Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Moments in Love

The End of the Line: Part 2

by Gandalfs_Beard 0 reviews

The Potters and their friends find themselves in rapidly escalating danger... Mature Themes/Trigger Warning

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2018-03-14 - 9594 words

0Unrated
Something had obviously happened. A hum of nervous curiosity and bewilderment rose in the Great Hall as it filled with hungry students at breakfast time. As the Potters and their friends took seats at the Mingling Table, snatches of conversation could be heard.

“What’s going on?”

“Dunno...”

“Why are those two sitting there?”

“Where’s Dumbledore?”

Harry swallowed anxiously and gave Hermione’s hand a comforting squeeze as they eyed the smug countenances of the two Inquisitors. The Carrows were seated opposite the Potters in the centre of the Staff Table, looking for all the world like a king and queen waiting for their coronation to begin.

A quick look around the Hall also revealed the presence of wizards with insignia on their robes which Harry didn’t recognise.

“Those are Unspeakables,” Dora whispered, seeing Harry’s puzzled expression. Hermione bit her lip to stifle a sob; a tear escaped and rolled down one cheek.

“You alright Hermione?” Harry asked, giving her hand another gentle squeeze. She nodded forlornly.

“I will be Harry. We knew this was coming at any moment - that eventually they’d oust Dumbledore. I... I just... now that it’s actually happening...” Hermione trailed off, unable to say any more.

Harry glanced around the table at the rest of the Unaffiliated and their friends; their expressions ran the gamut from apprehension to anger. Fleur’s natural radiance had lost its usual lustre and Daphne’s gaze was frosty. Dora’s countenance was stony and she narrowed her eyes when she spotted Malfoy ogling the Unaffiliated and chortling with unabashed glee.

Jennifer was miserable. She had grown more comfortable being among the many other students at Hogwarts since the beginning of the term, and had enjoyed herself despite everything; she didn’t want to leave.

“Well, looks like this is it,” said Harry quietly. “We’ll be alright - just try to stay together everyone, and we’ll jump ship at the earliest opportunity... If anyone gets separated, just get back to our Corridor and stay there until we meet up. Nobody else can get in there except for us...”

Harry was interrupted by the swell of music which heralded the morning news. The ever dapper William O’Hannity began the programme with his usual gratingly pontifical manner, but in place of his usual co-host Endora was someone that everyone recognised all too well.

“Thank you for that very kind introduction William,” said the pink clad toad-like woman in a breathy girlish voice. Her tone dropped a notch and hardened as she continued.

“I am afraid I have some very grave news from the Ministry this morning. I felt that given the nature of this dire circumstance, it was imperative that I myself be the one to impart the information in the spirit of Ministry openness and transparency...

“As you are no doubt aware, the DMLE and the Unspeakable Office have been investigating the events which occurred at Hogwarts shortly before the end of summer. What you may not know, is that the Ministry has also been investigating the recent death of one of Britain’s most esteemed Warlocks, Lucius Malfoy...”

“NO!” gasped O’Hannity with well-rehearsed sincerity. “Warlock Malfoy is dead? How dreadful...”

“Yes, it is a great loss to Wizarding Britain,” continued the Minister. “But his death was no accident - it was murder most foul. And the subsequent investigation revealed that it was inextricably linked to the events at Hogwarts. I cannot reveal everything due to the sensitive nature of the ongoing investigations, but I can say that the principal suspect is none other than the Potions Master of Hogwarts, Severus Snape...”

The well-coiffed O’Hannity gasped again and the Minister went on.

“The link became clear when it was discovered by Aurors loyal to the Ministry that the Headmaster of Hogwarts, Albus Dumbledore, was interfering with the investigation of Warlock Malfoy’s murder.

“As it turns out - shockingly - Head Auror Rufus Scrimgeour has been working for Albus Dumbledore all along, and has been sabotaging both the investigation of Lucius Malfoy’s murder, and the investigation into Headmaster Dumbledore’s long-running blood-feud with the misunderstood misanthrope we have all come to know as ‘You-Know-Who’...

“It became necessary to have the Unspeakable Office conduct an Independent Investigation to sort out all of the facts. Rufus Scrimgeour was placed under arrest late Thursday, and the Unspeakable Office has since determined that the former Head of the Auror Office was covering up Albus Dumbledore’s affiliation with notorious wand-thief, and muggleborn insurrectionist, Dick Turpentine.

“The evidence is now quite clear - Albus Dumbledore, long known for his disregard for our most noble and ancient wizarding traditions and genetic heritage, has for many years been surreptitiously plotting the overthrow of the Ministry and illegally training muggles how to use wands in order to raise his own army.

“This very morning, Albus Dumbledore fled Hogwarts when Aurors loyal to the Ministry, and Unspeakables, were dispatched to apprehend him... There are many questions which remain of course - while the Violent Revolutionary Albus Dumbledore and his minion Severus Snape remain at large - and a purge is being conducted within the Ministry to uproot any more of Dumbledore’s spies.

“Meanwhile, the investigation continues at Hogwarts, this time with the full participation of the Unspeakable Office. The Inquisitors previously dispatched have agreed to assume the role of Headmaster and Headmistress until such a time as Hogwarts has been thoroughly cleansed of Albus Dumbledore’s contamination...”

William O’Hannity had been silent, rapt with attention until the Minister appeared to have concluded her statement. He took the opportunity to press for more information.

“Well, that is some shocking news indeed Minister Umbridge! Is there anything more that you can tell us?”

“I am afraid that is all I can impart at this time William,” the Minister responded, with a return to her initial saccharine tones. “When Albus Dumbledore is in the Ministry’s custody, and more of his agents have been apprehended, then we shall perhaps have a better understanding of how far this conspiracy reaches... The Ministry shall of course update the public regularly as more information becomes available.”

Silence settled over the Great Hall. Nothing could be heard except for a few nervous coughs and a few sniggers from the Slytherin table. Students glanced at each other anxiously and peered up at the enormous Wiz-Vision screen which now displayed two new educational decrees:

Educational Decree #26
Inquisitors Alecto Carrow and Amycus Carrow have accepted the position of Headmaster and Headmistress of Hogwarts and are to be accorded the full authority and all the rights and privileges thereof.


