Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Curious Case of Luna Lovegood

My Mother's Work

by Marvolo666 0 reviews

Buzzzzzzzzzz

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Humor,Romance - Characters: Draco,Harry,Hermione,Luna - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2017-01-01 - 2389 words - Complete

0Unrated
What happened between Harry and Luna on the roof of the astronomy tower was a complete secret. So naturally the whole school knew.

Harry walked into the great hall and immediately heard the whispers from the students. He assumed they were discussing Luna's shocking revelation from yesterday as he took his usual spot at the Gryffindor table with Ron and Hermione. He realized that something was different, they weren't bickering. Instead they were staring at him.

"What?"

"Are the rumors true" Hermione asked an excited smile.

"Rumors?" Harry asked confused.

"That you banged OW I mean you and Loony OW I mean Luna uh... became a couple last night...In some way OW. Hermione stop stepping on my foot!"

Harry looked at them with surprise "Ho...How did you know?"

"So you did nail Lu...OW!"

"NO I DID NOT RON! GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE GUTTER!" Harry yelled, amused by Ron's reddening face.

Hermione however was absolutely beaming "You ARE a couple."

Harry laughed "Can't get nothing past you can I, but how the Hell do people already know."

Ron snorted. "Well no one knows for certain but Luna's been skipping around the school for the past two hours singing love songs. Everyone knows how she feels about you and after yesterday, her being in a great mood seemed unlikely…unless...well you know."

Harry smiled and looked over his shoulder to the Ravenclaw table. Luna was looking up at the sky with a bright smile on her face. Without looking she waved at Harry who waved back.

"I would love to discuss all this with you two but I have class in an hour..."

Harry felt something hit the back of his head. He turned around and saw Luna laughing as he picked the cupcake off the floor. There was a note stuck to it.

"What's wrong with owls?" Ron laughed as he took the cupcake from Harry who opened the small note.

Meeting with Head Mistress in 10 minutes BE THERE!

"Ronald please tell me you didn't just eat that cupcake."

"Luna I'm happy to meet with you but please don't ever throw cupcakes at me," The Headmistress scolded Luna as the three of them met in her office.

Luna didn't listen or waste any time and cut to the chase. Her voice was shockingly focused and determined. "First I would like to drop all my classes since I am certain that I cannot do wand magic anymore."

"Second I would like to remain at Hogwarts for the time being so I can start my own research. I'm going to be a squib again and I'm going to make sure I accomplish all I can before that happens."

"Third I hold no grudge with Michael Corner but his actions have been offensive not just to me but Muggleborns too. I can handle myself but a Head boy should set an example for the students and he just promotes prejudice. I feel it is in the best nature of the school that he be stripped of his position and it should be given to someone else who understands the consequences of hate. Fourth..."

"Luna please give me a second to process this all." The Headmistress interrupted while Harry was staring at Luna. Where the bloody hell did this Luna come from.

"First you are too late Luna. Michael has already been stripped of his Head boy duties for the very reason you mentioned. That attitude cannot be accepted at Hogwarts especially so soon after the war. In fact he is still in the hospital wing trying to regrow his hair."

"As for your classes I'm afraid I have to agree with you, it would be impractical for you to participate in them under you condition. However I must ask what you would like to research."

"None of your concern Head Mistress. I will be doing this research and nothing is going to stop me, which brings me to my Fourth point. Since I am of age, I would like to issue my right to ban my father from Hogwarts grounds unless he is given my personal invitation. I love him but he will try and stop my research, as will most of the Wizarding world. Nothing is going to stop me."

By now Harry and McGonagall where floored by Luna's attitude. Luna grabbed Harry's hand and started to drag him out of McGonagall's office before stopping to speak in far more Luna like fashion.

"Oh I have a candidate for Head boy. He wanders the school in many faces, BYE!"

After walking silently through the hall Harry broke the silence. "Umm Luna where did THAT come from."

