Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Curious Case of Luna Lovegood

A True Goblin

by Marvolo666 0 reviews

Only when we lose everything do we live without fear

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Fantasy - Characters: Flitwick,Harry,Kingsley,Luna - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2017-02-23 - 4238 words - Complete

0Unrated
NO! Please don't leave me! Wake up dad! Don't be dead!" Luna cried over her mentor's body.
Many students were also in tears as they stared at their favorite Professor's body. Sir Filius Flitwick, Hero, Duelist, Champion, Innovator, Teacher, War Hero, Legend of Man and Goblin, was dead.
Luna cared not for these things. Her hero, her mentor, her friend, the man she had loved like a second father was dead. She raised her hand to his face and closed his eyes.
Then the eyes of the room turned away from the body of Filius and glared at the Minister of Magic. He found two wands already aimed at him. One belonging to Harry Potter and the other belonging to Minerva McGonagall.
"Tell me it's not true Kingsley," Minerva whispered. "Tell me it's not true."
Harry could see the sadness in Kingsley's eyes as he looked around him. He closed them and nodded. When his eyes opened, they were hardened and cold. He turned to Minerva and spoke calmly, "If Filius had lied to you, then he would not be dead."
"Why?" Luna cried as she stepped away from Filius' body and faced the Minister. "Why did you kill her? Why is my friend dead? WHY DID YOU KILL MY MOTHER?!"
Luna's anger could be felt as her magic filled the room. Her eyes were red from tears and she held flames in her hands. Kingsley, ignoring the wands aimed at him, took a step towards Luna full of pride. Kingsley Shaklebolt, the Minister of Magic, justified his crime.
"I did what I was told to do."
With that statement, Kingsley stood tall. "Before I became Minister of Magic, I was an Auror. It was my job to protect the Witches and Wizards of England. I fought in both Wizard wars, and I fought many dark forces. I have saved you all so many times, it's terrifying. One day I was given the assignment to protect you all from another danger. A Witch was trying to concoct ways to give magic to Muggles. If such a thing were to happen, the Wizarding world would fall."
"I have killed many Wizards and Witches but she was the only one who did not deserve it. But the orders came, so I killed her. I killed that woman without a moment's hesitation. I killed her because it was my duty."
"If you are so proud of this then why the cover up, Royal?" Harry uttered as he pressed his wand into the Ministers neck.
"I broke the damn law, Potter. I was a young Auror who would do anything to make it. So I formed an alliance with the Unspeakables. The actions of the Department of Mysteries are rarely legal, but the Ministry lets them do as they please. That is as long as it doesn't get out to the public. The Goblin may not have ended my life but he ended my future. I'm ruined. I shall be impeached by the end of the week.
"You're damn right." Minerva hissed.
Luna continued to fix the Minister with a hateful gaze. "Something doesn't add up. Who is the Earth Mother?
"There it is again, 'Earth Mother'. A strange but fitting name the prophecy gave her. Yes I know the prophecy. 'The Earth father unwise, with his compromise. With the Earth mother, the devil in disguise. The past shall reprise as another shall demise.' Thank your Headmistress for trusting me with that knowledge." Kingsley chuckled while Minerva fumed.
Kingsley's laughter was cut short as Luna's magic began to constrict around him. "What does it mean? ANSWER ME!"
Kingsley laughed. "I don't know how someone like you can know so much, yet be so ignorant. It speaks for itself girl. The answer is clear to one in touch with reality. You spend your days obsessing with fantasy, while you run from the truth. You act like the world is out to get you, but you're just a scared little girl who can't separate fact from fiction."
"I'd rather be a Loony than a MURDERER ROYAL!" Luna hissed.
"Murderer?" Kingsley roared "I saved your life child. I saved all your lives. Don't you fools get it? If that mad woman had lived, you would all be dead!"
"DON'T CALL MY MOTHER MAD!" Luna shouted at the Minister.
Kingsley scoffed. "She experimented on you girl. She used you as her little creation. Of course she was mad. She was Frankenstein to a Monster and believe me girl, YOU are the Monster!"
"SHUT UP!" Luna screamed as the air rose in temperature.
