Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Curious Case of Luna Lovegood

Squibs, Muggles, Rebels and Other Worthless Things

by Marvolo666 0 reviews

Her musings were cut short by the sound of high wheezy voices. "About time you woke up. You've been asleep for three sun rises. They said you'd sleep longer but I say No, No, No!"

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Harry,Hermione,Luna,Ron,Vernon Dursley - Warnings: [!!] [V] - Published: 2017-02-26 - 5922 words - Complete

0Unrated
Xenophilius leaned over the table as the tape recorder was turned on. Normally he would be fascinated in discovering how the machine worked, but he was too focused on the contents of this recording. The quality was low and full of feedback but in the Wizarding world, sound quality was a small price to pay for secrecy.

(Click)
.
.
.
(Feedback)
.
.
.
"Luna Lovegood, can you hear me?"
.
.
"..."
.
.
"Repeat, Luna Lovegood, can you hear me?"
.
.
.
"...Yes...we can hear you."
.
"Can you see me?"
.
.
"...Yes...we can see you."
.
.
.
"Please describe to me what you think I look like."
.
.
"...You look like a human. You are 12 inches taller than our father and have green hair. You are a fixer, can you fix us?"
.
.
"That's what we are trying to do Miss Lovegood. Why do you refer to yourself as we?"
.
.
.
"...We are We."
.
.
.
"Are you Luna Lovegood?"
.
.
.
"..."
.
.
"Who are you if you are not Luna?"
.
.
.
"We are Luna, just as we were Pandora."
.
.
.
"You ...You understand, that your Mother is dead.
.
.
.
"...Yes we know. We would not be as is if she lived. The Moon Mother gave her power, but we cannot yet use it.
Sanity holds her back yet insanity leaves her damaged, as was Pandora. We failed her before but not this time Mr. Locker."
.
.
.
"..."
.
.
"Before you go, tell her father...Pandora is sorry for what had to be done, and for what will happen.
You cannot help her...only we can...no one must know of what we were and are.
She was a late bloomer, nothing more...
.
.
I love you...dad"
.
.
.
(Faint laughter)
.
.
.
(Click)

Xenophilius breathed out wobbly as he looked at the Healer beside him. "She...or they are right. No one can ever know she was a squib. If they did, she would be in grave danger."
Xenophilius let out a horse whisper. "Merlin...it's just like Pandora. I thought she had gone mad but...this can't be a coincidence, can it?"
The healer let out a humorless chuckle. "Have you ever heard of a Squib gaining magic? Whatever Pandora, may she rest in peace, was doing involved magic beyond our understanding."
Xenophilius then asked the question he dreaded. "Can she be cured?"
"Define cured." The healer answered calmly. "Physically she's fine, a little weak from being stuck in a room for over a year but that's natural. Mentally she is in bad shape but without interference she improves every day. You told me that Pandora referred to these voices as Nargles. It seems that real or not they are helping Luna cope from what must have been a traumatic and devastating experience for her. I believe that she shall be able to function quite well in the Wizarding world, now that she is a Witch she should be able to go to Hogwarts. There is other concerns, her emotions seem to be damaged, only time will tell what other affects this magic will have on her psyche. However I must be honest Xenophilius. It is unlikely Luna will ever be the same again."
Xenophilius felt his heart breaking as he cursed the women he loved and grieved over. Why did she do this to her child. How could she do this to him. "Will she at least be happy."
"I'm not sure, happiness can be difficult to attain in the simplest of circumstances. Hopefully we can help her pursue it. It won't be easy Mr. Lovegood."

(Click)
.
.
"..."
.
.

Xenophilius stared from the cassette to the Healer. "Did you turn it on?"
The healer seemed insulted. '"Of course not, there is nothing else on the t.."

"Hello"
.
.
"We must now depart but we shall see her again."
.
.
"..."
.
.
"...Mum?..."
.
.
.
"MUM!"