Educational Decree #27
Students who wish to become members of the Inquisitorial Squad are to make themselves known to the new Heads of Hogwarts, and will be chosen according to a strict set of standards.
The Inquisitorial Squad are to be accorded full authority as deputies of the new Headmaster and Headmistress. The inquiries and commands of said deputies are to be obeyed as if issued by the Headmaster or Headmistress themselves.

The Potters picked at their food. Harry tried to eat a piece of bacon, but nobody could really eat breakfast after that. They waited until the rest of the students had finished and joined the throng departing the Great Hall and heading for classes. Something caught Parvati’s eye.
“Do you see the badge on Malfoy’s robes? looks like they’ve already picked out members of the Inquisitorial Squads!” Parvati muttered furiously.

“Maybe we should just leave right now - before anything happens,” Harry said worriedly.

Hermione bit her lip and nodded. “I think that’s a good idea Harry...”

“We can’t just yet...” Dora pointed at the Unspeakables patrolling the corridors, “...we’re bein’ watched to make sure we go to class. We’ll ‘ave to wait till lunchtime. We’ll make a break for it then.”

“I think ees best that we both go wiz you to classes,” Fleur remarked. “I know Dora ees supposed to be seventh year student now, but per’aps she could be ‘teacher’s assistant’ again until we leave.”

“Er... yeah! Alright...” Harry agreed. “We don’t have Alecto Carrow’s class today, so that should work.”

“Luna, maybe you should skip classes,” said Hermione. “Wait for us in the Unaffiliated Common Room. We’ll get there as soon as we can.”

“Okay Hermione,” said Luna. “I’ll slip away right now then...” Luna gave Ginny a hug goodbye before merging into the crowd heading for classes on the floor on which the Unaffiliated corridor was located. Ginny sadly watched Luna go, then headed towards the group of fourth year Gryffindors headed for Charms.

Harry sighed as he and the rest made their way to Potions. This wasn’t good. Even with Dora and Fleur tagging along, he was loathe to go to Potions and risk being trapped in the dungeons. He had considered the possibility that the Carrows might bring in Enforcers from the Ministry, but there seemed to be far more than he had anticipated.

There was little choice though for the time being, so to Potions they all went. Harry was extremely thankful that the Professors were already prepared to acknowledge Fleur and Dora as ‘Teacher’s Assistants.’

“I’ve been thinking about that Dick Turpentine business Harry,” Hermione whispered as they trotted through the stone corridors. “I don’t think it can be real... it’s all too convenient.”

“I was thinking the same thing,” Harry replied quietly. “It doesn’t make any sense. Everyone knows you have to already have magic to use a wand... it’s just rubbish!”

“Of course! But that’s not what I meant Harry. The name Dick Turpentine - doesn’t it ring a bell?”

Harry shook his head. “I dunno... should it?”

“It sounds to me like a takeoff based on Dick Turpin,” said Hermione. “He was a Muggle Highwayman in the 18th century who was hung as a horse-thief. But people made up stories, and even a television show about him later which made him out to be more of a rebel against the government... more or less a Robin Hood figure. But what if...”

“...the Minister got the idea from the Muggle PM!” Harry gasped as a chill ran down his spine. “You’re right Hermione - that has to be it. Umbridge concocted the whole story as an excuse to go after Dumbledore and round up Muggleborns...”

“...and to go after you Harry. She’s been making you out to be a sort of dangerous rebel on the side of muggleborn wizards all along!”

~o0o~

Potions seemed to go relatively smoothly. Professor Slughorn had accepted Dora and Fleur as his “Teacher’s Assistants” without any question, and Draco, Crabbe and Goyle were nowhere to be seen. Harry presumed that they had been given the freedom to do whatever they liked as members of the Inquisitorial Squad.

Harry knew the illusion of relative safety wouldn’t last long though, and he refused to let it lull him into a false sense of security. If Malfoy was going to try anything, he suspected it would be here in the dungeons.

When class let out, Harry’s worst fears were realised when he heard Draco Malfoy laughing. He peered down the passage, and spotted Malfoy dragging a screaming Ginny Weasley deeper into the tunnels.

“Bloody Fucking Hell!” Harry swore. He grabbed Hermione’s arm and they both took off running after Malfoy and Ginny.

The rest of the Unaffiliated and Parvati chased after the Potters. Dora had fallen a bit behind as she had stopped to pick up everyone’s bookbags which they had dropped when they took pursuit.

“This is probably a trap!” gasped Harry as they turned down the passageway they had last seen Malfoy and Ginny go down.

“Of course it is...” Hermione wheezed, her bushy hair billowing behind her as they ran. “But we can’t do nothing... Ginny’s our friend! This way...” Hermione pointed down a dungeon corridor at the next four-way junction.

Parvati and Jennifer caught up to the Potters first, and spells hit the four of them from out of the shadows. Two Unspeakables emerged from the darkness pointing their wands at Fleur and Daphne.

Daphne and Fleur had their own wands at the ready, but Amycus Carrow stepped out from one of the tunnels behind them.

“Just hold it right there girls...” Headmaster Carrow growled. “Just put your wands away nice and easy like - and there won’t be any more trouble for you. It’s the Potters we want... but I’m perfectly willing to have one of these here gentlemen kill one o’ your other little friends right now if you don’t behave - at the moment, they’re all just in a Bewitched Sleep.”

Fleur and Daphne glared at the new headmaster, and weighed the risks. They spotted Crabbe and Goyle approaching with Malfoy and realised that they were outnumbered three to one.

“What about Ginny Weasley?” Daphne asked the new Headmaster bluntly. “What have you done with her? The Senior Undersecretary won't be very pleased if you hurt his sister.”

“Heh! Just another Slytherin polyjuiced to look like her,” Headmaster Carrow snorted mirthfully. “Anyway, that’s quite enough blabbing outta you.”

The new headmaster pointed his fingers at the Unspeakables. “You go keep an eye out - make sure no more students come down this way. Me and the lads here will take care of this lot.”

The Unspeakables nodded and jogged down the passageway the Unaffiliated had just come through. Draco chortled at the slumbering captives as Headmaster Carrow, Crabbe, and Goyle, placed the Potters, Parvati, and Jennifer in a warded dungeon cell, relieving them of their wands.

“Nice work Draco...” Headmaster Carrow patted Malfoy on the shoulder. “You led them right into our trap. Be here tomorrow morning at 9 sharp... we’ll wake ‘em and you can assist with the interrogation.”

