Categories > Cartoons > Class of the Titans

A Bad Day

by story_master 11 reviews

Jay's day starts out fine but takes a nosedive when he recieves the worst news possible. But he has to keep it together for his team. Can he do it alone? Okay this is just a random one-shot I had f...

Category: Class of the Titans - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Published: 2006-10-16 - Updated: 2006-10-17 - 2231 words - Complete

3Ambiance
Tory: Okay this is my first one-shot and my first song-fic. So please be kind. It was drivng me nuts not writing, or typing, it out so here it is. As for my other stories I will update as soon as I can. With I hope is soon. That's all I have to say for now. Enjoy....

Disclaimer: I do not own Class of the Titans, or the song ' Bad Day' by Daniel Powter.


Jay woke up early, as usual, on a beautiful autumn saturday morning. He stretched and did his morning routine: sowered, got dressed and headed downstairs. Much to his surprise, he found that he was not the only one up. In fact almost everyone, minus Neil, was up and about. They said their good mornings in between bits of breakfast. Little did Jay know that on this day his life would change...

The phone in the living room as Neil decided to grace the others with his presence. HE picked it up.

" Hello?" he asked.

After a few seconds he looked into the kitchen.

" Jay, it's for you." Neil said as his leader came over to him.

Jay took the phone and walked into the living room.

" Hello?" Jay asked, wondering who was calling.

" Hello is this Jay Morrow?" the voice on the other side said.

" Yes. Who is this?" Jay replied.

" I'm Dr. Sanders from the NewPort Hospital." the voice, a man, said.

Jay's heart stopped and he held his breathe. Then the doctor continued.

" Your mother and father were admitted yesturday after being in a serious car wreck. Their van was hit by an oncoming truck. We did all we could. I'm terribly sorry for you loss." the doctor continued.

After that point Jay didn't hear anything. The phone slipped out of his hand and clattered on the floor. A look of shock and horror froze on his face. By now the others were in the living room.

" Jay? Jay?" they called his name but got no response.

After a few more seconds he snapped out of his shocked and horrified state and glanced at his friends with that look like a deer in head lights. Then without warning he took off. He just ran out of the door. The others were left there with a look of sursprise on their faces.

Jay walked down the streets of New Olympia kicking leaves as he went, as if they were the cause of his problems. The beautiful blue sky had turned grey with the incoming storm clouds which almost imitated Jay's mood.

~Where is the moment we need at the most
You kick up the leaves and the magic is lost
They tell me your blue skies fade to grey
They tell me your passion's gone away~

At the brownstone Theresa had picked up the phone that Jay had dropped. She finished talking to the doctor and when she set down the phone she had the same look as Jay did.

" What is it?" Atlanta asked quietly as if the slightest loud noise would shatter their world.

" I... I have to go find Jay." she replied before heading out the door too.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jay had gone to a local coffee shop to get some coffee, hoping to clear his thoughts. He took it and began to walk around ton once more. He took a seat in the park that the seven of them used to go to all the time. A blank look was on his face as he tried to wrap his mind around what the doctor had told him.

Theresa came running into the park. She looked around and spotted him. Then she ran up to him.

" Jay." she said breathlessly as she stood in front of him with her hands on her knees.

He didn't reply. He was still lost in his mind.

" Jay?" she asked a little quieter, placing her hand on his shoulder.

" How can that happen? Just like that?" he asked, talking more to himself than anything but he looked at her as if she held the anwer.

" Jay, I'm so sorry." Theresa said comfortingly.

" They're gone. In a matter of minutes. Just gone." Jay said still absentmindedly.

Theresa wrapped her arms around Jay and pulled him into a warm and comforting hug.

" It'll be okay Jay." she whispered.

Jay suddenly stood up and looked at her. She had a questioning look on her face. A small small spread across Jay's face.

" Thanks. We'd better get back. The guys are probably wondering where we are." Jay said as he turned to leave.

" Are you sure you'll be okay?" she asked, not moving from her spot on the bench.

" Yeah. I'm sure." he replied as he turned once more to leave.

Theresa got up and followed him. In her gut she knew that he wasn't okay.

~You stand in the line just to hit a new low
You're faking a smile with the coffee to go
You tell me your life's been way off line
You're falling to pieces everytime~

The two got back and no one mentioned the phone call. Even Neil kept quiet. The rest of the day went by rather slowly for Jay. His mind keot focusing on what the doctor had said. No matter how hard he tried he couldn't focus on anything else. Soon enough night arrived and one by one the heroes headed to bed, Jay being the first.

Soon after all the lights were off and he was sure that everyone was asleep he snuck out of his room and headed up to the roof. He sat out there in just a sweater and track pants. For the longest time he thought he was up there alone.

" Jay...?" Theresa said slowly as she stepped out on to teh roof.

He turned and looked at her before turning back to the city's lights. She walked over and sat beside him. She looked at him but he refused to meet her gaze.

" Jay. It's okay not to be fine." Theresa spoke first.

" I'm fine really. I just couldn't sleep." he lied and forced a small smile.

But even in the dark Theresa could tell how much pain he was in.