Xenophilius and the healer suddenly felt their ears start to ring as a heart wrenching shriek escaped the player's tiny speaker before it erupted in flames. The two Wizards bolted from the office and ran to the young Witch's room. The healer burst into the room followed by three other Healers as another two held back Xenophilius who was answering his daughters cries. Xenophilius gritted his teeth and broke through, free from the Healers. He entered the room to see Luna's now silenced shrieks as she seemed to have a seizure.
"What's happening to my baby girl!?" Xenophilius yelled at the Healers.
"She's going into shock. She's having a panic attack, a reaction to witnessing Pandora's death only delayed by 14 months."
"What are you doing then." Xenophilius asked, his anger growing.
"Sedating her..."
"Like Hell you are, she's been sedated long enough. I want my daughter back." Xenophilius shouted as he UN-silenced Luna and took her into his arms. Xenophilius cried as he held her to him. "Its ok angel, daddy's here, daddy's not leaving you."
Luna seemed to relax against him before she hugged her father for the first time in years. She never cried, she just hugged him like he was her anchor to the world. In many ways he was.
"I'm taking my daughter home." Xenophilius said suddenly. "If you wish to see her then just send an owl, but my daughter will not say here for another moment."
"Now come on Luna. It's time to..."

"...Wake up!"
Luna's eyes opened as she took in the images around her. She was in an empty room that reminded her of Saint Mungo's, yet there was something terribly wrong with this place. There were pictures of skeletons on the walls and the objects scattered around the room looked as if they were designed to cut through bone. Luna slowly remembered where she was but failed to comprehend how these gruesome objects that were used to cut people open could possibly help anyone. Luna had to admit how some Wizards thought Muggles could be mad, this seemed crazy even for her.
Her musings were cut short by the sound of high wheezy voices. "About time you woke up. You've been asleep for three sun rises. They said you'd sleep longer but I say No, No, No!"
Luna sat up and her eyes focused on the strangest man she had ever seen. He was as thin as a twig and had a strange green tone to his skin. His head was small and misshapen yet his nose and ears were large. He froze as his equally large yellow eyes met Luna's and whispered with a voice one would expect from a house elf. "So it's true, it's really you."
Luna smiled as she titled her head at the creature, at least she assumed he was a creature. "Hello, who are you?"
The strange man spoke quietly has his head seemed to tremble. "I was called Evander once...It is really you, I mean you know, you are you...aren't you?
"If the you your looking for is Luna Lovegood then I am that you. Are you still called Evander." Luna asked with genuine interest.
The man looked confused. "I wouldn't know though, my parents called me something once but they forgot what it was."
The man shook Luna's hand, jerking it in odd movements before he choked out. "I am like you were, before you are now. Others say I am a squib. Will never be a wizard, not before you came to us. Now we have hope, but it is not magic that I want. I want to, it too..."
The strange man who was once called Evander seemed unable to think of what he meant to say. So he took his long skinny fingers and pointed at his head with all seven of them. Luna looked at him for a moment before she asked. "What's wrong with your head."
"Just head not." Evander squealed calmly. "I green, eyes ouch. Confused often, don't speak right. Don't know how, don't know why...just want to be...I don't remember what."
"Evander..." Luna and Evander jumped at the voice and saw Harry and Hermione had entered the room. It was the latter who had spoken. "I'm happy you got to meet Luna but you better head on back to the others. We don't want you to forget your potions."
When Evander did not respond and Harry elaborated. "The ugly drinks."
Evander grimaced. "I don't want to drink the ugly drinks. Hurts my tongue, hurts my head, hurts my ticker."
Hermione suddenly became stern and spoke as if she was disciplining a toddler and not a grown man. "You will drink your potion or do you want to blow up another room."
Evander seemed to turn a shade of yellow, and Luna was certain the poor man was blushing. "I didn't mean to. It was accident..."
"I know it was, that is why you have to drink your potions. So you don't have another accident remember." Hermione said sympathetically.
Evander nodded. "I've been called Evander twice now, but I am not Evander. I am..."
Hermione looked sadly as the man stopped speaking and walked out of the room. Luna looked at Harry and Hermione bewildered. "Who is that poor man and what is wrong with him."
Hermione sighed. "You aren't the only person to try and give people magic. Purebloods from Dark families have been trying to cure Squibs for years. It always ends the same though. That man was forced to drink potions that would make your skin crawl. They would then put you through a blood ritual that has been illegal for the last thousand years. He is one of the lucky ones."
"Lucky?" Luna whispered as she remembered how rattled the man seemed to be.
"Very, he was the first to ever survive the ritual." Hermione said sadly. "It involves switching your blood with the blood of a magical creature. That's why he takes potions. He has some magic but no control over it. It just explodes out of him and causes destruction. The Potions drain your magical core. Since he doesn't have one it simply drains the magic from his body."
Harry spoke slowly. "There are others. From what Hermione has told me the LLR is mainly about protecting Muggles and Squibs from the Totalitar. Most of the ones here are in good condition but there is a few like...well, George called him Evander."
"How many are here." Luna asked as she rose to her feet.
Twenty eight Squibs and thirty five Muggles." Hermione stated.
Luna looked at Harry who nodded as if they were having a conversation with their eyes. Hermione pondered once more, where the two Magicals had gone to after the Hogwarts riot.
"I would like to see them Hermione." Luna said suddenly. "I have to see them"
Hermione had been expecting this but there was something else in Luna's expression that cause her to pause. Luna continued. "I would've been like them, if I was born into a different family. I need to see them and give them hope. The way...I was given hope."
Hermione nodded with a smile. "I think that's a great idea Luna but we have to see the LLR first."
Luna looked to Harry questioningly who answered. "Hermione says the leader of the LLR would like introduce the Rebels to their namesake."
Luna looked even more confused, it was not a feeling she liked. "Namesake?" Leader? Who is in charge the LLR?''
Hermione smiled, her eyes gleaming. "Why I am of course."