“What about them?” asked Draco, jerking his head towards Daphne and Fleur. “And the other girl... the one who gave us the slip!”

“Heh! The Minister says hands-off those two...” the new headmaster smirked, noticing Draco’s leering features. “The Minister doesn’t want a bloody war with France, and if Warlock Greengrass hears that you’ve been messing with his other daughter again, he could still cause us a bit of trouble in the Wizengamot - so don’ even think about it.”

Draco’s face fell; he’d hoped to have another crack at Daphne, and the French girl was extremely alluring. Amycus Carrow shook his head and chuckled, understanding all too well the needs of a teenage Slytherin.

“Don’t worry about the other one, whoever she is - another Mudblood we think. We’re still lookin' into her records. But she won’t be able to hide forever - you and your mates can have a go at her if you find her... or any other Mudbloods in Hogwarts, or the bints in Gryffindor - there’s not a one from any family anyone important cares about in Gryffindor.”

Draco’s features perked up again at that piece of good news.

“Anyway, I think they’ll all behave if they don’t want one of their friends to wake up dead tomorrow!” snorted the new headmaster. He turned to address Fleur and Daphne.

“And don’t bother alerting any staff-members lassies. They’re all being watched by Unspeakables. I’m not joking about killing your other little friends. Except for the Potters, they’re all expendable. You got me girls?” Amycus concluded with a bark.

Daphne and Fleur glanced at each other swallowing anxiously, then nodded and turned to leave, passing an Unspeakable who had just entered the dungeon corridor. Headmaster Carrow spotted the Unspeakable and handed him the wands he had collected from those in the cell.

“Here, go lock these up in the staff-room Safe. We’ll be examining them tomorrow.”

The Unspeakable looked a bit surprised, but he nodded and turned back the way he had come, passing another Unspeakable who had arrived to take the first watch over the prisoners.

“Right then,” Headmaster Carrow addressed Draco again. “Why don’t you and your mates go have some fun - you’ve earned it.”

~o0o~

“Oi... Ginny,” yelled Dean Thomas when he saw her at lunch. “How’d you get away from Malfoy.”

“What?”

“I saw him drag you into the dungeons earlier...” said Dean, frowning in puzzlement. “After Potions... Neville and Ron and Seamus had already left. Lavender and I were the last ones in the corridor. Harry and Hermione and Parvati and some of the others ran to save you. Lavender and I would’ve helped, but a couple of those Fascist Ministry blokes forced us away...”

“I was never in the dungeons this morning... I don’t know what you’re talking about.” The blood from Ginny’s face drained when the implications of Dean’s bizarre pronouncement suddenly hit her.

“Wait, Harry and the others ran after me? Where are they then?” Ginny yelled. “Why aren’t you doing something about it?”

“I dunno really... I suppose they’re still in the dungeons.” Dean looked crestfallen. “I’m not sure what to do though. These bloody Unspeakables seem to be everywhere.”

“Gah!” Ginny exploded as the blood rushed back into her face. “Fred and George will know what to do, have you seen them? What about Neville? Does anyone know what’s happening?”

“I’m not sure really,” Dean shrank back; he’d never seen Ginny this angry. “I told Neville the first moment I got a chance just a few minutes ago, and then he started talking to the Twins but they all took off. They might have gone back to the Common Room...”

The last thing Dean saw was the back of Ginny’s red hair as she bolted.

Ginny ran back to Gryffindor Tower to find Neville and the Twins to see if anyone knew what was going on. As she flew by an open classroom door, strong hands grabbed her arms from behind and dragged her inside. Her wand slipped from her hand and clattered to the floor as someone else slammed the door shut.

She struggled furiously, and glared at McLaggen, assuming correctly that Towler was the one holding her arms.

“You bastards... Let me go!” Ginny shrieked, aiming a kick between McLaggen’s legs which missed its mark. McLaggen slapped her across the face and grabbed her jaw.

“Or what, you little slag?” McLaggen jutted his chin and pointed at the Inquisitorial Squad badge on his robes, towering over Ginny. Her eyes widened in alarm. “Malfoy isn’t the only one with one of these. Scream all you like, there’s a silencing charm on the room. No Dumbledore - and no Potters to protect you now...

“You’re a little minx in heat, aren’t you?” McLaggen leered as he let go of Ginny’s jaw. “You and your loony little girlfriend - going at it like bunnies all the time. Not surprising you two gave up on blokes really. You both had such pathetic excuses for boyfriends! That Fairy Longbottom and Thomas the Impotent? Really? ... I reckon you just needed a real man to show you a good time...”

Ginny’s heart thudded against the wall of her chest when Cormac began to unbuckle his belt and Towler sniffed her hair. McLaggen and Towler were both much bigger than her, but Ginny put that out of her head as she tried to control her breathing and remember her training.

She tightened her jaw and neck muscles as she forced herself to watch McLaggen unzip his trousers and expose himself, waiting for him to get closer again. When his hand slipped between her thighs and pushed up her skirt, Ginny reacted.

Forcefully, Ginny drove her knee into McLaggen’s groin and slammed the back of her head into Towler’s nose, feeling it shatter against her skull.

Towler stumbled backwards with a scream, releasing Ginny. McLaggen doubled over, groaning. Ginny silently summoned her wand from near the classroom door and circled to McLaggen’s side as he let go of his aching manhood and stood upright.

“You fucking bint!” he snarled, fumbling in his robes for his wand, not realising that Ginny had already retrieved hers. “I’m going to make you regret that...”

“No, I don’t think you will,” Ginny said evenly as she slashed her wand.

It took McLaggen a moment to realise what had just happened, then he peered in horror at the pallid fleshy thing lying on the floor as blood gushed from between his legs. Cormac fainted and collapsed.

Towler eyed Ginny in terror as he held one hand over his bloody face, pointing his wand at Ginny with his other shaking hand. Ginny glared ferociously at Towler and he dropped his wand, thinking better of it.

“You two really are a pair of idiots!” Ginny muttered as she picked up Towler’s wand and snapped it in two, surprising herself with her calmness. “Did you both really think I didn’t learn a few things from Harry and Hermione about how to deal with creeps like you? ... You might want to get McLaggen some help before he bleeds to death.”

