told you about going to New York back in January. You still don’t know what you are doing with your life.”

The Scottish man shook his head, shrugging. “What do you want me to do?”

“That’s up to you,” Aki said. “We’ve already made up our minds.”

--------

So that’s how it was.

Three different people went on three different paths.

Nikki went to New York for her internship. Aki prepared to head to Kyoto after graduation. Mark was still didn’t know what he wanted. He just went to classes and tried to find work.

The Scottish man kept in contact with his girlfriend while helping her roommate. Nikki had grown to love New York. She talked about moving there when she finished her internship.

“Do you want to come out here with me?” she asked in towards the end of his final year. Mark smiled to himself over the phone.

“You know,” he said. “I think I like Japan too much to leave.”

“What do you plan to do there?”

“I still don’t know, but I will figure it out soon.”

“I wish you luck, Mark.”

By December, Aki and Mark graduated from Tokyo-Zion Academy. By then, Mark and Nikki had drifted apart and called it quits.

“You still don’t know what you are doing?” Aki asked as she packed up for Kyoto. Mark shook his head as he sat on her bed.

“I will figure something out,” he said. “I know I am going to be fine.”

“You will call me every day, right?”

“Yes, yes.”

“I am serious about the figuring out what you are going to do thing. You really need to get on that.”

Mark lay back on the half-cleared away bed. “Yeah, yeah. I know.”

“I mean it!”

“I’m serious too!”

Aki zipped up her suitcase. “Good luck, okay?”

“You too.” His roommate turned around and hugged him tightly. Mark blinked before hugging her back.

The next morning, Aki and Mark left their apartment for good. Their game of being of a couple finally came to an end. Mark managed to get his own place in Tokyo for cheap and find himself some odd jobs. On the first night alone, he lay on his bed and smiled.

“I wonder what’s going to happen now,” he said to himself.
Sign up to rate and review this story