Categories > Anime/Manga > Yami no Matsuei > Empress Lovers

Farewell, Friend

by Noizchild 0 reviews

Hitomi pays one last visit to Haruka to say goodbye.

Category: Yami no Matsuei - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Drama - Published: 2017-02-27 - 475 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter Thirty-Six: Farewell, Friend:

-March 14th, 2011-

Hitomi had one more tie to cut. Kato told her it would be okay.

"Do what you must to get away from her," he said. Hitomi bowed.

"Thank you, Kato-san," she said.

"Don't linger on with it," he warned her. "Get out quick."

"Okay."

"Be careful."

"Thank you."

Tonight, Hitomi drew in a deep breath. After this, her part was over. Make this short and get out. The kitsune knocked on the door. She went over what she wanted to say in her head as she waited.

"Coming," Haruka said in the house. Hitomi stood as the door opened. The old lady looked her up and down.

"Hitomi-chan?" she asked. "What are doing here so late?" Hitomi clenched her fists at her side.

"We need to talk," she said.

"Okay…" Haruka said. She led her old friend inside.

The living room was dark. Hitomi sat on the couch. Haruka sharply eyed her.

"What's on your mind?" she asked. Hitomi sat up straight.

"I've come to say goodbye," she said.

"Oh?" the old lady asked. The kitsune didn't make eye contact.

"We can't keep doing this. I can't live with it anymore. I'm just tired."

Haruka sat quiet. The blank expression her face made it sting. Why wouldn't she speak? Hitomi shifted in her seat.

"How long has this gone on? Too people have died because of us. It has to stop. That's why I'm leaving. I am done."

Haruka leaned forward. "Is that right?"

"Yes," the kitsune said. Both women sat quiet. They had an odd sort of friendship. They weren't come, but Hitomi couldn't let go so easily. Haruka always took the lead. The kitsune never questioned her actions. But, they must have known the ending was coming.

"Where will you go?" the old lady asked.

"Nowhere," Hitomi said. "I left my school and moved out of my apartment. I'm done. It's time to end this."

"So you say," Haruka said. "Go then." Hitomi stared wide-eyed.

"What?" she asked. The old lady rubbed her forehead.

"They're all leaving anyway," she said. "The children are dying. Our kitsune won't eat. You're right, it's over for us."

"Haruka-sama…"

"No, no. Get out now. This is my war. I will end this."

"But what will you do after it's over?"

"I don't know."

Did they know death was coming? Hard to say. They didn't voice it. They wouldn't see each other again. Haruka wasn't taking the lead either. In fact, Hitomi couldn't feel anything. Hitomi rose to her feet.

"Well then," she said. "I wish you well."

"Thank you."

"Good night. I will see myself out."

"Goodbye."

"Farewell." The kitsune bowed and walked out of the living room.

That tie had been cut, but there was one more thing that she needed to do before the end came for her.
Sign up to rate and review this story