Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Moments in Love

Moving Pictures

by Gandalfs_Beard 0 reviews

New spells, and defence training, right under the noses of the Inquisitors. The Potters and their friends make the best of things. Suggestive Themes...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Harry,Hermione - Published: 2018-02-07 - 7578 words

0Unrated

Moving Pictures

When the Potters arrived at the Mingling Table for breakfast, they found an annoyed Lavender dressing down an abashed looking Neville. Lavender had a very Hermione-ish expression on her face, of the sort that Hermione wore when telling someone off for doing something which they might possibly regret doing later. Harry recalled being on the receiving end of some of those looks in first year - especially before the Troll Incident - and he didn’t envy Neville.

“...Honestly Neville, we’re both prefects,” Lavender was saying crossly. “You should have supported me...”

“I’m sorry Lavender... I know I should have said something. It’s just - Fred and George - they’re our friends...” Neville moaned.

“Neville, you have to be able to stand up to people, even if they are your friends... What they’re doing could be dangerous - even if they don’t mean it to be. You wouldn’t want them to get in trouble for accidentally hurting someone do you?”

“No,” said Neville in a small voice, looking very much like he wanted to crawl under a rock and hide.

“What’s going on?” asked Hermione. Harry thought he had a very good idea of what the Twins might be up to.

“Fred and George,” Lavender answered with a scowl. “They’re trying to rope students into being test subjects for some of the skiving-off sweets they’re making. The sweets supposedly make you temporarily sick enough to ditch class...”

Harry smirked as Hermione bit her lip and thought for a moment; he was fairly certain that Fred and George would be very soon forced to alter their plans.

“That does sound a bit unsafe,” Hermione agreed. “I suppose if Fred and George want to test them on themselves they’re entitled to, and I’d say the best way to stop them from using other students as guinea pigs is to tell them you’ll inform their mother... I doubt either of them would want to receive a Howler from Mrs Weasley.”

“I think you’re on your own on this one Lavender, but I know you’re up to the task,” said Harry, grinning. He raised his eyebrows at Neville. “And I’m sure Neville will have your back from now on... right Neville?”

“Er... yeah! Of course! ... I promise!” said Neville, peering pleadingly at Lavender.

“Oh alright!” Lavender huffed. “I’ll deal with the Weasleys myself then. But I’ll hold you to that promise Neville.”

Neville breathed a sigh of relief and shot Harry a grateful look as the others began to arrive for breakfast. Fred and George took one look at Lavender, deciding that perhaps it might be best to eat at the Gryffindor table. Harry was just digging into his scrambled eggs and bacon when the Wiz-vision screen flickered to life.

The Ministry flag rippled in the wind above a country manor as a rousing march played. A large gathering of witches and wizards saluted Minister Umbridge as she rode a carriage pulled by a number of miserable looking house-elves.

A single row of wizards and witches of regal bearing stood at attention in front of the crowd. Harry presumed that they were the most prominent heads of the Pureblood Houses as one of them looked like Lucius Malfoy.

Senior Undersecretary Percy Weasley bowed to the Minister, then introduced her to the acquiescent throngs, extolling the virtues of loyalty to the Ministry, and of an orderly society in which everyone knew their proper place.

At the end of the sequence the Wiz-Vision displayed a new message for Hogwarts staff and students:


Educational Decree #24:

Henceforth, all Student Organisations, Societies, Clubs, Teams, or Groups are hereby disbanded. An Organisation, Society, Club, Team, or Group is defined as a regular meeting of three or more students.

Permission to re-form may be granted only with the express approval of the Inquisitors. Any student in contravention of Educational Decree #24 will be expelled forthwith.
The Great Hall erupted with sounds of shock and fury. “That’s rubbish!” could be heard over the din, coming from the direction of the Gryffindor table. Harry and Hermione looked to see Fred bellowing angrily. Indeed, the loudest sounds of outrage appeared to be emanating from all of the members of quidditch teams throughout the Hall.

Only one table appeared to be immune to the wave of indignation sweeping through the Great Hall. Malfoy and known members of the Slytherin quidditch team sat grinning and looking insufferably smug. The Potters and their friends glanced at each other, their faces ashen.

“Bloody hell!” gasped Harry. “Hermione, you don’t suppose we had something t’do with this, do you?”

“I really don’t see how we could have, Harry,” Hermione replied, looking a bit shaken. “There’s no way anybody else could have found out yet - it has to be a coincidence. It must be an intimidation tactic...”

“Professor Dumbledore will be able to do something about it, won’t he?” asked Ginny, looking very worried. “I’m trying out for the quidditch team this year too.”

“Well, it looks like Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall are working on it already,” said Luna, pointing towards the staff-table.

Sure enough, the headmaster and headmistress appeared to be deep in animated conversation with the Carrows. Several minutes later Dumbledore stood up to address the students and the Great Hall fell into silence. Everyone awaited his pronouncement with bated breath. Dumbledore’s rich voice rang through the Hall.

