Categories > Original > Drama > Crimson Mood

chapter two

by bxtch2st0n3d 0 reviews

the phenex are visited by an unexpected guest while Lydia finds herself wrapped in the arms of a mortal lover.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Horror,Sci-fi - Warnings: [V] [X] [R] - Published: 2017-01-25 - Updated: 2017-01-25 - 3972 words

0Unrated
Two
Two white vans pulled up in front of a small apartment complex in the small suburb of Seattle. A young woman stepped out of the van, it was raining, yet there she stood with sunglasses on. The young man watching from a window above thought this to be very odd, but didn’t think much of it. He put his joint out in the ash tray on the ledge and shut the window.
The young woman watched as he walked away. “Lydia, don’t just stand there, grab something! Its pouring out here.” Ore said to her. He was a very broad man, muscular. With his freshly shaved head he looked like a Vin Diesel wanna-be. He picked up six bags of their luggage while Lydia picked up two.
They trudged up the steps, Ore flying passed Lydia to the third floor. They walked to the end of the hall where two doors were wide open. 354, 356. They threw the luggage outside of the rooms in a pile to be sorted later. As Lydia went to turn to the steps she noticed a congregation outside a closed door in one of their apartments. She walked in to investigate.
“Belle locked herself in and she won’t come out.” Preta said filling her in. She scratched her head, pushing her long, silky black hair into her face.
“She just trying to avoid getting wet.” Lydia joked. Valac and Isis looked up at her from consoling Belle through the door, a look of disgust from the inappropriate comment. “Preta come help with the bags” Lydia said to her friend.
The rain poured on their heads but between the seven carrying bags they finished quickly. Lydia noted a few times how most of the bags belonged to Isis but Donovan was quick to silence her. After that they all went to their rooms to relax after the long move. Isis put Lydia and Preta together even though Lydia was not in her favor. Lydia was grateful.
“We should go out, explore the area.” Preta said as she looked out the window into the dark night.
“They need to make sure we made it here arrived here unnoticed. On top of that Preta, you don’t look a day over 17. They wouldn’t let you into a bar or a club without identification.” Lydia smiled sweetly at her naïve friend.
“It’s silly how paranoid they are.”
Preta had never met any other demons beside her small family, unlike Lydia. Lydia knew of the danger another family could bring. Because of that she obeyed Donovan’s wishes, but only for a few nights. After that she wouldn’t be able to stand being locked in a house with all of them. Even Preta as much as she loved her.
After an hour or so of talking, Preta fell asleep, and Lydia decided to venture into the kitchen for a snack. Crossing through the living room she ran into the eldest members of her group, gathered with grave looks on there faces.
“Is Preta asleep?” Donovan asked her. She nodded. “Good, come and sit with us.”
Lydia was never asked to join when these types of meetings when they occurred. Even though she was 800 years older than Ore, she had no interest. This invitation caught her off guard so she took a seat between Valac and Ore.
“Where’s Belle?” She asked, curious of her absence. This was unusual for Belle.
“Belle won’t be joining us. We have bigger matters at the moment anyway. What we’re about to tell you Lydia needs to stay between us. Do you understand?” Isis has taken over the conversation. This was very serious. “Yes.”
“There is another family in the area. They are allies of the Saleos.” Isis continued. “Luckily, they only have an idea where we are located, but we’re too close to their family home to feel comfortable. We know they’re not as large as the Saleos but they are as old. Just as old as the Saleos, maybe wiser. And they have money and power in this state.”
“So, we need to leave again?” Lydia sighed.
“No. It would be too dangerous if we just up and left. They’ll be keeping an eye out for anything suspicious and that would be too obvious. We need to stay here, for now. But very soon we will have to leave.”
“Why do I need to keep this between us? Why can’t I tell Preta?”
“We don’t want to alert her or Ren just yet. There’s no point.” Isis looked tired, she rarely looked tired. “Please, can you do this for us, for them?”
Lydia took a moment even though she knew she didn’t have much of a choice. She also knew her family was now in danger. As much as she was bothered by their presence at times, she wished no harm on them. Or herself, and she was in as much danger as they were. “I promise. I don’t know if I can keep Preta from suspecting I’m keeping something from her, but I promise I won’t say a word.”
Isis gave Lydia a smile that warmed her. Like she used to when Lydia was younger. There was a time when the two were very close, inseparable some would say. Lydia missed those times and she missed that smile she was rarely given anymore being so rebellious. “Thank you, Liddie.” She hadn’t called her by that name in many years.
