Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Roses of the Valley

Chapter Twenty-Three: Repairs

by Giroro5X 0 reviews

Sorry this chapter took so long to get out, guys. My buddy asked me to come to New Jersey to do Con Safety for MangaNext. Anyway; here it is! I hope you enjoy, and I'd appreciate any and all fe...

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Humor, Romance - Characters: Other - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-10-10 - Updated: 2006-10-10 - 5058 words

0Unrated


Chapter Twenty-Three: Repairs



"There are many fractures in it, but only the bottommost section has broken off." Wen Lan washed the cloth carefully over his chin, her eyes carrying the tender worry of stinging an open wound.

The young waterbender had treated both their wounds, insisting that he could easily repair any damage done to the warrior's face. Jung had politely refused the offer.

They sat in one of the guest quarters, the young noble understanding that he would not be comfortable revealing his face in public. There he could feel more at ease, permitting her to treat the apparent wound beneath the cracked mask.

"It has always been durable." He smiled gently as her finger traced his chin, inspecting to see if any of the dried blood had escaped her reach.

She blushed softly as she watched his mouth, the scene foreign to her. She had seen Jung without his mask in the past, cherished his smile and taken solace in it. Yet this was the first time that she had gazed upon it while he still had the mask on.

"I can see your smile," she rested the edge of her palm against his chin, smiling as she admired it.

Warmth grew beneath the mask. He brought his hands up slowly, untying the cloths that bound it to him. Setting it aside, he looked towards Wen Lan as her face took on a pained expression.

The boulder had opened the scar lining the bridge of his nose, its blood pressing against the mask to leave a thin red coat over his face. His expression was calm, evidence that the cut brought him no distress.

Wringing out the cloth, she drew closer as she touched it against his cheek. Her eyes focused attentively upon each feature as she cleaned it, making every effort not to touch against the open mark over the nose.

His cheeks flushed slightly, the shade indiscernible from the blood. He watched her eyes as she paid careful attention to the area nearest the cut.

There was some level of pride in completing the task, the young noble smiling as she glanced up. Her eyes locked upon his, her face growing red as she blushed.

The warrior smiled as his hand lifted, tracing it tenderly over her cheek.

Wen Lan rested against it, enjoying his touch as her hand glided softly over the back of his.

There was stillness between them, the room filled only with the sound of their heartbeats. Jung broke it as he leaned forward slowly, almost involuntarily.

She felt her heart pound within her chest as she drew closer, her eyes closing as her lips touched softly against his.

The two pressed together gently, embracing as they felt gentle pleasure in one another's touch.

The young noble withdrew her lips from his slowly, smiling as she brought her head to his chest. Resting against him, she delivered a joyous sigh.

His expression was one of indomitable joy, his arms wrapping around her carefully as he felt her hair trace over his skin.

"Lady Wen Lan!" Xiu slid the door open, seeing only the warrior's back.

"Xiu!" Her face grew almost scarlet as she sat up, peering out from over Jung's shoulder.

"Gang's out in the garden pouting, can't figure out why. Can you cheer him up?"

"O...Of course!" she stood quickly, bowing towards Xiu in gratitude for the information.

The young servant bowed politely, motioning to close the door. She paused, leaning her head back in.

"Almost forgot. Jung, the old man would like you to meet up with him."

He bowed his head slowly, facing away from her.

"Enjoy your make-out session," her eyebrows quirked up and down as she grinned, closing the door behind her.

"Xiu!" the young noble's face grew redder as she waved the cloth at her, hearing her laugh as she made her way down the hallway. Composing herself, she watched as Jung rose to his feet.

"I will go to meet with Chin-Hwa," he explained as he washed the blood off of the interior of the mask.

She smiled, nodding her head. "I will ensure that Gang is alright."

He tied the mask over his head carefully, stepping towards her. His arms draped over her shoulders, drawing her close as he held her.

The young noble embraced him gently, resting against him as she soaked in the moment. They walked alongside one another as they exited the guest room, making their way down the hallway.

She glanced up towards him, observing the tender smile the break in the mask had revealed. Blushing faintly, she smiled to herself as she walked beside the one she loved.



The citizens of Bai-Jing were jubilant at their victory over Kazuki's strike, their enthusiasm empowering them to repair and rebuild the sections of the village directly damaged by the fighting.