Luna grimaced "I needed to be taken seriously so I decided to pretend I wasn't me. To act like that was unpleasant. Sorry if it bothered you as much as it bothered me."

"You want to finish your mothers work, don't you?" Harry said softly.

Luna nodded "I just want to help people. I believe my mothers work will help people. If it's the last thing I do as a witch then so be it."

Luna stopped and took Harry's hand, "This is going to be dangerous for me. I can't trust anyone not even Minerva or Filius. I need your help Harry, You're the only person I trust with all my heart and I can't do this alone."

"I understand Luna, I'm here for you, OK?" Harry said determined and Luna smiled at this.

"You made one of my dreams come true last night Harry. I didn't think dreams could come true but now that one has, I feel like I can do anything. I'm not doing this so I can keep my magic Harry...though that would be wonderful. I'm doing this because my mother believed that with a little bit of magic you can change the world into a utopia. How could I not try to fulfill that dream?"

"There is something else though isn't there?" Harry pressed.

Luna looked up surprised but she continued. "I'm used to being insulted. I've been called Loony my whole life...and so has my Mother. I've heard her be called far worse than Loony. She's been called Failure, Disgrace, Dangerous, and a Disappointment. She was the most brilliant person I ever met, Dumbledore included, and people still insult my mom. Well I'm going to show the world just how brilliant she was. It's the least she deserves..."

Luna seemed to go far off into her mind. Harry held her close to him as she looked up.

"For the first time in my life I feel I have some control over my life. Maybe I can be a witch. Maybe I can go to the Moon! I WILL FINISH MY MOTHERS WORK!"

Luna seemed surprised when she yelled the last part. She looked back up to Harry.

"Meet me in the Hogwarts Kitchens during lunch. There is someone you will want to meet," Luna kissed Harry on the cheek and ran off before he could say anything.

"She's full of energy isn't she?" Harry turned to see Hermione walking towards him.

"I think she's just very happy. I think she has hope now." Harry said thoughtful.

"Hope can be a dangerous thing Harry. I don't think you realize how much danger Luna is in."

Harry shook his head. "I don't think you do. Wizards don't use electricity, phones, television, pens, and have spent more time trying to hide from Muggles than trying to actually accomplish anything. Wizards don't like change. When Luna says she can't trust anyone she means it."

Hermione seemed to go pale "I wonder...never mind we've got class."

"NO! ARE YOU CRAZY LOONY! HE IS GOING TO KILL ME! I GOT TO GET OUT OF HERE!

"Calm down," Luna hummed. "Harry isn't going to hurt you and don't call me loony."

"If you don't want me to call you Loony then don't do loony things. You really want ME to be..."

Just then Harry appeared in the kitchen and froze.

Luna grinned "Hi Harry. I would like to introduce you to the New Head Boy of Hogwarts Draco Malfoy."

Draco gave a weak nervous smile and waved. It was hard to believe this was the same Malfoy. His swagger and elitist attitude had been replaced by a skinny, weak and passive boy.

"What happened to you?" Harry asked more to himself as he looked at the sorry state of his long time enemy.

"I had 'You Know Who' living in my house for over a year. Now my Father is in prison while my Mother is in St. Mungo's recovering from an accident." Draco seemed to shudder but continued "I...I know we haven't exactly seen eye to eye but I swear I don't want to hurt anyone. I just want to be left alone. I have nowhere else to go. I've even been taking polyjuice potions to go to my classes in order to avoid any trouble. I don't want to be Head Boy."

Harry had to agree. Replacing Michael with Draco was like replacing a rat with a snake.

Luna interrupted "Have you heard about Michael?"

"All these house elves do is talk and cook. They say he had some big melt down and you finally told everyone that you are a squib and that Potter here is your BOYFRIEND!" Malfoy started to laugh before looking up at the two of them. "It's true then WOW!, and I thought Granger and Weasley was an odd couple,"

"You knew she was a squib?" Harry asked surprised.