"You think she loved you. If only you knew the truth girl. You are nothing but a puppet on a string. Even in death she still uses you. None of us have free will, we all have our strings. The trick is to choose who holds them. I chose wisely dear girl and I'm not the only one." Kingsley taunted.
"YOU KILLED MY MOTHER! YOU KILLED MY FRIEND! I HATE YOU!" Luna shrieked.
Kingsley took a step forward as if to dare her. "Then do it, kill me! Fucking bury me! I can't stop you. Use your almighty powers to strike me down almighty Luna. Kill the Wizard who saved your lives. I will not repent. I shall be sacked and thrown in Azkaban anyway. So you might as well take your revenge. Show them all your great power. If you are capable that is."
"I'm more than capable Royal," Luna uttered under her breath.
"Then prove it." Kingsley commanded. "I've said all I'm going to say, and reinforcements will soon be here. I'm not afraid to die."
The room was engulfed in a blinding, burning light. The light forced Kingsley to his knees as he struggled to breathe under its force. Luna was shaking as she closed her tear stained eyes. As quickly as it came, the light left the room, leaving the Minister gasping for air.
"You should be afraid," Luna hummed sadly, her eyes remaining closed. "My mother is not here with me, but I know I will see her again. She is just on the other side of the veil. Who will you find beyond the veil Royal?"
Kingsley shook his head. "I don't know what you are talking about."
"You will, someday," Luna spoke. "The day you go beyond the veil, you will understand, but that day is not today."
Luna slowly walked away from Kingsley and knelt by the body of her mentor. Without sparing him a single glance, she whispered under her breath. "Get out."
Kingsley could not hide his confusion. "What?"
The gates of Hogwarts burst open and a darkness fell over the hall as Luna screamed. "GET OUT!"
The Minister did not need to be told thrice as he ran as fast as he could. He quickly summoned a broom and took off into the sky.
Ron looked between Luna and the fleeing Minister in confusion. "What are you doing? We have to stop him."
Luna shook her head, "No we don't. He is nothing now."
"But he killed you're…"
"I know that." Luna whispered. "He wanted to see what I was capable of. Well I am capable of mercy. Enough blood has been shed tonight. I don't want to stain myself with anymore…even his."
Luna kissed the forehead of Filius' body before she took his cold hand. Luna looked over her shoulder and took Harry's as well. "I don't think I shall return to Hogwarts. Bye."
And just like that Luna, Harry and the Late Goblin vanished from Hogwarts and Luna knew she would never return.

In the highest room of Gringotts, the owner of the bank waited for the inevitable. Ragnok was not an emotional Goblin. He was cold hearted like his people. He had personally participated in many executions and wasn't afraid to swindle his friends. He was not used to useless things like sympathy or empathy but soon he heard a knock on his door…
"You better have a Dochven good reason to be knocking on my door." Ragnok cursed at as he opened the door.
Bonesnapper took off his hat and bowed to the great Goblin. Ragnok sighed. "Dead?"
Bonesnapper nodded silently before whispering. "They just arrived in the Apparation room. Forgive me for being blunt my Lord, but I feel we should head down immediately.
Ragnok nodded and led the way through the hallowed halls of Gringotts. As they walked they found more Goblins heading to the Apparation room. When they arrived, Ragnok was greeted by many somber Goblins, hats removed from their heads.
"What is the meaning of this? Why are you not at your assigned stations?" Ragnok shouted despite knowing the answer.
The Goblins parted and revealed to him a sorrowful sight. A young blond girl he assumed to be Luna Lovegood, was on the floor crying on Harry Potter's shoulder. Beside the two young humans, was the body of Sir Filius Flitwick.
Ragnok froze at the sight of Filius, before he spoke unusually quiet. "Everyone return to your posts. Cargok, inform the ministry treaty clause 24, will be in effect on the ninth."
The Goblins quickly dispersed as Ragnok approached the humans. Luna looked broken to the Head Goblin as she whispered. "What will happen to him sir?"
Ragnok sighed, "He will be laid to rest in our most sacred of catacombs. Only the greatest of us are buried there. Half breed or not, Filius was the best of us."
Luna turned back to Harry and sobbed as Ragnok examined Filius' body. After a few minutes Ragnok spoke. "We shall make sure you are well accommodated until the funeral. You are welcome to stay long as you wish. When you are ready, my guards can take you to your room."
