Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Curious Case of Luna Lovegood

The Politician

by Marvolo666 0 reviews

Some Muggles are evil. Some Muggle-born and Muggle-raised grow up in abusive homes. Many of their parents fear our magic. Some even react violently to their magical children. In order to protect th...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Harry,Kingsley,Luna - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2017-02-23 - 2682 words - Complete

0Unrated
Hogwarts hit by Muggle Missile!
Yesterday Morning, on the 5th of November, a Muggle weapon known as a missile, hit and destroyed the Hogwarts Astronomy Tower. There have been no reported casualty's, however the cost in damages are staggering.
When we spoke to the Minister he had this to say.
"Our Aurors have found evidence the Muggle weapon was indeed a missile. The weapon was not intentionally aimed at Hogwarts. Since the castle is under a powerful 'Notice Me Not Charm,' Muggles would not have realized they were testing their weapon in a populated area. There has been no break in the Statute of Secrecy, however I will be holding a conference at Hogwarts to discuss the issue further.
"We live in dangerous time. Muggles are getting more powerful and dangerous. We cannot interfere with them, however we cannot simply ignore the problem. It is time the Wizarding world understands what we are up against."

"I don't like the sound of this" Harry sighed as he handed the Daily Prophet back to Luna.
"A Missile? There was more than one explosion! It was bombs!" Luna shouted, getting looks from around the great hall.
"Luna, most of them don't even know what a bomb is, let alone a missile," Harry groaned. "The Muggleborns are outnumbered. Whatever the Minister's going to say..."
Harry was interrupted by the sound of applause as the Minister stepped into the Great Hall. He was followed by reporters, Aurors and other Ministry officials. The parents of many students were already in the great hall, making sure their kids where safe, and of course to hear the Minister's speech.
The Minister stood up on the Podium to face the sea of faces. He raised his wand to his throat as his voice echoed throughout the room. "Ladies and Gentleman, Witches and Wizards, Fellow Britishmen, Good Morning."
Shacklebolt was applauded as he continued. "It has been six months since the war has ended. Instead of being weak and divided, THE UNITED KINGDOM HAS NEVER BEEN STRONGER!"
After more cheers the Minister spoke. "The castle has been rebuilt, the Ministry cleaned out You-Know-Who's supporters, and has become a democracy, with the Wizengamot becoming more like the Muggle's Parliament. I cannot take the credit for I could not have done it without the Wizards and Witches of England. You assigned me to fix things but it was you who did my job. I owe you, I applaud and bow to you, my countryman."
As Royal bowed, the room erupted in applause. When he spoke again his voice was more solemn. "The Castle has been rebuilt but already is in ruins again…this time by accident. Once again we will rebuild but how many more times must we rebuild our school.
"I have been met with nothing but resistance since placing Aurors at Hogwarts. Yet without them, this school would have burned to the ground! This is a place for children, not destruction. We cannot tolerate this any further. How many more children must we lose to ignorance? The Dark Lord's followers were ignorant of the Muggles, so are we."
Kingsley paused before he whispered above the crowd. "For years the Ministry has kept you all in the dark, but no more. I am the Minister now, and I am a Minister appointed by the people, for the people. I did not run for the office, the people demanded and I succumbed to their demands. I carry this burden for you. So now I must be the bearer of bad news."
Confusion spread across the crowd as the Minister waved his wand, showing an image. "This is a Bomb. It is a Muggle made device that can destroy buildings and kill hundreds."
The crowd gasped as the Minister changed the image. "This is a Missile. A bomb that can travel great distances to hit a target. A Missile can miss its target and hit another, like Hogwarts. The Muggles have no idea what they did nor will they ever find out. Luckily no one was killed."
"How did the Missile get through Hogwarts wards?" Luna shouted over the crowd but the Minister ignored her and showed the next image.
"My fellow Englishmen, This is an atom bomb. This bomb has incredible power. During the Global Wizarding War, Muggles dropped two atom bombs and each bomb destroyed a city. They destroyed both Muggle cities, wiping them off the face of the earth. I don't mean wizard cities either, which has a couple thousand people. I'm talking over a hundred thousand."
"This bomb was the most powerful ever used in war, but now Muggles have bombs even more powerful. They have thousands of these bombs. The dark truth is that Muggles have become more powerful then we can ever hope to achieve. The Muggles have the power to destroy us all."
The crowd burst into panic, causing the Headmistress to cast a silencing spell on the room. It took over five minutes before the crowd calmed enough for her to lift the spell.
"Thank you Minerva," Kingsley said calmly before continuing. "Unlike most Ministers, I am not a Politician. I am an Auror, a soldier. It is my duty to protect my fellow people. YOU ARE SAFE!"
"It is the future that I fear. More and more Muggleborn are pushing for us to reconnect with the Muggle people. I believe we must separate from them further. We cannot fight them, we cannot stop them. We cannot help them. We cannot save them from themselves
We must certainly not give them magic." The Minister scoffed. "Even if such lunacy was possible it would result in our destruction. Muggles are scared, superstitious people who burned us at the stake. They chased us with fire and pitchforks. Many of our kind died horrible deaths at their hands."
"Muggles are still cruel. They are destroying the earth. They fight wars over their religions. They kill those they do not understand. A few hundred years ago, Muggles enslaved each other. Many are still mistreated for no other reason than the colour of their skin. My colour to be precise. These are the people we trust with magic? With our existence?"
"It's not like wizards are anything like that Royal! It's not like we just fought a war against wizards who killed over supposed blood statutes!" Luna again yelled, and was again ignored.