Gang had a different training in mind for the guards that day, dispatching them to aid in the repairs of the village.

The earthbenders moved carefully as they settled the evidence of Seung's earthbending against Kazuki back into the ground. The firebenders aided in more manual labor, helping to repair that which Jung had damaged in his battle against the Yu Yan archers.

The old guard sat at the edge of the garden, staring forward. There was a weight to his frame that conveyed sadness. The wind blew gently, guiding the contents of his left hand to twitch against his palm. His eye narrowed as he gripped it tighter, glaring down towards the remains of what had been his ponytail.

"Are you alright...?" Li Mei stepped towards him, having finished treating the wounds of the soldiers.

He turned to face her, forcing a grin as he nodded. "Fine!"

The girl walked towards him, kneeling as she looked out towards what had once been a tranquil garden.

"Was there a fight here also?!" her eyes went wide as she looked out over the scorch marks and shifts in the ground from earthbending.

"Nah," he chuckled. "That's from trainin'."

"Wow," she blinked as she continued surveying that which lay before them. It was easy to guess that the training had been intense. She turned towards him, catching sight of the ponytail as he mourned it.

"What happened...?" she looked up at him.

"That guy, Hitoshi. Cut it off while I was fighting 'im," the old guard grunted.

"Ah." It was all she could think to offer, Gang's untypical manner inspiring an awkward quiet.

"Was it..." she searched for words, preferring even forced conversation to the silence. "Important?"

"Nah," he tossed it over his shoulder, folding his arms. "Just old."

Wen Lan slowed to a stop as she neared the garden, her hands folded in front of her as she watched the exchange.

"How old was it?"

He delayed his response, the admission carrying the potential to reveal a softness he had blamed on old age.

"Started growing it when lady Wen Lan was born," he stared forward.

"Why is that?" It was true that Li Mei was young, but in all her experience she had never heard of one growing hair in celebration of a birth.

There was another pause before his explanation.

"I was concerned with making sure lord Gui's child was safe. Didn't have time to keep it trimmed, forgot about it for a bit. Then," the corner of his mouth lifted into a slight smile as he remembered. "When she was a baby, lady Wen Lan would tug at it and giggle. So I grew it out," he shrugged, hoping the maneuver would disguise the thought as trivial.

The young noble smiled softly as she recalled the memory, appreciating the sentiment.

"So it was important," Li Mei trailed off, embarrassed that she had questioned the matter so thoroughly.

"Maybe," he grunted.

"It still is," Wen Lan stepped out of the hallway towards her oldest friend and protector.

Slightly startled, he looked up towards her as Li Mei watched.

She knelt beside him, picking up the ponytail. She held it tenderly, smiling as she looked to the old guard.

"It was very sweet of you to have grown this, Gang. But while you mourn its loss, I cherish it. It is a product of your kindness, something I have always been grateful for."

He smiled slightly, the expression warming into his typical grin.

Li Mei admired her friend's ability to encourage, knowing the old guard would be more than inspired by such words.

"Thank you, lady Wen Lan." He bowed his head towards her reverently.

"Thank you," she returned the bow. "For your courage and strength."

"Alright then!" he exclaimed as he tore his hat off. "Let's start from scratch!" he yelled out as he lifted his hands to his head.

The two girls stared wide-eyed. Wen Lan lifted a hand in attempt to stop him, slight burn marks decorating his scalp as his singed hair fell to the ground. All that remained was his facial hair.

"Gang!" Li Mei yelled, staring at the burns.

"S'aright, I'll just get that waterbender kid to fix me up! Where is he?" He rose to his feet, making his way towards the entrance of the estate.

The two stared as he walked away, Li Mei sighing.

"He has regained his enthusiasm, at the very least," Wen Lan smiled as she watched her old friend walk away, glad that his spirit had been revitalized.

The girl laughed, realizing his actions to be standard for the old guard. She looked up towards her friend with a sly grin.

"Big sister Wen..."

"Hmm?"

"Now that Gang isn't around...Tell me all about him!"

"Gang?" she blinked, confused by the inquiry.

"No, silly! Your boyfriend!" Her eyes filled with an intense interest, wanting to know every possible detail.