After they assessed all the options, and they made a basic plan, hoping to stick as closely to it as possible, Ravan, Gaia, Amon and Valac went back to their apartment. Isis and Donovan went to their room. They continued to discuss matters for a little bit, eventually taking a break to make love. Lydia and Ore sat in the living room talking, flipping through the channels of the t.v.
“There’s never anything to watch after 3 in the morning.” Ore said
“Not unless you like infomercials. Maybe something on the movie channels.” Lydia replied as she stood up.
“Where are, you going?” he stared at her.
“Outside for a smoke. I’ll be right back.”
“You heard Isis. We can’t leave. Do you want her to send Donovan after you like last night, do you?”
No, that was one thing she didn’t want. But she needed a breath of fresh air, if only for a minute. “I swear I’ll be right back.”
Lydia pulled her hood over her head. She tucked her dark brown hair into the sides. Her bangs were long now, she was well over due for a haircut but she hadn’t had the time lately. She skipped happily down the steps, happy to be out of the house. The cigarette between her lips bounced as she jumped the last few steps. She flew out the door lighting the cigarette the instance she was through. She was in such a hurry she didn’t notice the guy from earlier standing there.
“Whoa!” he was startled as the door almost hit him as she swung it open. She looked at him with startled eyes.
“I’m so sorry! I didn’t think anyone would be out here.” She said.
“It’s okay. You missed me by this much.” He held up his thumb and pointer finger “you’re lucky I have cat like reflexes.”
“Yeah I guess I am.” She smiled shyly. She looked him over and he did the same. Her defenses were up as she still wasn’t sure if this was a Saleos or one of the other family spies. But she quickly realized he was just a mortal, physically attracted to her.
“Hey you were the one with sunglasses earlier, weren’t you? You just moved in.” he acted as if he just came to this realization. Lydia took a drag off of her cigarette.
“You were the one spying from the window.” She smiled back. “Do you mind?” she said pointing at his joint.
“No not at all.” He passed it to her for her to take a nice long drag. “Pretty, and smokes.”
“When the mood strikes me.” She handed it back to him.
He kept looking to her to continue the conversation. “I’m Evan.” He said putting out his hand.
“Lydia.” She delicately placed her hand into his.
“Pleasure to meet you. So where did you live before here?” he asked her.
A very personal question, but no uncommon in these situations with mortals. She answered hesitantly. “Philadelphia.”
“Wow, cross country, huh? How was the trip?”
“Peaceful.” She replied. He somehow sensed she wanted to be alone by her tone. But he kept asking questions, long past her finishing her cigarette. She kept responding, enjoying the new company. His name was Evan.
She knew some time had passed and was hoping if anyone came looking for her it would be Ore. “I really should get some sleep.” She finally said.
“Yeah me too, I should be getting to work soon. It was nice meeting you Lydia.”
“You as well Evan.”
She began to walk away, before she was through the door had one more thing to say “If you’re ever bored, I’m in apartment 201.”
She smiled back at him, he silently celebrated after she had walked away. Lydia grinned ear to ear as she walked up the steps knowing the impact she had made on Evan’s morning.
As soon as Lydia walked through the door Ore’s eyes were on her. “That was longer than a few minutes.” He said.
“I told you I needed some air.”
He stared as she walked past, the little triumphant smile on her face, suspecting something was array. But didn’t question it too much. She went to the fridge and grabbed a water bottle then went back to her room. She quietly shut the door, not to wake Preta. As she laid in her bed Evan’s face appeared in her head. She smiled and drifted off to sleep.
In the morning, Lydia awoke to the strong smell of bacon. She looked over to Preta’s bed and it was empty. As she walked out in the living room where she was greeted by Preta and Ren smiling ear to ear with bacon and pancakes in front of them.
“Morning!” Preta greeted her as she sleepily made her way to the table.
Isis was over at the counter making herself some coffee, she looked up at Lydia and smiled. “Want some pancakes?” she handed Lydia a plate.
The table chatter was light hearted. Ren babbled on about a dream she had the night before. She ended up sleeping over at the other apartment since Belle had locked herself in the room. Isis said she was going to put her with Lydia and Preta since they had a larger room. At least until they could get Belle out. Ren asked them a few times why Belle had locked herself in the room, but none of them could give her an honest answer.
They all helped each other clean the dishes. It was easy to keep Ren and Preta happy, but Isis found it hard to keep Lydia as happy anymore. She didn’t understand Lydia’s obsession with mortals, she didn’t understand the power it gave it. She didn’t want to. Isis thought Lydia was on an immoral path that would only lead to her downfall. What if she was found out or worse? What if another family got out to her while she was out alone? Lydia never thought of these things.