“Please calm yourselves,” said the headmaster. “After some discussion with the Professors Carrow, the quidditch teams have all been reinstated...”

At this, the smug looks of the Slytherins evaporated and turned to glares, most of them directed at the Gryffindor table, and great sighs of relief could be heard from everyone else.

“However,” Dumbledore went on, “all other clubs must petition to be reinstated. And as headmaster I shall be reviewing the petitions subject to final approval by the Inquisitors. Now, by all means, please continue with breakfast.”

While most pupils returned their attention to their plates, somewhat mollified, many at the Mingling Table moodily picked at what remained of their breakfasts.

“It’s a good thing you came up with the plan to work in small groups who don’t know everything, Harry,” Dora muttered, “or we’d probably be finished before we’d even got started. It’ll be ‘ard enough as it is just for us all to meet up now without lookin’ suspicious.”

Harry nodded, sighing heavily. He and Hermione were both distracted much of the day, but all things considered, things went relatively smoothly. Malfoy and McLaggen both seemed to be keeping their distance, though Draco could be heard loudly boasting about his father’s “special relationship” with the Minister at every opportunity to anyone who would listen.

“Bloody git,” Ron muttered as he and Seamus made their way to Care of Magical Creatures with the Potters and their other fifth year friends. “The way Malfoy goes on about the Minister, anyone would think that she’s his new mum.”

“She might be more or less,” Hermione responded quietly. “The Minister has obviously been harbouring the Malfoys personally since Narcissa Black left Mr Malfoy, and since she sneakily got Draco out of Azkaban. And that was months ago. For all we know, Minister Umbridge and Mr Malfoy have developed an intimate relationship.”

“Urgh... You can’t be serious,” said Harry. “She’s hideous...”

Daphne wrinkled her nose in distaste and made a retching sound. “I can’t imagine Mr Malfoy even being attracted to her - she looks like a toad. What would someone as high and mighty as him even see in her?”

“Well, looks aren’t everything,” said Parvati. “People can be attracted to each other for different reasons. But I admit the Minister is as revolting on the inside as she appears to be on the outside.”

“You’re right Parvati,” Hermione nodded. “I don’t think looks really come into it. I expect it’s more a matter of convenience for Mr Malfoy. The Minister has what he wants - political access to the Ministry. He’ll probably do anything to keep her happy to stay close to Power. He’s probably just using her...”

“And she’s using him too,” Harry interjected. “She’s manipulating Lucius Malfoy just as much as he is her. It’s obviously a mutually beneficial relationship. I just hope the Order has Madam Black well protected,” Harry concluded darkly as they entered the outskirts of the Forbidden Forest near Hagrid's hut.

Jennifer - who had opted to take Care of Magical Creatures with the others - remained silent as she followed the conversation; she had never met Lucius Malfoy, but he sounded as horrid as his son or any of the other followers of Voldemort that she’d come across. But the topic was soon forgotten when Hagrid introduced the class to creatures that were invisible to most of the students except for Harry and Hermione, and those who had been with them at the battle for Hogwarts.

Parvati gasped in surprise. Daphne and Jennifer shrank back from the eerie black skeletal horse-like creatures with bat-wings. Neville gulped, thinking the creatures looked rather ominous and forbidding. Hermione peered at them in fascination, and a strange feeling came over Harry which he couldn’t really describe.

“Thestrals!” said Hermione. “I didn’t know we had them here at Hogwarts...”

“Right yeh are Hermione,” beamed Hagrid. “Very misunderstood creatures they are... They pull the carriages that bring you lot up ter the castle from the Hogwarts Express.”

“Oh...” said Harry, as recognition set in, “I remember them from Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. But why haven’t I seen them before then? And why are we the only ones that can?” he asked.

“Because we’ve seen Death, Harry,” Hermione responded sadly. “And lots of it... Though I’m not sure why you haven’t see them before. You were there when your mother was killed...”

Harry swallowed, blinking back sudden tears. “Maybe... maybe it was because I never really understood what I was seeing at the time - I was too little. I... I really only saw it properly... only when Snape helped me... er...”

Hermione nodded and took Harry’s hand. “I know Harry,” she said gently. “You don’t have to say it.”

Harry took a deep breath to steady himself and mustered a smile. He reached out a hand to a small Thestral which appeared to be a foal and it let him stroke its snout. Its shiny black coat was surprisingly soft and velvety.

Harry still didn’t know what to call that feeling the Thestrals aroused within him, but if he had to describe the feeling he might have said it was bittersweet, a sort of yearning for something beautiful that he’d lost but was yet still a part of him, something tantalisingly just out of reach, yet within his grasp.

It felt like a beloved memory too painful to let go of, and too painful to hold onto. It felt like seeing a picture of his mother for the first time, or like seeing his parents in the Mirror of Erised.

