Categories > Anime/Manga > Ranma 1/2 > Blessed Curse

Chapter 9

by USA_Tiger 0 reviews

n/a

Category: Ranma 1/2 - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy,Humor - Characters: Akane,Kodachi,Kuno,Mousse,Ryouga - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2017-11-24 - 4095 words

0Unrated
Blessed Curse

Author: USA Tiger

Disclaimer: Ranma 1/2 belongs to Rumiko Takahashi

Author note: Thanks to Blissfull Wulf for betaing this fic.

So… ummm… not quite a year but very, very long months since I updated this… I really have been working on and off this chapter. Anyway, I’m gonna try shorter chapters to see if I’ll post faster and I haven’t abandoned this fic so don’t worry about that! I have a twitter now, you can follow me @usa_tiger1983 I post updates on what I’m doing fic wise, what fics are close to updates and the updates themselves there.

Chapter 9

As Ranma and Akane came in sight of the school, Ranma gloated to herself how she had outsmarted the Old Lady of the Ladle. Ranma was convinced that the sweet old woman who watered the sidewalk every morning was trying to hit her on purpose while Akane thought it was simply a coincidence. Still now and then it did seem like Ranma and the older lady treated it like a game.

‘Ah… it’s nice to be able to come to school again without having to fight a bunch of perverted boys,’ Akane thought to herself as they passed the school gate. She still hated most men and boys, right now the number of males she could handle only consisted of 5 people: her father, Dr. Tofu, Ranma in her male form, Ryoga and Mousse. The last two because neither of them had any interest at all in her beyond being friends, it was nice. Still, there was one boy who still got under her skin and wanted to fight her every day, and… he was surprisingly enough not standing in front of the school like he usually was.

“Huh… where’s Kuno?” Ranma asked. Akane shrugged her shoulders.

“Maybe he gave up finally?” Both pretended to consider that then said ‘Nah’ at the same time. “I bet he’s waiting for a dramatic entrance like always.”

“Akane! Ranma!” They turned to the sound of Sayuri’s voice calling them, seeing her and Yuka walking toward them. “Good morning!”

“Good morning,” Akane greeted back with a smile at her friends.

“Yo,” Ranma said with a small wave.

“Akane, I heard you’re going to represent us in the Rhythmic Gymnastics match,” Sayuri said.

“Don’t let us down, we’re rooting for you!” Yuka added. Akane laughed and placed her hand against her chest.

“Don’t worry, leave it to me,” she said.

“Yeah, we got her somebody who knows that stuff really well to train her,” Ranma agreed. She didn’t know what difference it was going to make, Akane still wasn’t that graceful, but her friend was determined to try.

“We also heard all about your ‘cousin’ Ranma,” Yuka teased, her eyes lit up in laughter. “Heard she was pretty evenly matched with that girl from St. Hebereke from the other girls on the team.”

“Yeah, maybe Ranka should be Akane’s second,” Sayuri suggested. Ranma laughed a bit nervously.

“I don’t know about that, this is Akane-chan’s thing. I think she’s got it handled,” she said as they started walking toward the school. Akane giggled as her friends teased Ranma then froze as a jolt zapped through her.

‘What? Danger!’

“Tendo Akane, prepare yourself!” Kodachi yelled as she leapt from above, one of her brother’s bokkens raised above her head. Akane turned in time and caught the end as Kodachi attempted to strike her with it with a small grunt of effort.

Ranma, Sayuri and Yuka, whom had walked on when Akane stopped, turned to face the commotion.

‘It’s that loony girl!’ Ranma thought.

“You again!” Akane yelled angrily. “Ambushing me first thing in the morning!”

“’Ambushing’?!” Kodachi said with a scoff and upturned her nose at Akane. “I was doing no such thing!”

“Oh, then why don’t you…” Akane adjusted her grip on the wooden sword then used all her strength and might to lift Kodachi off her feet and swing her in the direction of the school gates. “Make like a tree and leave!”

Kodachi let go of the bokken and flipped several times through the air before gracefully landing on her feet. Akane rolled her eyes and flipped her long hair over her shoulder.

“Come on Ranma, let’s go in before the school bell rings,” she said, hoping they could make it before Kuno showed up for his daily fight.

Alas they were out of luck as there in front of them came Kuno, a bokken in one hand and a bouquet of red roses carefully carried in the other arm.