"What kept you?" Ron yelled as soon as the others were in sight.
"Evander," was Hermione's replied as she looked down the hallway. Harry had fallen behind somewhat as he stayed by Luna's side, while Luna simply looked around in wonder.
Luna kept stopping to look into the other rooms of the Hospital, while taking in the whiteness of the halls only Muggle lights could give. They were exceptionally bright even for Harry, who was certain that the LLR was powering them with magic. Luna's eyes met Harry's and she could not help but smile like the child she once was, not so long ago.
"It's amazing," Luna whispered. "The idea of surgery seems barbaric yet it actually works. And the way machines function and move as if they were alive. The light, brighter than a thousand candles, only the most powerful spells could match it. It's just like magic but it's not.."
"It's just an abandoned Hospital." Harry grinned at Luna's awe of the mundane.
Luna shook her head. "I've read a lot on Muggles but I've never actually been to a Muggle residence, or seen firsthand what they have done, and can do. It's incredible."
"Hurry up the LLR is waiting" Ron yelled down the hall impatiently.
Harry and Luna walked at a slightly faster pace, as Ron and Hermione were approaching a Large Metal door that did not match the rest of the Hospital. Luna looked above the metal doors and at the rusted sign which hanged from the roof. It had once read cafeteria, but now had the letters 'LLR' written over it. Luna spoke without taking her eyes off the dented sign. "How many people are in there?"
"About thirty five members, along with all thirty Muggles and fifteen of the Squibs. The other Squibs are more like Evander and are unable to attend. You can see them later".
"That's good," Harry responded with a smile. "How many members are in the LLR?"
"About Thirty five..." Hermione mumbled looking down, refusing to meet Harry's eyes.
Harry gaped at her, and then cursed. "Shit, we're rebelling against the entire bloody Ministry of Magic and we have a mere thirty five..."
"Actually its Twenty Three," replied a stern looking Wizard as he opened the Metal door and slipped into the hall. When they looked at him questionably he spoke sadly. "Warren was arrested by the Totalitar and we lost Eric at the Golden Swamp."
"Actually we found him." Ron piped in.
The young Wizard looked shocked. "You did, where?"
"Somewhere."
"Make sense he would be there." Luna hummed with approval.
The sound of something collapsing had the four of them rushing in. The cafeteria was very large for an abandoned Muggle Hospital, Harry was again certain that magic was involved. The very same magic was wreaking havoc to the room as two wizards dueled on one of the tables, as others made bets on the outcome.
"I meant to warn you," The stern wizard said to with a sigh. "I'm afraid your conversation had me side tracked."
"It's ok Frickter, I'll handle this." Hermione said as she raised her wand and vanished the table the dueling Wizard's stood upon. They collapsed to the floor landing on their bottoms, resulting in much laughter from the Wizards around them. Then they noticed Hermione and fell silent.
Harry recognized some of the members as his former students from DA, just about all the Muggleborns. Seeing them brought a grin to Harry's face as he felt a familiar feeling stir with in him. He shattered the silence as he yelled. "SOLDERS, STAND STRAIGHT!"
His former students immediately stood in formation and the other members simply did the same, confused but more than willing to avoid further embarrassment. They failed at this however when one of the younger members revealed in a rather messy fashion, that he had been drinking.
Harry looked dismissive at the young wizards. "This is the LLR? Not much of an army is it."
Hermione sighed. "We aren't an army, we are not even solders. Our goal is to protect the Muggles and Squibs the Totalitar target. We also sabotage the Totaliltar at times and a couple of us try to find out what is going on in the Ministry. But truth be told, as it is, there is very little we can do."
Harry looked at Hermione warily, "Then how do you expect to stop the Totalitar."
"Isn't it obvious." Luna said calmly as her eyes met Harry, and knew they had both reached the same conclusion.
"We assumed you might be able to help." One of the LLR members spoke, Harry recognized him to be Seamus. "I mean, in a way, it is your group. Yours as well Luna, the LLR stands for the Luna Lovegood Rebellion."
"It is? Luna muttered her face somewhat pale.
"This isn't DA." Harry stated sharply. "This isn't learning to fight, this isn't protecting your school, your home. This is war! You may call it otherwise but when you fight the Ministry of Magic that is what it is. When you fight a War, people die. You might not be willing to say you are at war but that will only make it easier for them to get you. How many of you were there when you formed the LLR."