“Thestrals...” Harry murmured as a tear broke free and rolled down one cheek, “they’re not so bad really...”

“Quite righ’ Harry...” Hagrid cheerfully agreed as he chucked large slabs of raw meat at the Thestrals.

“Very gentle creatures Thestrals are!” he continued as the creatures began ravenously tearing the chunks of bloody meat to shreds with their razor sharp fangs.

After classes let out for the day, Hermione could see that Harry still had a brooding look about him. She waved off their friends, knowing that Harry just wanted to be alone. They both retired to their quarters for the evening, not even returning to the Great Hall for dinner.

Harry lay on the bed, settling in Hermione’s warm embrace as she stroked his messy black hair and kissed him tenderly. Crookshanks purred as he looked down from the top of the wardrobe, his bushy tail curled around Hedwig...

~o0o~

Friday eventually rolled around, and with it came the apprehension of knowing that Amycus Carrow’s class was looming. Harry was distracted from his rumination by the morning’s Wiz-Vision broadcast. This one was quite a bit lengthier than the previous ones, being the first ever wizard daily news programme.

A rousing musical introduction was followed by an impeccably groomed wizard discussing the Daily Prophet’s top stories with a brassy looking witch who appeared to be doing a remarkably good impression of an older Rita Skeeter with pointier features, far too much make-up, and redder hair.

“That reminds me,” Harry whispered to Hermione as the announcers launched into the first topic of the day, “I wonder where Rita Skeeter’s going to hide now. I haven’t seen her since the battle with Voldemort...”

“That’s a good question Harry,” Hermione replied quietly. She shook her bushy head in disbelief, “I still can’t get over her joining the Order. She’s in as much trouble as the rest of us might be if the Minister catches her...”

Sitting next to Hermione, Luna couldn’t help overhearing.

“She’s working with Daddy now,” Luna murmured with a grin. “I found out after I spoke to Daddy the other day... He told me that they’re working on a way to break into the Wiz-Vision broadcast so that they can do their own pirate broadcasts eventually. The Order bought a Wiz-Vision screen for them to experiment on. It might take a while before they work it out though.”

“That’s brilliant!” Harry whispered excitedly. “That reminds me...”

“Harry!” Hermione hissed, tugging on his sleeve. Harry turned back to look at the giant screen to see what had caught her attention.

“....Muggleborn Wizard Dick Turpentine was arrested by Aurors today on suspicion of stealing wands,” the fabulously coiffed wizard announcer was saying. “The investigation has been ordered to be turned over to the Unspeakable Office in the Department of Mysteries by the Minister - as the stolen wands were allegedly being distributed to muggles for their own use in an apparent scheme to challenge the authority of the Ministry.”

“Surely not, William!” gasped the brassy witch co-anchor in clearly feigned surprise. “How could a muggle possibly make use of a wand?”

“Ah, Endora... well, that is the million galleon question,” William the wizard news-anchor replied. “And that is why Dick Turpentine has been turned over to the Department of Mysteries for investigation.”

“Well, Head Auror Rufus Scrimgeour certainly can’t be happy about that...” Endora the witch co-anchor responded. “Could this possibly explain some of the recent statistics showing an uptick in the apparent birth of muggleborn wizards?”

“Indeed, perhaps this is even related to the recent events at Hogwarts and the second death of He-who-must-not-be-named,” William replied. “Who can be certain until the investigation is completed? But surely it is an open question given the muggleborn promoting proclivities of the headmaster...

“This could possibly even call into question the very notion of wizards ever actually being sired by muggles. Could this be the culmination of a centuries long conspiracy to breach the Statute of Secrecy by stealing wands and teaching muggles how to use them? If so, then every so-called muggleborn is plausibly suspect.”

Audible gasps of shock filled the Great Hall. Harry’s nostrils flared angrily; he glanced at Hermione who was livid. Dora’s expression was nothing short of murderous and Jennifer swallowed anxiously. Appalled glances were shared around the Mingling Table by those who were aware of the circumstances surrounding Jennifer’s recent “discovery” of her magical abilities.

“Well, William - that is certainly food for thought,” Endora said unctuously. “And with that, we conclude the very first broadcast of WVN’s Morning News Headlines in conjunction with the Daily Prophet. This has been Endora Le Fay...”

“...And William O’Hannity! Bringing Fair and Balanced news to you daily, because we’re looking out for you!” the wizard news anchor concluded bombastically.

After the half hour news programme had finished, the screen displayed once again Educational Decrees twenty three and twenty four. Except for a few chortles from the Slytherin table, the Great Hall was silent.

All eyes turned to the Carrows whose countenances bore thin cruel smiles. Even the headmaster turned to face them with the coldest expression Harry had ever seen on Dumbledore’s visage... at least the coldest he had seen since the day that Draco Malfoy had been arrested for the kidnapping and sexual assault of Daphne’s sister Astoria.

