Categories > Books > Eragon > Murtagh's Cage 2

Murtagh's Cage 2

by Murtagh4Nei 1 review

Murtagh Realises Life is different for him

Category: Eragon - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Fantasy - Characters: Morzan, Murtagh, Other - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2006-09-16 - Updated: 2006-09-17 - 339 words

0Unrated
By the time young Murtagh learned to walk and talk, which all happened quickly during his first through second year of age, he realized that his life was going to be different.
His mother he didn't see often, though he had heard that she was there when he was born. His father he saw rarely, but when he did, he was often yelled at or shunned. Murtagh learned quickly to stay out of his father's sight and to not bother him.
He was taught to hold and wield a blade when he was a little over three, as Morzan wished for his son to become competent quickly. His servant Tornac, instructed by Morzan, gave Murtagh lessons for three hours every day. Though many times Murtagh lost control of his small sword, Tornac would never beat him as his father might have, but merely smiled and told him to try again. Murtagh grew to like the man, and soon Tornac became his father much more so than Morzan.
Much of the time, Murtagh was left by himself and occasionally, his nurse, who accompanied him at meals and at bedtime. But as he grew up, his nurse came less and less frequently, making Murtagh lonelier than ever.
Every few months, he saw his mother Selena, who was only allowed to stay for twenty minutes on Morzan's orders. She would ask him how Murtagh was doing and how he felt. Murtagh always lied, saying that he was fine, but he knew his mother knew the truth. He also knew that his mother didn't want to see him, because he knew that it tore her heart apart to see his tortured life.
Often times, Murtagh cried at night, thinking of all the neglect and hate in his life. He cursed his father, cursed his mother, and cursed the world. He wanted to be normal, but he knew that being the son of a Forsworn, he could never be normal.
However, thoughts of revenge never really occurred to him until he was nearly four...
Sign up to rate and review this story