The silent sad looks said enough to Harry as no one had uttered a word of reply. "How many were captured and how many have died?"
Harry could see the answers in their eyes. "Harry noticed that only half the Muggleborns from his class were here. Harry shook his head. He took the feelings that had stirred within him and crushed them in his heart.
"I am not your leader, I can't have been, I've been gone these past few months. To me it was longer, and that isn't an expression. I can't lead you, even if I wanted to. Hell I don't want to but I feel like I have to...I just can't." Harry's voice strained as he looked away. Harry's eyes seemed to struggle as his forehead wrinkled in frustration.
Harry softly spoke the words that repeated in his mind like a mantra. "This isn't my war, I have my own adventure to go on. I have to help Luna with her work. If we succeed, Things will be very different. If you want my help then help me help her. People have always looked at me said I was destined for great things, but I never see what they see. When I look at Luna, I know she is more then I'll ever be. She is our hope now."
Luna looked at Harry with many emotions in her eyes. She couldn't believe Harry felt that way about her. She then realized something that shook her to the core. "He looks up to me."
This was not what she said however, it was another thought in her mind that was voiced. "It's everyone's problem Harry. Hate and evil will always be everyone's problem. Maybe they can help us Harry. Maybe they can find the information we need. Besides, it's my thought they are in power. I feel like the Hogwarts riot has accelerated things. I can't just do nothing while people get hurt."
Hermione spoke up. "Well maybe this is a discussion for another time. Ronald, what do you have to report."
"Nothing."
Hermione glared at Ron who quickly explained. "The Totaliltar have been upping security, no one here has gotten any information."
Hermione sighed, looking far older then she should have. Hermione had always been mature for her age but in that moment she looked closer to forty than nineteen. Harry felt she was far too young to have been through all she had, only to realize that he was a year younger than her himself.
"It's a sad tale when our battles are fought by children." Luna whispered.
Hermione nodded. "Too true but we're not children, not anymore."
"We might as well be." Luna said softly. "It does make sense that we are the ones fighting, it is our future."
"There is some interesting news actually." The stern looking member they called Frickter, said as he looked at an old damaged book in his hands. Whatever was written in its crumbled pages must have been important as he looked up gravely. "Word from Lord Ned Greengrass. The Minister has just summoned the Wizengamot, she has also invited the press and all the noble families."
Ron looked darkly. "Sounds like a trap to me."
Hermione shook her head. "I don't think so, but this can't be good."
Hermione looked at the LLR disapprovingly. "Well this meeting could not have gone worse. You're dismissed."
The LLR quickly left as Harry sighed. "A bunch of scared young men mostly under the age of twenty, half of them drunk. So much for the Luna Lovegood Revolution."
"Rebellion." Hermione quickly corrected on instinct before speaking quickly. "Ron take them to their rooms and make sure they are protected. I'm going under cover."
Ron and Hermione shared a glance before Ron nodded. "Be careful Hermione..."
"I will." Hermione whispered before she turned to leave
"We are coming with you!" Luna stated calmly as she began to follow Hermione, dragging Harry with her..
"You are?" Hermione asked startled.
"We are?" Harry asked in surprise at the same time. "How? I know Hermione's got polyjuice potion, but we can't expect to stun and impersonate three reporters without being noticed."
"Polyjuice won't be necessary. My magic, though weakened, will allow me to disguise myself Harry, and you do have that cloak of yours." Luna hummed looking at Hermione.
"I don't think this is a good idea." She replied nervously.
"Well if they're going then I'm going too," Ron announced purposely.
"NO!" Hermione yelled at Ron, before adding softly. "If things go...bad...you need to keep things running."
Ron looked at Hermione and shook his head. "You can't keep taking all the risks Hermione, hell that's supposed to me my job."
"Like Hell it's is!" Hermione grumbled before kissing Ron. Harry awkwardly averted his eyes while Luna looked off for some reason or another.
"Stay out of trouble, please." Ron said, though his eyes pleaded with her.
Hermione nodded as she swallowed her emotions down and looked at the other two. "Fine you two can come, but listen. No matter what happens, no matter what or who you see...Don't reveal yourselves!"