‘I can see her so clearly…’ /Kuno thought to himself as he walked, his mind filled with fantasies of Akane in a leotard while gracefully using the type of equipment he had seen his younger, twisted sister using. This fantasy had run through his mind several times since he heard Akane would be representing their school in the upcoming match against his sibling’s school. /‘In all her gymnastic grace! These red roses shall speak my encouragement.’

“Akane, I love you!!” Kuno proclaimed taking a swipe with his sword. Ranma, who was the closest to Kuno when he swung the bokken, leapt into the air to avoid being hit. She then landed on the out stretched blade on one foot while planting the other in the middle of Kuno’s face. “Wha do you fink you’re doin!?” Kuno asked, words muffled by Ranma’s foot.

“What do you think you’re doing swing that bokken around like that baka,” Ranma retorted. Kuno growled and dropped the blade down and grabbed the front of Ranma’s school uniform as the other dropped to the ground.

“What do you have against me?” Kuno asked panting for breath, his face smudged with dirt from the bottom of Ranma’s shoe.

“I have plenty against you Kuno,” Ranma said in a dry tone.

“Making new friends brother dear?” Kodachi asked as she appeared behind Ranma.

“Sister, what are you doing here?” Kuno asked as he let go of Ranma who started backing out of the way.

“Brother, I have come to ask for your blessing for I have found the man I wish to marry,” Kodachi said with a longing sigh.

“Hmmmmm…” Kuno mused on this request and glanced in Ranma’s direction. His beloved, if twisted, sister was standing close to the boorish Saotome, his mind jumping to what was to him the most logical conclusion. He suddenly appeared back in Ranma’s personal space and tapped her shoulders once. “Yes!”

“Yes what?” Ranma asked alarmed. Kodachi scowled in confusion.

“Yes, you have my permission to go steady!” Kuno announced, producing a fan with the Japanese flag on it.

“Now wait a minute!” Ranma yelled.

“Not him you idiot brother of mine!” Kodachi yelled with her hands clutched at her sides.

“Oh thank kami,” Ranma breathed in relief as she zipped back to Akane’s side.

“I mean my beloved Mu Tsu,” Kodachi continued. Ranma choked back a laugh of disbelief and grabbed onto Akane to keep herself from falling.

“Mousse!?” She asked. “You’re in love with Mousse?!” Kuno’s eyes narrowed trying to remember that name then thought back to several days ago when he proclaimed his love to his lovely red headed girl, the tall Chinese youth with her.

“The Chinese boy with the pony tailed girl?” Kuno asked his sister. Kodachi ignored him for a moment as she turned toward Ranma, her arms crossed over her chest.

“You know my beloved?” she asked Ranma.

“Errr… yeah? He’s from my village in China,” Ranma said. Kuno thought of how he should answer then nodded.

“Yes my sister, you may pursue this Mousse,” Kuno said with a regal nod/. ‘With Kodachi distracting him, I shall not have to worry about that boy spending time with the pony tailed girl.’/ Kodachi gasped in delight clasping her hands in front of her.

“I don’t think Mousse will be too happy about this,” Ranma whispered into Akane’s ears. “Shampoo on the other hand is going to find this hilarious.”

“I’d rethink that if I was you Kuno baby,” Nabiki said as she joined the small group.

“And what business of yours is it Tendo Nabiki,” Kuno said. Nabiki put one hand on her hip as she stood in front of the Kuno siblings.

“I’ve got plenty of business with you Kuno. For one, you owe us a new bed, your psycho little sister here broke Akane’s last night while attacking her,” Nabiki said.

“Ah, then I shall buy my beloved Akane the finest bed money can buy!” Kuno proclaimed. Akane sighed and covered her face with one hand.

“And secondly, stay away from Mousse ‘Black Rose’, he’s not interested in you,” Nabiki said a touch coldly to Kodachi. Kodachi rose one perfectly groomed eyebrow and her lips tilted into a smirk.

“Oh I see, how interesting,” Kodachi said, her eyes boring into Nabiki’s in challenge. It seemed she had a rival for her Mu Tsu’s heart. She quickly produced a ribbon to snap at Nabiki, Akane growled and quickly got in the way letting the ribbon wrap around her arm before it could hit her older sister.

“Watch it Kuno!” She yelled. “Don’t you dare strike my sister!” Kodachi chuckled and kept her gaze on Nabiki.