Ragnok turned to leave but hesitated. He rest his hand on Luna's shoulder and whispered. "You are not the only one who has lost someone today. The Goblins have lost a legend. Our entire nation shall be in grieving. Gringotts shall be closed the week of his funeral. I have lost more than that. He was my brother Miss Lovegood, half-brother at least."'
To the Goblin's surprise Luna hugged him and cried on his shoulder. The Goblin slowly patted her back in confusion before she let him go,
"Why did he have to die?" Luna mourned. "Why did he have to leave me?"
Ragnok shook his head. "He died for you. My brother had to die because he believed there were things greater than himself. He believes in you and your dream. That is what separated him from us Goblins. He was willing to die if it meant the world would be a better place. I never understood my brother, or at least his human side. Now that I have met you, I think I understand him a little better than before."
"I'm going to miss him," Luna whimpered weakly. Ragnok knew he would have a broken heart if he was human.
"We will all miss him, Luna." Harry whispered hoarsely. "But remember what your Mother told you. He hasn't left us, just like she hasn't Luna."
"I don't understand…Dead is dead. When we go, we don't come back. The dead have nothing to do with the living," Ragnok grunted.
"Then how do they hurt us after they go." Luna sighed. "How do they make us grieve for them? How do they make us laugh at the good times we shared? How do they inspire us, terrify us. How do they haunt us?"
Luna's eyes seemed to light up with understanding. "They live on through us. They live in our memories. We are memories and when we go, we will remain in the memories of others. They are always with us as long as we remember them. Only by forgetting, do they truly leave us."

"Minister, the Goblins have enacted the treaty clause 26. They are demanding Gringotts be closed on the ninth for the funeral of…"
"Obliviate," Kingsley whispered as he charmed his secretary. "You never saw me, you fell asleep and will awake in five minutes."
The secretary passed out, as Kingsley continued the ransacking of his office for personal possessions. He was in too deep now and he had to get out. There had to be some place he could go: America, France, Russia, Africa, Japan, Canada?
As he turned to leave his office he ran into an Unspeakable he recognized. "Mr. Corner, what are you doing in my office?"
The middle aged man's face was void of emotion as he whispered. "I am not Mr. Corner, Kingsley."
The Minister's blood ran cold, he knew who this was. "Polyjuice?"
The impostor nodded. "Mr. Corner is actually…on assignment. I found out he was responsible for the first security breach back in September. He basically told his son about the freak. Now his son is dead and Mr. Corner is being punished."
"How so?" Kingsley asked wearily.
"Nothing you must concern yourself with Minister, I believe you have enough to worry about as it is." The impostor looked around at the Office. "Going somewhere Minister?"
Kingsley sighed. "The Halfbreed is dead, he broke his vow and revealed my part in Lovegood's death."
"I see," The Impostor noted. "You are in deep trouble Kingsley."
"I'm finished, I have to flee before I'm thrown into Azkaban." Kingsley announced as he tried to leave the room.
The impostor jabbed her wand into Kingsley's chest. "Ah, Ah, Ah, I don't think so. We still have much to talk about."
The impostor force Kingsley into a chair then sat behind the Ministers desk. "What do they know about me?"
Kingsley spoke calmly. "They believe you are the Earth Mother from the prophecy. They know you are the Head Unspeakable. They know I work with you…"
"...For me." The impostor interrupted.
"…WITH YOU," Kingsley growled. "They do not know who you are but it is only a matter of time."
"They think I'm this 'Devil in Disguise?' How uncivilized." The impostor muttered. "What happened to Potter and the Freak?"
"I tried to arrest them. The school fought back. Students were killed but the girl was able to stop our forces. I was forced to flee. She could have killed me but she let me go." Kingsley reported.
"So it's a disaster. You really are finished Kingsley. What about the Dementors? Did they stop her?"
"At first…" Kingsley muttered.
"What do you mean?" The Impostor whispered coldly.
Kingsley shivered. "She started screaming. A real bad memory. I…I…held the Dementors back and the students cast Patronus charms. Then the fighting..."
"One second, you held the Dementor's back?"
Kingsley nodded, "She was screaming…"
"Like this…Crucio!"