"I really hate doing this." Hermione muttered as she looked at the reporter she had stunned. Plucking a hair from his head and dropped it into the vial of polyjuice potion she had been keeping in her robes. She turned to the other two people in the room, one was a brunette with tanned skin and small brown eyes, the other was holding his invisibility cloak. "The good news is that I can take the memories of my 'reporting', and implant them into Mr...Nostrick, without him being any wiser."
"The bad news is that it's more disturbing than that rumor about Aberoth." Harry muttered as he looked at the poor man. Nostrick had been preparing to head to the summoning room to do his job when he had heard a knock on the door. One Stupefy later and he was lying unconscious on the floor.
"Can you two give me a minute to transform and...Change." Hermione blushed as she ran into the washroom in Mr. Nostrick's room, with Mr. Nostrick's unconscious, floating body.
Luna stat down on the bed with a vacant expression on her face. At first Harry thought it was simply a result of her transformed face but he quickly realized it was something else.
"Luna...what's wrong?" Harry asked as he sat beside her.
Luna was silent for bit before she whispered. "Are we doing the right thing?"
"I know we are Luna." Harry insisted. "What's going on isn't your fault. It's the same Anti Muggle bigotry that's been haunting the Wizarding world for centuries."
"They call themselves the Luna Lovegood Rebellion. They are fighting for me, they aren't fighters. While I try to discover the secrets of magic the world around me is falling apart. Everyone expects great things from me, but it's not me it's...it's..."
Luna lost her voice and Harry whispered. "It's your mother isn't it."
Luna seemed to flinch at Harry's words as she whispered, so quietly he could barely hear her words. "You saw what I saw Harry, in the visions, what she was doing. How she cursed herself, her memory. She really was mad, by her own doing."
Harry closed his eyes he as he brushed his hand through Luna's hair. Luna had been rather off the first couple nights since they returned to England. Yet even after she started acting her usual abnormal self, Luna never spoke of her mother, something that made Harry very concerned. "Luna..."
"NO, don't you Luna me...she obliviated herself repeatedly. Who knows how long she destroyed her brilliant mind, and for what? HER WORK?" Luna yelled.
Luna paused and took a deep breath. "For 8 years, I have been defending my mother when they said she was mad."
"Many would consider you to be mad." Harry whispered softly as he held her. "I don't care either way, you are brilliant Luna, and so was your mother. I don't know why she did the things she did, but I know she did it for you."
Luna took in a deep breath. "I know, but there is something else. I've been thinking of what Mr. Flamel had said to me. I'm missing something important, I just know it..."
At that moment, Mr. Nostrick strolled out of the washroom and spoke to Harry and Luna. "Alright, the meeting should be starting soon so we better get a moving. Oh and Harry, I know this will be tricky but while under the invisibility cloak, try not to walk into anyone."