Squeamishly, Ginny searched McLaggen until she found his wand and broke it in half as well. Then she turned on her heel and stalked out of the classroom without looking back. Ginny hadn’t got more than one corridor away before she started feeling really guilty. She wondered if she should go back or get help when she heard someone call her name. Ginny whirled around, wand in hand, and breathed a sigh of relief to see Daphne and Fleur.

“What’s going on?” Ginny anxiously inquired. “I heard that Malfoy’s gang captured you lot and turned you over to the Carrows. Where’s Harry and Hermione and the rest of you?”

“Zat can wait a moment...” Fleur worriedly began as she took Ginny’s arms and turned her around.

“There’s blood all over your shoulders and the back of your head...” Daphne squeaked.

“Don’t worry, it’s not mine,” Ginny grinned, but then she looked guilty again as the sight of all that blood reasserted itself in her mind. “That oaf McLaggen and his friend Towler... they just tried to rape me.”

Daphne clasped her hands to her mouth and squealed. Ginny ignored her and continued speaking with a horrified look on her face; the shock of what she had done began to set in and she began shivering violently.

“I... I s...suppose they thought that with Dumbledore and Harry out of the way... it was their ch...ch...chance, but I got them both g...good - they’re bleeding all over the place. I used the curse Harry taught us... I c...cut off McLaggen’s... er... thingy! But... but now I’m r...really worried. I d...don’t really want him to die...”

Ginny faltered when she saw the look on Fleur’s face. The older girl looked angrier than Ginny had ever seen her, and Daphne looked like she was about to throw up.

“Eet would serve ‘im right eef ‘e did,” Fleur fumed, her accent thickening with emotion. “But quick - to ze ‘ospital wing wiz you... you are not looking so good! Daphne... I am too angry to spik properly - call zomeone...”

Daphne reached into her robes for her mirror and called Professor McGonagall as the three of them ran to the infirmary. They burst through the hospital wing doors, startling Madam Pomfrey.

“Good heavens! Miss Weasley,” she gasped, “...there’s blood all over you!”

Ginny was too distraught to answer, and Fleur still too angry. Daphne told Madam Pomfrey what had happened while the nurse tipped a calming draught into the trembling girl’s mouth. McGonagall and Flitwick arrived moments later and locked the door behind them. Ginny, Fleur, and Daphne wondered where McLaggen and Towler were until Flitwick undid the Disillusionment and Levitation charms, lowering the two wounded and unconscious boys onto beds.

“Too many Unspeakables around,” Flitwick explained. “The less they know about this the better...”

“Am I in trouble?” Ginny wailed, still shaking. “I... I d...don’t really want McLaggen to d...die! It... it’s just... McLaggen already tried to rape me once before... last year on the Hogwarts grounds...”

Fleur gasped in horror.

“He what? ... But you never said anything...” Daphne was appalled - this was the first she’d heard of it. “Why didn’t you tell anyone before, Ginny?”

“I... I’m not s...sure really. I d...didn’t even tell Luna,” said Ginny, looking ashamed of herself. “McLaggen s...stopped when some other s...students walked by... and I ran away. And... and then he left me alone after Harry told him off for s...spying on me and Luna while we were snogging.”

“I j...just didn’t want him to have another chance to d...do it again...” Ginny sobbed

“Of course you’re not in trouble dear,” Madam Pomfrey replied as she poured another calming draught down Ginny’s throat.

“You did what you had to do to protect yourself,” McGonagall said hoarsely, looking as white as a ghost.

“I have managed to stem the bleeding,” Flitwick reported. “The boy will certainly live, so no worries in that regard. But if I’m not mistaken, Miss Weasley used Severus’s curse. We won’t be able to reattach McLaggen’s... er... part. He shall have to be removed to St Mungo’s for long-term recuperation.

“And I’ve already modified their memories. As far as either of them know, they got into a violent altercation with each other over a girl, and injured one another - Miss Weasley will not be implicated.”

“Very Good... that’s good then! Thank you Filius!” Professor McGonagall breathed a heavy sigh of relief, as did Ginny. “Perhaps you should stay in the hospital wing overnight Miss Weasley.”

“NO!” said Ginny fiercely. “I’m fine now. The calming draughts helped... I can deal with the rest. I just didn’t want McLaggen to die...”

“But dear, I must insist...” Madam Pomfrey began.

“I’ll get over it!” snapped Ginny. “My friends are more important right now! Draco and the Carrows... they’ve got Harry and Hermione and Parvati and Jen...”

“So it’s true? It’s not just rumours?” gasped Flitwick. Professor McGonagall raised her eyebrows at Daphne and Fleur who both nodded miserably.

“We’re not supposed to tell you,” said Daphne in a small voice. “They said they might kill Jennifer or Parvati if we make trouble, or if any of the Professors interfere.”

“But we must get zem out tonight...” Fleur said firmly. “Ze Carrows and that hideous Malfoy boy mean to torture and interrogate them tomorrow... ”

There was a loud knocking on the hospital wing door and everyone gave a start of fright.

“It’s me...” a voice called through the door, “...Dora. Are Daphne and Fleur in there?”

Madam Pomfrey let Dora in and locked the door again behind her.

“Oh thank goodness... you two are here! I’ve been lookin’ everywhere for you,” said Dora with obvious relief before glancing at everyone else. Her eyes popped when she saw Ginny on a hospital bed. “Ginny... you alright? What happened t’you?”

“Er...” Ginny wasn’t sure that she felt up to recounting things again. Daphne took it upon herself once more to explain Ginny’s predicament. Dora gaped in horror and spun around, finally noticing the two boys in beds on the other side of the ward.

“Bloody ‘ell!” she muttered, “It’s like a bloody epidemic! They must have some sorta rapist club here at Hogwarts.”

“I’m alright now,” said Ginny. “So what’s going on?”

“Right then, did Daphne and Fleur tell you lot what ‘appened?” asked Dora. They all nodded and Dora continued.

“Listen, I’ve got a plan to break ‘em outta the dungeon, and I know Harry and Hermione have already worked out an escape route. But you Professors will have to stay out of it if you want to stay at Hogwarts to try and protect the students without bein’ arrested.

“I’ve got this Filius, Minerva! I mean it... you can’t be involved! It’s too risky - for Parvati and Jennifer - and for you as well. I promise that my plan’ll work... The Carrows still don’t know ‘oo I really am yet - and they’re not gonna find out. I replicated an Unspeakable cloak and disguised myself...” Dora glanced at Daphne and Fleur. “That was me you two saw in the dungeons this morning...”