"Of course not all Muggles are bad," Kingsley stated. "In fact most are wonderful, ordinary people like you. They're our fellow countryman. Many of the students here are the children of Muggles. Your current Headmistress had a Muggle father. The late, great Albus Dumbledore had a Muggle mother. However, some Muggles are evil. Some Muggle-born and Muggle-raised grow up in abusive homes. Many of their parents fear our magic. Some even react violently to their magical children. In order to protect those children and in order to further enforce our statutes of secrecy, I am putting forth the Muggle Relations Act."
"Muggles with Muggle born children will be observed to see if they are deserving parents of our children. I am confident most are. Once they are deemed worthy we tell the parent about our world and the child's part in it. The child should not learn until they are of the age of ten, since we know how kids talk."
The Minister grinned as the audience chuckled. "However, for parents who are deemed unworthy…They shall be Obliviated and their children raised in our world, by our kind. If the parent has done anything criminal, then they will be charged accordingly."
Audience erupted in more pandemonium with many for and against the new policy. This time it was the Minister who regained the attention of the people. "SILENCE! Are you not Englishmen? This is a democracy, we debate. We do not act like bloody savages."
As the audience was silenced the Minister chuckled. "Told you I wasn't a Politician." The mob laughed while the Minster turned his back to the audience in deep thought. He needed to sway the crowd, but he did have an ace up his sleeve.
"Something bad is going to happen." Luna whispered to Harry who nodded. "Royal knows it too."
Kingsley turned around and for the briefest moment, he met Harry's eye with sympathy. Then he spoke, "To show you why this law is so important, I am going to tell you an example of a Muggle raised child who could have benefited from this law. He was raised in a town called Little Winging…"
"DON'T YOU DARE!" Harry shouted as he rose from his seat. He succeeded in getting the Minister's attention, along with the entire great hall.
"I'm sorry Mr. Potter, I really am, but it's for the best." Kingsley answered.
"IT'S NONE OF THEIR GOD DAM BUSINESS!" Harry yelled as he stormed up to the Minister. The Aurors raised their wands at Harry, only for Kingsley to order them lowered. Kingsley cast a quick Muffliato Charm before speaking to Harry.
"You want this law passed or not Potter. I can stop children from being harmed." Kingsley whispered sharply.
"But where does it end, Royal? You push this fear of Muggles on wizards and they will demand that all Muggleborns be raised by Wizards." Harry argued.
"Then so be it." Kingsley snarled. "I have no problem with Muggles, but if they were to discover our secret, they would panic and kill us all. We belong separated from them Potter. Now excuse me, I have a speech to finish, or maybe you would like to tell them about your family life. It would be better coming from you."
Harry was shocked at the Minister's words. "Kingsley, we fought together. You were my friend. If that meant anything to you then please don't tell them," Harry begged.
Kingsley sighed, his eyes tired and weary, "If you knew me better, you would be no friend of mine."
Shacklebolt quickly removed his privacy spell and turned, facing the crowd. "If you want to know what Muggles are capable of one should look no farther than your savior Harry Potter. He was raised by relatives who starved him, worked him like a slave, beat him, and for the first eleven years of his life, he lived in a cupboard under the stairs…"
That was as far as he got before The Minister was floored by a right hand. The room was frozen in shock as they saw a livid Harry Potter scream at Kingsley, as Filius and Luna held him back from delivering more blows...
"YOU BASTARD! YOU BASTARD!"
The Great hall was completely consumed by chaos. The Aurors snapped back from their shock and sent over twenty stunners at Harry. Luna quickly raised her hand and deflected the spells back at the Aurors. Kingsley rose with his wand, only for Filius to blast him back with a powerful spell.
Filius and Harry fled the Great hall. "Harry you stupid, stupid boy. You just punched the Minister of magic in the bloody face...what was it like?"
"You just hit him with a blasting curse, you tell me." Harry countered.
Filius laughed "Like dueling, I'm alive again."
Luna ran up to meet them in a panic. "The students! They have all gone mad!"
They returned to the Great hall and saw the students where rioting. Chairs and tables where overturned, while swollen faces and bloody nose filled the room. Hermione was standing horrified in the corner, while Ron was among the rioters, poorly fighting three Slytherin students. All the tension and anger from the last few weeks had erupted.
"Why are you fighting?" Luna hummed sadly, her voice filling the great hall.
They all stopped and looked up her. Luna just shook her head. "It's people like you who make me Loony. I don't want to hurt anybody, but you people can't help yourselves. Why do you fight? Is it because he is a Mudblood? Or she a Pureblood? Is it because you are in different houses? Your houses mean nothing, you are fighting for nothing."
"You think your houses are your families? What kinds of family steals, bullies and excludes members for being different. Ravenclaw has been a very poor family to me. I once had a family but then I lost it. I turned to you for help and you turned against me. I only wanted a friend and you just laughed at me."
Everyone watched in shock as Luna started to shake with emotion. Harry tried to calm her but years of torment was fueling her anger. Every insult, every lonely day, and every stolen possession she cherished.
"You know, I think I hate you. You cheer me because I saved you, but you don't really care about me, the words I say, or anything at all. I don't want you. I don't need you anymore. I have a family now. I have a family that loves me and that is all you ever need. Magic is worthless if you live alone. I should know, I've been alone with magic and I've been a squib with a family. I'd choose family every time."
"ENOUGH!" Kingsley's cry echoed through the great hall. "Everyone, return to your rooms. You three shall not leave them until I return. GO NOW!"