It was impossible not to walk into anyone, as the Ministry was crowded with Wizards and Witches packed into the auditorium of the Ministry of Magic. Luckily the crowds of people made it impossible for anyone to notice when they just bumped into someone who could not be seen. Hermione and Luna in their disguises made sure to keep Harry between them. Hermione spoke to the reporter beside her in hushed whispers. It seemed that Mr. Nostrick was rather unpopular, as the conversation ended abruptly, though Hermione had her answers.
"It seems the Minister has decided the hold the meeting in here for the public to behold." Hermione whispered. "I have a really bad feeling about this."
Luna was about speak when she spotted him in the crowd. He was a strange man she had not seen in several, months and had hardly spoken to for over a year and a half. "Father..."
Luna had begun to move when Harry pulled her back. "Remember what Hermione said, we can't stand out. You go to him, they will take you both away. "
Luna's eyes held a look of longing as she nodded, her eyes never leaving her father. Xenophilius seemed nervous and his baggy eye's looked as if he had not slept in weeks. The sight was breaking Luna's heart as she willed herself not to do anything reckless. Then she saw something appear in the corner of eye.
"What is that?" Luna asked as she pointed to the small stage in the middle of the auditorium.
Harry replied. "I assume the Minister will need a stage to address..."
"No!" Hermione yelped grabbing everyone's attention. "What is that?"
At first glance it looked like a dementor. It was dressed in black and its face was covered by an equally black hood. However it was the scythe in its hands that caught everyone's attention. What was most unusual was that it clearly was not there when they first entered the room. It stood beside the stage, unmoving as the crowd backed away from it, leaving a circle of space around the stage. Then the figure who looked like death moved, floating across the room as people parted before it. It reached an unseen door in the wall which opened. Then it turned and began floating back to the stage, but now it was not alone. Behind it was over a dozen masked figures, dressed in uniforms of white, shoulders sparkling emerald green, and a stripe cutting up the middle of the robe, glistening in Scarlet red. The stripe was the only thing on their blank, white and shapeless masks that concealed their faces."
"The Totalitar." Hermione gasped in shock.
There were two other people with them. One of them wore a bag over his head and had his hands tied behind his back. His back was bent submissively and his clothes where ripped and torn. His skin was loose, saggy, like an obese man who had lost an unhealthy amount of weight from starvation. On the dark figure's other side, was a woman too beautiful to be real. Hermione's description had not given her justice. In fact, there was only two things that could be faulted with her appearance. Her slightly long crooked nose, and the coldness in her eyes. She wore a smile so large, it made her ruby lips look like an ax wound. Luna shivered as her eyes briefly met the Minister of Magic, Jane Grimhilde.
The Minister and her entourage reached the stage. The dozen Totalitar formed a circle, surrounding the platform while the three remaining figures stood upon it. Then she spoke as the crowd fell silent. Her voice was sweet enough to kill a man, yet devoid of any warmth.
"Ladies and Gentleman, Many of you are wondering why I have summoned you here. Is it because of a new law that must be instated. It is to deal with the threat of the terrorist group of blood traitors, the LLR. It is about the unfounded rumor that Harry Potter as returned to us, along with the squib." Jane paused, her eyes glided over the crowd.
"We are here because of the growing Muggle threat." The Minister's statement ignited murmurs and gasps. The Deathly figure raised his scythe, and the crowd fell silent.
"Thank you dear." Jane giggled. "I love all people, Muggle or Wizard, Pureblood or Mud...Muggle Born. Even half-breeds should not be blamed for their ancestors' perversions."
"However, our way of life is being threatened. Our existence is going to be exposed to the Muggles and there is nothing we can do to stop it. Their technology does not need to overcome our secrecy wards for long, just for a fraction of a second and we will be exposed. The Muggle's will catch us with our pants down. We must be prepared to stop them, even fight back if we have to. If we are to have a chance we must be ready to strike first and last. They will show us no mercy, only cleanse our sorcery with fire as in the days of old."
