Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Roses of the Valley

Chapter Nineteen: The Festival

by Giroro5X 0 reviews

The Festival of the Fireflies begins, the citizens of Bai-Jing excited to take part. Yet in the shadows of fireflies lie fearsome threats. Kazuki and his team have arrived in the valley.

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Other - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-09-20 - Updated: 2006-09-20 - 4415 words

0Unrated


Roses of the Valley

Chapter Nineteen: The Festival



As the sun retreated beyond the distant horizon, a vibrant energy began to course through Bai-Jing. Men called out to one another as they prepared the final arrangements of the festival, women laughing and helping one another to get ready as they gossiped lightly about what the night held in store for them. Children watched impatiently, excited and eager to take part in what they had been waiting months for.

Night descended upon the valley. The mountain cave that had once been Jung's home had a clear view of Bai-Jing, the village illuminated by seemingly infinite grains of light.

The streets were lined with lanterns, the soft orange light bathing the stands and displays as the people passed. Merchants called out loudly, performers welcoming any they could entertain.

The Festival of the Fireflies had begun.

The nobility of Bai-Jing had long ago established the tradition of marking any announcements of the slightest importance during either of the two yearly festivals. This practice was originally implemented for the sake of displaying one's wealth and status publicly, something Chin-Hwa had frowned upon since youth. Yet if any such trait were a factor in the announcements made during the festivals, the upper class of Bai-Jing would immediately claim otherwise.

Regardless of the potential nature of the announcements, citizens would still line the streets to witness that which was declared. Perhaps to have full knowledge of that which occurred within Bai-Jing, perhaps to judge those who felt themselves beyond evaluation. This particular night was no exception, people watching the street as that which they had already known through word of mouth was called out.

"Demon! Over here!" Xiu lifted a hand above the crowd, waving it slightly as she signaled towards him. Her bandana was gone, Min having combed her hair neatly and painfully. Her light robe was one to be admired, Wen Lan having lent it gladly to her.

Jung looked out over the crowd, approaching the hand. The Demon who had been seen in nothing beyond tattered war-torn pants now stood before them in a simple yet somewhat formal robe. It was evident that the mask had been washed, some level of dirt and soot stained into it beyond treatment.

"Almost thought you wouldn't make it," Xiu teased as she motioned out towards the nobles.

"He wouldn't miss this for the world," Min grinned as she stood beside the young servant. Min's attire was no different from any other day, the only difference being a headband with "tea house" written illegibly over it. "You drop the ingredients off to Sun?"

He nodded slowly, slightly uncomfortable in the robes. He could not honestly recall the last time he had worn anything remotely similar to the garment.

"You should be waiting for Seung," Min glanced up towards Xiu.

She blushed slightly, a look of slight agitation growing as she peered down towards the old woman. Her loyalty was to Wen Lan and the old man; she felt it proper to be present for her lady's introduction to Bai-Jing.

"The general is reviewing procedures with the soldiers," Jung took another step forward, looking out towards the nobles as he came to Xiu's defense.

She smirked, glancing towards the Demon. They were both victims of Min's overenthusiastic matchmaking. Though they were similar in this respect, neither would ever feel inclined to issue complaint over it.

"Where's the hog monkey?" Min demonstrated her disadvantage in height as she hopped up and down slightly in attempt to look out over the others.

"With lady Wen Lan, making sure she's safe. Same as always," Xiu smiled softly as she folded her arms.

Jung's focus turned quickly towards the distant nobles as Chin-Hwa stepped out towards the front of the crowd.

The green robes he typically wore had been replaced with elegant white, his flowing vest gold with a carefully knit trim. He stood with precise poise and grace, looking calm and satisfied as he stood before the crowd.

"Lord Chin-Hwa, of the Yang estate takes this opportunity to formally announce and make known his having chosen a successor," the relegate informed calmly.

Xiu's eyes took on a soft admiration, a warm smile coming to her as she watched her lady.

Jung's eyes remained fixed upon her from behind the mask, smiling gently. He understood her beauty well, admiring it each time he gazed upon her. Her appearance now was of no surprise to him, furthering his admiration of her features only slightly. He had always understood her to be so beautiful.

"I present to you; lady Wen Lan."

The young noble stood before them in carefully prepared white robes, her black hair trailing elegantly behind her and flowing carefully. She took her place beside the noble, bowing respectfully towards the people she had already come to admire.

The citizens of Bai-Jing smiled, most recognizing her from her activities in the tea house and market. Those who hadn't had heard of her through gossip about the Demon. Any rumors of her being of the Fire Nation had been defeated by the grace and kindness demonstrated in her interactions with them.

