Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Curious Case of Luna Lovegood

A True Friend

by Marvolo666 0 reviews

"That is the type of person I want to be Harry. Someone who can make the world a better place no matter what."

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst,Romance - Characters: Harry,Luna - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2016-10-31 - 1425 words - Complete

1Moving
Harry couldn't sleep.
It had been a problem that had cursed Harry for many years but since the defeat of Voldemort he slept like a baby...except for tonight. He supposed it was only natural since it had been an eventful day and he did just become the new DADA teacher. That was a perfect excuse for insomnia but Harry new that wasn't the cause.
His mind kept drifting back to Luna. He didn't know what it was about that night but Harry felt a connection to her that he hadn't before. It made him wonder if they ever were friends before. What is a friend? She was no Ron or Hermione yet they were always friendly and kind to each over.
Maybe they hadn't been friends though. He remembered how uncomfortable he often felt around Luna. It was true that she was a comfort to him in rough times but Luna's blunt honesty could really hit home for someone like Harry. He couldn't help but feel guilty for not being kinder. He may treat her better than others but was that really enough. Luna should be treated how she deserves, this poor girl who lost her mother...just like Harry had.
It seemed Luna struggled every day. Flitwick had made her out to be a danger to herself but Harry didn't think that was it. One thing was certain. Luna was an enigma.
Harry looked at the clock...4:00 AM!
This was doing him no good. Sleep was impossible so why fight it? Harry decided to take advantage of his new found freedom and take a walk outside. He didn't have to worry about death eaters anymore...for the most part.
Harry walked outside enjoying the fresh air when something caught his eye. In the corner of the garden was a small path. He hadn't seen it before and now he was stricken with curiosity. Before he knew it he was walking down the unknown path with the Burrow long out of sight.
He must have been waking for over an hour before he heard a faint sound. It was a piano...
He didn't know the song being played but it was the most beautiful and haunting song he had ever heard. It was such a sad and lonely melody that it actually brought tears to Harry's eyes. He continued forwards like a moth drawn to a flame. Soon he came upon a strange house he remembered vividly.
The Lovegood house...and sure enough there in the living room window, lit by moonlight was Luna herself. She was playing on a piano that was painted pitch black except for the silver keys. Luna's eyes remained closed as she played but there was a passion from her playing Harry had never seen from the girl before. Luna continued to play before the song slowly came to a close.
Luna just sat there in silence with her eyes closed for what felt like hours. Then she spoke. "Music should strike fire from the hearts of men, and bring tears from the eyes of women...yet it is you who cries Harry Potter."
Harry was startled to be discovered he had been so amazed by the music he had forgotten where he was. "Sorry...I was just walking and...I heard music."
"Don't apologize Harry. It's nice to have an audience, and I've never played in front of someone before except my parents." Luna said as she climbed out the window and lowered herself onto the grass, landing perfectly on her bare feet. "Did you like it?"
"It was brilliant," Harry said immediately and for a second Harry thought he saw Luna blush. "You were brilliant Luna I never knew you could play."
"My mother taught me when I was 5 and I kept playing ever since. She would say that Music is the most powerful form of magic...Did you really like it Harry?" Luna asked looking straight into Harry's eyes.
"It was the most beautiful thing I ever heard. Did you write that?" Harry asked.
Luna laughed in reply. It was a strange laugh only Luna could make but there was something genuine and pure about it that made Harry's heart soar.
"I could never write something like that. It was written by Beethoven of course," Luna said looking confused. "You never heard of him? I thought you grew up with Muggles?"
"They never bothered to let me listen to music...hell for the first 10 years with them, they barely even let me out the clos..." Harry paused realizing he had said too much. Now he knew how Hagrid felt.
Luna seemed to piece it together. "They locked you up in a closet. Why would they do something like that?"
Harry sighed in defeat. "They hated me, they hated that I was a wizard. They drove me across the country to try and escape those Hogwarts letters. They later said they were determined to stamp out the magic in me. I never even found out I was a wizard until Hagrid showed up on my 11th birthday. THEY MADE MY LIFE A LIVING HELL!"
Harry felt the levee break and the flood came pouring out as Harry vented all his sager and rage he had been suppressing from his loveless childhood.
Luna looked down clearly upset. "That's terrible...I never knew,"
"No one does. You know more about my past then anyone now Luna." Harry said suddenly feeling drained.
"You look tired. Come inside I will make you a cup of tea." Luna offered taking Harry's hand and pulling him into the house.
It was as strange as it had been when Harry had last been there. Full of strange artifacts that where most likely rubbish. Luna sat him down on a couch and brought out already made tea. Harry took a sip and already felt better as he looked at Luna who was sitting beside him.
"I'm sorry about everything you've had to go through Harry. Thank you for sharing with me though. No one has ever shared anything with me before." Luna whispered quietly taking a sip from her own cup.
"No I'm sorry Luna," Harry replied. "I don't think I've been a very good friend to you."
"You're the best friend I've ever had Harry," Luna said sincerely,
"That's not good enough Luna. You deserve a true friend. You have done so much for me. You've fought beside me on countless occasions. I guess what I'm trying to say is, thank you for being a true friend Luna. I just want to be a true friend to you too. If you ever need anything at all just tell me, OK?"
Luna nodded finishing her tea and carefully putting it down. Then she was hugging Harry so hard he thought he was going to suffocate. He couldn't remember the last time Luna had hugged anyone. Harry felt her let go and saw she had a big warm smile on her face, Luna had finally realized that she had a real friend.
"If anything ever bothers you I want you to tell me too Harry". Luna said seriously before giving him a thoughtful look. "You're just like him you know."
"Like who?" Harry asked.
"Beethoven, you're like him in so many ways. Unhappy childhood, abusive home, messy hair, quick temper, but most of all you're both selfless. You know that song I was playing? He wrote that when he first began to realize he was losing his hearing. In a couple of years he had gone completely deaf and he lost the only thing in his life that made him happy." Luna hummed sadly.
"That's horrible," Harry whispered the idea was just heartbreaking but then he saw Luna smile.
"You know what he did Harry. He kept writing music even though he couldn't hear it. He knew music so well he could still write the greatest music known to mankind and never heard it? He believed that music made the world a better place and I too believe this." Luna looked out the window and back at the moon.
"That is the type of person I want to be Harry. Someone who can make the world a better place no matter what. Just like my mom, just like you Harry."
Luna looked back to him and patted his head. She then got up and returned to the piano. She began to play the same sad song while Harry listened in deep thought. With a clean conscience he felt his eyes close and he succumbed to sleep.
Sign up to rate and review this story