“Zat was you?” gasped Fleur.

“Then you have their wands?” Daphne’s eyes widened in excitement.

“Yeah... ” Dora grinned. “I couldn’t believe it when Mr Carrow ‘anded me their wands. That was a real stroke of luck! I thought we’d ‘ave to steal some and make do. I got all of our bags too, so we’re all ready to go...”

“Anyway, I can disguise myself as an Unspeakable again tonight, when it’s time for the next watch to keep an eye on the prisoners. You two should just wait for us with Luna in the Unaffiliated Corridor tonight. I know ‘ow to reverse the Bewitched Sleep charm and open the cell door, so that’s the easy bit really...”

“We’ll need a distraction when we get outta the dungeons to get past all the Unspeakables and get to the portraits - we only need to get to the first portrait nearest to the dungeon, and we don’t want anyone to notice us runnin’ through all the other paintings...”

“Fred and George,” said Ginny.

“Way ahead of you Love,” Dora retorted with a grin. “I’ve already notified them and Neville and some of our other friends of our timetable... There’s gonna be a riot tonight, right around curfew...”

~o0o~

Madam Pomfrey, McGonagall, and Professor Flitwick kept close watch as the four girls departed from the hospital wing, then closed the door behind them. Professor McGonagall pursed her lips worriedly and turned back to her colleagues when they were certain that the students were safely on their way.
“Are you certain we’re doing the right thing, Filius?” asked Madam Pomfrey. “Surely there is more we can do to help them...”

“I am not certain at all Poppy,” the Charms professor responded honestly, and not without some heat. “I am of half a mind to ignore Nymphadora’s warning and rescue the Potters and their friends at this very moment myself...”

“No!” said Professor McGonagall, sadly but firmly, much to her colleagues’ surprise. “No... Tonks was correct. The Potters and their friends must work this out for themselves. The best way for us to facilitate their escape from Hogwarts is to remain calm and stay out of their way...”

“But Minerva...” Pomfrey pleaded.

“I am sorry Poppy!” the true deputy headmistress of Hogwarts said sternly. “Dumbledore was quite clear in his instructions - we are not to give the Inquisitors any reason to arrest us...”

McGonagall held up her hand to quiet Flitwick, who looked as if he were about to strenuously object.

“Filius...” she continued, “I understand all too well your concerns - they are my own as well. But I must remind you that this is the moment we have been preparing the Potters and their friends for. They are all quite up to the task at hand, and Tonks’s plan to retrieve the Potters and Misses Patil and Watts is sound.

“That does not mean we are to do nothing at all. It simply means that our own task is to assist in misdirecting the focus of the Inquisitors when the time comes - even if that means allowing the Weasley Twins to wreak chaos in these hallowed halls - and to protect those remaining at Hogwarts by appearing as if we have nothing to do with the ensuing fracas... Have I made myself clear?”

“Yes... quite clear!” Professor Flitwick sighed, deflating.

~o0o~

A flurry of snow swirled through the gap in the front doors of the castle when they opened to provide entrance to Katie Bell and Alicia Spinnet who had just returned from the quidditch pitch. As the massive oak doors shut behind them, the pair of young witches dusted the snow from their anoraks. Despite the darkness and the inclement weather, they had decided to get in one last fly around the pitch after dinner.

“We’d better hurry,” said Alicia nervously, looking up at the clock. “It’s nearly curfew... Only fifteen minutes to spare.”

Katie nodded and followed Alicia up the marble staircase. They were nearly back to the Gryffindor Common Room they spied a First Year Ravenclaw girl who looked a bit lost.

“Are you alright?” asked Katie.

“I... I think I’m on the wrong floor,” the girl muttered, looking very embarrassed. “I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going.”

“We’ll take you to your tower,” said Alicia kindly. “You really shouldn’t be wandering around alone and there’s only a few minutes to go until curfew.”

“Oh... thank you very much!” the girl replied brightly. On their way to the Ravenclaw Tower, the girl started looking very antsy, like she had to pee. “Is there a bathroom around here? I really have to go...”

“Just around the corner,” Katie replied, glancing around anxiously. “We’ll all go in... but you’ll have to hurry.”

As they entered the girl’s lavatory Katie felt a prickling sensation on the back of her neck. She spun around and gasped when Draco Malfoy and Goyle clicked the door shut behind them, both chortling and pointing their wands at Katie and Alicia.

“This is the girl’s loo - get out!” Alicia snapped as she and Katie whipped out their wands. To their horror, a high pitched voice from behind yelled, “Expelliarmus,” and their wands went flying.

“What did you do that for?” Katie shouted at the Ravenclaw girl. Alicia tugged on Katie’s sleeve and pushed her behind herself protectively, eyeing Malfoy and Goyle, unable to fathom why the Ravenclaw had turned against them.

Draco leered at the disarmed Gryffindor girls. It was Katie Bell who really had it coming, but maybe he’d have a go at Alicia too. She was quite a looker as well. Draco supposed Goyle might also like a turn with the girls after he’d finished with them. But Draco was the boss and for now Goyle needed to keep watch.

“Petrificus Totalus,” Draco intoned, and Alicia toppled over, paralysed from head to toe. Katie felt a clutch of fear in her abdomen.

“We can go anywhere we want,” gloated Malfoy pointing to his Inquisitorial Squad badge. “You on the other hand are on the wrong floor and it’s almost curfew... I’d say that gives us the right to do a bit of inquisiting, wouldn’t you Goyle?”

Goyle gave Malfoy a blank look; Draco rolled his eyes.

“Actually, none of that really matters,” Draco snorted as he pulled off his robe and blazer, revealing his white shirt and his silver and green tie. “Now that the Carrows are in charge, they said I can do whatever I want to you...”

“NO!” screamed Katie, hitting Draco as he tore at her clothes. “You disgusting pig... let go of me!”

Goyle grabbed Katie’s arms and she kicked him in the shin, eliciting a grunt of pain. The door of the bathroom suddenly flew open with a loud bang, startling everyone inside.

Draco seized Katie and spun around holding her in front of himself, his wand-tip digging under her chin. His eyes widened with surprise to see Ginny Weasley, Fleur Delacour, and Daphne Greengrass. Draco glanced fearfully at Goyle when Fleur locked the door and cast a silencing charm on it.