“What do you say, then?” The Black Rose asked. “Shall we wager for Mu Tsu in the upcoming match?” Akane’s eyes widened in alarm.

“What did you say!?” Akane yelled. “Are you insane?”

“Fine,” Nabiki agreed. “When Akane wins the match between our schools, you’ll leave off on Mousse.”

Kodachi started laughing in amusement. “I needn’t worry then, she’ll be losing in any case!” She turned to Ranma then. “Tell Mu Tsu, when this match is over, he shall be mine!”

“Somehow I don’t think he’ll be thrilled with that,” Ranma deadpanned. Kodachi jumped back and started to twirl her ribbon sending out a flurry of black rose petals.

“Farewell!” She said then bounded out of the school laughing the whole way.

“Really, that girl is such a deviant,” Kuno said with a tiny sweat drop dripping down the side of his face. “But even so…. Saotome… tell that Chinese boy to take care of my little sister.”

“Wait a second, what?” Ranma asked looking up at Kuno in disbelief.

“I said tell the Chinese boy to take care of my little sister,” Kuno repeated in a serious tone then looked up into the horizon. “I have to admire her for being so wicked, so nasty, so spiteful and so thoroughly twisted.” Kuno then turned toward Akane and handed the bouquet of red roses to her, a tear dripping down his cheek. “Please, Akane, try not to let her injure you. When Kodachi wants a man, she doesn’t let go. She’ll surely try something evil in the match.” He added as he walked away toward the school.

“You better not lose that match little sis,” Nabiki said as she patted Akane’s shoulder. “I’m counting on you, in more ways than one.” Then headed into the school to catch up with Kuno to talk about getting money to replace the bed.

“Ranma… when did our lives become a damn soap opera?” Akane asked her friend after they stood in stunned silence for a few seconds.

“I ask myself the same thing every day Akane,” Ranma said with a sigh as she crossed her arms across her chest.

*****

Kuno sighed as he closed his wallet, a few hundred yen poorer, and watched Nabiki walk away to the other side of the classroom. How he hated dealing with Tendo Nabiki sometimes, but she did provide some of the loveliest photos of Akane and how he wished she would do the same for his mysterious ponytailed love. He worried for Akane, his little sister would wipe the floor with her no matter what skill Akane might have. Maybe he could convince Kodachi to go easy on Akane, perhaps if he offered to be her willing taste tester for a few days?

Kuno shuddered slightly, his sister was both a wonderful and horrible cook at the same time. Her food was wonderful to taste but did such horrible things to his body. On the other hand, he was convinced his body was starting to build immunity to most poisons.

Sighing again, Kuno turned toward the front of the class as their teacher came in. As he absently took notes, his mind wandered a bit until a whispered conversation behind him caught his attention.

“So she’s related to Saotome?” one of female classmates whispered.

“Yeah, Airi from the team said she swept in and kept that loony Kuno girl from completely beating them up,” another one of Kuno’s female classmates answered. “She introduced herself as Saotome Ranka, said she was Saotome-san’s cousin. Goes to a different school I think.”

“Wow… I’ve seen her a few times with Nabiki’s little sister, she does look a lot like Saotome,” the first girl said in a musing tone.

‘Ranka? Are they speaking of…’ Kuno turned to face the two girls. “Do thou’st speak of the ponytailed girl? Whose spirit is as fiery as her hair?”

“If you mean that red headed girl that always hangs with Nabiki’s sister then yeah Kuno-senpai,” one of the two girls said. Kuno’s eyes widened and he stood.

“Yes! My love has a name! And… she’s related to Saotome!?” He yelled as that piece of information registered in his head.

“Kuno! Go stand out in the hallway!” the teacher yelled pointing at the door.

***

As soon as the final bell of the day rang, Ranma was up and out of her seat in a flash, already out the door before anyone could as much as blink.

“Don’t forget to bring Ryoga!” She called over her shoulder to Akane. Ranma wanted to get to the desired meeting spot before Ryoga, someplace quiet and out of the way. With Ryoga’s temper and the way he flung around those deadly bandannas, Ranma thought it might be a smart idea to make sure they were away from people. She was hoping they could clear up this misunderstanding between them, she liked Ryoga after all and even if nothing ever happened between them, a likely possibility depending on whether or not Ryoga freaked out when he learned Ranma was Ranka, she hoped they could at least stay friends. She didn’t have very many of those after all.