The nobles studied carefully, examining her for any possible flaws.

She looked out over the crowd with soft smile, her attention stopping upon Jung. Taking notice of his clothing, her smile grew. Her mind could perceive the image of his face, smiling towards her from behind the mask. This brought her to blush slightly, her joy unwavering.

Chin-Hwa bowed alongside her, the two stepping politely aside as the announcer continued.

"Well, that's the only one I really cared about," Min called out loudly, stretching her arms up over her head.

Xiu glanced down towards the old woman, embarrassed by her rudeness.

"You! When're you meeting with Seung?!" she was excited, folding her arms as she looked up curiously towards her recent apprentice.

The young servant blushed again, turning towards the crowd to see if anyone had heard her bold question. Leaning in quietly, she whispered coarsely. "I'm going to meet him after I walk with lady Wen Lan to the main street! Stop being so loud, old hag!"

"Alright, so you walk with her, then walk with Seung for a bit," Min stroked her chin, ignoring the insult. "Then, try to swing by the stand for the tea house. I'll have a kettle of your tea ready; you can serve it to him yourself!"

Blushing further, Xiu longed for a wooden spoon to throw at the old woman. "Fine fine, just stop talking about it so loudly!" She straightened her frame, adjusting a crease in her robe before hurrying off to meet with Wen Lan and the old man.

"Good, good!" Min brought her hands together, smiling gleefully. "You!" she pointed up towards the Demon.

He looked down at the old woman, her manner doing little to surprise him.

"Go check on Sun and make sure she hasn't run the stand into the ground! I'll be over in a bit!" She waved her hand in the direction of the festival's main street, clasping her hands together under her chin. "Then you can meet with Wen Lan and have a romantic festival walk!"

Jung's face grew warm beneath the mask, unsure as to how to respond. He turned towards the main street, walking calmly.

"Auntie Min!" a small voice rang out from behind her.

Min glanced over her shoulder, grinning as she recognized the voice's owner. Turning, she folded her arms.

"We're gonna win this year!" Jiao said defiantly from across the street. She wore a small headband with a crudely drawn flower.

"Not if you're standing around talking to me you won't," the old woman brought her hands up, tightening her headband confidently.

Realizing the truth in the statement, Jiao hurried quickly towards her mothers stand.

Min laughed, walking calmly along the street.



"There have been no reports of theft or incidents of vandalism," the soldier ended his report, bowing to the general.

"Thank you, please maintain careful watch" Seung bowed in return. He wore a green robe, lent to him by lord Chin-Hwa. Standing near the village entrance, he waited calmly for Xiu.

The soldier returned to his patrol, carefully observing his surroundings.

The general watched his surroundings, smiling as he observed the villagers enjoying themselves. He had always admired Bai-Jing, taking pride in the strength and resolve of its citizens.

"Such a lovely festival," a young man noted as he stood beside him.

Seung was startled slightly, unaware that someone had stepped up beside him. "Yes," he nodded politely.

"How happy these people are now, there's something tragic about it."

"How do you mean?" he glanced towards the stranger.

"They're so happy now. Yet every one will be dead by sunrise," Kazuki smiled pleasantly towards the general.



"Lovely, my dear," Chin-Hwa smiled as he congratulated his successor.

"I thank you for your kindness, lord Chin-Hwa," Wen Lan bowed politely, smiling.

The old noble nodded his head softly, the moment broken by a loud voice behind him.

"Hey, old man!" Gang walked towards them, Boots trailing behind merrily.

Chin-Hwa sighed, longing for the sensation of respect and veneration that had been shattered by the old guard.

"Is that it for the noble thing?" There was a look of discern about him, Gang uncomfortable in anything that was not armor. His robe was brown with red trim, as per his request.

Boots wore nothing beyond his harness.

"Yes, that is it for the 'noble thing,' as you put it," he nodded sagely.

"Lady Wen Lan, you were excellent! Best part of the whole thing!" the old guard complimented loudly, understanding his lady to be the best part of any function.

"Thank you Gang," she smiled and bowed politely, having always been grateful for his kind praise.

"So what now?" the old guard placed a hand on Boots' neck, petting the beast as it stepped beside him.

"Ah," a slight grin came over Chin-Hwa. He had been readying for this moment since the destruction of his garden. Stepping towards Gang, he began his smug explanation. "Since you saw fit to dismiss my guards and servants without consulting me, I charge you with the task of ensuring their safety and proper behavior, this evening."