Eventually Ren found a book, while Preta preferred to draw. She was a very talented artist. Lydia watched in amazement as she put her pen to paper and began to create a beautiful forest scene, with mountains in the background and a small village beside a lake.
“It was my home. I always wonder if it looks the same.” She said.
“Probably not. It’s been a while since you left.” Lydia replied. She grew bored of watching her, as beautiful as her picture was.
“One hundred and twenty-eight years.” She replied.
“Do you miss it?” Lydia asked her.
“Not very much. I wasn’t treated very well. That’s why I was given the name Preta.”
“What does it mean?”
“A Preta is a ghoul that suffers from their past karma. They are feared and very ugly.” A tear ran down her dark face.
“Preta you’re very beautiful.” Lydia comforted her. “And just remember, in the eyes of mortals you’re the most beautiful creature on the face of this earth.”
Pretta laughed. “I don’t think I could spite Isis like you do.”
Lydia peaked up at Isis to see if she was looking, which she was. She always was. Lydia looked back down at Preta’s illustration to act like she had never caught glance. Her bright blue eyes with her bleached platinum blonde hair matched so perfectly making her look like a living Barbie. She was tall, like a model. Lydia usually compared her to the cheerleader stereo type. Which even Donovan and the others agreed much to her dismay.
There was a knock on the door, then it creaked open. Gaia’s head popped through. Ren rejoiced at the sight of her, running over hugging her through the door. She laughed at Ren’s greeting.
Lydia was told to take Ren and Preta into the room. She didn’t stay back there and decided to eaves drop on whatever Gaia had to say to Isis. As she crept passed Belle’s room, she couldn’t help but hear her sobs. She wonder what troubled Belle so much, but couldn’t quite hear what Isis and Gaia were talking about so she moved forward more.
“They still don’t know which family he’s from.” Gaia said.
“What time did they find him?” Isis asked.
“I remember Ravan waking me up when he got out of bed. I’m not sure what time it was, but the sun was barely up.”
“Did they kill him yet?”
“Not yet they’re still questioning him.”
Lydia’s mind raced back to Evan. She wondered if she had a slip of judgement and if the others would find out. She still had some doubt if it was even him.
“Do you know when they will be back?” Isis had a hint of worry to her voice. She hated when the men left her alone with the younger ones. She was surprised Gaia was still here, that she had slept through the action. It was rare that she wasn’t fighting beside her Ravan.
“I wish. I don’t know how you do it Isis. I can’t stand just sitting here waiting.”
“Someone has to watch Ren and Preta. Why aren’t you with them?”
“I was tired. I haven’t been feeling well you know.”
“I know. Do you need anything?”
“There’s not much I can do but wait.”
Lydia quietly back to her room, passed Belle still sobbing. Who did they find? she kept asking herself over and over. She flopped on the bed. Preta and Ren tried to ask her what they were talking about but she refused to give in. she really wanted to try and keep her word to Isis even though she was keeping things from her. Lydia knew she hadn’t shown interest in so long but this was a serious situation.
Across town, the Donovan and the rest of the guys were carefully interrogating the demon that was lerking outside of their apartment complex in the early hours. It was not Evan, but a very old, frail looking man.
“Who sent you?” Valac asked the man, gripping his throat tight.
“I told you I’ve lived alone the past several months, my family disowned me.” He said calmly for a man with his air being blocked.
“And why would they disown you? You seem like a wonderful fellow.”
“What was your family’s name?” Donovan jumped in. He was far more interested in this than how the scum was abandoned by his own. Hopefully whatever crime he had committed and had been punished for was enough for him to turn on his own.
“If your goon here takes his hands off me I can tell you.” The man gasps. Donovan looks to Valac to release his grip and he does, but still stands close, waiting for the command to kill.
“You were released now speak. You’ve had time to catch your breath.” Donovan demanded answers. The man could see Donovan was an impatient and vicious man. He also saw he was well outnumbered, five to one. With the odds being against him he knew he needed to provide some answers.
“I am, or was, a member of the Leraje family.”
“Are they allies to the Saleos?” Donovan asked. The man laughed at his question and he grew angry. Donovan asked the man again. “Are they allies to the Saleos? Answer me!”
The man continued to laugh. As Valac and Amon closed in on the man while Donovan and Ravan glared at him with rage, he knew his minutes were numbered. So he gave up the information they suck, and more.