Gradually a murmur filled the hall as the students resumed eating their breakfasts and discussed the chilling turn of events. Many more students glanced fearfully at the Carrows that morning.

Classes were subdued that day, and most of the Professors were all on edge, but they did their best to reassure the students that the speculations of the newscasters were entirely baseless and without merit.

History of Magic was the biggest surprise since breakfast though. Professor Binns made not a single mention of Goblin Uprisings or Giant Wars. Instead, his entire lesson was devoted to a lecture on the history of the accomplishments and valiant deeds of muggleborn wizards.

Harry and Hermione were even more determined than ever to focus intently on their subjects. After they both performed the Vanishing Charm flawlessly within the first twenty minutes of practice, Professor Flitwick took them aside while the rest of the class struggled - though Parvati and Jennifer both appeared to be doing quite well.

“My word, Mr and Mrs Potter!” Professor Flitwick led the Potters from their desks to a corner of the room away from the other students, speaking quietly so as not to be overheard, “It would appear that your skills may outstrip the current year’s syllabus. And I must say, I was quite impressed that you both managed to hold your own during the battle against Voldemort.

“Why don’t you give me an idea of the charms you already know so that I can teach you something more appropriate to your skill levels? Don’t bother with listing the charms you have learned in my classes the last four years - I already know that you are both highly proficient in those, and while they are revised for each year’s level, I don’t doubt that you could both perform them at OWL level were I to test you at this very moment.”

“Well... we both studied all the coursework for this year over the summer,” said Hermione as she took a deep breath before she launched into a full speed recitation. “And as you said, the fifth year spells are nearly all revisions of charms from earlier years except for the Vanishing Charm and some of the combat spells being introduced this year... But Harry and I already know those because we practiced them with Professor Moody during the Triwizard Tournament...”

“Ah, yes, of course!” Flitwick interjected with a nod, “I recall Dumbledore mentioning as much, and Mr Potter’s successful completion of the second and third tasks was certainly an indication of his advancements. Alright then... can I presume that you are both well acquainted with stunning and shielding...”

“...and Bombarda and Incendio...” said Hermione.

“...and the Reductor Curse and Aguamenti...” Harry continued.

“...and of course we practiced the advanced versions of those spells - Bombarda Maxima, Protego Maxima, and Protego Totalum over the summer...” Hermione added. “Not to mention that we can both perform Corporeal Patronuses... Professor Lupin taught us in third year...”

“Good Lord! You can both produce Corporeal Patronuses?” Professor Flitwick sputtered, his eyes bulging, “I knew that you had both had some training in the basic Patronus shield, but Dumbledore never mentioned... though I suppose I ought to have suspected...

“And most of the charms you have mentioned aren’t even taught until sixth and seventh year.” The diminutive professor stroked his goatee thoughtfully. “Tell me - have you either of you practiced performing any spells nonverbally?”

“Er... nonverbally?” Harry looked puzzled.

“I mean without saying the incantations out loud.”

“Oh... er... I do loads of them nonverbally,” responded Harry uncertainly, “except for the Patronus Charm, I usually forget to say them out loud - I just do a lot of the spells automatically without thinking once I've learned them. Hermione does too... That’s alright isn’t it?”

“Wait, did you just say you simply forget to say them out loud?” Flitwick looked a bit faint. “Yes... indeed! That’s perfectly appropriate Potter - usually people have to learn how to ‘forget’ - in Sixth Year...”

“Professor Moody said you’d be pleased when you found out,” Hermione beamed. She reached into her book bag and pulled out the “ridiculously advanced” Charms book they had been reading and handed it to Professor Flitwick.

“We’ve also been studying the spells in here sir,” she continued. “We’re working on Pictura Portus at the moment, but we’ve also been looking at the Undetectable Extension Charm, and Protego Horribilis...”

“...and the Disillusionment Charm,” said Harry, grinning.

Professor Flitwick looked up from the thick book, smiling and nodding in satisfaction. The Potters had been the most proficient pupils in his class that he’d seen in a number of years, but he hadn’t been aware of quite how advanced they had become since the Triwizard tournament had begun.

“Well, Potters... It would appear that it behooves me to create a structured Independent Study syllabus for you both to follow, so you won’t have any gaps in your knowledge as you move forward...”

Hermione basked in the glow of Flitwick’s praises the rest of the day, the distress of the morning news forgotten. Harry was slightly less pleased as Hermione seemed eager to regale all of their friends with an accounting of his academic progress.

“...and the only class that Harry is still struggling in is Arithmancy,” Hermione was proudly telling Lavender, Parvati, Daphne, Jennifer, Neville and Hannah as they all made their way to the next class.

“Well, I doubt I’ll ever be any good at it,” Harry muttered, blushing furiously and wishing that Hermione would shut-up. “I’ll just be happy if I can continue to scrape Acceptables. And I’m not very good at Astronomy either.”