He glanced towards the slayer of his garden, confident that the care of so many individuals at once would be more punishment than assignment.

"Alright," Gang shrugged, still petting boots.

"...Alright?"

"Yeah, sure. Gotta make sure they're actin' proper; should be fun," he grinned.

Chin-Hwa stared as the old guard walked away, sighing at the failure of his plot.

Wen Lan felt no surprise at Gang's reaction; he would enact any task assigned to him. Sensing her lord's dismay at the fact, she patted his arm reassuringly.

"Lady Wen Lan!" Xiu called cheerfully, hurrying towards her lady.

"Xiu!" the young noble embraced her friend quickly in greeting.

"You were great, so beautiful!" she complimented.

"It is thanks to your hard work," she bowed slightly, Xiu having been involved with all of the preparations.

"Hey old man," the young servant greeted Chin-Hwa in her typical fashion, her hands rising to her hips.

He sighed once again as he remembered the ancient days of respectful servants and guards who would do nothing to ravage his garden.

"Shall we make our way towards the festival's main grounds?" Wen Lan suggested.

"Excited to meet up with the Demon?" Xiu teased with a grin.

Blushing, the young noble countered quickly. "As excited as you are to meet with the general."

Chin-Hwa chuckled as the young servant blushed, having no retort prepared.

"Let us be off then," he smiled warmly, walking calmly in the direction of the main grounds.

The group continued down the street, the two girls discussing and admiring the various attractions as the old noble explained each happily.



"Who are you?" Seung stepped back, taking a stance quickly.

"Ah ah, none of that dear general," Kazuki grinned, glancing towards the village entrance. "Earthbending will only hasten the death of everyone here."

Seung narrowed his eyes, the statement inspiring slight confusion.

"Ha ha, such a cryptic statement, very unbecoming of me, I apologize," Kazuki bowed. "Allow me to explain. I have been asked by my dear teacher Kano to slaughter everyone here."

He clenched his teeth at the mention of the name, cursing himself for not having suspected as much.

"But my team is so small...Slaughtering an entire village on our own would take a full day, and is far too straightforward! So I chose to go with a more entertaining option," he stepped forward, stopping beside Seung as he explained more in a hushed tone.

The general glared forward, unable to disrupt the opportunity to gain more information on the situation.

"Do you have any idea how rich the land between here and the Fire Nation is with mercenaries? Men willing to throw their lives away for money, nothing more," he grinned at the simplicity.

"If I make any attempt to stop you, you signal the mercenaries to attack from hidden positions within the crowds," the general clenched his teeth tightly at the powerlessness the situation imposed upon him.

"Ah, so close, I thought you had it!" Kazuki laughed, patting Seung's shoulder. "If they attack from within the village, then the villagers can escape. I've lined them up on all sides of the valley to move in and decimate this quaint little village. Much more effective, I feel."

Seung gave no response, glaring forward.

"This way, my team will be given ample time to eliminate key threats," he smiled, taking a few steps forward to admire a juggler's performance.

The general stood motionless, his mind racing to establish a plan.



Jung walked along the street quietly, nodding towards villagers as they greeted him in passing. He had never been so close to the lights of the festival, having only ever seen them from a distance. There was a simple beauty to them, paled only by the enthusiasm and joy of the villagers as they enjoyed the festival.

Bai-Jing had intimidated him initially, finding it difficult to adjust to after having been alone among the mountains for so long. Surrounded by the lights of the festival, he shed the last sliver of uncertainty, admiring the beauty of the village and its denizens.

He watched as two children passed quickly, one pretending to be an earthbender as the other played the role of the firebender, laughing and running quickly. Turning his attention back towards the path ahead of him, he caught sight of a cloaked figure standing in a thin alley.

His eyes turned quickly back towards the alley, the figure large and grinning.

It turned, hurrying away.

His frame remain motionless as he pondered, resolving to investigate. He made silent promise to himself that no force would act to harm the people of Bai-Jing as they enjoyed the festival, hurrying down the alley.

Moments later he found himself standing amidst an opening within the residential area of the village, homes surrounding him on each side.

The figure stood at the center of the clearing, grinning wildly as his large frame twitched with excitement.

They stood directly across from one another, the joyful expression of the stranger greeted with the cold emotionless face of the mask. The lights of the festival could not penetrate the buildings surrounding them, the moonlight above providing soft illumination.

"I first heard about you three years ago," he explained as he took a step forward, revealing himself fully as he escaped the shadow's cover. He was as tall as the Demon, his features stern yet excited. His hair was mostly unkempt, tied back in unskilled fashion to resemble that of a Fire Nation citizen. A large hammer was equipped to his back, the cloak failing to conceal his Fire Nation armor.