“Saotome!” Ranma screeched to a halt as Kuno appeared in front of her, blocking the doorway outside.

“Kuno! What the hell!?” she asked in an annoyed tone. “Look, I don’t have time to fight you today.”

“Nay Saotome, I am not here to battle with you, not at this time,” Kuno said. Ranma frowned in confusion.

“Okay… then why are you in my way then? I’m in a hurry,” she said. She blinked as Kuno produced a stuffed bear and a small bouquet of roses.

“I bid you, please deliver theses to your beautiful cousin Ranka,” Kuno said as he pushed the items into Ranma’s arms.

‘Aww crap, how he found out? Someone must of told him if it’s going around school,’ Ranma thought to herself. “Look Kuno, Ranka’s not interested in dating, she…. Umm… she’s already got a guy.”

“And who pray tell is taking advantage of the sweet innocent Ranka!” Kuno thundered in anger, removing his bokken from his belt and striking a pose. “I, the Blue Thunder, shall smite them!” Ranma sweat dropped and face palmed with her free hand. She heard the whispers that her classmates whom had come out of the classrooms along the hallway and was watching them.

“Look, Kuno, just forget it okay?” Ranma said. “I’m in a hurry so I need to go already.” She dodged under Kuno’s arm as the older boy tried to stop her, dumping the roses and bear into a trash can on the way out the door. “Man what a creep.”

“Well that didn’t go quite like you hoped did it Kuno-baby,” Nabiki said walked up.

“Who it this boy whomst dares to defile the sweet goddess Saotome Ranka?” Kuno asked. “Is Saotome Ranma in league with him?”

“’In league with him?’ Really Kuno?” Nabiki snorted with amusement. “No, Ranma cares a lot about his little cousin, wouldn’t let anyone hurt her.”

“Indeed… at least he has some honor though misguided,” Kuno said then turned to face Nabiki. “Is it the Chinese boy whom you and my twisted sister fight over? They seemed close. Or is it someone else?”

“I really doubt it’s Mousse,” Nabiki said then smirked as she remembered another certain boy whom Ranma was sweet on. “But yeah, I can give up Ranka’s boyfriend… for a price.”

“Ah, that is the Tendo Nabiki I know,” Kuno said with a long suffering sigh. “Name your price.”

Nabiki grinned and held out her hand as she told Kuno how much the information would cost him.

A few minutes later the school seemed to shake as Kuno’s voice rang out in rage.

“Hibiki Ryoga, I will smite thee!”

*****

“I found him,” Akane said as she pulled Ryoga into the area of the park were Ranma was waiting. The boy was blushing just a tiny bit but otherwise seem distracted by something else.

“Finally,” Ranma said as she jumped down from the tree limb she had been sitting off, landing catlike on her feet. “Hey man, before we start this fight I want to talk to you about a couple of thi-“

“Ranma, I don’t have time to fight you today,” Ryoga interrupted. Ranma blinked in surprise.

“Umm… what?” she said.

“I’ve got something important going on, I’ll beat you into a pulp next week,” Ryoga said with a wave of his hand, helping Ranka and her friend Akane was much more important to him right now. He had to make sure Akane was ready as she could be to face that Kuno girl.

“O…kay…” Ranma said exchanging a look with Akane then shrugged her shoulders. “But I still want to talk to you before that. Listen there’s been a misunderst-“

“Hibiki Ryoga!” This time Ranma was interrupted by Kuno who appeared on the clearing’s edge. “I shall make thee pay!”

“Oh come on!” Ranma yelled throwing her hands into the air.

“What is he doing here?” Akane asked to Ranma who just shrugged her shoulders again while make a ‘I don’t know’ sound.

“Who are you?” Ryoga asked frowning as he turned to face Kuno. “And what the hell are you talking about?”

“Ah yes, it is customary to give one’s name,” Kuno said just as dramatically as he had on Ranma’s first day of school. Ranma and Akane both sighed and sweat dropped as Kuno started going through his silly poses. “I am the Blue Thunder of Furinkan High! Tatewaki Kuno, age 17.” As it had before a crash of thunder and a strike of lightning accompanied Kuno’s words as he posed. Ryoga’s eyes narrowed and his lip curled up, flashing a fang.