“Don’t be silly Harry - I’m sure you’ll eventually be getting E’s in Arithmancy, and you’re doing just fine in Astronomy,” Hermione said airily. “It doesn’t matter anyway. You’re advanced in many of the most important classes. It’s no wonder that Remus and Sirius think you could easily take an extended leave of absence from Hogwarts without damaging your academic record...”

“We’re both already doing sixth year Potions, you’re brilliant in Ancient Runes, you should probably be in a seventh year Defence Against the Dark Arts class, and you could easily pass your OWL’s in Transfigurations with an E...”

To Harry’s dismay, Hermione kept gushing about his prodigious skills and exceptional study habits at every opportunity without pausing to take a breath. Hermione didn’t stop until it was time for Amycus Carrow’s class.

The Inquisitor’s class was their last full period of the day. Amycus Carrow held it in the Great Hall to accommodate the fifth year students of all the Houses all at once. Professor Carrow oozed a malignant joy as he launched into his lesson which focused on the Blood lineage of the most prominent pureblood families in Britain.

Professor Amycus Carrow cast his gaze across the Great Hall, his eyes narrowing and a thin sly smile creeping to his lips when he spied Harry Potter.

“Well, well... Here we all are!” the Inquisitor drawled, “Finally, at long last, Hogwarts will be providing the knowledge which is necessary for a proper appreciation of the Traditions and Heritage of our ancient wizarding culture.

“The Ministry believes that for far too long have those with less than full... genetic potential been allowed to join wizard society with a less than adequate respect for their superiors, and an unacceptably low level of understanding of our Culture for complete assimilation...”

Hermione bristled angrily, and it took Harry an incredible amount of restraint - every ounce of his will in fact - to prevent himself from objecting in a furious outburst to Amycus Carrow’s vile rhetoric. He knew it would do nobody any good to deliberately antagonise the Inquisitor.

Professor Carrow’s first lesson consisted mostly of an examination of the Sacred Twenty Eight - those families which had been considered the most Pureblood family lines of the surviving Pureblood Houses when the Pureblood Directory had been created in the 1930’s.

Every student received an updated copy of the Directory to study, and the lecture was accompanied by images on the Wiz-Vision screen of the most important historical and current Heads of Houses, interspersed with diagrammes of some of the family trees.

As Professor Carrow explained it, there were still roughly fifty Houses in Britain, even today, but the Pureblood Directory only contained those whose families were deemed the “Purest” for one reason or another.

Early drafts of the Directory which had been discovered, had apparently contained 29 family names, and Professor Carrow seemed to relish revealing the fact that - although they were one of the oldest lines - the Potter family had been excluded by the time of publication due to their appalling lack of respect for blood-status.

Amycus smirked nastily and looked right at Harry as Draco Malfoy and a number of Slytherins chortled gleefully. Harry rolled his eyes and yawned to show that he couldn’t care less. But he was interested to see that as the Directory had originally been published in the 1930's, the Gaunt line appeared to end with a question mark.

By all indications, Tom Riddle had chosen not to update the status of the Gaunt Family with his name in order to hide the fact that his father had actually been a muggle - a fact that was apparently only known to members of the Order of the Phoenix, the Potters, and some of their friends. Harry whispered his bemusement to Hermione.

“I expect only Wormtail knew,” Hermione quietly responded. “He was the only one at Riddle Manor when he returned Voldemort to a proper body. I suppose Voldemort could have told some of his followers too - like Bellatrix - but it’s doubtful. Obviously he didn’t see fit to tell anyone at all during the first war.”

Harry nodded and returned his attention to Mr Carrow’s lecture.

Decades had gone by with the Directory containing only the Sacred Twenty Eight. A fair number of students looked thoroughly embarrassed to see their family names included on the list, including Daphne, Neville, Ernie MacMillan, and Hannah Abbott.

Harry wasn’t too surprised when Professor Carrow explained that the blood-status of the Black Family and the Weasley family had recently been downgraded to “Questionable” due to the “lack of respect” shown for their heritage by the current Heads of those Houses. Harry knew that Sirius and Narcissa Black wouldn’t care, and he presumed that Arthur Weasley didn’t give a rat’s arse either.

“Hey Weaselby,” Draco taunted Ron under his breath, “How does it feel to be disowned.”

“Shove it Malfoy!” Ron retorted bitterly. Ron honestly didn’t give a fig that his family was known as blood-traitors, but he hated that Malfoy had another piece of ammunition to goad him with. Ron hoped that the quidditch tryouts after classes would improve his mood.

After they left the Great Hall, Theo, Blaise, and Pansy caught up with the Potters, all peering around nervously to make sure that the rest of the Slytherins had gone.