Jung stood silently, the figure's appearance holding no effect over him. He had fought many of the exact description and even those who had surpassed it. Each had been defeated.

"I got excited," he laughed, shameful of such a childish reaction. "There was a real demon out there, a real one! A spirit of rage and malice! Of hatred!"

The statement was met with silence.

"Since then, I've wanted nothing more than to break you," his face took on a sadistic ferocity.

Silence.

"To split your skull open, tear your arms off," he chuckled.

Silence.

"To kill a demon. To prove that even something made of hatred cannot best me."

Jung gave no verbal response. He lifted his hands to the shoulders of the robe, unfolding the upper part so as to let it hang idly over his cloth belt. His upper body was bare with the exception of the two Earth Kingdom shields strapped to his back. He equipped each quietly. He had brought them along for the sake of remaining prepared.

"Ha ha, you really are a demon!" the spectacle was confirmation to him. "Always ready to fight!"

He stood before the stranger silently, his scars speaking loudly enough.

The figure tossed off the cloak, revealing a bare upper body free of marks. He grabbed the hammer, swinging it in a full circle before grasping it with both hands, pointing the head towards the Demon.

"I am Iwao," he grinned.



"Impressive!" Kazuki applauded along with the crowd as the juggler took his bow. He turned back towards the general, motioning towards the dispersing crowd. "General Seung, did you see that? The man juggled five swords! Swords! I must say, I've never seen such a spectacle before!"

Seung continued staring towards the village entrance.

"Hmm? Ah, please stop fretting, general. I assure you; you have no chance of victory here. Please just relax and allow my team to finish killing their targets. Then it will be a simple and painless matter of murdering you and the others."

The general's eyes glanced quickly to the side, catching view of a soldier making his patrol. Turning his attention back towards the entrance, he studied the ground.

"A puppet show? Delightful! I haven't seen one since I was a child," Kazuki explained, taking a step forward as the display caught his attention.

Seung's eyes went wide as it finally came to him.



It had taken the guard days to work up the courage to ask one of Chin-Hwa's servants to attend the festival with him.

With determination and encouragement, he had surpassed the nervous block holding him back. He had asked her, and much to his relief, she agreed.

She had spent the days leading up to the festival hoping that he would ask her; hoping that he would feel for her as she felt for him. Her body became a vessel of pure joy upon his request.

The two walked beside one another, exchanging occasional smiles and flushed cheeks.

He moved closer towards her as they walked, a hand suddenly shooting out from behind him and separating the two.

"Too close," Gang muttered.

The servant and guard continued their walk, both thinking threats and curses towards Gang as he hovered over them to ensure their proper behavior.

"Gang...Perhaps it would be best to check on the others?" the guard suggested hopefully.

"I agree," the servant said quickly, embarrassed by how fast the statement was issued.

"Got it covered," Gang stared forward with determination.

Somewhere in the distance, another young couple found themselves dismayed as a rhinoceros horn poked forward, separating them before snorting.

"Good sir, would you be so kind as to lend me your attention for a moment?"

"Hmm?" Gang looked over his shoulder towards the figure.

The couple took the opportunity to walk quickly and quietly away, attempting to make as much distance between themselves and the old guard as possible.

"I require aid with a particular task; I have heard of your tenacity and strength, and would appreciate your help," the old man answered calmly with smug expression.

"Right, let's go," Gang eyed him suspiciously. He watched as the old man led the way, impressed by how fat his body seemed to be underneath the cloak. Yet his face held no excess weight to it.

The two continued walking, stopping as they reached the entrance to Chin-Hwa's estate.

"I feel this will be an appropriate place," the old man looked up towards the estate.

"To fight?" Gang was already cracking his knuckles.

Startled by the old guard's accuracy, the old man turned slowly towards him. "I am found out."

"You brought me out of sight of the festival and out of earshot; you want a fight. Who're you here for?" he glared.

"I am impressed, Gang. All information I have been provided on you has painted you as remarkably stupid."

"I know fighting."

"I know that much to be true."

"Who sent you?"

"Come now," there was a look of agitation in his face. "For as long as you have lived, have you ever known someone to give such information freely?"

Gang smirked.

"We are both men of experience, Gang. I suggest that we not engage as such trivial activities as conversation, and trust in the form of communication we both know well."

The old guard took his stance.

"To the survivor goes the spoils," Hitoshi grinned smugly.