Harry sat in silence in his room while Luna held him close. She was all that was keeping him from hunting down the Minister himself.
"He was my friend Luna, he betrayed me." Harry's voice caught. "I even trusted him with your life Luna, you mean too much to me. But I trusted him with my life. He spit it out for the world to see and for what."
"A reaction," Luna hummed calmly. "You where an opposition to his law so he wanted you to look bad."
"He got more than he bargained for." Filius muttered under his breath as he rubbed his tired eyes.
"This is only the beginning." Harry said morbidly. "What happened with the Astronomy tower was to put the fear of Muggles into wizards. Kingsley feels he is doing right…but he said something interesting."
Filius opened his eyes. "What do you mean?"
"He told me if I knew him better, I would not be his friend." Harry answered in deep thought.
Luna had a thoughtful look to her eyes. "Most curious, what is Royal hiding?"
Filius looked at Luna with tired eyes before he silently left the room.

Back at the Ministry, the Minister forced the door open to the Head Unspeakable's office.
"Hello Minister, how did your speech go today?" A woman's voice asked.
"You know damn well how it went. Harry Potter struck me, The Minister of Magic. If I arrest him I arrest the savior of the Wizarding world. If I don't, then I appear weak. I knew he would react badly but I did not expect him to have the gall!"
"I don't need him arrested. I need him detained for questioning, him and the freak." The woman replied. "As I recall the squib reflected a bunch of stunners back at the Aurors. Not to mention the Halfbreed attacked you as well. He knows too much so I think he should be silenced."
The Minister scoffed. "Easier said than done. Half breed or not, Filius is one of the greatest duelist there ever was. He will not go quietly."
"That is not my problem Minister. This is your mess, not mine." She muttered.
"You're the reason for this in the first place." Kingsley snapped back.
"But you failed to clean it up like I told you to and now we are facing the consequences." The woman whispered harshly. "Now go back and finish the job, and don't forget to bring the guards to seize that freak."
Kingsley froze "What if they kill her, or worse?"
"Unfortunate for us, but it's better than her getting away now." The woman said calmly.
Kingsley grimaced as he turned to leave the room. He stopped at the door only to say, "You know what, you really are the Devil."
Sign up to rate and review this story