“What the hell? How did you...?” Draco sputtered.

“We saw you following Katie and Alicia and the Ravenclaw girl... so we followed you,” Ginny replied, giving Malfoy a look which promised danger.

“Oi... I am a senior member of the Inquisitorial Squad!” Draco barked in the most pompous voice he could muster. “When the Minister hears about this, you’ll all be sorry...”

“Oh, Shut-up!” snapped Fleur; her crystal-blue eyes flaring with anger. “You are mos’ répugnant...”

“Let go of Katie!” said Daphne frostily, her wand pointed squarely between Draco’s eyes. “NOW!”

Draco had a really bad feeling about this. Potter’s girlfriends could have disarmed him and Goyle when they entered, but had chosen not to. He glanced at the locked door and swallowed anxiously - clearly they didn’t intend to let him leave.

To hell with this and the political ramifications of fighting with Delacour and Greengrass... his life was clearly on the line. If they wanted a fight, he’d show them exactly what he was capable of now. He was done with the Greengrass Bitch! Draco yanked his wand away from Katie’s neck and aimed it at Daphne.

“AVADA KEDAVRA!” Draco roared. A bolt of green lightning struck the wall, shattering tiles as Daphne dodged and rolled, slashing her wand.

Draco’s one good hand separated from his wrist followed by a crimson spray which splattered against a bathroom mirror, dripping into one of the sinks. He screamed in terror, releasing Katie Bell from the grasp of his prosthetic hand.

Ginny was in a blazing rage, and all she could see was red... First McLaggen and Towler, and now this. She slashed her wand when she saw Katie dive for a bathroom stall and a long scarlet rip tore across Draco’s chest. A bloom of red spread across his white shirt as a piece of his tie fluttered to the bathroom floor.

Time seemed to slow as the memories flashed through Daphne’s mind: humiliating visions of Lucius Malfoy trying to buy her for Draco over the years, each time raising his offer, only to be rebuffed time and again by her father - the degrading moment that Draco had forced a kiss on Daphne and put his hand under her skirt - the day he’d put her sister Astoria in St Mungo’s - and now Katie Bell in a Hogwarts lavatory...

...not to mention that the bastard had just tried to kill her. Daphne slashed her own wand at Draco again, and a gaping wound opened in his neck. Rivulets of blood streamed down his front, painting red whatever white was left of his shirt.

Goyle and the Ravenclaw girl both snapped out of their stupor and yelled “Diffindo,” hoping to hit one of the newcomers with their own cutting spells. But Ginny, Fleur, and Daphne were already in motion and retaliating.

Still confused by the First Year Ravenclaw girl’s attack, thinking that she had perhaps been imperiused, Fleur dropped her with a stunning spell.

Ginny rolled out of the way of Goyle’s spell and whipped her wand at one of Goyle’s legs. Goyle crumpled to the tiled bathroom floor shrieking in agony, leaving half his leg still standing. As a crimson puddle spread across the tiles below his knee, the foot and calf he’d left behind slowly toppled over.

Ginny and Fleur helped Katie and Alicia to their feet while Daphne saw to the groaning Ravenclaw girl who was just coming around from the stunning spell.

“You’re not really a Ravenclaw... are you!?” said Daphne, her voice brittle and icy. The terrified girl shook her head and burst into tears.

“It was all Malfoy’s idea...” the girl sobbed loudly. “He m...made me take polyjuice potion - I’m really Crabbe. Please... don’t kill me... don’t kill me.”

“You just keep your fat little mouth shut for now then, and we’ll take you to the hospital wing,” said Daphne, giving the polyjuiced Crabbe-girl a little shove. The fake Ravenclaw girl nodded miserably.

The girls heard a gurgling sound. They turned to peer at Draco Malfoy as his last breath escaped through the bloody foaming gash across his neck. Alicia clapped a hand to her mouth and turned green, trying valiantly to control her stomach. Katie looked away and promptly vomited on the floor, heaving several times.

~o0o~

Madam Pomfrey watched Daphne, Fleur, and Ginny depart from the infirmary for a second time in one day as she dosed Katie Bell, Alicia Spinnet, and the still polyjuiced Vincent Crabbe with calming draughts. Dutifully and sadly, she notified Professors McGonagall and Flitwick about the Slytherins bleeding out in the girls lavatory near Ravenclaw Tower, mentioning that one was already deceased.

Several minutes later the curfew bell struck. Pomfrey heard explosions as fireworks began to erupt throughout the castle and she knew that the Potters and their friends were making their escape.

~o0o~

“Oh, thank goodness you’re alright!” said Luna breathlessly as she flung herself on Ginny. “I’ve been so worried about you after what happened to you earlier today. What happened now? ... Why are you all so late?”

“I’m fine!” Ginny beamed, trying very hard not to show how rattled she still felt. “Really... I’m okay Luna. I don’t really have time to tell you right now. I’ve got to get back out there and you need to be ready to go as soon as Dora returns with Harry and Hermione and the others. Fleur and Daphne will fill you in...”

Everyone nearly jumped out of their skins when they heard a loud boom go off on the other side of the wall and the Unafilliated Corridor shook. Daphne squeaked and was beginning to shake, not with fright, but rather from the shock which just now starting to set in; the strange icy calmness which had come over her during the battle with Malfoy was gone.

“The fireworks...” said Fleur who was feeling highly agitated, the adrenaline from the fight with Malfoy and his goons still pumping through her veins. “Dora will be here soon...”

Ginny planted a big wet kiss on Luna’s lips and hugged her one last time, a tear trickling down one cheek. “Bye Luna! I’ll miss you loads... good luck.”

“I love you Ginny,” said Luna, giving her girlfriend one final kiss.

Ginny turned back towards the copy of the portrait of Aphrodite which sat on the inner wall at the end of the Unaffiliated Corridor. She gave Aphrodite’s painted lips a kiss and stepped into the frame, emerging from the copy of the portrait on the other side of the stone wall.

Luna desperately wanted to ask Daphne and Fleur what had happened, but they both looked like they were still too freaked out to really talk about it. She sighed, supposing she would just have to wait a bit for more information.

~o0o~

“Oh... yes... Oh... that feels good, Amycus... harder...” Alecto moaned blissfully as the bed rocked beneath them. She suddenly realised that it wasn’t just the bed - the entire chamber was trembling.