"I have brought you here to show you the new way of the Totalitar. As of this moment we are in a state of war until such a time that the Muggle threat can be effectively neutralized. I am dissembling the Wizengamot until we are at peace once more!" The Minister cried out.
The auditorium erupted in protest, Luna looked at Hermione in horror and said. "Can she really do that?"
"No," Hermione replied coldly. "But that hasn't stopped her before."
"The Wizengamot cannot be trusted." Minister Grimhilde shouted as some of the Wizards had started casting curses at her. The reaper moved and...Silence.
"As I was saying, The Wizengamot cannot be trusted." The Minister scolded. "Blood traitor is an ugly term but the latter part is true, they are traitors. They betray their own kind as they accuse us of bigotry, and then side with the Muggles. It is the Muggles that burned our ancestors to ashes. They side with the people who killed your own kind, your kin. We should cozy up to them."
Jane seemed to stand a little taller as she spoke with passion. "I stand by my decision and will now like to get to the final reason why we are here. We will be putting a stop to Muggles who harm our children once and for all. We shall start with the beast that dared harm our savior!"
Harry's heart tried to rip out of his chest as the Minister removed the bag off the prisoner's head. Harry recognized that man. He looked very different from the last time Harry had laid eyes on this man. He was pale, with a tinge of green and his eyes seemed to lack all life in them. He was shaved bald and his mustache was also gone. His face was swollen and blood was pouring from his ears.
"Harry?" Luna whispered, squeezing Harry's hand through the cloak. "Is that..."
"My Uncle Vernon?" Harry replied his voice hoarse. "He was...but."
"What did they do to him?" Hermione gasped. "It looks like...I don't know what it looks like."
The Minister screamed to the crowd. "In the name of Order, in the name of Justice, In the Name of the Witches and Wizard's of England. I sentence this creature to die. May magic have mercy on your soul, though your kind has none."
The Minister motioned to the Reaper who raised its scythe. He swung it down and panic filled the auditorium. Hermione felt Harry stumbled beside her and she helped him up.
Though he was invisible, Harry's face was deathly pale as he muttered. "I'm going to be sick."
"Me too." Hermione replied has she struggled to drag Harry to the nearest exist.
Harry may have been in shock but he could tell something was wrong. "Hermione wait, where's Luna?"
Luna had not moved an inch since the Minister had started her speech. As soon as the Scythe came down everyone seemed to run for the nearest exit yet Luna remained staring. During the chaos was when it happened. Luna's stare was met by those cold eyes. They stared for what felt like an eternity before the Minister did something that sent a chill up Luna's spine. Jane Grimhilde smiled, moved her lips and with a wink disappeared.
Luna felt someone grab her hand and pull her but she paid this no notice. Her mind repeating the sight more terrifying than the blood on the Ministry floor. More terrible than the look of horror on her father's face as he fled the scene. She suddenly felt herself be squeezed, and compressed into a tube and pop back into existence in the middle of a random forest.
Harry shook, his face deathly pale, as he wrapped his arms around Luna muttering "I hated...but I...I...I never wanted...They just...they..."
Luna finally snapped back into reality as she panicked. "She saw me, she saw me Harry!"
Hermione spoke harshly. "Luna, now is not the time to panic. She could not have known it was you, you were in disguise, still are actually. Besides even if she did recognize you, we all got out of there in one piece."
Luna looked at her, then Harry, who seemed to be in shock. Luna returned to her natural form, and Harry's eyes focused on her and seemed to remember sanity, even if his body was still shaking. Luna hugged him and as he broke down. "I'm sorry Harry, I have no idea what you must be going through."
"I'm...I'm fine," Harry lied as he breathed harshly. "It's just...that horrid...woman."
"She saw me Harry, she really did." Luna whispered. "She looked me in the eyes and winked at me."
Harry felt her shiver but it might have been himself. "Your disguise must not have worked then..."
"It worked, but she knew anyway. She could have stopped me but she didn't, but she said something to me. I couldn't hear the words but I could read her red lips," Luna uttered. "She said..."
"I will see you soon child."
Sign up to rate and review this story