The young noble's cheeks grew red, her eyes widening as she glanced aside. "Li Mei!"

"C'mon!" Li Mei grasped her hand, laughing. "Tell me everything!"

The two walked down the hallway, Wen Lan blushing and responding shyly as her young friend peppered her with questions.



The two old men sat across from one another, the Pai Sho board dividing them.

Chin-Hwa was a man gifted in rhetoric, his words capable of conveying great beauty, invoking sudden change or even defeating the most confident opponent. He possessed no skill in combat, no finesse with blade or body.

Bo had never found much use in speech. He had learned early in his career as a noble that using too many words is a considerable mark of ignorance. This notion had brought him to rely on them less and less, his actions and movements conveying anything he could hope to communicate.

In this respect the two were opposites, their advantages standing as barriers.

Yet the Pai Sho board between them cured this. Each move conveyed an alignment towards a particular strategy. Each strategy spoke volumes of their outlooks and preferences.

In the hands of a novice, the tiles would communicate nothing. Yet each held years of experience and understanding, both allowing them to evaluate one another completely.

Chin-Hwa smiled as Bo set down the lotus tile, understanding the implications of the move. The action implied a tactic of diversion, indicating that Bo was more inclined to disable an offense rather than forcefully attack it. The time he had taken to execute the move was proof of his willingness to intercept any advance only after it had proved a genuine threat.

Bo grinned, understanding Chin-Hwa's next move to convey that though his strategy had been seen through he would rather adapt and move to the side than take a single step back.

The two had already come to respect one another greatly.

It was the most boring spectacle of Xiu's life. She sat near the door, her thoughts screaming the inquiry of why old men were so fascinated by a bunch of tiles on a wooden board.

"Lord Chin-Hwa," Jung slid open the panel, stepping in carefully. "You summoned me?"

"Ah, Jung," he smiled as he nodded towards the warrior. "I am glad to see your wounds have healed."

"I thank you for your concern," he bowed.

"Please, sit down." He motioned a hand to the side of the Pai Sho board, his attention turning back towards the game.

He sat carefully, looking quietly over the game. The pieces were arranged in such a way that he could not understand either player's strategy.

"I thank you for coming to see me. You see, I had the good fortune of coming into possession of something of great value, recently," he began his explanation as he stroked his beard, studying the board carefully.

Jung turned his attention towards the old noble, paying attention.

"A small relic rumored to have belonged to Avatar Kyoshi."

Bo's gaze glanced up towards Chin-Hwa, impressed by the feat.

Xiu remained thoroughly bored, not really caring for the history of some antique.

"I feel that those of wealth have the terrible habit of purchasing something for the sole purpose of ownership, with no intention of using or appreciating the item in question. I acquired the relic for the sole purpose of guarding it from this fate."

The old firebender looked back down to the board, agreeing with the sentiment entirely.

"Xiu, would you be so kind as to bring me the item? It is in my bedroom, the wrapping is marked 'Kyoshi'." He bowed his head towards her politely as he requested the favor.

She stood quickly, more than willing to break free of the boredom that was the Pai Sho game, even if only temporarily.

"I intend to return the relic to its proper place, Kyoshi Island. There it will be appreciated and admired, rather than a decoration for some noble."

Jung nodded in understanding, respecting the notion.

"There are many I trust. But should rumor spread of the transport of this item, I fear there would be many who seek to seize it for personal gain. So I must enlist the aid of someone that I both trust and believe will be able to ward off any potential threat."

The warrior understood the direction of Chin-Hwa's thoughts, already considering the question to come.

"Would you be so kind as to see to the delivery of this item?"

He had not left the valley in years, and had even less incentive to do so after the attack on Bai-Jing. The counter to this thought was the validity of Chin-Hwa's argument; nothing deserved to be the decoration of pompous aristocrats, nor the crown jewel of a greedy merchant's selection.

There was also the desire to be near Wen Lan, something that had become even stronger within him as the two continued spending time together.

"Here," Xiu entered the room again, disappointed that she was returning to more of the Pai Sho game. She handed the relic to Chin-Hwa, taking her place near the door once again.

"My thanks," he nodded his head, unwrapping it carefully. Tenderly, he presented the item to both Bo and Jung.

It rested softly atop the cloth wrapping, its colors faded slightly from both time and sunlight. It was mainly wooden, thin cloth wrapped carefully around it.

