Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Sophomore Slump...or Comeback of the Damn Century

you're the last thing i wanna see underneath the tree

by killxsmile 6 reviews

a blast from the past stirs up trouble.

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance - Published: 2006-12-11 - Updated: 2006-12-12 - 1866 words

2Exciting
Author's Note: Sorry this update's a little late. Homework occupied almost all of my weekend.

Hugs go out to:
moocow
pixied_secrets
someone
PiecesInMe
sing4me09
FrostedGlass
xloveorsympathy

I coffee you guys thiiiiiiis muuuuuuch. Seriously.

c h a p t e r NINETEEN
{ you're the last thing i wanna see underneath the tree

*
Emily's POV

Waking up in a tangled mess with Pete--it was the definition of perfect. He was mumbling something inaudible as sunlight streamed in through my window. I looked up at him, and his eyes were already on mine.

"Morning, lovely."
"Morning," I said, nuzzling against his neck. We laid like that for a few minutes, just listening to each other's breathing.

"We could take our heads off, stay in bed
Just make love that's all
Just stay with me now..." Bert McCraken sang.

"Sounds like a good idea," Pete said, agreeing with my alarm clock radio. I laughed and hit snooze.
"It does."


THUD!

My eyes snapped open. I looked up and saw that snow was stuck to the window. My awesome memory within a dream was interrupted by my cousins having a snowball fight.
"Sorry, Emi!" Sarah shouted.
"It's okay. Don't worry about it."

Christmas morning in Japan. Definitely a sight to see. A blanket of snow covered everything outside, reminding me of a Hallmark card. In the two weeks I'd been there, I had seen a lot of things, but this was definitely at the top of my list.

"Emi, what are you doing?" my aunt asked, bringing me back to Earth.
"Oh, just looking outside. It's really pretty." I said from the sofa. I yawned, still tired from the party last night. There was food, family and karaoke until 2 in the morning. At my aunt's house, we party on Christmas Eve and sleep in when Christmas actually comes.

"Emi, Merry Christmas!" Ben said, flying into my lap.
"Hey, buddy. Merry Christmas to you too!"
"Oh, here. Your phone went off when you were asleep," he said, handing it over.
"Thank you."

As I dialed my voicemail, Ben sped off after my aunt's cat, Ichigo. The automated voice greeted me, and I quickly typed in my password.

"You have 2 new messages. Message one."

EMIIII! It's Christina...and Joe...and Patrick...and Andy! Pete's upstairs listening to music upstairs right now, but expect a call from him later. Anyways, we wish you a merry Christmas and a kickass new year! Ack! Wait a sec, I'm still talking shuffles Em, it's Trick. Yeah, hold on a sec, Christina. Ow! Before the crazy she devil gets the phone back, I'd just like to say that I miss you tons and tons. Decorating the tree wasn't as fun without you. No one was there to help me stop Joe from eating all the popcorn. Anyways, Merry Christmas Eve! You deserve the best. Ouch! Okay, okay, here's the phone back...Christina here again. And Joe! As I was saying, hope you're having a wonderful time in Japan. Yeah, Emi, we miss you bunches and wish you were here...Hey! more shuffling Emi, it's Andy. Christina and her boy toy are going to beat me up, so I'll keep this short. I miss you and hope your Christmas is ninjatastic! Please, not the face! Well, we have to go Em. Say hi to Ben and your mom for us! Love you!

I couldn't help but smile. My friends pwn.

Message two.

Hey, Em. It's Pete. I got you're letter and all I can say is ...wow. I wish you were here under my tree; Christmas will be extra cold without you...Well, Patrick is pounding on my door, something about a she devil, so I guess I'll have to cut this message a little short. I miss you. I love you. And I can't wait until you're back. Astronaut Wentz, over and out.

What did I do to deserve that boy? Perfect doesn't even begin to describe--

"What are you doing here?" I heard from the door. As soon as I reached the doorway, I stopped in my tracks.

"Dad?" He stepped forward, but my mom blocked the way.
"I just want to talk to them."

I couldn't process what was in front of me. How did he know we were here? Why did he want to talk to us? What is he thinking? What am I thinking? What am I supposed to think?

Ben chased Ichigo into the room, but once he saw my dad, he froze then stood behind my leg.

"Please, let me just talk to them," he pleaded. My mom didn't budge.
"Would either of you like to talk to your father?" she asked, monotone.

I stood there, thinking, trying to sort through the billions of emotions running through my brain.

"Yeah, I want to." She moved aside and watched him closely. He sat down at the table, and I followed suit.