“Er... just thought you probably ought to know Harry,” said Theo, “I overheard them... Draco and Crabbe and Goyle - they’ve been talking about how Dumbledore must’ve given you a secret weapon to use against V...V...Voldemort’s army - and they’ve been saying that they and the Carrows have been ordered to try and find out what it is... by any means necessary....”

“But they’re biding their time for a bit,” Blaise added. “They’re just waiting for the Minister to get around to removing Dumbledore...”

~o0o~

It was an excited Ron and Ginny who joined the Potters at the Mingling Table that evening for dinner. Ron was accompanied by Seamus and Ginny by Luna, both of whom looked quite proud of their respective companions. Fred and George arrived too, apparently having got over their berating by Lavender who was sitting with Viktor at the end of the table with a satisfied smile on her face.

“I can’t believe it Harry,” Ron gasped, “I actually made the Quidditch team this year... I got the Keeper position.”

“I know - I was there... remember?” Harry grinned after listening to Ron for the hundredth time. Ron had been repeating himself until he was almost hoarse, still trying to process the amazing fact that he had made the team

“We can’t believe it either,” snorted Fred, “I don’t know what Angelina was thinking...”

Ron and Ginny both glared, and George shot Fred a reproving look. Fred shut-up immediately, an apologetic expression replacing the teasing one.

“Don’t listen to him, Ron,” said George kindly, “Fred’s only joking. We’re both really proud of you - aren’t we Fred!?”

“Of course we are,” Fred hurriedly agreed. “Sorry Ron. Old habits... You’ve been practicing really hard - you deserve it... really, I mean it!”

Ron looked mollified and nodded his acceptance of Fred’s apology.

“And I can’t believe that I’m going to be the Seeker this year,” Ginny squealed.

“That’s bloody brilliant!” said Harry with a grin. He was really pleased that Ron was finally getting his chance to shine at something. “I can’t wait to see you both play in the first match...”

“I’m so thrilled for you both!” Hermione beamed.

Everyone around the table congratulated Ron and Ginny, and Ron was especially pleased when Viktor Krum offered his praises.

“They’ll have to change the name of the team to Team Weasley...” Luna giggled.

“Too true!” George mused. “Mind you, not all of the Gryffindors are pleased about that...”

“Too bad for McLaggen...” Fred laughed. “What an idiot! ... I can’t believe he thought he stood a chance. Angelina hates him!”

“Towler accused Angelina of favouritism,” chimed in George. “Which is stupid, because Ron and Ginny won their spots fair and square.”

“Who else ees on ze team?” Fleur asked politely.

“Katie Bell and Alicia Spinnet are still on the team as Chasers,” Ginny responded gleefully, “That’s why I didn’t bother to try out for that position. But it means for the first time in fifteen years the girls will outnumber the boys - according to McGonagall.”

Fred made a face and rolled his eyes, but then he grinned and winked to show that he was just joking.

George gave Ron a serious look. “Of course that means you’ll have to be on your best behaviour Ron.”

“I’ll do my best t’be nice...” Ron mumbled, swallowed nervously, his ears turning pink. “I promise!”

~o0o~

The rainy week had cleared up by Saturday, leaving naught but a few puffy white clouds scudding across the sky. The cheerful morning sun glimmered on the surface of the Black Lake as some ducks dove for fish. Harry peered around to make sure that they were still alone, and shared a look with Hermione before turning back to Viktor, Lavender, and Cedric and Cho.

“... And whatever happens Harry, you can count on me,” Cedric was saying as he smiled sincerely. “I’m in! I’ll start training some of the other Hufflepuffs - but only the ones I’m sure of - and Cho of course. And we’ll give Padma and a few of the other Ravenclaws as much help as we can to form their own defence team as well.”

“Excellent! Thanks loads Cedric,” said Harry, returning his smile. “Hermione, Dora, and I have our hands full as it is. This’ll make it easier for Susan and Padma if they can train with you a bit too during the week... And it’ll be much safer for all of us to work in small groups when it’s most convenient - especially given our different schedules...

“The Twins are fast learners. I’m sure they’ll be able to pick up enough on the weekends with us to pass it on to the Gryffindors the rest of the week. I don’t know how much time we have before the Minister makes her next big play - but I’m sure she’ll try to gin up a good excuse to sack Dumbledore sooner or later.

“After that, all bets are off on how long we have before she comes after me and Hermione. So we’ll just have to train up as many trustworthy people as best as we can in the meantime. And don’t forget - protecting muggleborn students are the top priority once Dumbledore’s gone...

“I don’t think the Minister is keen on harming any purebloods - and she’s more concerned about halfbloods ‘knowing their place’ than doing them in,” Harry concluded.

“Except for Harry... and anyone who openly tries to help us of course!” Hermione exclaimed crossly.

~o0o~

Following lunch the Potters and their friends made their way to the Room of Requirement through the drafty stone corridors, carefully avoiding being spotted by the Carrows thanks to the Marauders’ Map.

