Categories > Anime/Manga > Yami no Matsuei > Playing the Angel

Late Night Phone Call

by Noizchild 0 reviews

One little text leads to another mess for Kyosuke and April.

Category: Yami no Matsuei - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Humor - Published: 2016-09-26 - 413 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter Forty: Late Night Phone Call:

December 20th, 2010.

10:58 p.m.

Kyosuke stared at his phone. Things should be better, right? Still, he didn't feel right. He and April still worked together. They did talk to each other. But…

I love her.

Kyosuke pulled up his messages. He tapped for the composer.

Hey there. I'm sorry to bother you this late, but can we talk? I really like you.

He deleted the last line before hitting send. Kyosuke didn't expect much out of tonight. Maybe she would respond days later. Kyosuke put down his phone and went to bed.

Moments later, his phone rang.

Kyosuke reached around for his cell.

"Hello?" he asked, half-asleep.

"Kyosuke?" a woman's voice asked. "It's me, April. I just got your text. What do you want to talk about?"

"Text?" Kyosuke narrowed his eyes, confused.

"Yeah. You wanted to talk to me about something. What is it?"

It donned on him what April was talking about. Kyosuke sat up like a bullet. "Uh…"

"Are you okay?"

"Uh, well…" Kyosuke didn't expect a quick response. Now, he struggled to speak. He rubbed the back of his head.

"Uh… Well… I like you. Really like you."

"Kyosuke…"

"No, listen! I am terrible at this. I… I… I suck at confessions. I do like you. I really do."

The other line was silent. The Japanese shinigami's stomach dropped. He shut his eyes, waiting for her to hang up.

"Okay…" she said. Kyosuke opened his eyes.

"That all?" he asked.

"I don't know what to say to that."

Kyosuke frowned. "Don't you like me?" Another pause on the other line.

"Well… I don't like you."

"Huh?"

"Oh, bugger. You're doing it again!"

"Doing what?"

April screamed on the other line. "Damn it! Why do you always mess with my head like this?"

Kyosuke had a blank look on his face. "I don't know what you are talking about."

"Never mind."

"So… What does that mean for us?"

"Us?"

"Yeah." The whole time he expected her to hang up on him. Probably would've been easier. This… This…

"Look," Kyosuke said. "I apologize for calling you so late. Forget I said anything."

"Kyosuke."

"What?"

"I'm coming over by your place."

"Wait, what?"

"I will be there in ten minutes."

"April… -san?" Kyosuke lowered his phone as the other line beeped.

"What did I just do?" he asked himself. "I don't feel so good…" He looked out in the darkness of his room.

Too late now…
Sign up to rate and review this story