Giving no opportunity for hesitation, Gang rushed forward. With powerful step and extension of the fist, he unleashed a stream of fire into the unmoving chest of his opponent.

"I have but one regret in this fight," the old man admit as the cloak around him burned.

Gang maintained his stance, unimpressed.

"Experience robs us of the chance to be surprised," the large frame stepped out of the fading flames.

Hitoshi was a man of average build. Yet the armor he had donned was unconventionally large. The chest section made his body out to be twice its genuine width, the battle skirt fanning out over an ever wider area. The only visible parts were the arms and head, the armor concealing his body behind a seemingly impenetrable surface.

"I am Turtle Duck Hitoshi, of the Fire Nation."

"Don't care," Gang muttered, kicking forward quickly.



"Ah, I have never seen this particular attraction before," Chin-Hwa stroked his beard as he watched the spectacle.

A woman stood at the center of the crowd draped in circus robes, a white porcelain mask covering her face. Her black hair fell flat as she danced about, each hand holding a curved blade.

She dove forward quickly, spinning on one foot as the blades cut through the air sharply.

A man stood confidently as the mango atop his head was cut into discs, falling freely to the ground.

"Wow, she's good," Xiu complimented as they stopped to admire the display.

"And now, fine ladies and gentlemen of Bai-Jing, Shizu the Blade will demonstrate her precision and excellence by performing the very same feat you saw here on a lucky volunteer!" The man stepped forward with a broad grin, his hands offered to the sky as citizens shot their hands up excitedly.

The young servant raised her hand up with a confident smirk. "Sounds like fun."

Wen Lan smiled at her friend, impressed by her initiative.

"Ah, is that a lovely volunteer I spy?" the man grinned as he motioned a hand in the direction of the trio.

Xiu took a step forward as the man's voice rang out again.

"Yes, you there, the lovely in white!" He pointed clearly towards Wen Lan.

Her eyebrows rose up, realizing he had meant her.

Xiu stepped back, embarrassed.

"Ah, I didn't volunteer," the young noble said with slight confusion.

"Please step forward; I assure you that Shizu is unparalleled in her craft!"

"Go for it, my lady. It looks like fun," Xiu encouraged.

Chin-Hwa watched carefully, his eyes narrowing as he searched through his memories for recollection of anyone mentioning this particular display in the days leading up to the festival.

Wen Lan stepped to the center of the opening, the crowd cheering words of encouragement. As she approached the man he tied a cloth over her eyes, balancing a mango carefully atop her head.

She stood with a nervous smile, having never been involved in such an activity.

The old noble stroked his beard carefully, squinting as he studied the figures.

Shizu began twirling again, springing forward towards Wen Lan.

"So fast," Xiu's smile faded into a look of concern at the performer's speed.

Wen Lan stood motionless, awaiting the end of the performance.

The performer closed in, both blades pointing towards the throat.

As she passed, Chin-Hwa's eyes went wide at the sight of a small Fire Nation marking on the hilt.

"Wen Lan, Fire Nat-" he screamed out towards her desperately, forcing his way forward from the crowd.

The expression beneath the blindfold altered quickly from wonder to ferocity, the young noble ducking and swinging her leg out as the performer dodged. She tore the blindfold off, eyes narrowed towards the attacker.

"Oops," the man grinned.

Shizu landed on a foot, spinning to face Wen Lan. Crossing the blades over her chest, she leaned into a charging stance.

Wen Lan stood, readying herself for the attack.

The two rushed one another, the crowd lost in the confusion.



It happened quickly.

Seung thrust his foot into the ground, thrusting his palm forward as a pillar of stone stabbed up from the ground into Kazuki's back, launching him forward.

The firebender landed on his feet, glaring at the cheap shot.

"Line the other soldiers up around the village and get these people to safety!" Seung yelled out to the patrolling soldier as he watched his opponent land.

The soldier hurried quickly without delay, disappearing down the street as he called out to the others.

The general took another step forward, lifting both palms skyward as a sheet of earth shot up from the village entrance. He dodged back quickly as a wave of flame tore towards him.

Kazuki took a wide stance, glaring as he offered his palm skyward. A long bolt of fire rushed up into the night sky, signaling the attack on Bai-Jing.

Mercenaries on the valley outskirts grinned at the sight, each tightening their grip upon their weapon as they made their way forward.

Seung stood with intense concentration as he studied his opponent, his stance firm and ready.

Kazuki grinned, folding himself out into his stance.

The general motioned his arms quickly, stepping forward strongly.

The assassin took a wide step, his hands moving gracefully forward.
Sign up to rate and review this story