“Bloody Hell! What was that?” Amycus Carrow leapt off his sister when he heard the sound of explosions.

Alecto groaned at the poor timing - she had been so close to release. But as she watched her brother pull his clothes back on, she knew she would have to follow suit. Hurriedly the Carrow siblings dressed and dashed from their quarters into the castle, only to be bowled over by a horde of shrieking students.

Pandemonium had taken Hogwarts by storm! Panicked students were pouring out from their common rooms and into the hallways screaming. The Carrows scrambled to their feet only to be chased down the ancient stone hallway by a blazing dragon made entirely of fireworks. They emerged onto a landing in the Hall of moving staircases where they were swamped by a surge of frightened pupils.

Red and green pinwheels, purple rockets, silver comets, and golden shooting stars detonated all around them as acrid smoke filled the corridors of the castle. Roman Candles hopped around of their own accord shooting up sparks and great balls of fire, and silvery-red Sparklers flew around writing swear words in the air.

Dozens of Unspeakables ran around madly, trying unsuccessfully to corral the students and contain the fireworks. But the Vanishing Spells and Counter-spells only seemed to cause the fireworks to multiply and grow larger.

The Carrows fought their way down two flights of marble stairs to reach the ground floor. They were suddenly and violently shoved aside by two burly Unspeakables, knocking them both off their feet.

Amycus Carrow was just about to hex the Unspeakables when a large crystal Chandelier came crashing down, just barely missing them and shattering on the floor. The new headmaster realised that the Unspeakables had just saved their lives.

The Carrows clambered to their feet and looked up to see what had happened, only to be forced to duck by two fast moving blurs bearing down on them.

“Bye bye Losers!” someone yelled as a whoosh of wind swept by the faces of the Carrows.

“Send our love to the Minister...” shouted another.

The Carrows gaped at the two red-headed students swooping through the castle on their brooms. The front doors burst open letting in a bitter blast of wind and snow. As the Carrows looked on in shock and dismay, the Weasley Twins soared into the night sky followed by a flock of pupils on broomsticks.

Before they realised what was happening, Amycus and Alecto were once again thrown to the floor by their bodyguards, this time saved from being crushed by a statue of Paracelsus which had just been knocked off the third floor veranda. The Carrows both heard cackling and dizzily looked up through the haze of smoke as smouldering sparks continued to rain down upon them.

“LOOK OUT BELOW!” bellowed Peeves the Poltergeist as he bounced like a speedy ping pong ball from one wall to the other, “Sorry! Was I supposed to say that first?” he chortled before flying up into the rafters at the very top of the castle.

Suddenly it struck them - the Carrows shared a look and their faces fell in horror. The Potters!

The newly crowned Headmaster and Headmistress of Hogwarts hurried through the chaos erupting all around them and scuttled down into the dungeons. But by the time they arrived it was too late; several Unspeakables lay unconscious on the floor by the empty cell which had held the Potters and two of their little friends.

~o0o~

Hermione was the first to jump out of Phineas Nigellus’s portrait into the library at Number Twelve, gasping breathlessly as she stumbled and collapsed on a sofa. Parvati leapt down behind her, just as dazed and out of breath.

Phineas grumbled as the other members of the Potter fan-club jostled past him and Harry guided them through the frame one by one. Finally, after Harry was sure everyone else was out, he gave Phineas an apologetic look and heaved himself out of the portrait into Number Twelve. Harry turned around and muttered the spell to close the Portal Charm behind them.

“Sorry about that Headmaster Black....” Harry said sincerely, “Emergency Exit! Thanks for your patience!”

“Yes... yes, never mind that,” moaned the put-upon portrait of Sirius’s Ancestor. “Patience isn’t really my strong suit... I made a promise to Dumbledore!”

“Thanks for rescuing us Dora!” Parvati hugged the older girl before flinging herself on a comfy chair.

“I hope everyone back at Hogwarts is alright,” said Luna.

“Is Draco Malfoy really dead?” Jennifer asked Daphne.

Daphne nodded awkwardly as tears rolled down her clammy pale cheeks, feeling ashamed of herself and trembling violently. Her knees began to wobble and Fleur caught her before she collapsed.

“Ees a fitting end to a very wicked young man,” Fleur said adamantly, laying Daphne down on one of the other sofas in the library. “Zat Malfoy... ‘e violated you, ‘e hurt your seester, he tried to rape Katie, ‘e tried to kill you, and he was going to ‘elp ze Carrows torture our friends - you did what you ‘ad to do Daphne.”

“Bloody well right you did!” Dora agreed as she rummaged through her bag. “Here, quick, drink both of these Daphne... every drop! You’re going into shock...”

“But... but it was so awful...” sobbed Daphne, holding the vials of calming draught without really registering what Dora had just given her. “All the b...blood... and I did it - I stood there and w...watched him die... that doesn’t seem right...”

“You were not ze only one Daphne! Ginny... she also ‘elped put zat fiend where ‘e belongs... Malfoy, ‘e deserved every bit of it!”

“I know it feels wrong Daphne, but that’s because you’re a good person,” Hermione said earnestly. “I felt exactly the same way after I killed Wormtail...”

Jennifer plonked herself on the sofa next to Daphne and took the vials from her shaking hands, unstoppering them.

“Come on... down the hatch,” she said gently, holding one of the vials to Daphne’s lips. Daphne did as she was told, still more or less oblivious to what she was doing.

“And the other one,” said Jennifer. Daphne swallowed the second vial; her eyes finally began to glaze slightly and her body went slack as the tremors halted.

“It’s alright Daphne!” Jennifer murmured... “We all know what a kind, loving person you truly are! It’s alright to be glad that someone as cruel as Draco is dead. They can’t hurt anyone anymore.”

Jennifer pressed her lips to Daphne’s, stroking her golden hair with one hand and her cheek with the other. Daphne felt a warm flicker of light sparking inside her. As the spark grew and caught flame, spreading throughout her body, the ice that had flowed through her veins since Malfoy had returned to Hogwarts melted and she felt more at peace than she had for months.

Feeling a bit better, Daphne snuggled with Jennifer on one of the sofas by the fireplace in Number Twelve’s cozy Parlour, where they had all migrated to from the library. Feeling much better herself, Hermione settled on Harry’s lap as he tapped his mirror and contacted Professor McGonagall.