“Wicked Harry!” Fred grinned when he saw the training room for the first time.

“Isn’t it though?” said Ginny, “We’ve been training here with Harry and Hermione since before the Third Task of the Triwiz.”

“This is bloody brilliant!” said George in an awed tone, “We had no idea this room even existed.” Fred and George peered at Ginny with admiration, seeing her with new eyes.

“Good on you oh sister of ours - you’ve done the Weasley name proud...” said Fred.

“You managed to keep Harry and Hermione’s secret good and proper...” George continued. “Not to mention helping to fight the Noseless Wonder’s army...”

“Dad and Bill didn’t even tell us that,” Fred sniggered. “I suppose he didn’t want to alarm Mum. She’d scream blue murder if she ever found out.”

“Anyway - remember, you’ve got to keep this a secret,” Harry warned. “It wouldn’t do for the Carrows, or any of the cretins like Malfoy or McLaggen to find out about the Room of Requirement.”

“Don’t worry Harry. You can trust us,” Padma promised as she gave him a hug.

“I know I can,” Harry said, his face reddening. “I just meant to make sure you’re careful that no-one sees you when you meet us here...”

“And thanks for inviting us,” Susan Bones beamed and threw her arms around Harry too, giving him a kiss on the cheek as his blush deepened. “Hermione told me that we were the only ones you trusted enough to let us in on everything.”

“So, where do we start, Harry?” George asked.

“Well... I reckoned probably with a few muggle fighting techniques,” said Harry with a grin. Ten minutes later, Fred and George were both laid out, sprawled on the mat.

“Bloody Hell Harry! I hurt all over,” groaned George. “What did Mad Eye and Dora teach these girls?”

“Just a few tricks we picked up in muggle gyms,” Dora chuckled. “Mad Eye’s one of the few Aurors to bother makin’ the effort. Only those ‘oo trained under ‘im at boot-camp really know how t’do it.”

“Remind me never to prank this lot,” Fred moaned at his twin as he looked up at Ginny and Daphne from the floor.

“Are you alright?” asked Daphne, worry etched on her features. “I’m sorry... I didn’t mean to hurt you. I held back as much as possible.”

George guffawed. “Blimey, if that was you two holding back, I never want to be on your bad sides! Some Beaters we are... if Oliver could see us now, he’d cut us from the team.”

“That’s why we're lucky Angelina’s captain of the team this year...” muttered Fred.

“Nice work on Fred, Daphne,” giggled Ginny. “And I never thought I’d see the day that I could clobber Fred or George at anything.”

“Très bien Ginny, Daphne,” Fleur tittered.

“Don’t worry. We’ll focus on combat spells tomorrow,” said Harry sympathetically. “It’s good to know a few muggle fighting techniques too though. Once you’re halfway decent, you should start training some of the other Gryffindors.”

Following the practice in the Room of Requirement, Harry spent the next two hours painting Runes and Chinese symbols on his wife and their friends in the Unaffiliated Common Room, minus the newest recruits who had returned to their respective dorms.

Neville chose to be inked first, knowing what was coming next. He fled as soon as Harry was finished with him, and Viktor followed soon after.

Harry grinned when all of the girls stripped off their blouses revealing their undergarments, ready to be tattooed. Apparently modesty was a thing of the past in the completely private Unaffiliated common room. Hermione smirked, thinking that perhaps the others had decided that Harry should be considered an honorary “girl” since seeing him morph into one, and no doubt hoping to hold him to Harriet’s promise of a fashion show. Lavender blushed, but seemed comfortable enough to remove her shirt when she saw that the other girls were alright with it.

“I visited Remus and Sirius earlier today,” said Dora as Harry inked her last. “Remus told me I should teach you lot ‘ow to apparate seein’ as he can’t come up to the Castle at the moment...”

“I spoke to Dumbledore about it,” she continued, “and he says we can practice in the Room of Requirement. We won’t be able to go beyond the Room of course, but ‘e says the Room’s magic should allow us to apparate from one spot to another within its confines.”

Harry’s brows furrowed in thought. “Alright... it looks like we’ll be spending a lot of time in the Room of Requirement on the weekends then. We can practice apparating in the mornings. I’ll tell the Twins and Padma and Susan to come for training in the afternoons just after lunch.”

“Sounds like a plan Harry,” Dora agreed.

Harry looked around when he heard the piano, spying Hermione and Jennifer both playing together. He smiled when he heard Parvati’s lilting voice joining in. Luna, Ginny, Fleur, and Daphne had finally managed to convince Parvati to sing for everyone after ganging up on her.

Harry thought he recognised the tune as a particularly soulful Celtic folk song that Aunt Petunia would often listen to when Vernon wasn’t around. The only time he could remember Petunia ever listening to music was when Uncle Vernon had been at work.