“Wait, I do know who you are,” he said as he dropped his pack on the ground and withdrew his combat umbrella. “You’re that creep that keeps hitting on Akane-san and Ranka-chan.”

Behind him Ranma flushed slightly as Ryoga called her ‘Ranka-chan’ then scowled.

“Hey wait! You don’t have time to fight me but you can fight him?!” She said pointing at Kuno. Ryoga ignored her as he faced his opponent.

“I forbade you to date the beautiful Ranka,” Kuno said as he pointed his bokken at Ryoga. “I shall not let you sully her sweet innocence.”

“Oh god,” Ranma groaned softly as she buried her face against Akane’s shoulder, Akane patting her back in comfort. Ryoga growled and charged Kuno who dodged out of the way then twisted to stab Ryoga. Ryoga opened his umbrella and used it as a shield, the wooden blade breaking as it struck the hard surface. Kuno looked dumbly at the broken sword for a moment then scowled.

“How dare ye damage my blade!” He yelled. “Sasuke!” A replacement bokken few out of the nearby trees as the Kuno family servant ninja Sasuke tossed it to him. The girls sighed and looked at each other.

“Bail?” Akane asked.

“Bail,” Ranma agreed and they both turned and left as Ryoga and Kuno continued to fight behind them.

The fight only lasted until Ryoga took a wrong turn around a tree and promptly got lost. But by then, Akane and Ranma were long gone and Kuno assumed that Ryoga was so overwhelmed by his might that the other boy fled in terror.

******

“This isn’t funny Shampoo!” Mousse said as he helplessly watched Shampoo laugh so hard that she ended up sitting on the floor holding her stomach.

~It’s hilarious!~ Shampoo responded in Mandarin between her giggles. Mousse sighed then looked over at Akane and Ranma, who had given him the bad news; for whatever reason Akane’s sister Nabiki and that strange girl from last night had wagered over him on Akane’s upcoming competition. He didn’t understand /why/, he didn’t know either of these girls so why was he in the middle of all this? And his heart only belonged to Shampoo, it wouldn’t work anyway.

“How did you even meet that crazy girl?” Ranma asked as she leaned back on her hands from where she was sitting on top of Tofu’s examination table. Mousse frowned and pushed his glasses up onto his nose.

“Last night, above your home,” he nodded to Akane.

“Why were you there?” Akane asked.

“I was looking for Shampoo,” Mousse explained. “I couldn’t find her and I was afraid that she was in her cursed form of a- ow!” Mousse hopped on one foot while holding his ankle on his other leg where Shampoo had kicked him. Ranma and Akane looked on confused and curious to what Mousse was about to say, Ranma still hadn’t learned what spring her pops had drop kicked Shampoo into. Shampoo just looked murderous, she did not need that idiot spilling the beans on her cursed form to the person who currently thought she was her pet!

Mousse finally stopped hopping around, though his ankle still throbbed in pain, then coughed into his fist.

“Never mind, the point was I saw someone I believed to be Shampoo falling toward the ground and I jumped down to save her. It was only after I discovered that is wasn’t Shampoo,” he continued on.

“How can you make a mistake like that, they look nothing alike,” Akane asked. Ranma snorted in amusement then tapped the side of her head.

“He wasn’t wearing his glasses I bet,” she said grinning as Mousse coughed again and blushed.

“Regardless, the stranger hugged me then gave me roses,” Mousse hummed softly and crossed his arms over his chest. “I will say this much, I do admire the herbalist skill she seemed to have, that mix of ingredients made a wonderful paralyzing powder. It was too bad I couldn’t get a sample of it before I had to toss the bouquet away, Mother would have adored studying it.”

“Well if Akane losses the match, I guess you’ll have all the time in the world to get to learn her secrets,” Ranma said in a joking cheerful tone which had Shampoo cracking up again in laughter. Mousse made a frustrated sound and hunched his shoulders.

“Don’t worry Mousse, I don’t plan on losing to that crazy girl,” Akane assured him with a pat on the arm. Ranma wasn’t as confident as Akane was at that… then groaned as she realized something.

“Oh great, we left Ryoga fighting Kuno and forgot we gotta lead him back to the dojo to train you. He could be anywhere by now!”

“Well… I’m sure I can handle it,” Akane said, not feeling as confident as she had been. “I think…”

“I’m doomed,” Mousse bemoaned, sighing as Shampoo started laughing again.
Sign up to rate and review this story