Draco seemed to shrink at this as he looked at Luna. "The death eaters found out about her while she was a prisoner in my home...They had infiltrated the department of mysteries and were hoping to find a way to detect mudbloo...Muggleborns. They found out about Luna and then...my aunt found out too. Why do you want to help me Luna? After everything I did to you..."

"You did nothing Draco. You were kind to me if anything."

"But Bellatrix..."

"Never mind that now. Would you like to try and stop more prejudice from hurting people?" Luna asked Draco who simply nodded.

"No one will listen to me I'm still a DEATH EATER!" Draco scowled showing them his dark mark.

Suddenly Luna's eyes flashed into a grin "If I can change that, would you dedicate your last year at Hogwarts to standing up for Muggles and Muggleborns?"

"I'd dedicate my life to it, but you can't change. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" Malfoy gasped as she grabbed his. arm and plunged her finger into his dark mark.

Harry couldn't believe what he was seeing. The dark mark was leaving Malfoy's arm and turning Luna's finger black. Luna then began to suck on her finger as if she cut it and the black was gone. She then spat black paint onto the floor.

"That tasted worse than Aquavirius Maggots," Luna hummed.

Draco looked like he could cry. "It's...g...gone! I'm free! How...how...did you..."

To Harry's shock Draco suddenly hugged them both as he broke down. Harry looked over to Luna who gave him a loving smile.

Two nights later Hermione was in the library doing research. It was not for any class however and it wasn't even for a book. She was meeting someone there. Someone she despised but could rely upon for information.

"There she is, the devil herself," Hermione smiled as she raised her wand, shooting a spell towards the buzzing sound. Suddenly there was a yelp and Rita Skeeter appeared.

"I really wish you would stop doing that, you little..."

Hermione cut her off "I find it strange that Luna's secret has remained out of the Daily prophet but her relationship with Harry is front page."

Rita laughed. "We both know this is exactly what was to be expected. The Ministry may be fighting a losing battle trying to keep Luna's secret in the dark but they will fight it."

"So, is Luna in danger?" Hermione asked the big eyed witch.

"You have no idea," Rita smirked. "That little freak is dangerous and we all know what the ministry does to dangerous people. I've been following her around actually. Just because the ministry doesn't want her in the prophet doesn't mean I won't find some use of the biggest story of the decade. A decade mind you, that saw Voldemort's rise and fall."

"Is it that big?" Hermione asked shocked.

"Not yet but from what I've heard Luna wants to finish Mommy's work and I suddenly think Mommy knew more than we thought...The Loony is in more danger than Potter was during the war."

Hermione was gaping now, "How can it be more dangerous than that?"

Rita smiled "Because Harry had friends. People who would support him. No one will support Luna and it's not the evil wizards who want her dead. I have already overheard talks in the ministry of assassinating the girl."

Hermione gasped at this information. "What are we going to do about it?"

"We?" Rita asked skeptically.

"Yes, WE unless you want the Ministry to learn YOUR BUZZING SECRET!" Hermione yelled as Rita tried to shush her.

"Fine I get it. I think we wait and I'll keep my ears open. I will also try and get the message in the paper. It might encourage other attackers but at least it will put the Ministry on its toes."

"What about the Minister? He's friends with Harry."

"Don't count on that dear. This could very well go all the way to the top. I'd expect the Minister to visit peacefully to discuss Luna with Potter. The Minister's a good man but the fact remains. You can't trust anyone. The Wizarding world is not going to let a millennium of secrecy be washed away by silly little girl...Make sure Potter and Loony gets the message. Anyone can and probably will attack her, even the Hogwarts students or staff..." Rita sneered as she turned to leave.

"Wait I have a job for you," Hermione said causing Rita to turn looking frustrated but intrigued.

"I need you to sneak into the Department of Mystery's and find out everything you can on Luna and her mother Pandora. Specifically on how she died."
Sign up to rate and review this story