Kingsley screamed as the Impostor cursed him, falling out of his chair from his spasms. The Impostor lifted the curse and sighed. "You know I really hate doing that, but you must be punished. Get up, I don't have all day."
Kingsley slowly rose to his feet and went to sit, only for his chair to vanish. The impostor spoke coolly. "We made a deal, Kingsley. You scratch my back and I scratch yours. It goes the other way too. If it wasn't for me you would still be a junior Auror. If it wasn't for you, I would be in Azkaban. Now you are heading there and I am no closer to getting the freak."
"What can I do," Kingsley asked weakly. "I'm finished."
"I'm sure I can find some use for you." The Impostor muttered as the Secretary awoke from her stupor.
Kingsley aimed his wand at her, "Oblivi…"
"Avada Kedavra!"
The dreaded curse killed the Secretary in a heartbeat. "If you are going to do something Minister, do it properly. Do not hesitate, do not show restraint."
The Impostor got up to leave, pausing at the door. "Well are you coming or not?"
Kingsley was staring at his Secretary's body as he slowly rose to his feet. "Yes...I…What should I do?"
"Wait in my office until I return," The Impostor ordered. "As for myself, I think I shall do what I should have from the beginning."
Kingsley looked at the impostor expectantly. She smiled with mischief as she elaborated. "I'm going to meet with…an old friend."

Many Witches and Wizards showed up to Gringotts only to find the bank closed. Despite the warnings in the Daily Prophet many refused to accept this rare phenomenon. The Goblins cared not for the woes of humans. Today was a sacred day. Today they would lay one of their most hallowed brethren to rest.
Harry and Luna were awoken from their sleep by the voice of Borguk, their personal guard at Gringotts. "Wake up vermin! Ragnok will be leaving for the funeral at the next ringing of the gongs and he will not be waiting for you."
The two human were quickly escorted by the grumpy Goblin, meeting Ragnok at one of the vaults. "Welcome Goblin friend. I hope your stay has been hospitable."
"As good as it can be given the circumstances." Harry replied formally.
"I understand, It has been a time of mourning for our races. Today we are bestowing honor to our fallen knight, so do not mourn his loss, celebrate his victory." Ragnok spoke as he opened the vault. Inside was not treasure or gold, but a strange archway that seemed to lead to nowhere.
Luna shivered, reminded of the archway in the Department of Mysteries. "Where does that lead?"
Ragnok chuckled. "Portals are a creation of Goblins that we do not share with humans. We once built a Portal to bring back our fallen brethren. To defy the laws of life and death can only end in more death. That Portal is used by the Ministry to depose of dangerous artifacts or people. This portal however will take us to my brother's resting place."
Ragnok walked through the archway, followed by Harry and Luna. They could not help but look in awe of the great Goblin Palace. It was made entirely out of gold and could have held five Hogwarts. The gate was made of Rubies and the moat held many amphibious Dragons not known to Wizard-kind.
The Goblin stood tall. "Welcome to Camelot: Home of the Goblin King."
Harry gasped, "Camelot?"
The three walked through the palace in amazement at the wonderful works of art that would make Da-Vinci blush. Soon they stepped foot into a room the size of Diagon alley. It was filled with rows and rows of golden statues.
"This where the greatest of our race are laid to rest. The Catacombs of Camelot!" Ragnok whispered as they stopped in from of a golden casket. "The others shall be arriving soon. I will leave you until the Funeral begins."
Harry and Luna stood in silence as they stood by the coffin. Neither saying a word. Even as the Goblins began arriving in droves. Soon the entire room was crammed with over a million Goblins. Harry could spot a few humans in the crowd and recognized a few Hogwarts professors among them.
Suddenly the room was silent as the last Goblin entered the tombs. He was twice the size of a normal Goblin and hideously deformed. He held a ruby battle ax in one hand and silver staff in the other. He wore an emerald cloak and a crown of solid gold. All the Goblins bowed as Ragnok's voice boomed.
"All Hail Oderus Urungus the 956th
The Great Goblin King"
"Rise my subjects." Oderus commanded in a guttural voice. "As King, I bless Ragnok with the honor of beginning this ceremony."
