Categories > Comics > Calvin and Hobbes

Make A Positive Modification: Get Healthy Now

by redloss45bradley 0 reviews

The art of fitness is so much more than just lifting weights. It takes a great deal of determination, lots of sweat and some knowledge, to really make

Category: Calvin and Hobbes - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor - Warnings: [R] - Published: 2016-10-28 - 868 words

0Unrated
The art of fitness is so much more than just lifting weights. It takes a great deal of determination, lots of sweat and some knowledge, to really make your routine work for you and your body. The tips below can help you to improve upon your personal fitness plan for a healthier body.

Don't get stuck behind your desk all day. Unlike our railroad-laying, dawn-'til-dusk farming ancestors, many of us don't have jobs that require physical labor. If this is the case for you, try incorporating little exercises into your workday. Set a timer on your computer to alert you every hour. Stand up from your desk and either do a lap around the office or a strength move. These little bursts can add up to a lot of extra burned calories over the course of a week, month, or year.



Design your fitness plan to avoid injury. This means using good posture and form while working out, using good equipment, and taking a rest day at least once a week. Replace your sneakers every few hundred miles to avoid leg injuries if you do a lot of walking or running.

To maximize your biceps when working out, try to flex your wrists more. You need to extend them slightly backward when exercising your biceps and keep holding them that way until the exercises are over. This is the best way to fully maximize the benefits of your standard arm curls.

Shoes are very important to your workouts. Finding shoes that fit correctly will make a world of difference. When you shop for shoes, go late in the day. Your feet are at their largest at this time. You should have half of an inch in front of your largest toe.

You should stop using a weight belt when performing most lifting exercises. Over time, a weight belt will weaken your abs and lower-back muscles. The only times that you should wear a weight belt is when you perform large lifts, such as squats, deadlifts and overhead presses.

A great fitness tip to build up your quadricep muscles is to start doing hack squats. Hack squats are a bit different than regular squats because you hold the bar behind you, and lower it to the ground. The highest point of the lift is at your waist.

Don't regard fitness clothing shopping as trying to select something for the catwalk. You need to focus on fit and function when looking for clothes. Make sure they are comfortable and well-fitted pieces that go with everything. Try sticking to the neutrals like black, white, and gray since they accomplish that.

Giving a part of your home or your car a deep cleaning will not only improve the look of your house or vehicle, but burn a great deal of calories. Going to the gym or setting a time to exercise is not always necessary when you keep active and do high intensity activities.

There are just some exercises you may not like doing, which means you should start doing more of them. Many of us tend to avoid the exercises we are weaker at. By specifically incorporating these into your routine, you will increase your strength and ability in the exercise and you just might find you like the results.

While lifting weights, squeeze your butt muscles together. By doing this, you are putting your body into a position that stabilizes your spine, thus reducing injuries or strains to your lower back. Make sure that as you are squeezing your butt muscles together that you are lifting the weights over your head.

To prevent injury during bench presses, give the bench itself a test by pushing your finger into the bench cushion itself. If while pressing the cushion you can touch the wood in the bench, move to another one. Benches that are hard can actually cause spine misalignment which affects the nerves in your arms and weakens them.


To stay physically fit, be sure to give yourself enough sleep. Many people today get only 6 hours of sleep or less each night. This can have very detrimental effects on health and fitness. Give yourself half an hour to wind down at night and then turn in with plenty of time to get a good 7, 8 or even 9 hours of solid rest for optimum fitness.

Don't stop working out just because it's winter. When the weather turns cold, layer your workout clothing and shed it as need be, or figure out a way to get your exercise indoors. Many activities can be done in your own living room, such as running in place, calisthenics, stretching and crunches. Don't ever use the season or the weather as an excuse to not work out.

Therefore, getting and staying fit does not have to be the unreachable pinnacle in your life. It's just a matter of building up stamina by doing something you enjoy, an activity that will get your heart rate up and that you can do at least a few times a week. A routine like that may not make you into an Olympic star, but it can give you a healthy body, keep your weight down, and make you feel good about yourself.
Sign up to rate and review this story