" Jay. After you left I picked up the phone to say goodbye but the doctor said that I should tell you your sister survied. He said that she was in the back seat of their van. He said that she'll be staying with you aunt. I'm really sorry Jay." she continued, placing her hand on his.

" I'm fine, really." he said.

Theresa just looked at him and he knew that she could tell he was lying through his teeth.

" I just need to be strong for the team. In case Cro-" Theresa cut him off.

" Jay I swear if you say something about Cronus...." She trailed off and paused before continuing, " Jay we're here to support and help you. You don't alway need ot be strong for everyone. There are six more of us you know."

" But, I'm the leader." Jay said.

" Yeah but we're all a team." Theresa said.

There was a short silence before any of them spoke again.

" How can they just be gone?" Jay wondered aloud.

" I know how that feels..." Theresa started, wanting to be there for Jay.

He looked at her and gave her a confused expression. She turned away from his gaze and looked out at the city.

" When I was ten my mom died. She was in a car crash too. It was late and she was hit by an oncoming car with a drunk driver behind the wheel. I know what it's like to want more answers. To want to forget about and pretend it's all okay. But no matter how hard I tried to pretend it just... just wasn't.... I just couldn't ignore the fact that she was gone and... she wasn't going to come back." Theresa explained, tears forming in hers eyes as she spoke. When she was finished she wiped them away.

" How did you deal with it? How did you just keep going?" Jay asked, still looking intently at her.

" I just took it one day at a time. That's all you can do. But pretending like it didn't happen won't help. You just need to go at your own pace." Theresa replied, more tears forming as she remembered her mom.

~'Cause you had a bad day
You're taken one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around
You say you don't know
You tell me don't lie
You work at a smile and you go for a ride
You had a bad day
The camera don't lie
You're coming back down and you really don't mind
You had a bad day
You had a bad day~

Jay put his arm around Theresa's waist and pulled her close to him. She wrapped her arm around his shoulders and they sat like that for the longest time. The two talked about their parents and Theresa tried the best she could to comfort Jay. As the night wore they became sleepy and eventually fell asleep on the roof, both lying in one chair.

When the morning came the tow got up and walked downstairs, fingers interlocked. They felt so much closer to each other now. Now they understood something more about one another. As they entered the kitchen it was really quiet still. Jay looked at everyone, and their eyes all darted away.

" It's okay. You guys can ask me if you want." he said with a little laugh at their behaviour.

" Okay... What was the phone call about? Why did you run out of the house like that?" Neil asked slowly, and he recieved a glare from both Archie and Atlanta.

" The phone call was from a doctor from my home town. It was about my parents. They were in an accident and didn't make it." Jay said slowing down towards the end.

" Are you okay?" Atlanta asked sympathetically.

" Oh course he's not okay! His parents just died and---" Archie stopped and looked at Jay, " Uhh, sorry man."

" It's okay guys. I'll be fine. It'll just take some time." he said as he and Theresa exchanged glances and smiles.

" Jay, you want to go for a walk?" Theresa asked as she stood up from her seat.

" Sure." he said and the two left the brownstone.

Theresa pulled his hand and started to pull him somewhere.

" Where are we going?" he asked, not being able to contain the smile that crept across his face from being so close to Theresa.

" You'll see." She said, grinning back at him as she continued to pull him along the streets.

Before long they reached the docks. Theresa sat down on the edge and Jay sat beside her.

" Why are we here?" he asked in confusion.

" Well I find that it helps if you just sit peacefully with the ones you care about." she replied, blushing.

Jay smiled and blushed too. Theresa leaned against him as they watched the rising sun.

~Well you need a blue sky holiday
The point is to laugh at what you say~

~'Cause you had a bad day
You're taken one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around
You say you don't know
You tell me don't lie
You work at a smile and you go for a ride
You had a bad day
The camera don't lie
You're coming back down and you don't seem to mind
You had a bad day~

Jay knew that with Theresa helping him, he could get through this. He just knew it. The two continued to sit there until it was nearly noon. The whole time just sitting in silence. No words were needed. In the end Jay felt as if the whole thing was just a bad day, and because of Theresa it wouldn't be one that repeated itself. After noon they decided to walk back to the brownstone. They took the long way waling through the leaf covered sidewalks, kicking leaves as they went.

~Sometimes the system goes on the blink
And the whole thing turns out wrong
You might not make it back and you know
That you could be well oh that strong
And I'm not wrong~

~So where is the passion when you need it the most
Oh you and I
You kick up the leaves and the magic is gone~

~'Cause you had a bad day
You're taken one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around
You say you don't know
You tell me don't lie
You work at a smile and you go for a ride
You had a bad day
The camera don't lie
You're coming down adn you don't seem to mind
You had a bad day
You had a bad day~

~*~

A/N: There you have it. My first one shot and song fic. I hope you liked. Please rate and review telling me whether or not you liked it. But please be kind. Sorry that this was a little sad but I did add a happy ending so I hope that that makes up for it. The next one shot I write I will make a A/A one for all the a/a fans out there. Well I hoped you liked it. Please R&R. :)
Sign up to rate and review this story