Ragnok nodded as he stood on top of the golden coffin. "A thousand years ago, we built this castle so Humans and Goblins could rule as one. Representing the Wizards was Merlin. Representing the Muggles was a King named Arthur. Representing the Goblins was the Goblin king Lancelot. Together our races lived in harmony. Then the unthinkable happened. The Muggle Queen fell in love with Lancelot.
Soon the earth was consumed with war. Relations between our races never recovered. Yet here we are today, Goblins and Wizards, united in one common goal. Sadly it is a somber one, laying to rest an amazing being.
"Sir Filius Flitwick was begotten by Human and Goblin. Like Guinevere and Lancelot, their love was forbidden. It was a time when Goblins and Wizards fought for control of England. Filius was a bastard in the eyes of Goblin and Men. Even I was raised to believe my half-brother was inferior. Only after I had grown older and wiser, did I learn otherwise."
Filius was an outcast but he refused to be beaten. He spent over two hundred years looking to find his place in the world. He found happiness, he found love three times in his life. He found despair as his wives and children perished with the passing of time. I remember seeing him after the last child of his third wife passed. He told me he had enough love and heartbreak for one lifetime. Something changed in him after that. Only when we lose everything do we live without fear.
Filius decided to dedicate his life to himself, even if it killed him. He entered his first dueling competition despite never holding a wand before. Goblins of course being band from owning wands after the failed revolution of King Karak. Filius lost obviously, but he kept coming back for more. He kept losing and the Wizards loved to watch it. One day I asked him why he would do this to himself. Filius winked and showed me books he had collected over the years. He told me it is the only chance to practice the spells he read. Only Filius would enter dueling contests to learn magic.
He learned well, because the bastard started winning. Filius was no longer interested in being accepted. He wanted to be exceptional. To the dismay of many Wizards and to the joy of us Goblins…he succeeded. He became legend when he won the title of champion and was finally given a wand. He used this wand to fight for the Goblins against more than one Dark Lord. He stood up for the rights of Goblins and in his retirement became Head Unspeakable for the Ministry of Magic.
He truly found happiness in teaching. The hardened warrior was wonderful around children. He wasn't afraid to make them laugh at his height. He loved those children and I believed they filled a void in his heart that dueling never could. He became quite attached to one girl who he took on as his protégé. Once again he found himself grieving as the protégé died.
Filius was a brilliant man, but he never saw himself as one. He was proud of his accomplishments, downright vein with his talents, and truly believed he was the greatest duelist of all time. Yet he always felt he had failed as a man. He was never able to save the ones he loved from death. Never accepting, until the end, the truth all Goblins know. Death is inevitable and irreversible, but our lives are in our own hands.
On November the 6th 1998, Sir Filius Flitwick died as he lived, fighting. He died to protect the ones he loved. He died to make the world a better place. Most importantly he died conquering death. He is an Inspiration to the Goblin Nation. The world will never be the same because of him. He was a True Goblin, and I'm sorry it took me so long to learn that."
Ragnok hopped off the coffin and sat down among the crowd. The thundering voice of the Goblin king again echoed through the tomb. "Any who wish to speak, do so now."
To Harry's surprise, Luna rose from her seat and walked to the coffin. She did not face the crowd as she whispered. "After the death of my Mother, it was you who cared for me. It was you who protected me. You once told me you loved me like I was your own child. I don't think I ever truly realized how much you meant to me until you were gone. I'm scared. I don't know if I can do this without out you, but I swear I will try. I once said you were like a second father to me, but I was wrong. You were a second father to me. I love you dad, I wish I said that while you were still alive. Thank you for being my hero. I will never forget you. I miss you…"
Luna silently returned to her seat as The Goblin King commanded. "Unleash the Dragon Fire."
Out of nowhere, a Dragon appeared flying over the catacombs. While many humans panicked, the Goblins calmly rose their feet and began to chant. The dragon unleashed a wave of fire at the golden coffin, which melted into a puddle of gold.
The Goblin King then screamed. "In the Sacred Catacombs of Camelot, rise once more."
The liquid gold slowly began to rise and take shape. In place of a coffin, stood a statue of Filius Flitwick.
The Goblins all chanted. "Now he is truly golden, now he is truly immortal."
The Goblin king spoke solemnly "May your legend live on for all time, May your gold always shine."
Sign up to rate and review this story