The doll was simple, looking similar to the sort little girls carried with them in the village as they trod cautiously beside their parents. It was slightly tattered, revealing that it had encountered much in its travels.

Inscribed on the bottom of its foot was the name of a little girl who treasured it. The same little girl who would grow to ensure balance between the mortal and spirit world.

As he looked upon the doll Jung felt a sense of innocence emanating from it. A sort of purity that is meant to be guarded carefully, to be cherished for as long as is possible.

He continued looking it over, the sound of Jiao crying at her separation from her mother tracing over his memory.

It deserved to return to its home.

Jung nodded his head slowly in affirmation. He would ensure the relic's safety.

"I thank you for your aid in this," he nodded. "I will have supplies readied so that you may leave whenever you wish."

"Tomorrow," he answered. It would take time for Kano to receive word of Kazuki's defeat. If he chose to launch another assault on the valley, he would need further time to prepare. He would use this window of opportunity to fulfill the task, returning to Bai-Jing as quickly as possible to ensure its safety.

"Tomorrow, then." Chin-Hwa bowed his head respectfully towards the warrior, studying the board once again.

"Lord Chin-Hwa," a servant slid the panel leading to the hallway slowly, bowing as she interrupted the discussion.

"Yes?" he moved one of the tiles cautiously, looking towards her.

"You have a visitor, my lord. General Seung of the Earth Kingdom army."

Xiu blushed at the mention of the general's presence, eyes going wide as she froze in place.

"Ah," he bowed his head towards her. "My thanks. Please tell him I shall arrive shortly." He stood, bowing towards Jung and Bo. "Lord Bo, I hope you will excuse me from this game, I must attend to this business."

"Hmm." Bo rose, returning the bow with a pleasant smile. The opponent was challenging, the game in itself bringing him more fulfillment than the outcome.

Chin-Hwa slowed as he neared the hallway, his gaze falling down towards Xiu as he neared her. He slowed to a halt, grinning as an idea came to him.

"Xiu," he started, "I have the sudden suspicion that I will require your skillful aid in my conversation with the general tonight. I ask that you please join us." He grinned as he said it, fully aware of the reaction his words would incite.

She stared up at him with wide eyes, her blushing face tensing with hostile rage as she resisted the urge to punch the old man.

"Why of course, lord Chin-Hwa!" She nearly hissed each word, wanting to maintain civility in front of Lord Bo. She stood slowly, her body stiff with anger as she remained to his side.

"I am so fortunate, having someone such as you by my side." The old noble complimented her as he made his way towards the main hall.

Jung remained behind them, making his way towards the garden with the hope of finding Wen Lan.

The three entered the main hall, Seung kneeling politely as he awaited Chin-Hwa's arrival.

"General Seung, I am grateful for your visit. It provides me the opportunity to congratulate you on your victory in the Fire Nation's assault," he bowed towards his old friend.

"Lord Chin-Hwa," he bowed in thanks. "I thank you for your words, but am more relieved in the safety of the village and those who reside within it." As he finished the sentence he caught sight of Xiu, his cheeks taking on a sudden redness. He regretted not being able to spend the festival with her.

She blushed, wishing they could have spent at least some portion of the evening walking beside one another.

"I trust that the clearing of the valley goes smoothly?"

"The repairs within the village are nearly complete, we were fortunate in having the aid of so many volunteers. The clearing of the valley surrounding the village is nearly halfway done. Lord Bo," he turned his attention towards the exile, the mention of the valley itself reminding him of the firebender's actions. "I thank you for your role in protecting the other end of the village."

"Hmm," he bowed politely, impressed by the general's eloquence.

"One issue remains," the earthbender rose back up to his knees, his hands planted on his thighs.

"That being?" Chin-Hwa stroked his beard calmly, hoping that nothing drastic had occurred.

"...Following our encounter with the Fire Nation, Jung reported being targeted by three Yu Yan archers. We have only located one."

"Do you believe them to be a threat?"

"No. That which Jung has described to us has made it clear that if they have escaped, they are wounded enough that they will be unable to mount any attack. Further..." he trailed off, fearing the next statement would cause alarm.

"Hmm?" Bo waited quietly for the rest of the statement.