“Thank heavens you’re safe, Harry!” Minerva McGonagall exclaimed with relief when her face appeared in the mirror.

“Yeah... we all got out safely,” Harry responded, smiling at Professor McGonagall’s rare use of his first name. “What about everyone at Hogwarts? Did the Weasley Twins manage to get any muggleborn students out?”

“It is still quite chaotic here at the moment,” McGonagall replied as the sound of fireworks exploding could be heard in the background, “But, yes, a fair number of muggleborn students departed on brooms much to the dismay of the Carrows... But I will not know if all the muggleborn escaped until we do a head count tomorrow most likely.”

“Is Ginny alright?” asked Hermione anxiously.

“Yes... Miss Weasley is quite alright,” Minerva answered. “Young Mr Crabbe and Mr Goyle made it very clear to the Carrows that Miss Greengrass was the one most responsible for the death of Mr Malfoy in response to his failed attempt at employing a Killing Curse against her...

“The Carrows accepted the Slytherin boys’ explanation of events and seemed quite reluctant to force the issue any further... something about the Minister and Wizengamot politics.”

Luna’s ears perked, overhearing the conversation between the Potters and Professor McGonagall. She wriggled closer to the cushioned armchair in which the Potters were seated together, leaned over the armrest and peered into their mirror.

“Are you sure Ginny’s alright?” Luna asked, looking very concerned. “She’s been through rather a lot of upset today...”

“Yes dear,” Minerva replied, her features softening, “She is spending the night in the hospital wing recovering in Madam Pomfrey’s care. After I was certain that you had all left Hogwarts safely, I retrieved Miss Weasley from her dormitory and refused to take no for an answer this time. We’ve got her well looked after.

“In any case, now that I know that you have all arrived safely at the other end, I ought to be getting on with things here. Now, Mr Potter... until we hear from the headmaster - the real one that is - we should all try and keep our heads down...”

Between the look that Professor McGonagall was giving him, and her return to the use of his surname, Harry could tell that she meant business. He gave her a sheepish grin and nodded.

“Yeah... okay Professor! I’ll try to stay out of trouble for a bit,” Harry agreed. “I’m sure Hermione’ll keep me in line...”

“...Ow!” said Harry when Hermione swatted his shoulder and giggled. “See what I mean?” he chortled.

“Very good!” McGonagall allowed herself a little smile. “I’ll hold you to that Mrs Potter...”

“Yes... well I’ll do my best Professor McGonagall, but you know as well as I do that Harry isn’t one to sit on his laurels for very long,” Hermione retorted. “So let’s hope that Professor Dumbledore comes up with a plan soon.”

“Let us hope so indeed!” sighed McGonagall. “Goodnight Potters... Goodnight all!”

Harry realised it was getting late, and his stomach was grumbling. He glanced at the others, who all appeared to have settled down, the worst of the anxiety and stress of the escape from Hogwarts having ebbed.

“Anyone else hungry?” he asked. “Most of us haven’t really eaten today. I can have a look and see what’s in the pantry.”

Hermione blushed in embarrassment when her own tummy rumbled in response. Fleur and Daphne both nodded; they had been too anxious to eat much at dinner time.

“Oooh... ta Harry! Yes please!” Parvati’s eyes lit up. “I’m starving, but don’t put yourself out...”

“...we can help you make dinner if you’d like!” Luna offered.

“Right then,” Harry nodded. “I’m not sure what we’ve got - but it’ll be a good chance to practice our transfiguration if there's nothing interesting...”

Harry was interrupted by a loud cracking sound, and Jennifer squealed. Dora’s wand was instantly in her hand. Harry’s eyes nearly popped out of his head when he saw Dobby struggling with a very irate looking snowy owl, and an even angrier hissing, spitting, orange ball of fur.

Apparently Hedwig and Crookshanks didn’t think very much of traveling by apparition. The badly scratched but gleeful looking Dobby released Hedwig and Crookshanks. The owl flew to the top of a tall highly polished mahogany bookcase squawking furiously at him, and the cat simply turned his back on the House-Elf, wagging his tail crossly.

“Dobby is rescuing Mr and Mrs Potter’s owl and cat,” squeaked the delighted Dobby.

“Er... thank you very much Dobby!” said Harry, torn between bemusement and concern.

“Oh you poor thing,” Hermione dabbed at Dobby’s bleeding claw and peck marks with her hanky. “You really didn’t have to do that Dobby... ”

“...We visited the Owlery on Thursday and told Hedwig where to find us,” Harry continued.

“...and Ginny was going to look after Crookshanks,” Hermione concluded.

“But it be too dangerous for Master Harry and Mistress Hermione’s Hedwig to fly to London,” Dobby explained. “Dobby overhears new headmistress order Unspeakables to put tracking spell on Mr and Mrs Potter’s owl... They might be hurting her! And Mrs Potter is being sad without her cat.”

“Oh...” Harry shared a dark look with Hermione, then gave Hedwig a reproachful eye. Hedwig sheepishly turned her face away and hooted apologetically at Dobby. Hermione raised her eyebrows at her cat; Crookshanks looked a bit ashamed of himself and purred a bit at Dobby as if to say sorry.

“You absolutely did the right thing then!” said Harry. “Thanks again Dobby - you’re brilliant! You should probably go back to Hogwarts and get some sleep...”

“Oh, no sir,” said Dobby, “Dobby is making dinner for Master Harry and his Mistresses now...”

Dobby disappeared with another loud crack before Harry could refuse. The girls couldn’t help giggling at being called Harry’s “Mistresses” by Dobby. Harry groaned, rubbing his forehead and turning beet red, his face blazing with embarrassment. This was much worse than when Dobby had automatically assumed that Hermione was his girlfriend in second year - at least that had some basis in fact.

“I don’t think that’s really what Dobby meant, Harry,” Hermione giggled. “I think that when Dobby said ‘his’ Mistresses he was referring to himself and simply employing the term ‘Mistresses’ as the feminine form of ‘Masters.’ It's just the funny way Dobby speaks.”

“Oh! Thank God!” Harry breathed a heavy sigh of relief, causing everyone to laugh even harder. Moments later the sound of pots clanging and the smell of food cooking wafted up the stairs from the kitchen below...
Sign up to rate and review this story