“They know you Donovan Phenex. They know you’re here. Maybe not exactly where yet, but they will. And the Saleos will come for you, as they always do. It’s a shame though, Isis would have looked beautiful on my cock before we decapitated her.” The old man continued to laugh, mocking them. He knew they would kill him any second now. He wanted them to. But he still had some questions to answer first.
“How do you know me? How do you know of this family?” Donovan screamed. He didn’t care if this man knew he had struck a nerve. He brought his sweet Isis into the conversation. If it wasn’t for Ravan holding him back, he would have ripped out the man’s jugular. “Tell me old man, how do you know us?”
“You will know soon, but you’ll have to figure it out on your own Donovan. I will not tell you in this life.” The man used his tongue to pull down something behind his tooth.
“Don’t let him swallow it!” Donovan screamed. They all launched forward but it was too late. The man’s face was suddenly filled with blue veins popping from the skin. Foam overflowed from his mouth as the black blood from his black heart dripped from his nose and eyes. He was dead.
The demons walked back from the warehouse in silence taking it what had happened. How he knew so much about their family. Who the Leraje were to the Saleos. Their mids raced with questions. Finally, Ore asked the question on all their minds.
“What now?” he asked, looking to their leader.
“I don’t know.” Donovan said quietly. For once he didn’t know. He hoped once he got home to Isis they would be able to think of something. He hoped she wasn’t in a mood.
As they walked through, Isis was immediately on Donovan. They ended up going into their room to fight as the rest of us were filled in by Ravan. Ren and Preta were sent to their room, but Lydia spotted them listening in the shadow of the hall. She said nothing to the others put signaled for them to be quiet.
“Instead of fighting they should be planning our next move.” Amon said rolling his eyes.
“Hush, you should give them a break. There’s a lot to making sure our family is safe. It’s a hard job.” Gaia came to their defense.
“If we wait too long, they’ll get the advantage.” Valac said, agreeing with Amon.
“If we start a mutiny we’ll become weak. And that will be our downfall.” Ravan added. He looked to Gaia for comfort. She nuzzled her head into his chest as he kissed her forehead.
“They’re going to kill us.” Ore said. “They know where we are. They’ll slit our damn throats while we sleep. We need to leave, get the fuck out of here!” Lydia went up to him and put her hand on his shoulder.
“This is no time for weakness.” She spoke softly, and put him at ease.
“She’s right.” Valac stood up. “But we do need to take action and fast.”
“Do you really think that’s wise?” Gaia asked him.
“It’s better than sitting here waiting to die.” he said.
The door, opened and Donovan walked out. Isis was not behind him, everyone stared to him for answers. “We’re not going to die.” He said, looking to Preta and Ren who were listening the whole time. Then to Valac. “We’re not doing anything tonight though. These were the words a diluted soul. We need to find facts backing his words.”
Valac looked as if he was going to protest, but Donovan’s words were final. Valac was sent outside for first watch to cool off after Gaia made him promise not to cause any problems or get into any trouble. She then took Ravan back to their room to make love to him after being without him. She was just glad he had returned.
Lydia took Preta and Ren to bed. Later she came out to help Donovan Console Ore. After they all went to bed she snuck out the door, and down the stairs to room 202. She knocked on the door softly hoping he was there. The door opened, he smiled when he saw who it was.
“Lydia, wasn’t expecting to see you so soon.” He smiled.
“You know neither did I.” she gave an uncomfortable laugh. He could hear the stress in her voice. He offered her to come in a smoke a joint with him. She gladly accepted.
As they sat on his couch toking on the joint, he didn’t ask her what troubled her. In fact, he did most of the talking. But he made her laugh more times than she had in a long time. She was so comfortable with him, he was easy to talk to. And he wasn’t hard on the eyes either. His dark hair and tan completion were beautiful to Lydia. When he spoke, especially about football, he loved football, his brown eyes lit up. They were large and full of life. Not dull life most brown eyes. Lydia listened to his tales of the Army and dancing the night away with a pretty girl and taking her to bed, his escapades full of speed, alcohol, and fast cars. She envied the way mortals lived. Their lives were so short but they took full advantage of every moment, every breath. Especially Evan. He was still wild and young at heart, a bachelor at nearly 40. Lydia admired his free spirit.
“I should head to back.” She said, lifting her head from his shoulder.
He turned to face her and look her in the eyes, but she quickly turned away and stood up. He looked insulted but stood up to walk her out. “Want to come over tomorrow?”
“I’d like that.” She turned back for one more look. She was so caught up in his features she didn’t notice he was coming in for a kiss. By the time she did it was too late. Contact. Their lips met and in an instant, it was Lydia who was hypnotized by a mortal and lead to the bed room.
Sign up to rate and review this story