"...The masked figure that lady Wen Lan reported...We have been unable to locate her. It has been assumed that she's taken flight with the two archers." He clenched his teeth slightly, convinced that he had somehow failed.

There was a quiet pause, Xiu lifting her hand to her mouth as she feared the threat the blade dancer represented.

"This village stood against the Fire Nation and waves of mercenaries. I will invest the same faith in you and your soldiers that I always have, and take no fear from that which you have told me." Chin-Hwa nodded his head reassuringly.

"I thank you for that," the general bowed again, rising to his feet. "Tomorrow I will leave Bai-Jing to report that which occurred to the other generals. It is my hope that this incident will bring them to recognize the threat admiral Kano represents and provide additional resources."

"I wish you luck in this," Chin-Hwa bowed. A sudden idea came to him, his smile lifting into a grin.

"My thanks," he returned the bow, preparing to leave. His old friend's voice rang out behind him.

"Seung, I suspect the journey will be somewhat long. Might I offer you Xiu's services? I suspect the aid of such a skilled servant would be of great benefit to you and your soldiers."

Xiu's eyes went wide, her face taking on a deep shade of red as stared at the old man.

Bo nodded, agreeing fully with the statement. He had no perception of Chin-Hwa's mischievous intentions.

The general turned slowly, his expression slightly nervous as his cheeks flushed. An affirmative to the request would be far too forward. Yet he felt that dismissing it would be perhaps insulting.

"In fact, I believe Xiu would be happy to help you in your expedition. Right, Xiu?" He grinned as he looked back towards her.

"Of course, lord Chin-Hwa." She spoke each word through clenched teeth, fending off every enraged urge as they crossed her mind.

"I'm not sure it would be proper," Seung began.

"Ah, I suggest the opposite. This would be a token of my appreciation to you and your soldiers for the aid you have provided this village!" he beamed, fully aware of his actions. "I have found over the years that women have a certain touch with things that men lack. Xiu will be of advantage to you."

"I..." his face grew redder as he glanced towards her.

She blushed nervously, attempting to remain hidden behind Bo.

He could not help but admire her beauty, smiling gently as he watched her. He bowed towards the old noble, his face burning as he quarreled with whether or not his decision was the right one.

"I would sincerely appreciate lady Xiu's company."

"Excellent," Chin-Hwa smiled.

She could feel her heart nearly beating out of her chest, her face growing redder as she remained behind Bo.

The old firebender glanced back towards her, suddenly realizing the situation. He smirked slightly.

"We will leave in two days time. Will that be enough...?" he looked towards the girl, hoping he was not imposing.

She fumbled for words, opening her mouth with the hope that some magnificent sentence would leap out.

"More than enough, she will meet you by the village entrance." The old noble saved the girl the trouble, smiling as he bowed towards the general. "I wish you safe travel."

"I thank you for your kindness," Seung bowed again, turning to leave.

She watched as he walked away, still blushing. Her face grew warmer as he looked back towards her, smiling nervously.

"That went very well!" Chin-Hwa mused as he looked towards her. He was answered with glaring eyes, her stare seemingly deadly.

"You'll pay for this," she leaned up towards him, clenching her fists as she whispered the threat. She turned quickly, storming towards her room in attempt to pack whatever she could possibly need for the journey.

"Hmm," Bo smirked as he glanced towards the Earth Kingdom noble.

"Yes, it is typically that entertaining," he smiled.



"Please hand me that board" Feng lowered his upper body, hanging upside down as his legs hooked over a rafter. His wounds had been healed by Yakone, his work in the village fueled by his desire to do that which he felt was honorable.

Shui handed him the plank quietly, other villagers working around them to repair any damages left by the battle.

"There," the rider observed as he hammered the final nail into place.

"Good," the firebender stepped back, folding his arms as he looked up towards the patch job. It appeared noticeable, but sturdy.

Feng dropped from the rafter, landing carefully. He studied the patch, nodding as he decided it needed no further work.

"Where to now?" Shui lifted some of the tools, walking away from the damaged building.

"That is the last of the tasks we were assigned. I advise we meet with Enlai and your partner to see if they require any aid."

"What are they taking care of?" he walked towards the village market, curious as to what the commotion was.

"They said they would be taking care of collecting supplies."