"What...Why are you here?"
"I want to get to know you and Ben. I've missed you."
"After you left, we were devastated, did you know that? We called your cell phone, and it said it wasn't in service anymore. Mom called your office and your boss said you quit. The last time saw you was at the courthouse."
"I've--I've changed-" Changed? What do you mean "changed"?
"I've played this out a billion times in my head," I said, cutting him off. "I had a billion questions to ask you--Why did you do it? Where did you go? Who were you with? When, if ever, would you come back?-- but you know what? We're better off without you. You turned your back on me, mom, Ben and Jess. No one forced you to, but you did."
"I'm sorry..."
"You're apologies are seven years too late, dad. Merry Christmas, I could care less." I stood up and left the table, heading for my room. Ben followed. I heard my mom say goodbye to him and close the door.

I sat on my bed.

My heart was racing.

I was ANGRY beyond measure.
UPSET.
CONFUSED.

But at the same time, I was relieved. I had finally told my dad what I thought of him. It was harsh, but the truth. I couldn't lie to my dad, to my mom or especially to Ben. After years of keeping it bottled up, the cork came flying off. I felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders, so why were tears welling in my eyes?

I forgot Ben was there until he sat at the foot of the bed. "Emi, are you okay?" he asked, touching my shoulder.
"Yeah, Ben. I'm fine." I had to stay strong for his sake. Whatever was going on in his head was probably 10 times more confusing for him. After all, he was only a year old when my dad left. "What about you?"
"I'm okay...You were right. He made you and mommy sad, so we're better off without him." I wished that I could see things through Ben's eyes. He seemed so innocent and put together. He pulled me into a hug.

"You want to be alone?" Ben knew me too well.
"Yeah, if you don't mind."
"I'll go play with Ichigo, but just call me if you get really sad, okay?" I smiled at how sweet he was.
"Okay."

Ben hopped off the bed and closed the door behind him. I grabbed a stack of post-its and started writing down what I feeling one each of them.

Confused

Sad

Relieved

Angry

Regretful

"Take something ugly and turn it into something beautiful," I said, quoting my mom. Then I folded each square into a paper crane. I don't know why it worked, but it always made me feel better.

Deciding that moping wouldn't do any good, I decided to call Pete. I needed to talk to someone about the events that transpired. As I reached for my phone, it started ringing.

"ASTRONAUT" flashed across the screen.

"Hello!" I said.
"Hey, Emi."
"Psychic much?" I asked.
"I like to think I have cool powers like that."
"I know you have cool powers like that. After all, you're making me smile all the way from Chicago despite what's going on over here."
"Wait, what's going on over there? Did I miss something?" he asked in a concerned tone.
"My dad. He--He stopped by for a visit."
"Oh..." insert awkward silence here "What happened? I mean, if you wanna talk about it."
"He said that we was sorry and he wanted to get to know Ben and I. Seven years without hearing a word from him, then all of a sudden he was in my aunt's kitchen apologizing. I'm usually not the type to get angry, but that was just too much. I yelled at him and stormed off...Now I don't know if that was the right thing to do..."

*
Peter's POV

I wasn't sure what to say. Emi never talked about her dad. All I know is he left without an explanations when she was 10 years old and after the divorce hearing, she never heard from him.

"I've never been in your position, but if I was there, I would have done the same. Leaving the way he did, then not making so much as a phone call or sending a letter in seven years..."
"I know it's a lot to take in..." she sighed. "Fuck, I'm sorry for dumping all of this onto you."
"Emi, it's fine. I just wish I could help."
"You're helping just by listening....Now that I've got my emo shit out of the way, how was your Christmas...eve? Sorry, the time difference has me a little confused."
"Well, it's almost midnight here. Just a few minutes away from Christmas... So far it's been good. Christina was chasing Andy and Patrick around for stealing her cell."
"Yeah, I heard some of that on the voicemail they left," she laughed.

We talked for another half an hour before my cell battery started beeping, indicating a low battery.

"Shit my cell's dying."
"Yeah, I can hear it making that 'duhdaduh' sound," she said. I laughed. "I'll call you tomorrow then. Merry Christmas, Pete. Love you."
"Love you too, Emi."

*
Emily's POV

After talking to Pete, I felt somewhat better. I could swear that boy was magical.

Then during lunch my mom told my aunt that we'd be on the next plane home.

"It just doesn't feel right staying here after Caleb stopped by."
"Are you sure? You shouldn't let that stop you from enjoying the rest of your vacation," my aunt said.
"But every time I walk into this room, I'll be reminded of him. I just don't think it would be good for me or the kids."
"Okay. I'll help book the flight."

The rest of the meal was silent, due to my dad's earlier presence in the room. After eating, my mom called the travel agency and booked a morning flight to Chicago. Ben and I packed our bags.

So much for a "Merry Christmas."

The next morning, we quickly ate breakfast. Then my aunt and uncle drove us to the airport.

*
Review. It'll make me smile.
Sign up to rate and review this story