She had been particularly fond of folk music and opera which Uncle Vernon had despised. Harry felt his eyes grow watery as the memories mingled with the present, not entirely sure why. He took off his glasses and wiped his blurry eyes so that he could see properly to finish tattooing Dora.

“Cor!” Dora marveled. “Parvati’s got a lovely singin’ voice... and I ‘ad no idea that Hermione could play the piano too.”

“Yeah, Hermione just started playing again recently,” Harry said creakily. He cleared his throat. “...She’s really good.”

~o0o~

Harry was worn out and thought that he and Hermione might spend the rest of the afternoon lazing around a bit, but Hermione apparently had other ideas. Shortly after he’d finished inking everyone, Hermione dragged him to the unused classroom - now storeroom - which had contained the Mirror of Erised.

He assumed that they would be practicing the Pictura Portus Charm on the paintings stored within. But Harry’s assumption wasn’t entirely correct. While making certain that the door was well and truly locked, Harry felt Hermione’s arms entwine around his waist and her chin on his shoulder as she began to nuzzle his neck.

Harry turned around, smirking when he realised that Hermione had other plans, and returned her affections. Out of the corner of his eyes, Harry caught a glimpse of a sunny meadow - grasses and wildflowers waving in the breeze, cotton ball clouds sweeping across the sky - by a glistening blue lake in the painting behind Hermione as their kisses grew more heated. Lips parting wetly from hers to take a breath, Harry had to ask.

“Er... what’s up Hermione? Why are snogging in here?”

“Because we’re celebrating, Harry,” she replied with a naughty golden gleam in her eyes. “I’ve done it... I finally managed to perform the Pictura Charm and I thought we should test it out properly... by continuing this inside the landscape painting...”

Harry’s eyes lit up and he grinned. “That’s an absolutely brilliant idea Hermione! Let’s give it a go then...”

Hermione chanted the incantation and performed the intricate wand movements. The surface of the painting began to shimmer. Taking Harry’s hand, Hermione stepped into the frame and giddily pulled him through.

Moments later they were rolling around in the golden meadow, shedding clothes as their passions intensified. One hand behind Harry’s head and the other pressing into the small of his back, Hermione reclined on the painted ground. It wasn’t long before the fervor took them both, sweeping them away in a torrent of ecstasy.

When they were finished, Hermione sighed in contentment, snuggled under one of Harry’s arms, a hand caressing his bare chest. They lay together in the field of long golden grasses and purple wildflowers by the shimmering deep-blue water of the lake, basking under the bright sun.

It felt amazingly lifelike even though every brush-stroke was visible in every blade of grass which surrounded the Potters’ naked figures, and in every ripple on the surface of the lake. A large wooden frame hung in mid-air nearby, through which they could both still see the unused classroom on the other side.

The only other thing besides the painted textures of their surroundings which made it obvious that the apparently three dimensional world they were in wasn’t quite “real,” was the fact that to either side of the frame the world faded into a colourless blankness at an angle concomitant to the perspective at which it had been painted. It was as if they were inside a life-size diorama - the snowcapped mountains behind the rolling green foothills even appeared to be quite some distance away.

“I reckon we could keep walking that direction and climb those mountains Hermione,” Harry marveled. “I suppose there’s no backside to them though...”

“I think you’re right Harry - it would seem that each painting is a finite space only containing whatever was in the visual field that the painter could fit onto the canvas. I expect if we walked off into the blank bits of space at the sides, we’d emerge into the ‘world’ of the next nearest picture in the classroom, just like the wizard portraits do.”

“It would be really weird if this was a lot less realistic picture - like a cartoon,” Harry mused.

Hermione giggled. “That wouldn’t be so bad. Can you imagine being inside an Impressionist, the later period ones I mean - or even worse - a Cubist painting?”

Harry thought back to some of the paintings in the London art museums that he had been to with Hermione and his mind boggled.

“Er... some of those Post-Impressionist ones like some of van Gogh’s would be really interesting actually - Starry Night would be amazing - but Cubist... no... definitely not! I think I’d go mad inside a Picasso. I wonder if someone saw us in a painting though, would we look like we were painted in the style of the painting too?” Harry wondered.

Hermione thought for a moment, imagining herself as a Monet girl, or even a Renoir nude. She began to flush, perking with arousal once more at the very idea.

“Well... have a really good look at me Harry,” Hermione giggled again as she shimmied in front of Harry’s face. “Do you see any paintbrush-strokes?”

Harry grinned and tickled Hermione's ribs, shaking his head as she shrieked with laughter.

“Only the ones that I painted on you myself,” he replied with a chuckle as he eyed the Runic and Chinese symbol tattoos. “Shame really... you’d be a gorgeous Early Impressionist painting Hermione...”

Hermione beamed radiantly. Harry suddenly found himself in another heated embrace with Hermione atop him amidst the painted grasses and wildflowers...
Sign up to rate and review this story