"Supplies for what?"

"I am not sure," he admitted as they turned the corner.

The two narrowed their eyes as they observed the spectacle.

"Fire Nation souvenirs for sale!" Enlai called out, Yakone sitting lazily beside him pointing towards items and explaining their nature as numerous customers hounded the group. Gang sat beside Yakone, his arms folded as he guarded a pile of Fire Nation gear.

"This one has blood in it," an overweight noble asked arrogantly. "I demand a discount."

"Hey, do we charge more for blood or less?" Enlai turned towards Yakone. The waterbender glanced towards Gang with a shrug.

"More!" the now bald guard slammed his fist against the ground. "Means they went down with a fight!"

"I see!" the old noble nodded as if he had completely understood the importance of the blood. He gladly handed over his coins, walking away proudly with the helmet in tow.

"This is in poor taste," Feng pushed his way through the crowd, glaring down towards the three with disapproval.

"I thought you said you were collecting supplies," Shui glared towards Yakone.

"We are," the waterbender grinned as he took some coins, handing off a Fire Nation spear. "We're collecting Fire Nation stuff, selling it, and then usin' the money to get the supplies."

"What 'supplies'?" Feng folded his arms, suspicious of their intentions.

"Food," Enlai answered.

"Night on the town with the ladies," Yakone winked towards a girl as he handed her a Fire Nation dagger. He smirked as she blushed and giggled.

"Sake!" Gang nodded his head.

"Yeah, that too," Enlai chimed in.

"How much for that huge armor right there?" A pompous looking noble asked.

"How much you got?" Gang grinned as he glanced back towards what had been Hitoshi's armor.

"Did you at least take care of Ryo and Kyo, like Li Mei asked?" the firebender continued staring hatefully towards his rival.

"Relax, took care of it," he nodded his head towards the distance.

Shui and Feng turned to face the other side of the street, the two ostrich horses walking by with a sloppily painted banner tied between them reading "Fire Nation souvenirs."

The two beasts were followed immediately by Boots, with the words "On sale now" painted over his side.

"...I recommend we visit the tea house," Feng resigned to avoiding the debate entirely, walking in the direction of Min's shop.

"Sounds good," the firebender followed, understanding that no argument would be worthwhile.

"Does this armor come in any different colors?" the wife of the arrogant noble asked.

"Stupid question?" Gang glanced towards the waterbender.

"Stupid question."

"Boots! Snack!" he brought his hand to his mouth as he called out to his beast.

"Eh!?" she cried out as the komodo rhino pushed her over, licking at her footwear. She shrieked, crawling away quickly as the other patrons crowded around them to purchase the souvenirs.



"Kyoshi Island?" the young noble asked as she walked beside him.

The setting sun gave a soft orange tint to the forest path, the air warm as they enjoyed one another's company. Jung had removed his mask, the village far behind them.

"Yes."

"I have only ever heard of it. Are you looking forward to the trip?" she smiled with soft excitement as she looked towards him.

"It will be my first time away from the valley in years," the response gave no clear answer to her question, hinting instead at a slight worry.

"Perhaps that is something positive?"

"Perhaps," he smiled gently.

"You could even find a turtle carrying a mountain upon his back," she laughed lightly, recalling the story.

"Or a phoenix with feathers of flame," he countered.

"...You will be safe, yes?" her smile remained, her eyes looking towards the ground as she worried. The frequency at which she had seen her love wounded had made it impossible to avoid the question.

"Yes," he nodded with quiet confidence, having already resolved to prevent any fate that would bring her strife.

"I am glad," she looked to his face, smiling as she admired his features.

"I will return as soon as I can," he promised as his pace slowed.

"I will wait for you. With tea," she offered, coming to a stop. She turned her body to face his.

He smiled at this, appreciating her beauty as the soft sunset touched against her skin.

Her hand touched over his shoulder, leaning up as she closed her eyes. She touched her lips to his softly, the sleeves of her robe brushing over his waist as she brought her arms around him.

He returned the affection, kissing tenderly as he brought his arms around her. As their lips parted he held her, smiling as he soaked in her scent.

The two held each other in the soft illumination of the sunset, drawing confidence from one another's warmth.

A soft wind blew gently over the valley, the roses dancing at its touch.
Sign up to rate and review this story